Author Topic: What DT's Distance Over Time 2019 Tour Setlist Should Have Been?  (Read 9760 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: What DT's Distance Over Time 2019 Tour Setlist Should Have Been?
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
Honestly I would have been 100% happy if they played DoT for the first set and SFAM for the second.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »
I was completely happy seeing the band on this tour. I am not a fan of one of the major songs in the first set that they played, and only lukewarm on the other that was met with happiness from others, but it is what it is. I had a great time regardless.

If I were constructing the setlist, here is generally what I would have done:

set 1

intro
Song 1 from DoT
Song 2 from DoT
Awake Suite (rotate between side A and side B of the record each night)
Song 3 from DoT
A song from WDADU (rotate a few)
Pale Blue Dot (set closer)

set 2

Metropolis pt. 1
SFAM

encore:

Ytse Jam
In the Name of God

>>>>But I bet 90 percent of everyone would have a huge problem with that set.  LOL. The bottom line is, Dream Theater is always in a no-win situation with the setlist. It's a great problem to have, but on the other hand, it must get awfully frustrating to hear complaints about it. So, I'm just happy they have a great new record, are playing a bunch from it, and are playing live at a great level.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »
^I would have been just fine with that^
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Mladen

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »
If they hadn't decided to do a SFAM anniversary and maybe took some of our votes we submitted to Bosk into account, I wish it were something like this:

1. Pale blue dot
2. The Glass prison
3. Untethered angel
4. Paralyzed
5. Surrender to reason
6. Dystopian overture
7. The Gift of music
8. Take the time
---
9. In the presence of enemies 1
10. Barstool warrior
11. S2N
12. Scarred
13. Only a matter of time
14. At wit's end
15. Beneath the surface
16. The Spirit carries on
17. Finally free
----
18. Octavarium

I hated not having FII, TOT and BC&SL represented, but that would only be possible on a tour that doesn't promote a particular album.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »
I was completely happy seeing the band on this tour. I am not a fan of one of the major songs in the first set that they played, and only lukewarm on the other that was met with happiness from others, but it is what it is. I had a great time regardless.

If I were constructing the setlist, here is generally what I would have done:

set 1

intro
Song 1 from DoT
Song 2 from DoT
Awake Suite (rotate between side A and side B of the record each night)
Song 3 from DoT
A song from WDADU (rotate a few)
Pale Blue Dot (set closer)

set 2

Metropolis pt. 1
SFAM

encore:

Ytse Jam
In the Name of God

>>>>But I bet 90 percent of everyone would have a huge problem with that set.  LOL. The bottom line is, Dream Theater is always in a no-win situation with the setlist. It's a great problem to have, but on the other hand, it must get awfully frustrating to hear complaints about it. So, I'm just happy they have a great new record, are playing a bunch from it, and are playing live at a great level.

I'm guessing the line between "side A and side B" of Awake comes between The Silent Man and The Mirror, but either way, I think that would be a prohibitively long show.  Awake through TSM is 37:05, and the second half is 37:51 (based on the song lengths shown on Wikipedia), but let's say 40 minutes either way.  PBD takes that up to somewhere between 45-50 minutes, and three other DOT songs and a song from WDADU would add another 20-30 minutes, so you've got a first set somewhere between 65-80 minutes.  Then you're adding 10 minutes to the 77+ minute SFAM set and bumping the 8+ minute encore to 20 minutes.

Not saying I wouldn't enjoy it (although Innocence Faded, The Mirror and Lie can go suck a lemon), but I think it might kill James!  In any event, I agree that DT is in a no-win situation when it comes to constructing set lists.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline H2

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2019, 11:54:26 AM »
This past setlist was incredible. I would have dropped PMU (which often pushes James past his limits nowadays) and have had AWE as the encore instead.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2019, 08:55:34 PM »
I was very happy with the setlist of the D/T tour, save for Pull Me Under but that didn't really ruin the shows for me.
As I've said before, one fan's perfect set list is another's nightmare, a lot of the stuff mentioned here would have sent me home unhappy after the show.
It's a coin toss, it's also how they do it, like that thing they did during the AFTR tour, where they had a chunk of SFAM and a chunk of Awake, was a complete buzz kill for me. I'd rather hear this full album or that full album or even 2 or 3 songs from one album scattered across the setlist but not this not-a-suite-but-like-a-suite type format.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2019, 08:58:23 PM »
one fan's perfect set list is another's nightmare,

So true, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2019, 09:13:33 PM »

As I've said before, one fan's perfect set list is another's nightmare, a lot of the stuff mentioned here would have sent me home unhappy after the show.
It's a coin toss, it's also how they do it, like that thing they did during the AFTR tour, where they had a chunk of SFAM and a chunk of Awake, was a complete buzz kill for me. I'd rather hear this full album or that full album or even 2 or 3 songs from one album scattered across the setlist but not this not-a-suite-but-like-a-suite type format.

Funny, to prove your point; I actually LOVED the format the of mini-suite from the AFTR tour. Much prefer it over playing entire albums (although SFaM might be the one exception). It allows the band to pay homage to the album without sacrificing half of the concert time to it.

I think the AFtR setlist is probably the second best setlist they’ve ever done after  maybe the Octavarium tour.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2019, 12:50:57 AM »
I had this set up as a Spotify playlist before the tour started, and would totally be thrilled to hear it live -

1. Pale Blue Dot
2. Paralyzed
3. Misunderstood
4. Three Days
5. Room 137
6. Barstool Warrior
7. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
8. At Wit's End

If I were to expand it into two sets I'd probably focus on the anniversaries, since they wanted to do the SfaM thing this tour, and go with something like...

9. Through My Words
10. Fatal Tragedy
11. Beyond This Life
12. Untethered Angel
13. Erotomania
14. Voices
15. The Silent Man
16. S2N

17. Home

Probably rotate Misunderstood with Peruvian Skies, Paralyzed with Fall into the Light and The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun with Light Fuse and Get Away.

Pays lip service to the anniversary albums (except Black Clouds) if that's what you're into. Still works as a normal setlist if you don't care about anniversaries.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2019, 06:59:59 AM »
Given the songs that were played last night and what was played so far this year, I think this would be a bad ass set list that includes every song they have played so far this year plus others:

Set 1
Untethered Angel
A Nightmare to Remember
Paralyzed
Barstool Warrior
The Dance of Eternity
Lie
Out of Reach
Pale Blue Dot

Set 2
In the Presence of Enemies Part 1
Fall into the Light
Room 137 / S2N (rotated)
Surrender to Reason
Erotomania
Home
At Wit's End
Peruvian Skies

Encore
As I Am
Pull Me Under

Online Mladen

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »
I like that one a lot.  :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 05:30:56 PM »
My one and only complaint was that At Wits end wasn't on the setlist. Besides that I loved it

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2019, 08:31:35 AM »
Not really saying anything new here, but:  I'm glad they went full-bore with the SFAM anniversary on this tour.  I DON'T want to see full albums every tour, or even every few tours.  But the ones they have done lately have made a lot of sense.  The TA tour, it's obvious why they did that.  Following it up with the I&W tour was a GREAT idea, both given the major anniversary and the opportunity to reconnect with fans that may not have been into the detour with TA.  The SFAM full album presentation also makes a ton of sense, given the major milestone anniversary and the fact that they haven't played it in the U.S. in its entirety since, I believe, the original SFAM tour.  It was truly special seeing them doing the entire thing live again 20 years after release.  Even though it made the rest of the show really short and limited what they could do, it was totally worth it.  We got enough of the new album where you cannot say they neglected it at all, and we will likely get a lot more of it the next time they come through.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »
We got enough of the new album where you cannot say they neglected it at all, and we will likely get a lot more of it the next time they come through.

Are they doing another tour in the US after Europe? That would be cool to see them again.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2019, 11:27:11 AM »
Well, I think Europe can expect at least one non-festival d/t support tour leg.  And unless I am misremembering, I am fairly certain I recall them saying there will be another U.S. leg.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2019, 05:18:12 PM »
Well, I think Europe can expect at least one non-festival d/t support tour leg.  And unless I am misremembering, I am fairly certain I recall them saying there will be another U.S. leg.

Cool. I'll keep an eye on the tour schedule.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2019, 08:56:52 PM »
Hoping the SFAM anniversary thing is the last one for quite a while. Also would have liked to get two shorter songs in place of ANTR.

Also, do you think the band likes, dislikes or is indifferent to playing almost the same setlist in every city since MP left the band, since I think it was his doing to try and play different songs based on what was played in that city the last time.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2019, 11:12:32 PM »
You remembered right. JP mentioned to me they'd do another round of touring in North America after the summer run in Europe, and then they'd do a second round of touring in Europe, I believe at the beginning of 2020. To be honest, I found it a bit strange, since I would have thought they'd want to hit Asia/Oceania and South America first before going back through Europe or North America again. On top of that, I wouldn't expect they continue playing SFaM as the second set when they do the second run through North America, and yet I'd expect they would do it in Europe when they do a proper Evening With tour there. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out in terms of touring and what the setlist(s) end up being.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2019, 11:31:29 PM »
Following it up with the I&W tour was a GREAT idea...

Apologies for my ignorance, but I thought that tour wasn't as well received as expected, either in terms of critical acclaim or attendance numbers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2019, 12:14:03 AM »
Following it up with the I&W tour was a GREAT idea...

Apologies for my ignorance, but I thought that tour wasn't as well received as expected, either in terms of critical acclaim or attendance numbers.

Hmm...I heard the same about The Astonishing tour. I was under the impression the Images & Words tour was at least in part due to the result of The Astonishing. I can only speak for Herrick but I had no interest in seeing them play The Astonishing. I have warmed up to the the album since it came out. Butt when I heard about the Images and Words tour I thought "We're there, dude."

I think those who loved The Astonishing would've been like, "Sheeeit Negro!" when they heard about the upcoming Images & Words Anniversary tour. And those of us who weren't into The Astonishing probably had the same reaction up to 11.

Online DTA

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2019, 03:48:13 AM »
Hoping the SFAM anniversary thing is the last one for quite a while. Also would have liked to get two shorter songs in place of ANTR.

Also, do you think the band likes, dislikes or is indifferent to playing almost the same setlist in every city since MP left the band, since I think it was his doing to try and play different songs based on what was played in that city the last time.

I’m sure the band likes playing the same set on a tour leg. Who wouldn’t? I imagine having to constantly learn extra songs on the road makes touring even more tedious whereas having a specific set of songs locked in makes everything easier. Plus they change it up completely for the next leg so it’s not like they’re doing the same songs over again each time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »
I was under the impression the Images & Words tour was at least in part due to the result of The Astonishing.

Yes and no.  I have never asked that question directly, so maybe I would get a different answer if I did.  But here's my understanding based on some things they told me over time:  The first leg of The Astonishing tour was fine.  They numbers were a bit low in some locations, but that was fine and they somewhat expected that not everyone would like the direction they where choosing with that album.  The second leg was supposed to be almost entirely locations they had not played on the previous leg.  It was not booked correctly, and the band was not happy about it.  They ended up instead playing a lot of markets they had already played on the first leg.  The alternations to the set where they cut a few TA songs and added the encore WAS a reaction to that.

They hadn't planned the I&W tour, but realized the anniversary was coming up, and decided to do it mainly because of the landmark anniversary.  The mis-booking of the second leg of the TA tour may have had some influence as well, but I have never heard that from them.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »
The first leg of The Astonishing tour was fine.  They numbers were a bit low in some locations, but that was fine and they somewhat expected that not everyone would like the direction they where choosing with that album.  The second leg was supposed to be almost entirely locations they had not played on the previous leg.  It was not booked correctly, and the band was not happy about it.  They ended up instead playing a lot of markets they had already played on the first leg.
Bosk, do you know what the band thought of the South American leg of the The Astonishing tour? For instance: did they think that the album was well received? How was the booking here? What was JP's and Jordan's opinion of their Q&A in Argentina?

Thanks! :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2019, 09:46:52 PM »
I actually have no idea about that. 

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »
OK, thanks anyway!

Offline H2

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2019, 12:52:54 PM »
I'd really love to see them do SDOIT in its entirety. Along with SFAM and IAW, it stands out to me as an album well-suited to being performed in its entirety. (Maybe SC as well, but definitely SDOIT.)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2019, 10:19:33 AM »
I'd really love to see them do SDOIT in its entirety. Along with SFAM and IAW, it stands out to me as an album well-suited to being performed in its entirety. (Maybe SC as well, but definitely SDOIT.)

Given that the timing probably works out for the tour in support of the next album to happen in 2022, it wouldn't surprise me to see SDOIT (the song) done in its entirety.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed since I missed the SDOIT tour.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »
I would be shocked if they did the entire album in its entirety.  That's a huge chunk of time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »
I would be shocked if they did the entire album in its entirety.  That's a huge chunk of time.

On the other hand, SDOIT (the song) is significantly shorter than SFAM, which is why I think it's a legit possibility.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2019, 04:39:44 PM »
Personally, I *really* hope they are done with the anniversary tours after this one, at least for a LONG time. But if they were to do some sort of anniversary tour for SDoIT, I would rather they play all of disc 1 rather than disc 2. Parts of disc 2 have gotten far more air time live than disc 1, and it's about time they get featured live again.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »
Personally, I *really* hope they are done with the anniversary tours after this one, at least for a LONG time.

I'm with you!

But if they were to do some sort of anniversary tour for SDoIT,

Please, no.

I seriously don't understand all of the gushing for this album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »

Please, no.

I seriously don't understand all of the gushing for the title track. 4 of the 5 songs on disc 1 are top tier material.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »
Yeah, now that I've seen SFAM live, I can agree with no more anniversaries heh
I definitely wouldn't wanna see time wasted on playing the entire second disc of SDOIT again, just give me War/Test and Solitary Shell then send me on my way.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2019, 11:42:46 AM »

Please, no.

I seriously don't understand all of the gushing for the title track. 4 of the 5 songs on disc 1 are top tier material.

Oh, I agree.  But I will say that for me, The Glass Prison has not aged well.