Author Topic: What DT's Distance Over Time 2019 Tour Setlist Should Have Been?  (Read 9876 times)

Offline Mojado Ilegal

[REDACTED]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:23:23 PM by Mojado Ilegal »

Offline zappafrank2112

Re: What DT's Distance Over Time 2019 Tour Setlist Should Have Been?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
I agree that *SOMETHING* off of WDADU should have been played (maybe still will be later in the year?) for the 30th anniversary.

Personally, I think The Killing Hand would have been perfect. A deep cut that most fans probably clamor for (A Fortune in Lies has been overplayed at this point, IMO).

The only other thing I was thinking is that The Count of Tuscany would have been great to bust out as an encore (PME can go in the main set).

Someone months before the tour began said he'd talked with the band about the top 3 songs that fans would like to hear, and songs like Octavarium were being tossed around.  Whatever happened with that?  Did any of the choices making it into the set?  I forget what they were.

Offline Mojado Ilegal

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 08:50:00 AM »
[REDACTED]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:23:36 PM by Mojado Ilegal »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
As I Am, Breaking All Illusions, and Metropolis Pt. 1 were all featured on the last tour.  So no way I would prefer either of them to replace anything on the current tour.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:21:28 AM »
I'll chime in saying I won't see this tour, or at least this leg of it.

I was initially disappointed to see an album other than the current one being played through in its entirety. It seems to be a big hit at least here so guess it was a good decision on their part. Seeing the first set posted online the first time was a bit of a huh? moment for me considering 1) the inclusion of ANTR and 2) the exclusion of AWE. Swap those two and my ranking of it goes way up. S2N and 137 are my least favorite songs on the new album so I wasn't sad to see those not included. I love ItPoE so that was a pleasant surprise.

I'll agree with you on the fact that something should have been played from that album, since its equally as important as Images and Words, Scenes From A Memory, Octavarium, etc.,

I disagree that something should have been included from WDaDU because 1) it's not as good as those albums and 2) it's xx anniversary isn't really worth celebrating at this point.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »
IIRC, ANTR was part of the poll results, I may be wrong about it, but if my memory serves, then they actually included some things from the poll. I'd call that "fan service". I'm not sure yet if I'll see them on this tour (seeing as there are no indoor dates for Europe yet and some other reasons)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 10:23:33 AM »
I've seen this show and enjoyed every note of it. Sure, we all want to hear certain songs but as far as shows go....this one was awesome to see live. I don't think there was anything 'wrong' with this set list.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
Personally, I would have never included SFaM in full as the second set because it eats up too much time. Maybe at the end of the year (when the 20th anniversary of the album's release actually happened) after they have toured through all the territories once, having focused on promoting d/t, but not initially. That would have allowed for them to do a much more balanced and interesting setlist.

That said, if forced to keep all of SFaM as the second set, I won't say that this is what the setlist *should* have been, but it's what I think would have made for a good setlist, and it's what my initial guess was that I submitted to JP a few weeks before the tour started:
Untethered Angel
Lost Not Forgotten
Paralyzed
A Rite of Passage *or* Panic Attack
I Walk Beside You *or* Wither
Fall Into the Light
Surrender to Reason
Out of Reach
Erotomania
Only a Matter of Time *or* The Killing Hand
At Wit's End
~~~intermission~~~
SFaM
~~~encore~~~
Pale Blue Dot

I figured it was a good balance of older and newer, including songs that had not been played in some time or especially on the previous tour. And given that they made the comment about possibly swapping some songs out from show to show, I imagined it would be older tracks that would get changed up with two setlists, not unlike what they did on the Dramatic tour.

In his response, JP said
Well, maybe I’m doing something completely wrong and should take some fan setlist surveys but your set list guess couldn’t be more off! lol.
You got the Scenes part right though!

As we know now, he wasn't kidding. So here's what my next guess was (making sure not to include any of the songs from my initial guess, aside from SFaM):
Winter World of Love (Engelbert Humperdinck intro tape)
You Not Me
Mike Thinks He's Dee Dee Ramone Introducing a Song Song
The Best Repentance of Thy Father (medley of The Best of Times, Repentance, Honor Thy Father)
Octavarium
Barstool Warrior
Your Majesty
Raw Dog
Viper King (w/ Highway Star excerpt)
Room 137
Where Are You Now?
S2N
Anna Lee
~~~intermission~~~
SFaM
~~~WDaDU tribute encore~~~
Status Seeker
Light Fuse and Get Away
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun

Purposefully off the wall with obscurities, songs they'd never play, a medley (which JP would never do) and structured in a terrible way. But since he said my guess was completely off, I figured I'd have some fun!  :biggrin:

Here was his response:
Now that made me laugh! Can you imagine if we actually did that set?!

If only they did!    :yarr
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 11:21:10 AM »
I would have paid to see that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 11:31:00 AM »
I wouldn't have changed a thing about this past set list.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 12:55:54 PM »

I would... but I have also been very happy with this set.

I would have changed the encore.  I still think The Glass Prison would have been the perfect encore.  Just let that static go for another minute or two to give them enough of a break after set 2.

And I would have added more rotation to set one.  Maybe just change up the new songs more.  In a perfect world I'd add another 20 minutes to set 1 to make it the same length as set 2.  But James has sounded great on this tour so maybe in the non perfect world its better not to push it.

Offline Mojado Ilegal

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »
[REDACTED]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:24:02 PM by Mojado Ilegal »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 02:43:26 PM »
Thank goodness you aren't in charge of the band's actual set lists.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline krands85

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 03:06:27 PM »
I could make wholesale changes and have an 'ideal' setlist, but it wouldn't be very realistic and I don't think that was really the point of the thread. But three small changes I would have preferred and seem like they could work would be:

A Nightmare to Remember --> In the Name of God
In the Presence of Enemies Pt.1 --> At Wits End
Pull me Under --> The Glass Prison

A fan favourite from the new album and two of the most requested songs from the thread on here asking what people would like to see - neither of which I think have been played live for at least a decade.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 03:09:25 PM »
These set lists seem closer to jokes than realistic possibilities...

I'll forward this saying I initially was not a fan of them doing all of SFAM but after seeing the show twice, I felt I was glad to have seen it, twice even, because it just came off so well live.  So I'm not sure if this setlist is what it "should" have been in the end, but here's an alternate realistic setlist:

Untethered Angel
Paralyzed
Surrender to Reason
A Life Left Behind
Ravenskill
Chosen
Pale Blue Dot

Intermission:

Fall Into The Light
Peruvian Skies
Afterlife
Blind Faith
~~SFAM Segment~~
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Beyond This Life
Through Her Eyes
Home
~~End SFAM Segment~~
At Wits End

Encore:

Pull Me Under

Offline Mojado Ilegal

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 04:01:21 PM »
[REDACTED]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 02:24:41 PM by Mojado Ilegal »

Offline DTA

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 04:27:25 PM »
Keeping the SFAM portion, my first set/encore would've been heavy on Mangini era songs (bear in mind, I'm keeping it realistic with the D/T songs - I bet they will play the rest of them on an upcoming tour leg).

Untethered Angel
Surrender To Reason
You Not Me
Fall Into The Light
Lost Not Forgotten
Room 137
Disappear
A New Beginning
-------
SFAM
-------
Pale Blue Dot
Our New World

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 05:01:27 PM »
I was ok with the first set list. It wasn't great but it was good. But when they didn't play Metropolis Part I for the encore, it was a big WTF moment for Herrick.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 05:14:05 PM »
Three substitutions:

Lose ANTR, ITPOE and PMU

Add The Killing Hand, Wither, Voices and Misunderstood.  Any of those songs other than Wither could swap with PMU as the encore, and the remaining three take about the same time in set 1 as ANTR and ITPOE.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 08:09:36 PM »
Thank goodness you aren't in charge of the band's actual set lists.  :lol

Mojado Ilegal must be Spanish for chaossystem.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 08:33:49 PM »
it was a perfect set-list!!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 08:37:08 PM »

Same here... I'm surprised to see the amount of people that would willingly omit Barstool Warrior from the set list  :o

Offline Volante99

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »
Ya’ll are crazy...omit Barstool Warrior THE most popular song on the album?

Swap ANtR with Voices

Swap ItPoE with Surrender to Reason and Our New World

Swap Pale Blue Dot with At Wit’s End - edit: with big EPIC Petrucci outro solo to close out the first set

Swap Pull Me Under with Glass Prison
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:10:39 PM by Volante99 »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »
Swap ANtR with Voices

Swap ItPoE with Surrender to Reason and Our New World

Swap Pale Blue Dot with At Wit’s End

Swap Pull Me Under with Glass Prison

That.... actually looks pretty sweet, though I don't know how well StR would play live, especially compared to ItPoE.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Metal_Bandicoot

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 09:46:20 PM »
I’m very pleased with the set list. The only thing I would have really changed was to swap ITPOE PT1 with PT2. I’ve been a fan for 10 years and have only seen them 4 times. Every set list has been a great surprise for me as I haven’t heard most of their catalogue live. I love that they’ve done an anniversary celebration for I&W and SFAM. They’re some of my favorite albums and I was a little kid when they were released. It’s a real treat as a younger fan. I won’t complain if they continue this trend.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2019, 07:16:57 AM »

Same here... I'm surprised to see the amount of people that would willingly omit Barstool Warrior from the set list  :o
I like it, but I like Out of Reach and At Wit's End more, so if those had been substituted it would be fine with me.

The songs sticking out like sore thumbs for me were ANTR and PMU.  But, admittedly, both were great when I saw them.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2019, 07:26:10 AM »

I like it, but I like Out of Reach and At Wit's End more, so if those had been substituted it would be fine with me.

The songs sticking out like sore thumbs for me were ANTR and PMU.  But, admittedly, both were great when I saw them.
which is the reaction the band aimed for I'm sure. You can't please everyone either with that large of a discography. I'm grateful for what I'm given at a DT concert although there were some things I would have liked to hear. (like Only A Matter or TOWHTSTS for example) Well, they may include either of these during an indoor Euro leg, what do I know.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 08:05:46 AM »

I'd rather see AWE personally.  BW was great though, no doubt. 

I wouldn't of been upset with set 1 being all of D/T and set 2 being SFAM.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 08:21:02 AM »
Set 1
Entire DOT

Set 2
Entire Awake

Encore

BAI
The medley of Pull me under/ytse jam/only the 1st 4 minutes of Octavarium/Ana Lee/Along for the Ride/Losing Faythe/back to PMU

Offline Lethean

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 08:31:21 AM »
I would also have been happy with Distance Over Time for the first set.  But - them not doing the whole album hopefully means they'll be back to play the songs they didn't get to this time around. :)  Plus, I really like how that first set flows and both ANTR and ITPOE sounded incredible.  Haven't heard either of those songs live in quite some time and I thought they were great additions.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 11:02:20 AM »
The only thing I would've changed is having Pale Blue Dot be the encore, and At Wit's End be the last song of the first set. Pull Me Under was played pretty good though, I'll admit. Better than the last two times I've seen it played with Mangini.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »
I really liked the first leg's setlist. Saw lots of songs I hadn't seen before, or at least in a long time. Wouldn't change a thing. But the set below is what I'd like to see on a second leg (assuming there is one). Lots of songs that haven't been played in a long, long time, or at all (at least for my hometown shows). Put both FITL and Paralyzed in it so everyone gets to see both this time, plus two new songs that hadn't been played before. Tried to get all the albums in there, but skipped the full album shows from the past few years (Astonishing, Images, Scenes) in favor of ones that have been overlooked in recent years. Also put more emphasis on the other MM-era albums. Didn't really look at how long this was, but there's nothing too crazy long here, so I assume it works pretty good.

Fall Into the Light
Surrender to Reason
Take Away My Pain
Paralyzed
Never Enough
Wither
The Ministry of Lost Souls
------------
The Enemy Inside
Innocence Faded
S2N
Far From Heaven
Stream of Consciousness
Outcry
Goodnight Kiss
At Wit’s End
------------
Only a Matter of Time
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »
The only thing I would've changed is having Pale Blue Dot be the encore, and At Wit's End be the last song of the first set. Pull Me Under was played pretty good though, I'll admit. Better than the last two times I've seen it played with Mangini.

I could go for this one.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 03:47:12 PM »

I could go for this one.

Better yet...leave it and have At Wit's End be the encore.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Trav86

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 04:43:06 PM »
I was a little skeptical before seeing the show last night.  ANTR has never been one of my favorites, but it just went up a few notches. I’m serious, it was incredible live! The energy and watching Mangini make it his own, it was a highlight.  And SFAM was a religious experience. That good.  What it looks like on paper (or screen) and what the actual show is, are completely different.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?