Author Topic: Dream Theater is building their own studio?  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Schurftkut

Dream Theater is building their own studio?
« on: April 27, 2019, 03:46:09 AM »
Looking at the recent video of JP on youtube, it seems they're building their own studio, have there been any comments from the band on it?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Dream Theater is building their own studio?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 06:46:49 AM »
Could you at the very least put a link to said video?

Offline Schurftkut

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 07:28:12 AM »
Looking at the recent video of JP on youtube, it seems they're building their own studio, have there been any comments from the band on it?

After all JP said at the very beggining of the video, it's obvious they have built (are building) the studio.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 09:01:30 AM »
I couldn't watch beyond a few minutes cos of that host! You're off to a bad start in my book when you start with "What's up, Sam Ashers!" Is that some kind of cult? And the overly cheesy conversational style. And the interruptions. It's like he studied at the Eddie Trunk School of Interrupting Your Guests!

So they're building a studio. If it works out, great!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »
Very cool! And they've kept this very quiet, hope they do a proper announcement soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »
I couldn't watch beyond a few minutes cos of that host! You're off to a bad start in my book when you start with "What's up, Sam Ashers!" Is that some kind of cult? And the overly cheesy conversational style. And the interruptions. It's like he studied at the Eddie Trunk School of Interrupting Your Guests!

So they're building a studio. If it works out, great!
Sam Ash is a group of musical instrument stores in the US (I've seen one when I visited NYC last year). And IIRC, JP's analysis of Barstool was shot in that same place as this video here has been.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:19:04 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
Seems like they are. Pretty cool. I think going forward they are just going to hole up wherever that studio is and do the similar thing they did for d/t. Hopefully, this new studio gets JP writing and recording for his 2nd solo album. LOL.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 07:29:13 PM »
Seems like they are. Pretty cool. I think going forward they are just going to hole up wherever that studio is and do the similar thing they did for d/t. Hopefully, this new studio gets JP writing and recording for his 2nd solo album. LOL.

Amen to that!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 09:32:25 PM »

1000% on this  :biggrin:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 01:16:32 AM »
Quick question: would you say Suspended Animation is worth listening to? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOY6nwXNteU back on topic: you can see the studio in this clip here too)

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 10:01:04 AM »
Could this new studio be any indication of an earlier next release???

I'd love to hear new stuff within a year time, following the vibe of d/t. Not trying to rush things, but I bet they are excited to write and record new music in this new set up.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:33:38 AM by evilasiojr »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 10:19:46 AM »
Could this new studio be any indication of an earlier next release???

I'd love to hear new stuff within a year time, following the vibe of d/t. Not trying rush things, but I bet they are excited to write and record new music in this new set up.
my guess is (guess!), that they simply wanted to have some place where they can come and go whenever they want and work on their own pace and with good tech specs to record good sounding albums. Add the bonus of basically being able to not be forced into timelines and deadlines by IO. (They could say: OK IO, there you go.) Yonderbarn was the first step into that kind of direction of being somewhat independent concerning studio time and this seems to be the completion of the idea I think. Either way, I actually thought that this would be something they would want to do, it just was a question of time. And we all know that they like to spend quite a bit of time in the studio too  (5 months on average in the MM era, ADTOE and DT12 took 5 months anyway) and that is expensive, so the new studio may circumvent that issue too. I may be wrong about all this though.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:40:46 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »
I wonder what is the correlation between costs and earnings. I mean, you of course have to pay a lot to build your own studio, but once you have it, you save both from never having to book another studio again, and maybe renting it out to other bands. I'm totally ignorant to the business side of these things so I don't want to sound like someone who has an easy answer, but in my ingenuity I would assume that for bands of a certain caliber having your own studio would be quite a save in the long run...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 11:28:44 AM »
I wonder what is the correlation between costs and earnings. I mean, you of course have to pay a lot to build your own studio, but once you have it, you save both from never having to book another studio again, and maybe renting it out to other bands. I'm totally ignorant to the business side of these things so I don't want to sound like someone who has an easy answer, but in my ingenuity I would assume that for bands of a certain caliber having your own studio would be quite a save in the long run...
that is my thought as well (and may have been JP's and Jimmy T's, or whoever had the idea)

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 03:45:57 PM »

Link to  the video?
And she listens openly

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Grizz

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 07:36:26 PM »
Since Octavarium, the DT guys tend to rent out studios for months at a time, and I imagine that adds up quickly. The expense is probably covered by the label though...

BearTracks and The Hit Factory, two studios associated with DT classics, shuttered about fifteen years ago. Since then they're mostly recorded at Avatar, in NYC, Cove City, on Long Island, and various places around New York (vocals are usually done in Canada now, it seems). Maybe they want to be closer to home or something, or they want to be able to be in the studio indefinitely between tours.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »
Since Octavarium, the DT guys tend to rent out studios for months at a time, and I imagine that adds up quickly. The expense is probably covered by the label though...

BearTracks and The Hit Factory, two studios associated with DT classics, shuttered about fifteen years ago. Since then they're mostly recorded at Avatar, in NYC, Cove City, on Long Island, and various places around New York (vocals are usually done in Canada now, it seems). Maybe they want to be closer to home or something, or they want to be able to be in the studio indefinitely between tours.

And maybe they want to have another way for revenue, they can easily rent that space and gain money

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 09:27:36 AM »
I think that, from what I can tell at least, they purchased the gear to record D/T in the studio they did that in. If I remember right, there were some interviews where the guys talked about it basically being an empty rehearsal space, so when they decided to do the record there, they brought in all the gear to do so.

If that was the case, this makes perfect sense, if they had already purchased a lot of the needed gear to outfit a studio, why not set up a permanent spot? Pretty cool.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »
Yes, I think both Maddi and Jimmy T were tasked with outfitting the Yonderbarn with the neccessary gear before tracking (not the compositional process mind you) started last year. And like I said, I think it was a logical step for them to be able to work undisturbed and on their own.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »
When I googled the Yonderbarn it said it was a movie studio, so that probably makes sense then
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 12:09:41 PM »

Link to  the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqOEjai2gMY

Thanks!

Wow DreamTheater head quarters their own studio and office!.. I would love to visit that! I want to steal JPs bourbon!
And she listens openly

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
Bosk not replying means there's video/promo  to come

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 06:59:31 PM »

Spot on :lol

I know we just got a new album and all that, but I would LOVE IT if just for fun they decided to record a 3 song EP or something to celebrate their studio opening. Or, maybe the 30th anniversary re-recording of WDADU with the current lineup :metal

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 08:09:36 PM »
I was so incredibly excited when I found out about this. I remember thinking they should try to buy the Yonderbarn since they loved it so much. Hopefully the new DT compound brings out as much inspiration and camaraderie as the YB did.

Getting into the reasons why - it just seems to make a ton of sense. Their band has enough money to do it, their last album was completely engineered by their own crew member who they can now hire as the head engineer, and it makes the most sense financially with their crazy write/record/release/tour/write/record/release schedule. With what's available due to today's technology, I'm sure they built that entire studio for less than what it cost them to rent out a room at Cove City Studios for six months. And the best part is, they don't have to come up with that money all at once. Over the couple of years leading up to the next album they can continue to add expensive equipment and plugins little by little. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a space for them to store JP and JM's guitars, their touring rigs, MM's different kits, etc, all of which will eliminate them renting other storage units and whatnot. To have one central DT "headquarters" is definitely the smartest thing for them. It's also good for the fans because they wouldn't be doing something like this if they didn't expect to continue doing this for many many years. I used to install recording consoles and equipment in studios all around the world. One of our clients was Metallica. I'm not really a fan of Metallica, but they have a compound/studio called HQ in the San Francisco and I loved getting to go there. I've seen what a convenience it is for them, and it's definitely something that well established bands should have.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:30:44 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 08:27:45 PM »
*snip*
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 06:41:52 AM »
or maybe not, seeing as (if I remember correctly) he initially didn't reply to some posts about Budokan in 2017 and then that ultimately didn't get a release. That said, if there were to be a video of some kind, I'm certainly happy to watch it. (sorry in case that offended you bosk. Not intended in any way)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »
(sorry in case that offended you bosk. Not intended in any way)

Nope, not at all.  I may know something.  I may not.  I haven't commented simply because I don't really have anything to say on the matter.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 09:09:54 AM »
Building their own studio is a good investment...depending on the location and their needs. I'd be curious to know if "Dream Theater," the corporate entity owns it, or if the five of them created a new corporation with equal shares for ownership purposes and that way they all could use it collectively, or individually. It will need to generate some revenue to be self-sustaining, so my guess is (without having viewed the video) they'll be renting it out when they aren't using it. But I think its a smart long term investment for all of them, particularly given how they like to write and record in the studio.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 09:17:51 AM »
Lots of bands have their own studio and from the couple I know of, it hasn't lead to them releasing more music so I wouldn't get hyped on that.  It's probably something that just makes sense for money and convenience.  I'd certainly be happy if they did make use of it and released more music either via DT or their own bands, but I'm not going to get worked up thinking this will happen.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 09:44:03 AM »
They should call the studio "Dream Theatre"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 10:50:15 AM »
Lots of bands have their own studio and from the couple I know of, it hasn't lead to them releasing more music so I wouldn't get hyped on that.  It's probably something that just makes sense for money and convenience.

Andi Deris lives in Tenerife and owns the Mi Suenos studios, where Helloween record albums.

So on his off time he's on Tenerife, when he's recording an album he's at home anyway, and when he leaves the island, it's in order to tour the world and play concerts in front of wild fans.

The man has life figured out  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Rob24

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »
Lots of bands have their own studio and from the couple I know of, it hasn't lead to them releasing more music so I wouldn't get hyped on that.  It's probably something that just makes sense for money and convenience.  I'd certainly be happy if they did make use of it and released more music either via DT or their own bands, but I'm not going to get worked up thinking this will happen.

Why should DT even release more music than they do currently? Their rate is mind-boggling.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
They should call the studio "Dream Theatre"

Damnit. I was going to say this.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"