Author Topic: Your favorite verse variation  (Read 1776 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Your favorite verse variation
« on: April 26, 2019, 12:25:10 AM »
Dream Theater has a lot of songs with the verse-chorus-verse structure, but they almost always change up the verse section in the second round, which makes their music sound dynamic and exciting. What are your favorite verse variations in Dream Theater songs? Here are three of my favorites:

Untethered Angel - What really makes the verse variation in this song stand out is that the first verse is really generic sounding. Then they changed it up with an amazing variation, which led into that beautiful pre-chorus (Fear can't live inside you...).

Surrender to Reason - the verse variation here is so unpredictable, when I first heard it I really didn't know where it was taking me.

In The Presence of Enemies Part 2 - this one is more straightforward, but when James sang "Angels fall all for you..." the second time around with the high register, I got goosebumps.

Offline DTA

Re: Your favorite verse variation
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 04:04:54 AM »
Along For The Ride comes to mind at the moment. Lots of cool stuff going on in the verses.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 07:13:46 AM »
Beneath The Surface, when James comes back in at the end with the same lines but goes higher. CHILLS. Every time. "Until one day I stopped caring... and begaaaan to forget why I longed to be so close" Amazing song.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:21:32 AM »
Beneath The Surface, when James comes back in at the end with the same lines but goes higher. CHILLS. Every time. "Until one day I stopped caring... and begaaaan to forget why I longed to be so close" Amazing song.

I'll always remember the first time I heard the song. I was bracing myself for a final chorus sung higher, and James started softly again and I was like "Ok, it's still a nice song... but I wish he'd have gone higher for the final chorus". And then he immediately does!!! WHOOOO GO JAMES GO!!! YES, YES, YES!!

I agree, amazing song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 10:54:30 AM »
There's one that I like on the new album.

In At Wit's End, in the ending part with the melodic soloing by JP, James sings "Don't leave me now" twice.  The second time he sings it, the bass line is different, and it gives me chills every time I hear it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 03:53:51 PM »

I'll always remember the first time I heard the song. I was bracing myself for a final chorus sung higher, and James started softly again and I was like "Ok, it's still a nice song... but I wish he'd have gone higher for the final chorus". And then he immediately does!!! WHOOOO GO JAMES GO!!! YES, YES, YES!!

I agree, amazing song.

Yes, great example. I remember the first time I heard it I was a little caught off guard. James has such a unique voice that I wasn't expecting it to sound so distinct. I immediately had to hear it again to figure out if I actually liked it and the second time through is when I got the chills. Moments like those are when you really appreciate that they have a singer with such a remarkable style.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 10:23:06 PM »
I love the second verse in The Bigger Picture. The first verse is about the viewpoint character fawning over this person they clearly like, you get the chrous where you hear the viewpiont character's desire, then in the second verse you get why. The move from admiration to emotional turmoil is so good.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 07:14:44 PM »
One example I remember is from S2N. The second repetition of the chorus has the development "Our wounds begin to heal", and the third adds "The chatter disappears and the message is revealed", bringing the matter to a positive conclusion.

(Not sure if this counts.)

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »
I love how in Honor Thy Father, the lyrics and delivery get more aggressive as the goes on in one part:

How can you ever sleep a wink at night,
Pretending that everything is alright,
And have the nerve to blame this mess on me?
Never in my life have I seen someone
So Ignorant to the damage he has done.
You're the rotted root in the family tree.

And have the balls to blame this mess on me?
Oblivious to the damage he has done,

And have the balls to blame this shit on me?
So fucking blind to the damage he has done,
You're the rotted root in the family tree

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 08:42:25 AM »
Strange Deja Vu

Studio: In her eyes, I sense a story never told (drops off a bit at the end)
Live: In her eyes, I sense a story never tooooOOOOLLLLLD!!!! (James slides higher and higher into a sudden burst of a high note that he cuts off immediately

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
Never Enough. The hi-hat groove in the second verse is among my favorite drum parts of all time.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 12:42:03 PM »
I love how in Honor Thy Father, the lyrics and delivery get more aggressive as the goes on in one part:

Yes, this is exactly what I think about when listening to this song.  With each verse my  :metal gets more pronounced each time.  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 01:00:24 PM »
In The Presence of Enemies Part 2 - this one is more straightforward, but when James sang "Angels fall all for you..." the second time around with the high register, I got goosebumps.

This was my first thought when I saw the thread title. One of my favorite JLB vocal moments in DT.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 01:01:46 PM »
Excellent call with Honor Thy Father, and I love when James sings that line higher in ITPOE pt. 2 as well.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 09:06:30 PM »
I like the slight instrumental difference in the two "Call it bad luck, call it fate" parts in Barstool Warrior.

It's not DT, but my favorite Rush song (under ten minutes) doesn't even have a chorus.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 10:23:53 PM »

This reminds me of Frank Black's vocals during the verses in the Pixies' "Blue Eyed Hexe".  :metal