Poll

Which are your favorites of these 5-album runs? (VOTE FOR 3)

Metallica: Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All and Metallica
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy
Yes: The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer
Porcupine Tree: Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Black Planet
Opeth: Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation and Ghost Reveries
Iron Maiden: The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall and The Final Cut
Rush: 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures
Queensryche: The Warning, Rage for Order, Operation: Mindcrime, Empire and Promised Land
Neal Morse: Testimony, One, ?, Sola Scriptura and Lifeline
Haken: Aquarius, Visions, The Mountain, Affinity and Vector
Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Volume 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ayreon: Into the Electric Castle, The Dream Sequencer, Flight of the Migrator, The Human Equation and 01011001
Genesis: Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and A Trick of the Tail
The Beatles: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour and The Beatles

Voting closes: February 04, 2025, 04:49:45 PM

Author Topic: Favorites of these 5-album runs  (Read 4345 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: Favorites of these 5-album runs
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2019, 08:25:13 AM »
Rush, I only voted for one because I didn't realize.

QR would most likely be second

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2019, 08:26:06 AM »
I'm actually a little surprised that Maiden is ahead here...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »

I'm not.  They're only leading by 7 votes (which should be 6, because I accidentally clicked on them rather than Neal Morse), and this forum is pretty crazy for Maiden.

Somewhat controversial:  I might have voted Maiden if the run was Brave New World through The Book of Souls.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2019, 08:30:32 AM »

I'm not.  They're only leading by 7 votes (which should be 6, because I accidentally clicked on them rather than Neal Morse), and this forum is pretty crazy for Maiden.

Somewhat controversial:  I might have voted Maiden if the run was Brave New World through The Book of Souls.

Madman!  :lol Not gonna lie though, BNW has some really high points. I was recently listening to Book of Souls and boy, what is going on with the production there? Same problem as ADTOE, like a thick comforter is being laid over the speakers, those guitars are MUDDY!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 08:40:04 AM »
Genesis streak should begin with Trespass and end with The Lamb, per:

Trespass > Trick

Although I enjoy Trick, just not as much as Trespass.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 08:58:23 AM »
Not a chance I would vote for any of the other bands and not even sure why they are mentioned.

:lol :lol :lol

Tastes dude.  I don't care much for many of these, but certainly acknowledge that they are indeed beloved bands and runs of albums (here at DTF and at large as well).  I'm not sure why you feel the need to dis the options you wouldn't vote for by suggesting they don't even belong.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2019, 09:02:34 AM »

Calling Seventh Son a bad album is definitively way, way more controversial  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2019, 09:10:34 AM »
I'm not sure why you feel the need to dis the options you wouldn't vote for by suggesting they don't even belong.

Well, just as you could rightly say "Tastes, dude!  Duh!" as it is implied that there are a lot of options to cater to many different tastes, it is also implied in my post that I'm exaggerating for fun and could just as rightly say "Hyperbole, dude!  Duh!"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »
I say Duh all the time.  nothing to do with this post.  Duh.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »
Maybe I would have done the same. And I've already voted for Maiden.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2019, 11:12:12 AM »

They aren't bad albums, but SSoaSS and SiT are rather low in my IM rankings. I certainly don't love them as many (most?) IM fans seem to.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »
Pretty easy one for me. Queensryche, Rush And Maiden though I’d have started the Maiden run with Killers.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2019, 03:21:18 PM »
  I don't care much for many of these, but certainly acknowledge that they are indeed beloved bands and runs of albums (here at DTF and at large as well).   

Right.  I tried to feature runs by bands that are mostly really liked here. 

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2019, 04:03:50 PM »
The Floyd and Maiden runs are incredible. I ultimately went with Zeppelin for my third pick, but Genesis and Sabbath were close.

Some thoughts on the other runs:
-The Yes and Rush ones have some great albums and some lesser ones
-Ayreon's is very strong, some weaker material on the Universal Migrator albums
-Porcupine Tree's is strong, Metallica's is solid, Neal's is spotty
-Haven't heard all the Opeth and Queensryche albums - that will change at some point
-I've never heard a single album by Haken - that will probably never change

Magical Mystery Tour is an EP.   :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2019, 04:06:43 PM »
Ayreon, PT and Haken.

Can't believe I didn't vote for Maiden, but those three runs are definitely more enjoyable for me. Floyd is another strong option, and Opeth too. This is a good poll.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2019, 04:24:47 PM »
Yes - those 5 include their 3 masterpieces Edge, Tales, Relayer - the latter being one of the greatest albums of all time for me. But those 3 albums are all 10/10 albums for me. Incredible music.

Genesis - the Gabriel albums and Trick of The Tail are absolute prog masterpieces imo. Selling England is on one level with Relayer in my list. And Supper's Ready is probably my favourite song in this universe.

Haken - I love Zeppelin and Pink Floyd too. But I am probably one of the few who like the later Zeppelin albums best. And you monsters made me choose between Pink Floyd and Haken - a choice that just can't be made :D I went with Haken because I thought Floyd would get more votes anyway. Haken have delivered a flawless 5 1/2 album run until now. I am glad you included The Final Cut though. It's a very special album for me.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline pg1067

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2019, 08:43:38 AM »
That was tough.  I went with Rush, Yes and Metallica.

Rush:  2112 through Moving Pictures (and you could extend it to six albums with Signals) is an almost impossible run of excellence.

Yes:  Similar to Rush in that you could extend it to six albums by adding GFTO.  However, there are a handful of subpar tracks.

The hardest part was choosing between Metallica and Maiden.  If I did this again, I might go with Maiden.  Both end with subpar albums.  If it had been Killers through Somewhere in Time, I'd definitely give the nod to Maiden.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2019, 08:47:35 AM »

I wouldn't call it a bad album, but it's not up to the standards of the other Maiden material.  Moonchild and the title track are the only really strong songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2019, 09:02:32 AM »
I picked only one option in the poll: Black Sabbath, because it's definitely my favorite run of albums.

In terms of consistency of great albums in the run, Led Zeppelin, Rush and Iron Maiden are very close. I love Opeth run of albums excluding Ghost Reveries (really meh to me). QR run of albums is strong, but I'm not a big Empire and PR fan.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2019, 10:31:06 AM »

I think there are better runs by the listed bands. 

Sabbath: Vol. 4 - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Sabotage - Technical Ecstasy - Never Say Die

Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die over first 3 Sabbath albums? Really?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2019, 01:00:12 PM »
No Rush for me...

Queensryche Floyd and Yes

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2019, 01:42:04 PM »
I accidentally only voted for one, like a couple other people...

I voted for Ayreon.  While I actually like Neal Morse a bit more, I usually listen to Morse's later albums instead of these.  Could just be from over listening to them back in the day.  This string of Ayreon albums, however, is sublime and are all in regular rotation to this day (and to be fair, I don't think I've over listened to any of them as I have with Neal Morse).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2019, 03:52:10 PM »
I've always equated Led Zeppelin's consistent run from
I through In through the Out Door
with
Renaissance's run from Prologue through A Song for All Seasons

in that while I can select a favorite record, I find the albums are so close, I waiver on which ones I feel are better than others, that I struggle to rank them.

I would say the same about Rush with most of their 80's albums (and even enjoy a high percentage of the songs on every album starting with their debut through Presto).

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2019, 05:44:41 AM »
I went with The Beatles. Of course, my choice would have been different with:

Deep Purple from In Rock to Burn, Maiden's first five, and Zeps from III to Presence.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »

I think there are better runs by the listed bands. 

Sabbath: Vol. 4 - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Sabotage - Technical Ecstasy - Never Say Die

Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die over first 3 Sabbath albums? Really?

I've already gone on record as saying that Masters Of Reality is my least favorite of the original Ozzy records, and I LOVE Technical Ecstasy.  So yeah.  It's purely a function of the order of the records.   I love the first two immensely, but I think MoR is a big let-down. 

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2019, 11:38:20 AM »
man this was tough

Beatles
Rush
Opeth

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2019, 09:41:36 PM »
1. Zep
2. Floyd
3. Haken

Offline Ruba

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2019, 05:09:10 PM »
I voted for Iron Maiden and Queensr˙che. Although the best 5 album run Iron Maiden has is from S/T to Powerslave. And Metallica's best run is from Master of Puppets to ReLoad.

Outside the options my favourite 5 album runs are:

Deftones: Around the Fur - White Pony - Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist - Diamond Eyes
Nine Inch Nails: Pretty Hate Machine - The Downward Spiral - The Fragile - With Teeth - Year Zero (if you count Broken as LP, then Trent wins hands down)
Ministry: The Land of Rape and Honey - The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste - Psalm 69 - Filth Pig - Dark Side of the Spoon

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2019, 05:14:18 PM »
My all time favorite 5 album run belongs to UFO.
The classic Schenker Era albums..
Phenomenon
Force It
No Heavy Petting
Lights Out
Obsession
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2019, 05:17:35 PM »
Now when I'm thinking about it, that Rush run is pretty good, although I might take Hemispheres - Grace Under Pressure before it.

Also Megadeth is missing. Rust in Peace - Countdown to Extinction - Youthanasia - Cryptic Writings - Risk. I believe at least Bosk would agree with me. :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »
And Metallica's best run is from Master of Puppets to ReLoad.

"Best" should never appear in the same sentence as Load or Reload (unless maybe it's "best use of bodily fluids on an album cover").

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2019, 11:28:53 AM »
Also Megadeth is missing. Rust in Peace - Countdown to Extinction - Youthanasia - Cryptic Writings - Risk. I believe at least Bosk would agree with me. :biggrin:

I...actually would, yes.  :)  That still wouldn't make my top 5.  But it's a pretty good run.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »
No Rush for me...

Queensryche Floyd and Yes

With your username and picture being what they are, would you briefly explain why no Rush for you?

And bosk, Rush doesn't belong on this list?????
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2019, 07:39:29 PM »

With your username and picture being what they are, would you briefly explain why no Rush for you?

I'm as big a Rush fan as anyone here, but they weren't a no-brainer pick for me here simply because two of the albums I rarely listen to anymore (A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres).  I still like those two albums a ton, but Xanadu, The Trees and La Villa Strangiato are the only three songs from those records I listen to with any regularity anymore.  Neither album is in my Rush top 5.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »

I'm as big a Rush fan as anyone here, but they weren't a no-brainer pick for me here simply because two of the albums I rarely listen to anymore (A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres).  I still like those two albums a ton, but Xanadu, The Trees and La Villa Strangiato are the only three songs from those records I listen to with any regularity anymore.  Neither album is in my Rush top 5.

Not challenging you, just curious (since Hemispheres is in my top ten all time for any band, and both albums are easily in my Rush Top 5, along with Moving Pictures, Signals, and... probably Presto, though I reserve the right to change that), but what is your Rush Top Five?