Author Topic: Jordan's latest album  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Peter1960

Jordan's latest album
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »
Has anyone heard JR’s new album Wired for Madness ?

I decided to listen to it, twice, via ITunes Music. I’m sorry, I just can’t get into it, despite owning several of his other albums.

None of the instrumental parts are particularly memorable, in my opinion, with lack of structure and style being apparent on many of them. There is also the usual excessive widdling that we have come to know from listening to his solos in the past.

We all know Jordan has amazing technique and I am all for musicians aiming to fully express themselves; however, some of the stuff on this album is way over the top.  Some of this has crept into DT’s music in recent years, although, thankfully, not on the latest album – perhaps JP has reined him in a bit ?

The most disappointing aspect however, are the vocal tracks, most of which are sung by Jordan. He has an OK sort of voice, albeit low in tone with no particular range, but I just don’t feel these tracks are any good. I think back to The Astonishing, which was co-written with JP, and contains some of the best melodies the band has ever done. Why are there no “Astonishing” type vocal tracks on this new album ?

This suggests to me that JP is the musical power and creative force behind DT. Maybe JR comes out with better material when he works alongside JP and is able to bounce ideas off him. Or maybe JP exercises some artistic control over Jordan’s output when it comes to working on DT material.

Being a great musician is not just about technique – it is also about compositional skills and the ability to make a lasting impression with their material. That is why, in my book, no one will ever touch Keith Emerson, when you consider the body of work he left behind.

How do other fans feel about Wired for Madness ?

Offline nattmorker

Re: Jordan's latest album
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
I love it! It might be my favorite JR solo album. I especially love the first two tracks, pure madness! I like Jordan's voice, I wish he would sing back up vocals in DT.

I think there's a thread for this album in the general music forum.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
I have it and there's a lot interesting and unique material, but haven't completed a full spin yet.  I'll need a few more spins to see what's what.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:23:52 AM »
I have it. It's fantastic but I suppose it's not for everyone.

I think there's a thread for this album in the general music forum.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53409.0
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 12:21:59 PM »
I just listened to it on Spotify and thought it was fantastic.  I have to buy this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 02:02:12 PM »
I tried a quick spin through the tracks and didn't like it at all.  I have no desire to give it another listen unfortunately.