Author Topic: Black Clouds and Slver Linings: Dream Theater's forgotten album?  (Read 3632 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

Re: Black Clouds and Slver Linings: Dream Theater's forgotten album?
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »
(When TOT came out, the general opinion seemed to be HTF was one of the stronger tracks - after the Budokan album came out, the general opinion seemed to be it was the weakest, as it wasn't played on that show.

HTF is one of my favorites from that album!!!  I love how James keeps getting more and more aggressive with each curse to the point where he's saying, "so fucking blind" the final time around.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
BC&SL...quite honestly, I think its been forgotten (at least for me) because it simply isn't that good.
This, for sure.

For me, Wither is the best song on the album, which says less about Wither than it does about the other songs.  Just subpar all the way around.  They definitely needed a shot in the arm after this one.

Having said that, I am glad that the band broke out The Shattered Fortress live a few years ago, and although I wasn't looking forward to a certain song on the current tour, they killed it, so I have no complaints.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2019, 11:45:33 AM »
I've always liked this album, but it didn't age well for me. The songs are bloated and unnecessary long, even so, I really enjoy ANTR, TSF and TCOT. For some reason, TBOT really resonates with me, I know that the lyrics are super specific but the song really moves me, makes me think of the day my father is no longer with me, so I cannot listen to that song very often.

After reading this thread I listened to AROP, I haven't heard the song in years! I enjoyed it, although it feels long in the middle.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2019, 08:23:27 PM »
I've posted my thoughts on BC&SL many times on the forum, so I'll just say it's on my bottom 3 DT albums. Not a "bad" album by any means, but it falls short compared to the brilliant rest of the catalog.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2019, 08:25:20 PM »
As an album, I think BC&SL is one of DT's better albums.

I feel like I don't even know you anymore.

After only 7 posts? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2019, 09:04:33 PM »
Gave this a solid listen.

ANTR: There's a good 8-10 minute long song in here somewhere. MP's vocals are awful. Enjoyed seeing it live though in 2010/2011?

ARoP: The chorus is really good, the rest is not.

W: Good song, upper half of their ballady material.

SF: Great song, even if it rehashes old 12SS material. I don't like MP's vocals in the intro or the Promises part. Basically any time DT does any spoken word type vocals it isn't good.

TBoT: Better than I remembered. And I even enjoyed the lyrics. Didn't bother me at all they are very personal and specific to Mike. Had a good Sunday dinner with my parents 2 days ago and thought about my dad during the song. If the chorus was stronger it would be even better.

TCoT: Didn't enjoy as much as I did when it came out. Again there's a good ~10 minute song in here somewhere. Lyrics stood out as being poor more than I recall.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Grizz

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2019, 12:28:55 AM »
Right. They did the PN09 tour, and I think originally, they intended to do a DT tour but it never came to fruition.

I think they were not planning on touring anymore, but I thought MP said they simply could not pass up the Maiden tour.

We were lucky here because I saw them in Boston on the PN09 tour, and then again in Worcester for a DT headline show in 2010 on an off night on the Maiden tour.
That Worcester show was probably one of the best nights of my life... course, I was more excitable at age 12.

BCSL was the first album that came out after I got into DT and reintroduced my Dad to them. SC never piqued my interest in particular, but when BC came out I had been listening and following for a few months so we went down to our local FYE (now it's a Moe's, I think; additions got me all confused) and I got the 3-disc edition. I wore that CD down to the groove. I saw them live for the first time at PN09 in Wallingford, and got upgraded to near-board "VIP Box" seats because we missed half the show (admittedly, half which we cared nothing about) after a drugged-up 20-something on a skateboard rammed into the side of our family friend's minivan in the parking lot. I had a damn fine time at the 2010 side-show; the set was longer and had great energy, being in a "metal phase," and the crowd was lively with all the new fans hot off of Guitar Hero and Rock Band exposure. Even the fact that the Palladium is a glorified oven could not spoil the experience.

ANTR will always be my favorite way to open a concert. Hearing them close with ToT on bootlegs makes me nostalgic as fuck. I'll remember this album if nobody else will, even though it has its flaws.

I agree that TA will probably be the forgotten, odd-man out as time goes on. At least, I try to forget it.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 12:34:10 AM »
I still remember them playing ANTR and Count on the PN09 tour, it was awesome. It’s a decent enough DT record. Wither is a good ballad and A Rite of Passage might just be my least favorite DT song. I have no interest in it at all.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline H2

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 02:57:49 PM »

Do you mean that literally or sarcastically? Did I once say that BC&SL was a bad album? You dig it, right?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »

Do you mean that literally or sarcastically? Did I once say that BC&SL was a bad album? You dig it, right?

It's...okay.  I like it.  But I also rank it at or near the bottom of their discography (not including WDADU).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline H2

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2019, 05:00:17 PM »

It's...okay.  I like it.  But I also rank it at or near the bottom of their discography (not including WDADU).
Worse than Awake?  :omg: That's pretty bad!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."