Poll

What do you think of the song "A Right of Passage?"

Love it - top tier DT song
4 (3.4%)
Like it - good DT song, one of the better in the catalog
34 (29.3%)
Filler
41 (35.3%)
Don't like it - bottom tier in the catalog.
37 (31.9%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: "A Rite of Passage" - Yay or Nay?  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Dedalus

Re: "A Rite of Passage" - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 11:50:42 PM »
I voted  "I do not like it - bottom tier in the catalog" because I didn't find the option "I hate this crap"  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 07:28:13 AM »
I voted "love it". I don't understand why everyone seems to view it so unfavourably.

Read the thread and you might learn why! :neverusethis:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:07 AM »
I like it, but I never really paid attention to it when the album came out.  I listened to the disc last year and was baffled that there was a big heavy section in the middle of the song and I never realized it before.   :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
I voted "love it". I don't understand why everyone seems to view it so unfavourably.
I think multiple people have explained why they view it unfavorably.

But it's still just fine that you love it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 08:57:29 PM »
I like it but I don't think it's one of the better songs. Nor do I think it's filler. So Herrick cannot vote.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 06:16:57 AM »
I like it, but I don't think it's one of their better songs either (still voted for the option though). I've never been a fan of the end of that keyboard solo  :-X

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2019, 08:18:39 AM »

Well, not exactly everyone.  22 people so far voted they like it.  Just a few more voted filler, which could possibly mean they still might like it...a little.   :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2019, 08:26:12 AM »
There really needed to be more of a middle of the road option along the lines of, "Nowhere near their best, but I like it."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2019, 10:18:45 AM »
Agreed.  The poll may have a gap or two.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2019, 10:22:34 AM »
The gap actually pisses me off because I want to vote and can't.  I AM DISENFRANCHISED!  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2019, 12:03:58 AM »
I voted filler but I like the chorus of that song quite a bit. It's not a bad song by any means.

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »
IMO it's a waste of a great riff that resembles "Misunderstood". Aside from that, it's a song that I've barely payed attention to and I hate the chorus. Most of the song is mediocre  :tdwn

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2019, 06:13:47 AM »
I'd put it somewhere between the middle two options, but closer to "filler", so that's the option I voted for. I don't hate it (hatred's too strong a term to use when it comes to any music; hatred implies that that thing's very existence is a genuine threat to human life), but it's far from top-tier DT.

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2019, 07:30:00 PM »
the song itself is nothing special, but JP's guitar solo is  a win!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »
I voted bottom tier, but I'm not sure any of the options really reflect my opinion.  It's not a song I intentionally listen to, but I wouldn't say I dislike it.  It's simply "meh."  I'm not sure it's "bottom tier," but it's certainly in the bottom half of DT's catalog.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2019, 02:33:45 AM »
Bottom tier as well. Don't help that it is on one of my least favorite albums.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
I voted bottom tier, but I'm not sure any of the options really reflect my opinion.  It's not a song I intentionally listen to, but I wouldn't say I dislike it.  It's simply "meh."  I'm not sure it's "bottom tier," but it's certainly in the bottom half of DT's catalog.

That probably would fall in the "filler" category, I think.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
Eh, it's okay. I won't skip it if it comes on, but I almost never go out of my way to listen to it. It wouldn't end up in my Top 25 any time soon, but it's not a bottom tier Dream Theater song for me.

Definitely the weakest song on BC&SL, though, and that's saying something.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2019, 09:59:22 PM »
I listening to it the other day after several years, and it isn't terrible, but I think they could've workshopped it some more. The transition back to the last chorus is NOT WELL. Plus, the bebot solo is terrible and out of place.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2019, 09:04:37 PM »
I used to kinda like this song but can't say I like it much at all anymore. It has VERY low energy, quite possibly the only song that feels like the band was just playing music for the sake of it. I also hate the Rudess tomfoolery towards the end. It sounds so obnoxious.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2019, 07:04:03 PM »
I wish there was a choice between "Like it" and "Filler", so as I said in the other thread...

Kind of a mixed bag for me.  I like the words/melody/theme a lot but prefer the shorter version used in the music video.  The JR solo is basically a bunch of noise (2nd part) but I suppose it works for the song's purposes/theme.    JP's solo is killer, but his guitar tone really sucks here.

I chose "Like it" however because it's better than filler, to me at least.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »
Hands down my least favorite DT song. Even the production seems to sound worse than the rest of BCSL.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Trav86

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
I like it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2019, 12:16:03 PM »
It's a skipper for me. Actually, when I went to see them opening for Maiden, I was disappointed that they played it. The whole short set was the "stripped down" version for the Maiden fans. I felt like telling the people there for IM that this does not really represent Dream Theater the way I know them. "They're actually a really good band, honest!"  :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 03:58:11 PM »
It's a skipper for me. Actually, when I went to see them opening for Maiden, I was disappointed that they played it. The whole short set was the "stripped down" version for the Maiden fans. I felt like telling the people there for IM that this does not really represent Dream Theater the way I know them. "They're actually a really good band, honest!"  :rollin

Yeah, I agree with you as far as I felt about that setlist. But it was perfectly constructed. The NY boot is great, because you can hear non DT fans progressively getting more into it with each song. I love the way MP arranged the songs so that each song was a little bit faster than the previous one. It was a setlist that truly built as it went along.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2019, 09:05:48 PM »
I really like it. I didn't go back and listen. I just remembered the song and how it strikes me. It's one I sing to and remember. Probably the best on that album, which isn't saying much.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »
BEBOT!
/thread
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.