18 (24.7%)
Empire
19 (26%)
Promised Land
23 (31.5%)
other (name it below)
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Your favorite Queensr˙che album besides Operation Mindcrime?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline WildRanger

Which one?

Offline romdrums

Re: Your favorite Queensr˙che album besides Operation Mindcrime?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:08:34 AM »
I voted for Promised Land, but honestly, the whole run from Rage through Promised Land is pretty darn near flawless in my opinion.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 08:09:21 AM »
Promised land. Although the run from Rage for Order to Promised Land is one of the best in rock history.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:10:18 AM »
I voted for Promised Land, but honestly, the whole run from Rage through Promised Land is pretty darn near flawless in my opinion.

Holy crap, that is funny! We must have been typing that at the same time!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 08:10:26 AM »
Mindcrime is NOT my favorite album, so the "besides" part of the poll is irrelevant. 

This is a tough call for me.  For years, I ranked Promised Land as my #1.  I love the loose concept of it, the dark, angsty vibe, and the huge atmosphere.  I used to get lost in that album like no other.  And some of the songs are just stellar. 

Empire was what REALLY hooked me on the band.  Yes, it is more commercial and polished.  But it is SO well done.  It is just about the perfect album.  Almost every song, even the ones I have grown tired of almost 30 years later, is incredibly strong. 

I went with Empire.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:13:41 AM »
Empire, and it's not even remotely close.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 08:15:49 AM »

Their most POLISHED album.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »
Its a toss up between Promised land and The Warning for me. It all comes down to mood on any given day.

If I am feeling a triumphant, take on the world kind of mood then its The Warning

If I am feeling a more subdued and reflective kind of mood then its Promised land.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:39:28 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline emtee

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 08:29:46 AM »
For me the great run is from the EP thru HiTNF but if I'm picking
1 favorite, it has to be Empire. Flawless album with stellar
production.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »
Mindcrime is NOT my favorite album, so the "besides" part of the poll is irrelevant. 

This is a tough call for me.  For years, I ranked Promised Land as my #1.  I love the loose concept of it, the dark, angsty vibe, and the huge atmosphere.  I used to get lost in that album like no other.  And some of the songs are just stellar. 

Empire was what REALLY hooked me on the band.  Yes, it is more commercial and polished.  But it is SO well done.  It is just about the perfect album.  Almost every song, even the ones I have grown tired of almost 30 years later, is incredibly strong. 

I went with Empire.

I agree.  Promised Land hooked me because it shared a similar vibe to DT's Awake and Marillion's Brave, which also came out that same year.  When I want to simply listen to QR, Empire more often than not is the record I go for.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »
its close between Empire and PL but I'll give the nod to PL.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 09:08:47 AM »
Today its The Warning. But it flip-flops depending on my mood with Promised Land.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 09:15:45 AM »
Rage For Order is my favorite Queensryche album. It has balls, energy, and memorable hooks, but it also tries some very weird unconventional things and to my ears it all works wonderfully. I freaking love that album. For my money, it's way better than Empire and Promised Land, and still a decent clip ahead of Mindcrime.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 09:24:42 AM »
A tie between Promised Land and Rage for Order, but as others have basically said, Warning through Promised Land is easily one of the strongest 5 album runs in my entire collection, if not the strongest.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »
The Warning through Promised Land is easily one of the strongest 5 album runs in my entire collection, if not the strongest.

Amen. Amazing how a band can have that superior of a run that is accepted as THAT GOOD by SO MANY people.

With all the bullshit and amateur-style cheapness post-HITNF that went on, people just forgot how BIG Queensryche was, and how well respected. Even HITNF would have been huge had they had any label backing. They had two singles backed by EMI before it folded -- Sign of the Times and You. And both were getting big, and then EMI pulled every bit of support, leaving QR to fend of themselves. A short summer tour, and that was it. A real shame things fell apart.Even if HITNF was an artistic left-hand turn, I think it would have been a lot more accepted had it been properly supported. Obviously not as good as Warning through PL, but still.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
The Warning through Promised Land is easily one of the strongest 5 album runs in my entire collection, if not the strongest.

Amen. Amazing how a band can have that superior of a run that is accepted as THAT GOOD by SO MANY people.

With all the bullshit and amateur-style cheapness post-HITNF that went on, people just forgot how BIG Queensryche was, and how well respected. Even HITNF would have been huge had they had any label backing. They had two singles backed by EMI before it folded -- Sign of the Times and You. And both were getting big, and then EMI pulled every bit of support, leaving QR to fend of themselves. A short summer tour, and that was it. A real shame things fell apart.Even if HITNF was an artistic left-hand turn, I think it would have been a lot more accepted had it been properly supported. Obviously not as good as Warning through PL, but still.

I actually prefer Tribe to HITNF. I know DeGarmo contributed to Tribe as well, I forget what songs off the top of my head but Open is one of my favorite QR songs.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »

I actually prefer Tribe to HITNF. I know DeGarmo contributed to Tribe as well, I forget what songs off the top of my head but Open is one of my favorite QR songs.

Bill,

http://anybodylistening.net/tribe.html
Title: Tribe
Release Date: July 2003 (Sanctuary Records)
Produced by: Queensryche
Engineering: Scott Olsen
Mixed by: Adam Kasper

*Tracklist:

Open -- (DeGarmo/Tate/Wilton)
Desert Dance -- (DeGarmo/Rockenfield/Tate/Wilton)
Falling Behind -- (DeGarmo/Tate)
The Art of Life -- (DeGarmo/Tate)
Doin' Fine -- (DeGarmo/Tate)
**Justified -- (DeGarmo)

Key Tracks: The Art of Life, Desert Dance

* -- Because the entirety of Tribe did not feature the complete original lineup of Queensryche, we've spotlighted only the tracks from the record that had all five original members of the band involved. Completists can look up the entire CD online (there are some good songs), but for those only interested in checking out tracks by the full original lineup, simply download the above cuts from your digital source of choice.

** -- "Justified" was written and partially recorded during the Tribe sessions before Chris re-departed the band. It wasn't finished being recorded until 2007, and it appears on the deluxe edition of a multi-lineup greatest hits packaged titled Sign of the Times – The Best of Queensryche. "Justified" was mixed by Terry Date.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 10:46:51 AM »
The Warning

But like people have mentioned, the string from the EP- Promised Land is pretty much flawless and I agree and respect with anyone picking any album from that stretch.

If the band had shut down after Promised Land and never released anything else, I wonder what their legacy would be today?  I think it would be near legendary.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 12:30:37 PM »
Rage for Order. Empire has many highs, but many songs that leave me indifferent as well.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »
Thank you Samsara. So DeGarmo was one of the writers of Open. Very cool.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
Like Bosk, O:M isn't my favorite QR album. That title belongs to RFO, which has been the case since I was introduced to that album shortly after really starting to get in QR. And it contains my favorite QR song of all time: Neue Regel - love that song!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
O:M isn't my favorite Ryche CD. That would be Promised Land, followed by Rage and then Mindcrime...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
Promised Land. It took me years to fully appreciate it, though.

Offline max_security

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 01:35:18 PM »
Close one between Rage For Order or Warning , went with Rage. OM would be after both of those if it were a choice.

Offline emtee

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »
Just want to add that Tate's performance on Someone Else
is probably my favorite recorded vocal of all time. Additionally,
though I came to dislike him as a human being, he was only
rivaled by Steve Perry. Yes I love many vocalists but I'd put Tate
in his prime at 1A and Perry at 1B.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »
I've been a fan since the EP came out, but I went with Rage.  The Warning being a close 2nd.  Then, O:MC came out and I was even more blown away.  Honestly though, I love everything up through PL.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 03:42:10 PM »
For the most part, I rate Warning and O:M fairly even, but if I could only listen to one of them for the rest of my life, I'd go with Warning.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »
Rage, which I also rank above O:M.

I was never a huge fan of Empire, so that prevents it from being a perfect five album run, but the other four are all excellent.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 03:54:22 PM »
I was never a huge fan of Empire, so that prevents it from being a perfect five album run, but the other four are all excellent.

The thing about Empire that made me apprehensive about it at the time was it felt like it was paving the way towards a direction that concerned me. And while was ultimately right, and hated Promised Land, if I enjoy Empire for what it is, I think it's excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliōujoāupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2019, 03:59:22 PM »
dedicated to chaos :metardica:

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2019, 04:31:00 PM »
I chose other (HITNF).  Obviously not a popular choice.  It's probably due to when I got into QR, what was going on in my life at the time, etc that makes this one the album I go back to the most.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2019, 05:01:23 PM »
Rage For Order, followed by Empire.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 07:01:59 PM »
The Warning

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns