Author Topic: Mike Mangini NEW INTERVIEW  (Read 5193 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline gzarruk

Re: Mike Mangini NEW INTERVIEW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:11:37 PM »
I read it yesterday. Very interesting read :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »
MM doesn't deserve anything other than a "win" but it's true the way the fans get mad if he's a carbon copy of MP and they get mad if he changes stuff.

MM came into a near-impossible situation and has completely kicked ass and been so gracious about it.  Kudos to MM for handling it so well.  Gotta love the guy.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 11:10:45 PM »
Given the situation he's in, I think MM's doing a fine job of straddling that line between respecting the parts that MP already established and changing them up a bit to make them more his own. No doubt it's a balancing act.

I can't help but think he's in a similar situation to what DS faced after replacing KM. JR had it much easier since his style is more like KM's old style, and he replaced DS, not KM.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 02:18:08 AM »
The full interview is here and that's a lot of info. Love his take on the low snare sound in DT12.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/mike-mangini-i-play-like-a-bruce-lee-punch

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 06:50:26 AM »
I maintain that he sounds miserable. Shoulders aching, being criticized, engineers screwing up his sound,etc.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:06:34 AM by Dream Team »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 06:57:58 AM »
I maintain that he sounds miserable. Shoulders aching, being criticized, etc.

I agree.

There is no doubt that he has handled his tenure with class, and he is obviously aware that there is a portion of the fan base that will never accept him (these same people never will accept any drummer in the band not named Mike Portnoy), but he still sounds aggravated as heck about how his drums are mixed, among other things.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 07:16:12 AM »
If you have time, listen to this podcast he did just a week ago, and tell me he’s miserable.
https://soundcloud.com/everymanpodcast/episode-9-mike-mangini-part-1drummer-dream-theater
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 10:23:36 AM »
I maintain that he sounds miserable. Shoulders aching, being criticized, engineers screwing up his sound,etc.

He’s not miserable, that’s just the way he talks. Look at his facebook posts, he’s clearly having a blast, just expresses himself in a very unique way in these interviews.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »
Mangini's only in a no-win situation with the diehard Portnoy fanboys. The rest of us (the vast majority of DT fans) either like him or love him.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 06:03:29 PM »

He’s not miserable, that’s just the way he talks. Look at his facebook posts, he’s clearly having a blast, just expresses himself in a very unique way in these interviews.

He is Bostonian  :lol

I think Mike is in a good place even though he doesn't show it. I think he is more comfortable know (as he states in that interview) that he is in a no-win situation and he accepts that. I think the only thing that really bothers (bothered) him is the DT12 snare sound. The only way I can see Mangini out of the band is if gets tired of the touring life. With d/t, I think he is fully re-energized and committed to the band because now he had input in the song writing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 06:27:53 PM »
The interview is apparently before the tour was underway. I think many who have watched shows on the tour have noticed how glad he is when playing.

I wonder if he would get in trouble talking about some of the "secrets" in the industry about the drums. He is correct, if you are behind the kit, the cymbals are really the loudest parts of the kit you will hear. The strong kicks we hear on the records are really a product of mixing, so these "metal drummers" that sound "powerful" with their strong and fast kicks are really as much a "creation" of production as their playing abilities.

His complaints about getting the sound of the kit, based on the interview, has been a perennial problem. I get his comments about Mulmuzzler 2 and All For You, how his snare sound sort of bleeds into the cymbals. Hopefully they will find a way to mic his drums right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 06:57:48 PM »
I think maybe that is where he is too nice and passive, in that regard. Maybe he needs to put his foot down and insist that his drums get mic'd and mixed like he wants them; he has been in the band long enough to where he should be able to make that call, no?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »
I’ve always thought so. His sound is being misrepresented and getting him unnecessary flak. Obviously the band doesn’t read these interviews because he’s complained about his drum sound not being to his liking for three albums. If I read that, I would let him have control over that, at least more than what he has. It obviously doesn’t sit well with him
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 10:06:19 PM »
I've met Mike three times. Twice during the ADTOE tour and once this last tour. Each time he was the most enthusiastic member of DT, happy to talk music, sports, etc, and basically acted like he was having the time of his life. I don't doubt that he has some complaints and frustrations but I've always pegged him as a guy that is very happy with where his life is at. I was kind of surprised at how frustrated he was with the academic life though. He seems very happy to be done with that, making a much better living, and getting to live the life he is now.

Online nikatapi

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 12:10:22 AM »
Mike is a genuinely great guy, and he has even sacrificed his own will for the greater balance of the band.
I always thought that JP was "to blame" for the drum sound of the previous records, especially DT12, and it seems that at least he has come to a point where he understands both Mike's and the fans desirable drum sound.

I believe that the production has contributed to the notion that Mike plays like a robot as some people say, and so much is lost from his playing both in dynamics and in actual hits , especially in ADTOE and DT12. I guess that is a big difference between the two Mikes, MP was so involved and knew how to get a powerful, good sound, while Mike was each time going along with the producer, which led to him not having a characteristic sound (most of the albums he's played in sound so different).

If only we could get the previous albums with a better drum sound, i'm sure so many people would revise their negative opinion about Mike's drumming.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 01:39:01 AM »
Here's a recent video he posted on why the Zildjians are up high:

https://youtu.be/gO7TVa50No4

He gave two reasons that were not mentioned in the Music Radar interview. One, he put it up there so that his cymbals would not be picked up by James LaBrie's microphone. Two, in a concert setting, he can see everybody with the cymbals up there.

This vid with the mixer is more interesting:

https://youtu.be/PzI_-8b6pLY

He needs it to learn songs while on tour. What songs were he learning to play when they have a fairly static setlist?

Offline t-bone2112

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 06:16:15 PM »
I find it quite interesting/humorous about his comments here regarding changing some of MP's parts to make the songs his own.

I distinctly remember Jordan's comments about some of the drummers in the audition wanting to put their signature on the DT songs they played during the auditions and saying how the band needed them to sound familiar and the same, because the fans expected it.

Especially after Thomas Lang's audition, Jordan made the comment.  James mentioned how he "loved" Thomas' interpretation, but we are led to believe that the main reason they didn't consider him was due to Thomas putting his signature on the songs.  And it was a shame because I think I liked Thomas and what I felt he would bring to the band the best of all the drummers.

And now MM is doing just that.  Interesting.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 09:35:04 PM »
Well... I think it's one thing to be doing it during an audition and something else to do it after you've been with the band for years.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 09:50:37 PM »
Well... I think it's one thing to be doing it during an audition and something else to do it after you've been with the band for years.

Yep.

Nobody seems to bitch about JP when he makes little changes here and there just like nobody calls JM "unfeeling" even though he's basically a robot but somehow MM has no feeling.

MM just can't seem to win.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 05:10:09 AM »

Yep.

Nobody seems to bitch about JP when he makes little changes here and there just like nobody calls JM "unfeeling" even though he's basically a robot but somehow MM has no feeling.

MM just can't seem to win.
apparently so (which is sad btw), but I don't want him to leave. Him joining made me get into DT again after years of being bored with them
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline t-bone2112

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 06:47:58 AM »
I've tried so hard to give MM's drumming a chance and time to grow on me.  I just don't care for his style though.  Too furious, fast, too metal-ish (I guess, hard to explain what I mean by that).  Man, I've tried to get into his style, but I just can't.

And it's a shame.  The guy is one the nicest guys around it seems.  He's certainly such a talented musician.

I feel quite the opposite of Max's comment. I'm finding myself, just now with this album, not excited about anything new from the band.  And it kills me because I've loved this band for so many years, and I feel like I've lost a really close friend

Offline Lethean

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »
To each their own, but I find that opinion on both sides to be a little odd.  I get people preferring one drummer over the other.... but it's still Dream Theater.  Unless you're only listening to the drumming - if you are then I suppose it makes sense.  But listening to the songs for themselves - it's DT with MP and it's DT with MM.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 11:30:47 AM »
Apart from all that, I've listened to both parts of the interview and I found both interesting. (like any interview with him actually)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2019, 12:38:23 PM »
To each their own, but I find that opinion on both sides to be a little odd.  I get people preferring one drummer over the other.... but it's still Dream Theater.  Unless you're only listening to the drumming - if you are then I suppose it makes sense.  But listening to the songs for themselves - it's DT with MP and it's DT with MM.

*Claps

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »

*Claps

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
I'm gonna have to go with the Bostonian suggestion, cause otherwise yes, he does sound miserable to me and has been for a long time.
He sounds oppressed and leashed, which I cannot believe he is since his band leader is basically a big teddy bear. I can't imagine JP knowing this and ignoring it.
Mangini did look happier when I saw him on the ADTOE tour than the D/T tour, both in playing at the show or just plain face-to-face brief conversations I had with him on both tours. I hope all of this are just character traits and I hope he never leaves DT, I still really like his vibe.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2019, 08:51:21 PM »
Mangini is as happy as a man can be. The tours are very draining on him physically.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 10:39:58 PM »
Sort of off-topic (but not really):

I'm watching this interview about videogames with Steve Wozniak (from Apple Inc.), and I was instantly reminded of Mike.

I have no idea if this has been pointed out before, but I just found it too funny: they talk with the same enthusiasm about whatever topic is brought up in the interviews. :) It's really nice watching videos with that sort of vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6gzcjyNkHs

Here's a snippet with Steve talking about Tetris while he plays on a GameBoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8pgsfLRZzA

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 03:11:46 AM »
Sort of off-topic (but not really):

I'm watching this interview about videogames with Steve Wozniak (from Apple Inc.), and I was instantly reminded of Mike.

I have no idea if this has been pointed out before, but I just found it too funny: they talk with the same enthusiasm about whatever topic is brought up in the interviews. :) It's really nice watching videos with that sort of vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6gzcjyNkHs

Here's a snippet with Steve talking about Tetris while he plays on a GameBoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8pgsfLRZzA
great observation, as ever.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2019, 07:30:26 AM »
great observation, as ever.
Aww, thanks dude! :) How is your drumming doing?

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2019, 08:12:35 AM »
great interview. One thing I've always like is his straightforwardness. He is a nice guy and an incredible drummer and doesn't apologize. Good for him.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 04:10:13 AM »
Huh, I posted this in a new thread because I just couldn't find it in the search.

To me this interview was a fascinating insight into how MM thinks. Not in the sense that he is happy or unhappy - he doesn't really go on that scale, or rather he could be on either point of that scale and still talk the way he does and we wouldn't know it. Mike goes from tortured to ecstatic, rather, and I think playing in a band both tortures and sparks his creative drive on very deep levels mentally.

Just look at how he talks about sound design. Putting a guitar over drums is already changing it. Recording the drums changes the sound, so you have to change it furthermore in post. To the way you heard it from a specific position, because it's different being behind the drums and in front of them listening! A kit brings a change, but you have to be able to be you on every kit. You have to be able to follow the music, but you can't have an 88-piece set. You have to adjust yourself to sound engineers and your band leader, except you want to be you, but you also want to serve the music. He is chasing an ideal sound of his instrument within a band, both live and in studio and in his head, that literally can't exist due to so many factors, and he is thrilled by the chase. This fascinates me.

He has gone through a similar journey with his relationship to fans. From being in a classroom where a small number of people judges him based on a few metrics, to the absolute chaos of hundreds of thousands of people judging you on very vague emotional grounds and sound aesthetics. I think he is starting to realize that he can only please himself (and that's if he can - go to the upper paragraph again). I feel like the only dangerous thing he is doing here is trying to explain himself, and let people know that the comments do hurt him, because people are trolls and will keep trolling him the more he protests. And trying to educate the crowd about what goes into a drum sound only goes so far, because the average reader will just say "I can't see why can't JP read that and give the drums more punch, then".
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:15:49 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 07:13:00 AM »
Huh, I posted this in a new thread because I just couldn't find it in the search.

To me this interview was a fascinating insight into how MM thinks. Not in the sense that he is happy or unhappy - he doesn't really go on that scale, or rather he could be on either point of that scale and still talk the way he does and we wouldn't know it. Mike goes from tortured to ecstatic, rather, and I think playing in a band both tortures and sparks his creative drive on very deep levels mentally.

Just look at how he talks about sound design. Putting a guitar over drums is already changing it. Recording the drums changes the sound, so you have to change it furthermore in post. To the way you heard it from a specific position, because it's different being behind the drums and in front of them listening! A kit brings a change, but you have to be able to be you on every kit. You have to be able to follow the music, but you can't have an 88-piece set. You have to adjust yourself to sound engineers and your band leader, except you want to be you, but you also want to serve the music. He is chasing an ideal sound of his instrument within a band, both live and in studio and in his head, that literally can't exist due to so many factors, and he is thrilled by the chase. This fascinates me.

He has gone through a similar journey with his relationship to fans. From being in a classroom where a small number of people judges him based on a few metrics, to the absolute chaos of hundreds of thousands of people judging you on very vague emotional grounds and sound aesthetics. I think he is starting to realize that he can only please himself (and that's if he can - go to the upper paragraph again). I feel like the only dangerous thing he is doing here is trying to explain himself, and let people know that the comments do hurt him, because people are trolls and will keep trolling him the more he protests. And trying to educate the crowd about what goes into a drum sound only goes so far, because the average reader will just say "I can't see why can't JP read that and give the drums more punch, then".

Great post. MM's way of thinking/expressing is unique and you totally get it.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2019, 09:33:13 AM »
I definitely feel for MM.  He really is in a no win situation from a fan perspective.  I just don't get how some people's lives are so bankrupt as to complain about whether MM plays all of MP's parts exactly or not.  You would think there are other more important things to worry about.  Yes, MP is great and MM is great also.  People need to understand that they are great in their own unique ways.  Take it or leave it.

MP had trouble removing himself from public criticism.  The best thing for MM is to just let it go and continue to do what he does best.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White