Author Topic: I'm seeing Foreigner soon. Help me get familiar with them.  (Read 1339 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Just found out they're playing 15 minutes away in 2 months, on a Sunday. I know half a dozen of their biggest hits already, maybe a couple more. Are their full albums worth hearing? I have 2 months to get familiar for a live show.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: I'm seeing Foreigner soon. Help me get familiar with them.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:50:35 AM »
If you know the hits, that means you'll know most of the setlist.  I can't tell you about their albums, I don't have any, but I really enjoyed their show last summer.  I only knew the hits and boy did they do them well, even if it's only one original member who may or may not even perform at any given show.  The singer sounded AWESOME and I have no attachment to the original band as I was never even a fan, but I would totally recommend checking them out.

Full song I recorded (very nice extended version with the singer in the crowd):
Foreigner - Juke Box Hero Live @ PNC Bank Arts Center NJ 2018

and my full video from the show:
Foreigner, Whitesnake, and Jason Bonham's LZE Live @ PNC Bank Arts Center NJ 2018 (This maybe was the hottest concert I ever attended)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
The singer is the main draw for me, for a band like Foreigner, so that's awesome. I do not want to see an aging rock band with a singer who can't hit the notes, so it's good to hear he's good. My friend who gave me the heads up on this show saw them last year and he said the singer (and the whole band, too) killed it.

Will watch those on my lunch, thanks cram!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:56:04 AM »
Just found out they're playing 15 minutes away in 2 months, on a Sunday. I know half a dozen of their biggest hits already, maybe a couple more. Are their full albums worth hearing? I have 2 months to get familiar for a live show.

They will almost assuredly play most if not all of the songs on this:  https://www.amazon.com/Records-remastered-FOREIGNER/dp/B000002J66/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=foreigner+records&qid=1555685604&s=gateway&sr=8-1

It's a really good collection of their most well-known songs, and is how I discovered them way back in '83 or so (yes, they actually did have sound recordings back then--we didn't just bang sticks against cave walls).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 08:57:43 AM »

They will almost assuredly play most if not all of the songs on this:  https://www.amazon.com/Records-remastered-FOREIGNER/dp/B000002J66/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=foreigner+records&qid=1555685604&s=gateway&sr=8-1

It's a really good collection of their most well-known songs, and is how I discovered them way back in '83 or so (yes, they actually did have sound recordings back then--we didn't just bang sticks against cave walls).

:lol

I know 7 of those songs! Guess I know more about them than I thought. They actually have a song called Dirty White Boy??  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »
It kind of sucks though, they are playing locally here (where DT just played in Red Bank) the same night as Whitesnake is playing locally.  And while I said I enjoyed Foreigner more, I didn't know about it and bought the Whitesnake ticket first.  There's definitely part of me saying "didn't you learn from last year which is the better live band?" but besides already having the ticket, the GA smaller venue for Whitesnake sounds like it could be more fun even if I think the performance of Foreigner is likely to be better.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
So you want to know what Foreigner is, and you want us to show you?

Sorry, that's low-hanging fruit. Damn me and my appetite.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »

Nicely done.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »

Feels like the first time you tried this.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 09:29:23 AM »

Feels like the first time you tried this.

C'mon, cut the head games. It's urgent.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 09:30:55 AM »
(This maybe was the hottest concert I ever attended)
Was the temperature around 103 degrees?   :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »
damn this thread is getting cold as ice

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 09:31:54 AM »

I can't take it anymore.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
I've been waiting, for a thread like this...
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »
I'm just here Stargazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »
I don't want to live without this thread.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
Now, to be serious for a minute.  They have many hits but if you want to check out an album from the 90's that I love it's titled "Mr. Moonlight."  Last album they did with Lou Gramm as the singer.  Fantastic album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 11:14:28 AM »
Now, to be serious for a minute.  They have many hits but if you want to check out an album from the 90's that I love it's titled "Mr. Moonlight."  Last album they did with Lou Gramm as the singer.  Fantastic album.

Agreed Joe - an under rated album

There was a Japanese bonus track (Crash & Burn) that is worth tracking down if you don't have it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »

Pick up the single CD The Very Best and Beyond, which should cover just about everything they will play. The most recent Foreigner 40 double CD best of has a lot more depth to it, obviously, but would also be comprehensive enough to cover your needs.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
I don't want to live without this thread.

I would ask everyone to stop, but The Damage Is Done.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »

Agreed Joe - an under rated album

There was a Japanese bonus track (Crash & Burn) that is worth tracking down if you don't have it.

OHHH!! I don't have that.  Not I need to get that song!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 03:00:11 PM »

Pick up the single CD The Very Best and Beyond, which should cover just about everything they will play. The most recent Foreigner 40 double CD best of has a lot more depth to it, obviously, but would also be comprehensive enough to cover your needs.

Thank you (and everyone else who's offered some recommendations  :tup), I'll be checking this out over the weekend.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »
Jeez, all the puns, you guys all seem a bit hot blooded at the moment.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 04:23:54 PM »
They're a bunch of dirty white boys.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »
They're a bunch of dirty white boys.

That was yesterday Tim. I've turned a new leaf.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 08:04:25 PM »

I have seen them 2 times in the last 5 years and both times it was a sing along of the hits, which is not a bad thing, but would have loved to hear Star Rider and Long, long way from home from the first album. 
They but on a hell of a show!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2019, 09:56:59 AM »

I have seen them 2 times in the last 5 years and both times it was a sing along of the hits, which is not a bad thing, but would have loved to hear Star Rider and Long, long way from home from the first album. 
They but on a hell of a show!

It's a solid show. A lot of fun. I have seen this line-up once and I would absolutely not balk at seeing them again. Yeah, a completely static and predictable setlist, which has barely changed in at least 10 years (based on the show I saw and all the live CDs they have released in the last 10 years). But still a good night of music with a set of everything you know if you listen to classic rock radio at all.