Poll

Who are your three favorite members of Dream Theater?

Charlie Dominici
James LaBrie
Mike Mangini
Kevin Moore
John Myung
John Petrucci
Mike Portnoy
Jordan Rudess
Derek Sherinian

Voting closes: January 29, 2025, 05:24:47 AM

Author Topic: Who are your three favorite members of Dream Theater?  (Read 4695 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Who are your three favorite members of Dream Theater?
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2019, 10:25:20 AM »
I wonder who voted for Derek :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ruba

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2019, 10:35:23 AM »

I voted for Chris Collins, Steve Stone and Chris Cintron. :dunno:

Online geeeemo

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2019, 11:25:01 AM »
I voted.  But now that I think about it, I really dislike this kind of post. ( I understand one has a right) It's like all the posts a week or so ago on FB.. "Who would you replace for so and so?" ugh- just feels like a negative vibe. A favorite means we are comparing and someone always has to be on the bottom. They are all great - all have added a wonderful texture and mix to our beloved Dream Theater. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »
I voted for Chris Collins, Steve Stone and Chris Cintron. :dunno:
Bah! John Hendricks was MUCH better than Steve Stone - can't believe you made such a foolish choice!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »
So happy to see the love for Labrie in this post!  :hefdaddy

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
JP: He is amazing as a whole, musician and person. I don't need to praise his guitar work or how he drives the band through music, but I do want to mention how happy I am every time I watch him during an interview. He is the kind of person that makes me smile.

MP: I think his relationship with the fans while he was in the band as well as his drive propelled this band to where they are now. Plus, it was super fun to watch him live.

KM: Even though my top 2 albums are JR albums, I miss the depth that KM added to the band. He was not as technically good as the rest of the guys, but he more than compensated with the way he approached music.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 08:44:23 PM »
I don't want to imagine MP seeing the results of this poll.  :lol

Offline DT1138

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2019, 08:55:33 PM »
JP/JR/J Myung

JP - Probably my favorite metal guitar player of all time.  He's also in the lead regardless!   :biggrin:

JR - Love, love, love his playing especially when he plays a normal piano sound and skips the wackier synth sounds.

J Myung - I don't know how to classify his playing style, but it's very "fluid" and the fact that he doesn't use a pick much (if at all?) just seals the deal.

I play all of the same instruments as they do but can't even come remotely close to their skill levels, so that is probably what draws my attention to them.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
KM
JP
MP

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2019, 10:27:45 AM »
I voted for:

Mike Portnoy - The reason I stuck around all those years.  He made it special, and made Dream Theater unlike (in a good way) any other band I listened to. 

James LaBrie - Being a Maiden and Yes fan from way back, when I bought Images and Words (on release) it was James' voice that separated them out.   I had never heard anything like that except in Journey, but this was more like what I listened to. 

Kevin Moore:  This is more a sympathy pick, since I can't really discriminate between Petrucci and Rudess, but I gave it to Moore because he really DID impact the sound.   Not saying "better" (or worse) but those first three albums have a distinct sound to them, and I attribute that largely to Moore.  Plus I loved his lyrics (and I DO NOT listen to DT for the lyrics, believe me).   

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »
Portnoy - Wouldn't have gotten into the band if not for his drumming. I think he's truly special.

Labrie - Love his vocals especially in the early days. His performances after 8VM don't impress me as much but I still think he's great.

Moore - I absolutely adore his contribution to the band. I love Rudess but KM is definitely more my style.

It feels awful leaving Petrucci out because he's been the most consistently amazing band member by a large margin. The others just impacted me more I guess.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2019, 04:18:44 AM »
I wanted to vote for MP, but this came to my mind  :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_8E3FOU4s

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2019, 07:00:20 AM »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
JP
JR
JLB
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »
I never knew MP was in Metallica.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »
Mike was such a huge part of why I was a BIG fan of Dream Theater. I mean I loved their music, which is a huge start, but back when I became a fan (2003), along with his drumming which I did and still do love he was so engaging with fans, was active with great special shows, setlist changes, and generally sent things out that caused heavy fan engagement and excitement. To me Mike is the single biggest factor in why Dream Theater was more than just a band I loved, and so he'll always have a special place for that.

After that it's hard to look past the duo that is Rudess/Petrucci. Sure, Moore and Sherinian have both played on a lot of material I've loved, but these two have been there the entire time I've been following just tearing things up.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2019, 01:02:29 PM »
To me Mike is the single biggest factor in why Dream Theater was more than just a band I loved, and so he'll always have a special place for that.

Well said.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
To me Mike is the single biggest factor in why Dream Theater was more than just a band I loved, and so he'll always have a special place for that.

Well said.

Yes, I totally feel the same way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2019, 11:17:19 PM »
I never knew MP was in Metallica.

I don't get it either.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2019, 01:06:12 AM »
J Myung - I don't know how to classify his playing style, but it's very "fluid" and the fact that he doesn't use a pick much (if at all?) just seals the deal.
He recorded the final section of "The Dark Eternal Night" with a pick.

Weird: the song's video, from the official DT and RoadRunner YouTube channels, has disappeared. ???

Offline H2

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2019, 12:07:02 PM »
JP; JR; and MP

JP is the sound of DT.
JR is perhaps their best composer (I believe he composed SDOIT in its entirety, but it may have just been the Overture).
MP was just so much--their leader, main liaison to the fans (and founder of YtseJam Records), main producer of DT's "image", main showman, and more. I do feel that losing MP was a major blow which fundamentally changed DT. Although they obviously are surviving without him, he was such a creative influence (in a mostly very good way) that they definitely lost a strong element of their "spiritual direction" (I guess you could say) when he left.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »
I find this thread fascinating. A small sample size for sure. But pinpointing who fans consider their "favorites," is essentially the same as asking who could the band lose in the eyes of the fans. From the results of the poll, it is clear that Labrie and Petrucci are absolutely key fixtures the band cannot lose. With Rudess being a close third.

I wonder what the results would have been pre-MP departure.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2019, 06:09:33 AM »
JP
MP
JR

I had a tough time between JR, KM, and DS.  Any one of the 3 works in the #3 spot for me.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2019, 09:14:44 AM »
MM, Jordan (for their technical proficiency and distinct lack of mistakes) and James (for his distinct voice, I can't imagine anyone else singing in DT really)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2019, 07:18:25 AM »
MP, JP & JR.

Portnoy is my all time favorite musician. Loved how much he put into DT while he was in the band. It hasn't been the same since he's been gone. The music is still great of course, but it isn't the same.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2019, 05:15:18 AM »
JP - without him there would be no DT (or LTE) as we know them
KM - I like both DS and JR playing but KM atmospherics made Awake and I&W my top 2 DT albums
JLB - difficult choice for the third place (between MP and JMX) but JLB can be the only voice for DT, and as mentioned previously deserves a medal for the bashers treatment.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer