Poll

Which of the following statements most accurately represents your views?

Photography and recording are perfectly fine, no matter what. You paid for these tickets and you have the right to record your enjoyment.
Photography and recording are okay, but only so long as neither the band nor the venue disallow it.
Photography and recording are okay as long as you aren't directly blocking the view of anyone behind or around you.
Photography and recording should be greatly minimized, perhaps restricted to a couple shots after the encore.
Photography and recording have no place in a concert space, just as they have no place in a movie theater, or most other performing arts.

Author Topic: How do you feel about smartphone photography and filming at concerts?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: How do you feel about smartphone photography and filming at concerts?
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »
Not a fan of recording at shows. I personally feel it removes me from the experience. Any time I have recorded in the past, I rarely go back and watch the videos. So for me, I don’t need to.

When others record, it doesn’t bother me as long it’s not blocking my view. Some asshole at my first Steven Wilson concert (seated venue) held his phone right in front of my view for the duration of three songs, one which I was really excited for. It was a huge distraction and it hindered my enjoyment of the show. I even tapped him on the shoulder at one point to tell him but he kept doing it.

I will say, I usually get in the front row at most shows I attend so distraction from others is never an issue for me. Every now and then, I’ll record a quick 10 second or so video from a very low angle that isn’t blocking anyone’s view or catching anyone’s attention. I only do this just as a cool little reminder of the show and to share with some friends.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 03:36:34 PM »
I think if I ever wanted to record a video of a concert with my phone, I'd get something like this.

DigiOptix Smart Glasses
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2019, 08:48:09 PM »
I would like to choose both of these options:

Photography and recording are okay, but only so long as neither the band nor the venue disallow it.
Photography and recording are okay as long as you aren't directly blocking the view of anyone behind or around you.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2019, 07:47:53 AM »
On topic:

https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2019/04/at-concert-bob-dylan-speaks-to-fans/

I am not a Dylan fan, but I am on his side on this one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2019, 08:18:48 AM »
On topic:

Of course, there’s video. Watch it before it disappears.
and its gone  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2019, 05:49:14 PM »
Some bands are trying to work with fans on this. Blackmore's Night was very clear: first two songs, take pictures, take video, do what you do to your heart's content.  AFTER song two (and Candace acknowledged that moment, so it was clear), you get caught taking pics/video, you leave the venue.    Bruce, on Broadway, had a strict no phone/no video policy during the performance, but had a period - and it was a good five minutes, plus - where, after the last song, you could snap away, and he was cool about it.  He would pose and he moved from side to side on the stage. He was clearly uncomfortable, but it was a concession to the fans (I think I noted this in my review; you can tell he's a star and he's become accustomed to his celebrity. He knows he's being photographed almost constantly, and he has a way of moving, "deliberately" is the best word, which allows for photos to be taken, without undue interference. I don't know what he's thinking, but it almost seems to me that he is giving them their moment, their "inch", and hoping they don't take their "mile" by crowding him or otherwise bullying him as paparazzi sometimes do.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2019, 06:04:33 PM »
You have a bunch of older bands and artists not cool with it, I often bring up Glenn Danzig, but you have Tool and others who have strict no camera policies.  I don't personally think it does the bands any favors, but does anyone know any newer bands that are against it?  I think that's more interesting

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2019, 07:10:23 PM »
On topic:

FUCK Bob Dylan. Seriously FUCK HIM!

Oh so he can SELL HIS FUCKING TICKETS but after paying what was probably a fucking fortune, the FANS can't take a FUCKING picture. FUCK HIM!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »
On topic:

Oh so he can SELL HIS FUCKING TICKETS but after paying what was probably a fucking fortune, the FANS can't take a FUCKING picture. FUCK HIM!

From what I understand, it is made clear to fans beforehand that Dylan does not want pics taken, so if fans don't like that, they don't have to go now.  If the artist asks that pics and video not be taken, fans should be respectful and honor that request.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2019, 08:25:07 PM »
So FUCK him anyway.

I don't agree with that whatsoever. If people shell out their hard earned money, God forbid they take a picture of their hero/idol.

Who the fuck is Bob Dylan anyway, and has he done anything worth a shit since 1965? Seriously, why does he even matter?
These are his fans. The people that worship him, and he's gonna shit on them like that??

They buy his albums.
They buy his tickets.
They buy his merchandise.

Yet, he's gonna storm offstage?

FUCK BOB DYLAN!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2019, 08:25:24 PM »
Then I will never buy a ticket to see him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2019, 08:29:43 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I am fine with taking a few pics, as I will sometimes snap a few myself, but if the artist specifically says beforehand that they do not want it done, I would not do it.  Buying a ticket does not give you some divine right to do whatever you want.  You have a ticket to see a concert, not record it or take pictures at it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2019, 08:33:46 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I am fine with taking a few pics, as I will sometimes snap a few myself, but if the artist specifically says beforehand that they do not want it done, I would not do it.  Buying a ticket does not give you some divine right to do whatever you want.  You have a ticket to see a concert, not record it or take pictures at it.

Buying the ticket DOES give me the divine right. It's a fucking picture for God's sake.

I completely and strongly disagree with this. I don't know what else to say,..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »
Neither do I. We can agree to disagree. :tup :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2019, 08:39:45 PM »
Neither do I. We can agree to disagree. :tup :tup

All good, Bobshmob. ;D

:tup :tup

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2019, 09:12:58 PM »
Buying the ticket DOES give me the divine right. It's a fucking picture for God's sake.

I completely and strongly disagree with this. I don't know what else to say,..
Agreed 100%

No clue how me taking a picture of a stage that I paid money to see effects the artist onstage. As long as I'm doing it respectfully
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2019, 11:19:51 PM »
Bob Dylan is an idol of mine, and one whom i saw a few months ago. I knew he doesnt like photography and so i didnt take a picture. No big deal whatsoever. Hes still an idol of mine and i had a great night.

Oh and by the way, Dylan has done phenomenal work since 1965.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 01:47:42 AM »
Nowadays I have my camera ready on my phone. I turn the brightness all the way down. When something special is happening or some other reason, I can whip out my phone then focus and snap the pic or little video. I put it back in my pocket afterwards and continue to rock out.

Most of the time though im too busy jamming out that I dont feel like taking a picture. I didn't take one picture of the DT show besides a shot of the stage before the show started.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2019, 03:04:40 AM »

FUCK BOB DYLAN!

I ain't ever mad. :)

:biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2019, 06:13:27 AM »
 :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2019, 07:41:09 AM »
Something I've been thinking about.

Is there newer bands that ask not to take pictures or videos?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2019, 07:44:56 AM »
Something I've been thinking about.

Is there newer bands that ask not to take pictures or videos?

No idea, but I would imagine a newer band would be mostly or all younger people, most of whom have zero grasp of living in a world without cell phones, unlike us older folks :lol, so they are far less likely to take issue with it, IMO.  Plus, a newer band looking to work their way up and gain more fans probably sees fan videos and whatnot that can get posted on YT and FB as a way of getting their name out there more, while established acts probably aren't as desperate for fans and/or recognition in that regard.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2019, 07:48:52 AM »
Exactly my point.  You have to see this as new avenue for promotion.   Now you and I will say those holding a phone up for a whole show shouldn't happen,  small amounts should be the wave of the future.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2019, 07:57:07 AM »
Yea, I asked the same question earlier.  I can't think of any new band that has a no phone/camera policy, but maybe some exist out there and I wonder what their reception is like.  I feel like newer bands know they need the social media exposure from fans sharing pics/videos. 

Last fall when I saw Haken I was pretty much on the side of the stage, I took many videos as I do, clearly in their view and whatnot.  Ross gave me a fist bump near the end of the show, over extending his arm across the gap of the stage.  I thought it was really awesome and a sign that he either didn't care or was happy someone was recording parts of the show for exposure.  Too bad I didn't catch the fist bump on video https://youtu.be/jZH2Tr-O2yg?t=1214

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2019, 08:00:46 AM »
Bob Dylan doesn't care about promoting anymore.   He's established.   He can't understand or need this as a promotional tool. 

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2019, 08:05:13 AM »
I think I'm a mix between #2 and #3. Honestly, I think it's important to record these concerts from a historical and sharing perspective. In our times, it allows the spread of the music to countries that are harder to reach or less likely to be reach (like in parts of SE Asia, Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America) and gives people in those parts of the world an opportunity to experience the concert vicariously through someone else's eyes. Historically, these bootleg recordings are also going to be important from a historical perspective later on. Decades from now, it could establish a "standard performance practice" for the music of an artist or genre, similar to how certain period writings and books inform how people play Chopin or Bach today. Even today, many theater students use bootleg performances to inform how they approach a role and use them as a learning tool. It's also useful from a historical perspective because it gives opportunities to see a band or artist at their least polished, which can be a great teaching tool for the next generation of musicians by giving them examples of what to do or not to do. It can also help with tracing the development of live music and the personal professional history of large artists like Taylor Swift or Dream Theater.

That said, I think these need to be done respectfully. Blocking someone else's view is obviously no bueno. And if an artist deliberately requests that photography or video taping not be allowed, I think that request should be complied with. And if you're going to a concert that's being professionally filmed, why even bother with filming it on a crappy iPhone camera? There's already a record of it that you can get to relive the experience with MUCH better quality than whatever's on your phone.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2019, 08:11:20 AM »
So if we're right about younger bands encouraging this and younger concert goers being especially taken with this trend—which I think we are—does that mean we may reach a tipping point in a few years time, beyond which it will be only a small minority who don't record the shows they attend?

Bob Dylan doesn't care about promoting anymore.   He's established.   He can't understand or need this as a promotional tool. 

To take it a step further, I think it's clear he's using this stance as a promotional tool. The persona he has always been famous for, which his fans adore and his detractors have always liked to make fun of, is characterized precisely this kind of curmudgeonly and difficult attitude.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2019, 08:36:16 AM »
No.  He thinks about his music and not about technology.  Bob isn't the protester he once was.  He's about his craft now.  He was before but with the political beliefs.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2019, 08:46:08 AM »
And when he stopped with the politically themed songs? Was that not a form of protest? Or when he subsequently started writing gospel songs? Or, when he did whatever the hell he did in the mid-80s that most everyone hates? Seems to me the man has always protested against something, but especially against categorization, and I don't see how that's changed. He doesn't talk to his audience, doesn't allow pictures, doesn't deal with the press in a normal way, etc.

Of course I think you're right that he thinks more about his music than about technology, and always has done, but that doesn't mean he's lost the rebellious tendencies that helped make him famous.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2019, 08:58:10 AM »
So if we're right about younger bands encouraging this and younger concert goers being especially taken with this trend—which I think we are—does that mean we may reach a tipping point in a few years time, beyond which it will be only a small minority who don't record the shows they attend?

Over saturation could be a thing and maybe make people reverse this, who knows.  But it will be interesting to see how the concert viewing experience changes 10, 20, 30 years from now.  Which makes me wonder for all the older folks, was the camera phone the biggest change to the concert experience ever?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2019, 09:03:34 AM »
I think age has a lot to do with it.  Your piss n vinegar dissipates with age. It has for me. Lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2019, 07:41:07 AM »

Sorry, but you are dead wrong on this.  Buying a ticket does not give you the right to do anything the band, venue, and municipality do not allow you to do.  You don't have to like it or agree with it, but that's the way it is.  The law is 100% against you on this one, and there isn't even a slight bit of wiggle room in the argument.  If artist, venue, and municipality set a rule for their shows, whether it be "no pictures" or whatever else, and you break the rule, they can kick you out and there is zero you can do about it because, legally, you have no rights other than what they give you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »
Those two Bob Dylan posts of TAC's have me howling.  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2019, 08:29:41 AM »

Sorry, but you are dead wrong on this.  Buying a ticket does not give you the right to do anything the band, venue, and municipality do not allow you to do.  You don't have to like it or agree with it, but that's the way it is.  The law is 100% against you on this one, and there isn't even a slight bit of wiggle room in the argument.  If artist, venue, and municipality set a rule for their shows, whether it be "no pictures" or whatever else, and you break the rule, they can kick you out and there is zero you can do about it because, legally, you have no rights other than what they give you.

What does legality have to do with it?  Sure you will get kicked out for breaking the rules, but where does the law come into play for this?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »

What does legality have to do with it?  Sure you will get kicked out for breaking the rules, but where does the law come into play for this?

The law absolutely comes into play.  When you buy a ticket to a concert, sporting event, etc., you are buying a small bundle of certain rights that, in legal terms, is referred to as a license.  You don't have ownership in anything.  You can't do whatever you want with your seat because you don't own it.  You only have the right to be present and witness the event in whatever limited capacity the venue, artist, and municipality have decided to allow.  Most of the time, people wouldn't even consider it as a "limitation" on their rights because the limits are usually inherently reasonable in the context of the event.  But it is why, for example, they can search you without your permission, without a warrant, and without suspicion that you have done anything wrong.  You don't like it?  You don't get to come in.  It is why, for example, they can kick you out for not following their arbitrary rules, or for any other reason, and if you try to sue and get your money back and recover damages, you will lose every single time (barring being able to prove discrimination, or some other very limited circumstances). 

TAC was talking about "rights."  So the law very much speaks to this issue.  And TAC is very much dead wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."