Author Topic: Mastered for iTunes DT albums  (Read 867 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Mastered for iTunes DT albums
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:43:10 PM »
Since I live in a country where buying Dream Theater music on CD would cost me a fortune, I have resorted to buying their music through online download. With D/T, I bought the music through the iTunes store for the first time, after deciding to ditch HDTracks because it eats so much space in my phone. I liked its quality, and I was actually confused when I read comments complaining about the quality of the audio of those who listened to the CD.

Then I noticed the label "Mastered for iTunes". Read up on it and was surprised that music with this label uses a different master from the CD. It is specifically mastered for a portable format like the m4a files of iTunes, not just downsample it from the CD master.

Curious, I bought the "Mastered for iTunes" self-titled even though I already bought it before in mp3 and HDtracks. And I was surprised when I listened to it. It does sound better than my old mp3s, as I can hear the cymbals clearer and some of the clipping was reduced. I listened to the two versions one after the other and there really is a difference.

I'm thinking of rebuying the other albums that are Mastered for iTunes (ADTOE and TA) as my old HDTracks are in my old laptop that I have no desire to reopen anytime soon.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:08:42 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Mastered for iTunes DT albums
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »
I always (almost) buy downloadable stuff from Amazon and it sounds good enough for me. I'd be interested to hear how the iTunes version of the new album sounds.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!