Never seen them live
6 (5.2%)
3 (2.6%)
9 (7.8%)
9 (7.8%)
4 or more
88 (76.5%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: How many times have you seen DT and how many more times do you plan to?  (Read 5229 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
12 times

Images and Words on 1st of April 1993 in Stockholm being the first.
Will definiteley see them when they come to Stockholm next.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
47, and i have 4 tickets on the european leg  '19 (still thinking about 5th)

You have to go all out for your 50th show!   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bill1971

I lost track 13 or 14, going back to the Awake tour. This includes, Gigantour and those Prognation shows.

Offline Setlist Scotty

There's probably a thread like this already, but I was having trouble finding it.
There is under the "Concerts and Setlists" subforum tho it doesn't have a poll:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=28476.0

That said, to answer your question, I'm up to 55 shows now. However, with the setlists be static (the current tour basically is), I'm just going to see them once per tour unlike the past where I've see them up to 8 times on one tour leg. If they change the setlist up later on in this tour, I'll try to catch another show.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lethean

Unless there is a flat-out scheduling conflict, I definitely want to see them again this tour cycle.  Not only was the performance amazing, but I really want to see some of the other songs (S2N and At Wit's End in particular).

Forgive me if you've already said - but are you pretty confident that there will be a second US leg?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Unless there is a flat-out scheduling conflict, I definitely want to see them again this tour cycle.  Not only was the performance amazing, but I really want to see some of the other songs (S2N and At Wit's End in particular).

Forgive me if you've already said - but are you pretty confident that there will be a second US leg?

I don't see why not, they pretty much always do two legs for an album release tour.  Maybe bosk knows more, but I'd guess they will be back next winter.  These shows sold better than I can ever remember for them.

and I don't think I answered the second question, but unless things change, I'd expect to see them at least once every tour until they retire and likely more than once per tour too if possible.

Offline AnimalsAsLeaders

• Kachow!
Until I see them together with Tool and Animals As Leaders, then I can rest in peace  :biggrin:

Offline nattmorker

4 times in total (one for each tour cycle since SC, when I became a fan, I just missed the BC&SL show):

SC - Toronto
ADTOE - Mexico
DT12 - Mexico
TA - Mexico

I hope they come to Mexico with this tour cycle (they didn't come here with the I&W anniversary), they will be playing here in a festival in May, but I want to see the full show (and it's quite expensive to see them in a festival).

Offline Lethean

I don't see why not, they pretty much always do two legs for an album release tour.  Maybe bosk knows more, but I'd guess they will be back next winter.  These shows sold better than I can ever remember for them.

I don't see why not either, but you never know.  They didn't do a second leg for DT12 right? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Good point, forgot about that and its fairly recent.  They did Europe twice that tour though?  Then Euro only got one tour for TA and US got two.

Offline thunderdog10

25 times with Orlando and Tampa coming up next week  ;D

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
10 times.... Charlotte next week will be 11!  There's all kinds of Spinal Tap references with that...

I don't think I'm going to be able to catch Scotty!

I'll see them until they stop...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline gborland

Probably 30 to 40 times, all over the UK and in continental Europe, Asia and the USA. I've lost count.

I may see them again if they do any more huge special events (like Score) but I'm not going to travel any great distance for a standard DT gig.
Graham Borland

Offline dtrocker25

Between Dfw and Tulsa 9 times over the last several tours including opening for Maiden  ...will be 10 on the 29th in Dallas..and yes..as long as they tour and if it’s in Dallas or Okla or if I can hopefully one day make a show in NYC

Offline DTA

SFAM - 2 times (Full SFAM/Spock's Beard tour)
SDOIT - 3 times (BB Kings pre-release/Evening With.../King's X/Satch)
ToT - 2 times (Evening With.../Yes opening slot)
8VM - 3 times (Gigantour, Evening With.../Score show)
SC - 1 time (Headliner)
BC&SL - 1 time (Headliner)
ADTOE - 1 time (Headliner)
DT12 - 1 time (Evening With...)
TA - 2 times (Evening With.../I&W&B)
D/T - 1 time (Evening With...)

I plan to see them whenever they come locally if the setlist contains songs I have not yet heard live.

Offline pg1067

Looking at the poll results, the options probably should have been different -- e.g., never; 1-5 times; 6-10 times; . . . more than 25 times.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
8 times, 4 times here in St Louis (1994, 2000, 2004 and 2016), 2 times in Chicago (2002 and 2014), 1 time in Orlando (2000) and 1 time in Kansas City (2014).

I doubt I will ever travel to another city to see them again, but I will definitely go see them every time they come back to STL.

Offline Rattlehead

I've seen them 4 times...

Paris, FR 2012
Red Bank, NJ 2014
New York, NY 2016
Red Bank, NJ 2019

They're on a short list of bands that I try to see whenever they are local, so I'm sure I'll see them many more times. Unfortunately, I started listening to them in 2010, so I missed out on a lot of great shows  :sadpanda:

Offline gzarruk

Never seen them live. The only time they came to my country (March 2010 - BC&SL tour with Bigelf opening) I was a teenager still in school and had to miss it for many reasons. I kept hoping they'd come back for future tours, but they just never did :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
11 times, basically every album tour except for Images and Words (peritonitis) and Falling into Infinity (my car broke on the road to the venue)

First one was surreal: Awake tour, no more than 150 people (bona fide monsoon during the afternoon and really small club) and I didn't know Kevin was gone and Derek was on board.

Last one was even more surreal: IAW&B in Florence, same theatre I performed in a couple of months before. Felt very proud but very sorry for them.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
1999 European tour in Milan, pre-full SFAM show
2000 European tour in Milan, best of setlist, A Change of Seasons as encore
2002 European tour in Milan, Six Degrees show
2004 European tour in Milan, Train of Thought show
2005 European tour in Milan, Octavarium show
2007 Gods of Metal festival in Milan, entire Images and Words album played, first date of the whole tour
2007 European tour in Milan, Systematic Chaos show
2009 Gods of Metal festival in Milan (actually it was a nearby city, Monza), pre-Black Clouds summer shows
2012 European tour in Milan, A Dramatic Turn of Events show
2014 European tour in Milan, self titled show
2016, European tour in Milan, The Astonishing live
2017, European tour in Milan, Images and Words and Beyond

So I've seen them 12 times. I plan to see the summer gig and then the mandatory autumn gig with SFAM played in full this year, which will make 14. And then once a tour for all foreseeable tours to come.

I had NO idea you were Italian (unless you really like to travel all the way to Milan from wherever you are from!)

As for myself, 6 times soon to be 7:

2012.02.21 - Milano (ADTOE)
2014.01.24 - Firenze (DT12 Leg 1)
2014.07.23 - Brescia (DT12 Leg 2, best DT show I've been to)
2015.07.2x - Pistoia (30th anniversary mini-tour)
2016.03.18 - Milano (TA tour)
2017.04.23 - London (IAW shows)
--
2019.07.12 - Saint-Julien en Genevois (Summer DoT tour)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
I've been trying to determine how many times I've seen them on the ADTOE tour, I went to shows on both the first and second U.S. legs. I'm trying to think of the best way to track that down, looking over old credit card statements would be a pain in the ass :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline legenden1

I´ve seen the tours for:

Awake
FII
Scenes
Six Degrees
Octavarium
Systematic Chaos
The Astonishing

Think I enjoyed Awake and TA the most. I usually don´t like the concept of bands playing a whole album but since I absolutely adore The Astonishing it was wonderful. I really hope that album gets the recognition it deserves sooner or later. Don´t understand the people that call it a departure from the core sound, I think it was exactly in line with their core sound and what they do best!

Online MirrorMask

I had NO idea you were Italian (unless you really like to travel all the way to Milan from wherever you are from!)

Why? hopefully it's because I write better english than the majority of our fellow citizens  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Felt very proud but very sorry for them.

This is a very intriguing comment. Tell us more.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
For starters, I believe DT deserves better and larger venues than poor old me.

Offline pg1067

I've been trying to determine how many times I've seen them on the ADTOE tour, I went to shows on both the first and second U.S. legs. I'm trying to think of the best way to track that down, looking over old credit card statements would be a pain in the ass :lol

If you still have credit card statements from 2011, you need to consider buying a shredder.   ;D

You don't print/keep ticket stubs?

You can check setlist.fm to find the dates for pretty much any tour.  Pre-ADTOE stuff is also up on MP's site, although that particular section has been down for the last week or so.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Air Weaver

short answer, A: 6 and B: many North American tours as they have left in them

I'm an oddball here. My first two shows were in the 90s, then a long drought. First show was opening for ELP and Moody Blues IIRC. (Harveys Lake PA) - this was after years of being a fan from the day I discovered I&W at my local record shop. 2nd show was in Boston, maybe early 2000s, with Fates Warning and Queensryche.

Lost touch with the scene, had kids, focused live music more in the jam band world. I tended to prefer live shows of bands that did different sets every night, improvised on stage. Think Phish.

Rediscovered DT after the whole Portnoy departure, didn't even know about ADTOE until Self-titled popped into my universe by chance. Got back on board whole heartedly like I discovered my long lost love. This may be why I like the self-titled album a lot more than most posters here. I regret not seeing that tour for Illumination Theory, but am so glad we have Breaking the Fourth Wall.

Saw Astonishing leg one with VIP, then took my kids to leg 2 of Astonishing, and I&W anniversary, then did VIP with them last week for this tour. I guess I've now seen as many DT shows with my kids as without them now, and any future shows will at least involved my daughter if not both. After the fun we had on Astonishing and with Scenes, I think we will find a way to wear some kind of costume for future shows again.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
ToT tour
One-Off Club Show while on tour opening for Maiden
Opening for Maiden
ADToE Tour
AT tour

All in Seattle except the club show in PDX.

With getting older (me, not them) and committing my limited time and resources to seeing other bands I've never seen, I cannot say how many more times I will make a point to see them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Learning2Live

At least 1 show from every album tour since FII as well as the I&W&B tour. All have been standard shows - no festivals like Gigantour or Prog Nation. Also saw them on a one-off night in Columbus while opening for Maiden, not too long before MP left. I will continue to see them as many times possible in the future whenever they come to the Ohio/Michigan area. Never know when the last one will be so I won't miss any chance I can get to see them.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Eight:

1  FII tour  (Cincinnati)
2  SFAM  (Cincinnati)
2  SDOIT  (Chicago)
1  Escape From the Studio  (Cincinnati)
1  The Astonishing  (Charlotte)
1  I&W&B (Asheville, NC)

Offline gzarruk

short answer, A: 6 and B: many North American tours as they have left in them

I'm an oddball here. My first two shows were in the 90s, then a long drought. First show was opening for ELP and Moody Blues IIRC. (Harveys Lake PA) - this was after years of being a fan from the day I discovered I&W at my local record shop. 2nd show was in Boston, maybe early 2000s, with Fates Warning and Queensryche.

Lost touch with the scene, had kids, focused live music more in the jam band world. I tended to prefer live shows of bands that did different sets every night, improvised on stage. Think Phish.

Rediscovered DT after the whole Portnoy departure, didn't even know about ADTOE until Self-titled popped into my universe by chance. Got back on board whole heartedly like I discovered my long lost love. This may be why I like the self-titled album a lot more than most posters here. I regret not seeing that tour for Illumination Theory, but am so glad we have Breaking the Fourth Wall.

Saw Astonishing leg one with VIP, then took my kids to leg 2 of Astonishing, and I&W anniversary, then did VIP with them last week for this tour. I guess I've now seen as many DT shows with my kids as without them now, and any future shows will at least involved my daughter if not both. After the fun we had on Astonishing and with Scenes, I think we will find a way to wear some kind of costume for future shows again.

Great story!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Looks like 16 with another coming up next week. As for how many more times, once per album. Cookie cutter shows ended my interest in traveling to see them more than once per tour.

Dallas, 8/16/02
Dallas, 6/25/03
Dallas, 8/2/05
NYC, 4/1/06
Dallas, 8/2/07
Dallas, 6/9/10
Houston, 6/9/10
Houston, 10/25/11
Austin, 10/26/11
Dallas, 10/27/11
Austin, 7/7/12
Dallas, 7/9/12   
Wallingford, 4/20/16
NYC, 4/22/16
Dallas, 12/13/16
Dallas, 12/2/17
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->

Why? hopefully it's because I write better english than the majority of our fellow citizens  ;D

Definitely, and you read more sensible and respectful than the majority of your fellow citizens as well  :tup

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
I'd love to see them again on this tour when it gets to the UK but it really depends on the venue. The soulless, mid-size arenas that DT usually here in the UK don't do bands any favours at all. I can't see me shelling out for one of those. Fingers crossed there are a few slightly smaller, intimate places on the list.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.