Never seen them live
6 (5.2%)
3 (2.6%)
9 (7.8%)
9 (7.8%)
4 or more
88 (76.5%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: How many times have you seen DT and how many more times do you plan to?  (Read 5184 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Have to check the stubs but I think I'm at 43 or 44. I've only seen them 5 times Portnoy left.

They might overtake Rush if they're around for another 5 or 6 tour cycles and they keep new music in the set.

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

Have to check the stubs but I think I'm at 43 or 44.

Holy cow! That's something like twice per tour, or even more, right?

I've seen them twice, in Luna Park, Buenos Aires. "Panic Attack" from the Chaos in Motion DVD was recorded at my first show. And, I was part of the local fan-club's first Q&A with Jordan and John P., just before the 2nd show. So, both very memorable.

Offline gzarruk

Have to check the stubs but I think I'm at 43 or 44.

Holy cow! That's something like twice per tour, or even more, right?

I've seen them twice, in Luna Park, Buenos Aires. "Panic Attack" from the Chaos in Motion DVD was recorded at my first show. And, I was part of the local fan-club's first Q&A with Jordan and John P., just before the 2nd show. So, both very memorable.

Were you at the Luna Park shows that were recorded in 2012 too? :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Nope. I was going through a no-DT phase back then. I gave ADToE a second chance in 2013, and have been in love with the new albums ever since. But, back in 2011/2012, I focused on other bands.

Una pena, la verdad.

¿Qué tal tú?

Offline gzarruk

Nope. I was going through a no-DT phase back then. I gave ADToE a second chance in 2013, and have been in love with the new albums ever since. But, back in 2011/2012, I focused on other bands.

Una pena, la verdad.

¿Qué tal tú?

Te perdiste la oportunidad de la vida! Yo, esperando que anuncien gira por Sudamérica, a ver si pasan de vuelta por aquí, después de casi 10 años :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Te perdiste la oportunidad de la vida! Yo, esperando que anuncien gira por Sudamérica, a ver si pasan de vuelta por aquí, después de casi 10 años :'(
¡Ojalá! A lo mejor es cuestión de que surjan nuevos promotores que se animen a trabajar con el grupo.

Offline Madman Shepherd

About a dozen times. Once per tour or leg since 2007.  Saw them 3 times before that (first time in 2000) but money was a bit tighter then so I was more choosy.

Offline tjanuranus

Philly was my 40th show. Planning on seeing at least two times each time they come to north east. Sometimes 3 per visit but at least two.

Offline PMA

I've been to every tour starting with Awake.  I live in the SF Bay Area so they always make a stop here.  They are my favorite band so if they come, I'm there.

Offline RipRokken

First time was last Monday, assuming it might very likely be once. Miscalculation... have to do it again, and going thru all their albums again over the last month (a few for the first time) pushed me into new levels of fanhood and appreciation. :)

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
Next show will be my 20th appearance at a DT gig.Starting in 1993 in Utrecht. So far i've only missed the ADTOE tour because of the venue i didn't like. A former kettle hall. Moohhhh  :natalieportman:

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
I've been a fan since 2001 and DT is one of my favorite bands but I've only seen them twice. I know. Big Fail. I saw them once on the current tour and once in 2016 for the Images & Words Anniversary tour. I plan to continue seeing them whenever they play here (Schlong Island) or in New York Shitty.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
I've seen them a dozen or so times since 2001.  Was never able to catch shows in the 90's due too my work.  Recently I've hit a bit of a DT wall.  I missed this tour, which is the first I've missed since 2001.  Still love and appreciate the band but I just don't feel that rabid excitement that I used to. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

I've been a fan since 2001 and DT is one of my favorite bands but I've only seen them twice. I know. Big Fail. I saw them once on the current tour and once in 2016 for the Images & Words Anniversary tour. I plan to continue seeing them whenever they play here (Schlong Island) or in New York Shitty.
Herrick has failed BIG time, considering Herrick seems to live in the city that gets more DT shows than anywhere else! By my count, they've played the NYC area 26 times since Herrick became a fan. (And Herrick is failing to keep speaking in the third person about himself too!  :biggrin:)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

I've seen them somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 times.  I think I've only missed two or three shows in the Twin Cities since 1994, when I first saw them.  Also drove to Long Island with my friend and some dudes he met on the internet back in 95 (on some very early DT fan club/message board called Ytsecon or something). 

One of the best shows of my life was seeing DT play First Avenue in downtown Minneapolis on what must have been the FII tour.  I've always preferred seeing them in standing room club-style venues rather than theaters.
PBR me ASAP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
6.5 times...

07/30/2005: Gigantour
06/16/2010: Iron Maiden
5/3/2016: The Astonishing
11/15/2016: The Astonishing
10/29/2017: Images and Words and Beyond (had to leave after the first set, so this one counts as half)
12/2/2017: Images and Words and Beyond
3/26/2019: Distance Over Time
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
10/29/2017: Images and Words and Beyond (had to leave after the first set, so this one counts as half)

Had to leave? Planned or not  planned?
Would have been so bummed at missing out on I&W and ACOS.

Luckily you saw that later

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

Had to leave? Planned or not  planned?
Would have been so bummed at missing out on I&W and ACOS.

Luckily you saw that later

I didn't want to, but I had to. Other obligations, I wasn't going to miss them for a local evening with show. So glad I went though as I got to see To Live Forever and Don't Look Past Me. And I wasn't going to miss ACOS, which is why I opted for the next closest date...Irving. Was not disappointed as we got to hear Hourglass.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline robbob

I've seen them 9 times, all in Chicago area. 1st time was in '07 for SC, last time was this March.
I plan on seeing them every time they come thru Chicago.

Offline JLa

Seen them three times. Don't really plan to see them again.

Offline TheCountOfMinnesota

JLa, why not?
PBR me ASAP

Offline Anxiety35

I've seen them 3 times. I don't know if I'll see them again.

Back in the day (mid-late 90's and early 2000's) I went to so many concerts as I was in my late teens-early 20's then living in a major metropolitan area. There was a show or two to go to every week of the year and I dropped a lot of $$ on concert tickets from 1995-2002.

I've gotten older, married, kids, career, moved away, etc. and the desire to go to concerts has really become non-existent. I'm content with cranking up albums. Priorities change. We change.

I have fond memories of DT shows. All 3 that I saw were excellent.

Offline pg1067

I've seen them 3 times. I don't know if I'll see them again.

Back in the day (mid-late 90's and early 2000's) I went to so many concerts as I was in my late teens-early 20's then living in a major metropolitan area. There was a show or two to go to every week of the year and I dropped a lot of $$ on concert tickets from 1995-2002.

I've gotten older, married, kids, career, moved away, etc. and the desire to go to concerts has really become non-existent. I'm content with cranking up albums. Priorities change. We change.

This is a very pertinent point that's also applicable to me.  I attended my first concert in April 1984 (at age 16) and my most recent concert in March 2019 (at age 51) -- a 35 year window.  Without doing too fine an analysis, it looks like 50% of the concerts I attended happened during the first six years of that time period and less than 30% have happened during the last half of that time period.

I'll still see DT and a couple other bands every time they play in my area, but most of the same factors you mentioned also curtailed my concert going significantly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JLa

JLa, why not?

Concerts are too loud, or I am too old, or both. My ears hurt even with ear plugs.
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53644.0

Also, JLB is getting too much of a hit-and-miss. Going by a lot of YouTube videos, some nights he's good and other nights he's just horrendous. I'd rather not sit through 2-3 hours watching one of my favorite musicians butcher my favorite songs. I'll just get the BluRay instead..

Quote from: Anxiety35

This too, pretty much.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni

There is light at the end of the tunnel....

When the kids grow up it becomes easier to go out to concerts again.
For quite some years I only went when DT, Opeth, Pain of Salvation or A.C.T showed up. So maybe once or twice a year.

Now that they are older I go to about one concert per month and sometimes take overnight trips for shows which did not happen when the kids were small.

Now they go to concerts with me at times.... (granted not always to my concerts)

Offline romdrums

First time I saw them was in 1998 opening for ELP and Deep Purple.  Didn't see them again until 2003 on the QR and FW tour.  Then I saw them twice on the Train of Thought tour, the 8V tour, the first Progressive Nation and then the first leg of the ADTOE tour.  Haven't seen them since, but that's mostly due to a combination of them not playing shows in cities close to me on a weekend, or work, or now having a family.  Hoping they can play in either Columbus or Detroit on a weekend on the next leg of the tour.  Would love to see them live again.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.