Author Topic: PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS - Boegehold / Keegan / Leonard / Meros  (Read 24042 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS - Boegehold / Keegan / Leonard / Meros NEW BAND
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2023, 10:47:07 PM »
https://youtu.be/h9NPrwfwK4w?si=w8jKrS9OrZKehBkx

"Somewhere North Of Nowhere" is out now for time zones in Sept 15th. Giving this my one pre-release listen. So far so good, very P-SA, which is to say, excellent as expected.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: September 19, 2023, 08:57:30 AM »
The upcoming album is also available for REVIEW. And there's a chance to interview the band members, any takers?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2023, 06:35:49 AM »
Guys, I'll be interviewing Ted Leonard on October 3rd, if you have questions for him post those below.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2023, 07:13:42 AM »
Guys, I'll be interviewing Ted Leonard on October 3rd, if you have questions for him post those below.

Anything about SB still being around? :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #214 on: September 24, 2023, 07:31:29 AM »

Same question, but for Enchant instead of Spock's Beard.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2023, 08:19:29 AM »
I really thought Enchant had been gearing up to release something new a few years ago that even included a 20 minute epic called Beauty & Wonder or something like that, but then nothing since. I’m thinking the guys all moved on and with Ted moving to the east coast, it’s unlikely they’ll ever get together again.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2023, 10:08:51 AM »
Is there a conscious decision to write and perform shorter songs for P-SA, and how challenging is that compared to the usual prog epics?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #217 on: September 24, 2023, 11:43:08 AM »
I really thought Enchant had been gearing up to release something new a few years ago that even included a 20 minute epic called Beauty & Wonder or something like that, but then nothing since. I’m thinking the guys all moved on and with Ted moving to the east coast, it’s unlikely they’ll ever get together again.

IIRC, the title "Beauty And Sadness" was the title for the album, but maybe it was also the epic on it as well. It's been floating around since before the pandemic I think, probably in 2018.

EDIT - Here's the Enchant thread where it was brought up - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52409.msg2437561#msg2437561

Is there a conscious decision to write and perform shorter songs for P-SA, and how challenging is that compared to the usual prog epics?

Looking at the track lengths of the songs from the upcoming album, looks like four of the ten songs are over 6.5 minutes long, which doesn't exactly scream "short" to me. From their first three albums' 25 songs, almost half are around or under 5 minutes long, so they've definitely had quite a lot of shorter songs. I think for them, they just write what feels best for the song, and if that happens to be 3 minutes or 12, it's what they write. I think I've seen John talk about song lengths before, both with SB and P-SA, and he has said something to that effect.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 12:49:58 PM by The Letter M »

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2023, 10:53:57 AM »

-Marc.

Same question, for both! ;)
Even more for Enchant, that is so quiet for a long time now.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online HOF

« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2023, 11:51:18 AM »

-Marc.

Same question, for both! ;)
Even more for Enchant, that is so quiet for a long time now.

Enchant already had an 11 year hiatus between their last two albums, and we’re only 9 years out from the last one. But it does seem that unless Doug gets motivated to do something new that they are probably done at this point.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2023, 02:23:47 AM »
I don't even remember Bulletproof from Noise floor. It must have been a bonus track.

It was, on the second Cutting Room Floor disc. The band name derives from a lyric in the song.

Offline DTA

« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2023, 07:50:48 AM »

IIRC, the title "Beauty And Sadness" was the title for the album, but maybe it was also the epic on it as well. It's been floating around since before the pandemic I think, probably in 2018.

EDIT - Here's the Enchant thread where it was brought up - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52409.msg2437561#msg2437561

Right, Beauty And Sadness. I definitely remember that being the name of an epic, possibly info given by Doug via a facebook or something. They seemed to be pretty far along with it, so I'm wondering why it just turned to nothing. All the guys seem busy with their personal lives now so I'm guessing it's just over.

Online HOF

« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2023, 08:16:12 AM »
I don't even remember Bulletproof from Noise floor. It must have been a bonus track.

It was, on the second Cutting Room Floor disc. The band name derives from a lyric in the song.

It might be the best song on the album even. Loved that one. Some very curious choices to leave some of the bonus disc tracks off the main album. I just view the whole thing as one album personally.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2023, 07:19:17 AM »
Tonite by 7 pm EST I'll be interviewing Ted, if you guys have more questions, write them below.

Thanks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: October 03, 2023, 04:06:15 PM »
Last minute idea, I am thinking to livestream the interview and get questions LIVE. Would you be up for it?

Offline gzarruk

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DTA

« Reply #227 on: October 04, 2023, 04:24:46 PM »
Great interviews! I can feel Ted’s sadness through this though. Even myself, all the bands I loved as a kid/teenager feel like they’re on the way out and I haven’t really found many newer bands to take their place. Glad to hear PSA is still productive - I’m not the biggest fan but I think I’ll check out their stuff anyway just to support the guys.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: October 04, 2023, 06:00:05 PM »
Thank you guys. Ted appeared visibly saddened when discussing SB's situation. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to upload the video due to technical issues – a power outage occurred, and my wife and kids were using their cellphones at the time to light my face.

On a positive note, my eldest son, who is a big fan of Transatlantic, had the opportunity to meet Ted. He expressed his admiration and mentioned that "Black as the Sky" is his favorite song, even singing Ted's part from the song. Ted was pleasantly surprised and remarked that my son might be his youngest fan. He also mentioned that my son was the first to express love for the section he wrote, which isn't in the studio version of the album.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #229 on: October 04, 2023, 07:31:42 PM »
Excellent interview, MinistroRaven and cool story with your son!
Sadly we didn't get good news from SB neither Enchant, but it is what it is.
But... really looking foward the new Pattern Seeking Animals! :metal
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #230 on: October 06, 2023, 08:18:12 AM »
Pattern-Seeking Animals (P-SA) are set to release their 4th studio album Spooky Action at a Distance, later this month on October 27th. 
Today, the band is pleased to share the new single “Underneath the Orphan Moon,” a somber ballad that deals with a teenage girl leaving a bad situation. 

Watch the video directed by Stuart Wahlin here:
https://youtu.be/AcD80FdpP7g?si=5vhdlfbHa5IqwSdN

John Boegehold had this to say about the song: “Underneath the Orphan Moon is a bit of a departure for us stylistically but still fits in quite nicely with the other songs on the album.”

Stream the singles and pre-order “Spooky Action at a Distance” here:
https://patternseekinganimals.lnk.to/SpookyActionAtADistance

Haven't heard it yet, but my excitement for this album keeps growing now that we're in October.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2023, 06:25:38 PM »
I got my copy of SAAD yesterday and have given it one sleepy spin, and some this morning before work. So far, I'm *really* digging this one too. P-SA seem to be a band that can balance quantity AND quality as they've gone on with their fourth album since July 2019.

The updated version of "Bulletproof" is different enough from the SB version that it now feels closer in line with what P-SA has been over the course of their discography. Funny how the song that birthed the name of the band is now on their FOURTH studio album.  :lol

I'll definitely be spinning this one as much as I can over the next week or so, though I am swamped with work this weekend, so I might not get to a solid listen until Sunday or so, but I definitely need to make time to listen to this in full with headphones on.

-Marc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2023, 02:54:22 PM »
My 2 disc copy arrived today. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have listened to the last one yet. Guess I'll get around to them eventually.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Mladen

« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2023, 05:22:21 AM »
I'm not really feeling this one. For an hour long album, it's a bit samey. A lot of it reminds me of the stuff the band had already done, not to mention that it's not nearly as catchy and adventurous melodically to my ears. Also, the epic centerpiece is unfortunately my least favorite song on it, which is a shame.

It's not bad by any means. But the previous three albums were much better and had higher highs by a lot. Maybe it's a grower, though, we'll see.

Offline gzarruk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS - Boegehold / Keegan / Leonard / Meros
« Reply #235 on: November 10, 2023, 07:49:14 AM »
Removed "NEW BAND" from the thread title for accuracy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2023, 08:47:32 AM »
I'm not really feeling this one. For an hour long album, it's a bit samey. A lot of it reminds me of the stuff the band had already done, not to mention that it's not nearly as catchy and adventurous melodically to my ears. Also, the epic centerpiece is unfortunately my least favorite song on it, which is a shame.

It's not bad by any means. But the previous three albums were much better and had higher highs by a lot. Maybe it's a grower, though, we'll see.

This is where I'm at at the moment. Nothing is bad but nothing is standing out and nothing sticks so far. Hopefully it's a grower.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #237 on: December 20, 2023, 07:07:23 PM »
We were back at Woodcliff Studio yesterday (seems like we never left) recording drums for three new songs for P-SA5.

https://www.facebook.com/541388944/posts/pfbid02rCiUn8rJG9KBRk1q5d1TduwWVgch6aCNwHNQCaarzDFJbDBcuMHwocCeSjcLh52Kl/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Looks like John and the boys are back at work for P-SA's fifth studio album!

-Marc.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2023, 09:24:18 AM »
Still digesting the 4th record. It's better than my initial impression, I like He Once Was, Underneath The Orphan Moon and Somewhere North Of Nowhere best. Bulletprof is another good song, but it's not that different from the Spock's Beard version, I wonder why they felt the need to record it again.

But all in all this record ranks 3rd or 4th, not sure yet.

Not sure what to think if they are already recording the next one. Seems to me that every song John Boegehold writes gets recorded. Maybe it would be better to write some more and then chose the best. I'm all for quality over quantity.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2023, 11:25:30 AM »
Still digesting the 4th record. It's better than my initial impression, I like He Once Was, Underneath The Orphan Moon and Somewhere North Of Nowhere best. Bulletprof is another good song, but it's not that different from the Spock's Beard version, I wonder why they felt the need to record it again.

But all in all this record ranks 3rd or 4th, not sure yet.

I've spun it several more times since release and quite enjoy it. It's hard to rank these albums after awhile because they've all come out in such short time from each other that after awhile, they start to blend together, for better or worse. At least the band has a fairly consistent sound and style that is recognizable and not a straight rip-off of Spock's Beard, though there are still some Beard-isms here and there, which seems unavoidable. I still like their second album the most, but this might tie for 2nd with the third album, with their debut sitting at the bottom, but by no means is it a BAD album, just my least favorite over-all.

Not sure what to think if they are already recording the next one. Seems to me that every song John Boegehold writes gets recorded. Maybe it would be better to write some more and then chose the best. I'm all for quality over quantity.

Well it's telling that their last two albums have had "bonus tracks" tacked on the end, so it really does seem like John is releasing almost every song he deems fit to record for P-SA. It should be reiterated that this band began as an outlet for John's proggier music, and that from the outset, it was going to be a yearly endeavor. With four albums in about four years, he shows no signs of slowing, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. So far, the songs and albums have all been quite enjoyable, IMO, so I'm not going to turn away from more P-SA, but I hope the quality is about the same going forward. So far, they're all at least 7/10 rated for me, with the debut being around a 7/10 but the rest at least an 8 or 9, if I had to put rating on them. And in the absence of new Spock's Beard material, this is the best way to get new prog rock from Ted and Dave, who is one of the most underrated bassists in prog rock (still!).

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2023, 12:27:34 PM »
Bulletprof is another good song, but it's not that different from the Spock's Beard version, I wonder why they felt the need to record it again.

Because the SB version is effectively a demo off the cutting room floor.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2023, 04:55:18 AM »
Bulletprof is another good song, but it's not that different from the Spock's Beard version, I wonder why they felt the need to record it again.

Because the SB version is effectively a demo off the cutting room floor.

Forgot that it was on the bonus disc, although I think that 99% of those who bought that record bought the 2 disc edition and the rest listenened to it on spotify.  ;)

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #242 on: December 22, 2023, 05:04:40 AM »
I've spun it several more times since release and quite enjoy it. It's hard to rank these albums after awhile because they've all come out in such short time from each other that after awhile, they start to blend together, for better or worse. At least the band has a fairly consistent sound and style that is recognizable and not a straight rip-off of Spock's Beard, though there are still some Beard-isms here and there, which seems unavoidable. I still like their second album the most, but this might tie for 2nd with the third album, with their debut sitting at the bottom, but by no means is it a BAD album, just my least favorite over-all.

This is definitely a thing. I listened to the live tracks on the new record and while I knew them all, I couldn't tell you which record they came from without looking it up.

I know that John set out with the mindset to release an album every year, but maybe, instead of releasing a bunch of 7/10 records, write some more songs, let them grow, and then choose the best of them and release an 9/10 or even a 10/10 record, even if it takes two years.

And yes, Dave Meros is the man  :metal

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #243 on: December 22, 2023, 06:29:15 AM »
There was no one-disc version. InsideOut had this weird phase in the immediate aftermath of the Sony acquisition of including "bonus discs" on most of their major releases but that was the standard issue. No idea what the business reasoning behind it was but there it was.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #244 on: December 22, 2023, 09:00:06 AM »
Okay, I didn't know that. I always assumed, if there is a two disc version with demos on the second disc, then there is a standard one disc version also.