Author Topic: PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS - Boegehold / Keegan / Leonard / Meros  (Read 24017 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS - Boegehold / Keegan / Leonard / Meros NEW BAND
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2022, 09:11:29 AM »
Very nice song, laid back groove with some powerful vocals from Ted. Looking forward to this one very much, one of my most anticipated releases of 2022!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2022, 07:27:09 AM »
Yeah, this song was quite good.  Looking forward to the album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2022, 12:55:54 PM »
That song sounds great to my ears!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2022, 04:31:19 PM »
https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/pattern-seeking-animals-only-passing-through/

A new review of the upcoming album! Only 17 days to go! Cannot wait!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2022, 09:50:45 AM »
Got my shipping notification from LaserCD earlier this morning! Cannot wait to get this album. I haven't listened to the pre-release singles more than once, so I'm going into this one fairly blind. I spun Spock's Beard's Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep earlier this morning as I ramp up to listening to PSA stuff later this week. The run of SB albums with Ted, and the first two PSA albums, are all great stuff, and from the few reviews I've read on Only Passing Through, I'm getting more excited to hear it!

-Marc.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2022, 10:45:55 AM »
I have avoided the singles so far cause I'm waiting for the album. If it's anything like the last one quality wise I would be more than happy.

PSA is the closest thing to Spock's Beard without being the Beard itself and that's a good thing as it seems there's no new SB record in the pipeline.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2022, 01:45:30 PM »
My copy of OPT has been delivered from Laser CD, but unfortunately, I am stuck at work til at least 8pm tonight, so I can't listen to it for at least another 4-5 hours.

EDIT: Been home for a few hours now and I'm currently on my third spin of the album, and I've gotta say - first impressions are REALLY positive. This album has more of what I love about their first two albums, and then some! There's a lot of fun twists and turns in the music that I wasn't expecting, but everything just seems to fit, both within each song, and as an album on the whole. Definitely gonna take some time to let all the songs sink in, but I think I may like it more than Prehensile Tales but just a little bit, though it is too soon to tell.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 09:10:11 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2022, 12:30:13 AM »
On my first listen, I was stunned by how complex and wild this album is. The band innitially appeared to be a more simplified, catchier version of The Oblivion particle or Noise floor, being more into the infectious melodies and groove with their first two releases, but this album is a prog onslaught. It could be a grower, though.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2022, 08:03:11 AM »
Have checked only the first half of the album so far, but I agree this might the best of the 3 already! Everything is dialed just right and the performances are :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2022, 10:10:43 AM »
I had one listen in the background while working. Can't say much, but it sounded good.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2022, 11:48:13 AM »
I was indifferent towards the first album and I thought the second better, but still a bit disappointing, as a fan of SB's Nick and Ted eras. But my first impression about this new one is that it is a really strong album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2022, 07:06:38 PM »
As I make my way through my fourth or fifth spin of the whole album, and this time with headphones on again, I've got to give a special shout-out to Dave Meros and his killer bass playing on this album. He really stands-out on this one and in SO many good ways.

Also, the great use of brass, strings, and other non-rock instruments is really well executed on this album. They really help set this band apart from Spock's Beard, giving the band its own identity separate from the band they're probably more well-known for. The progression of these three albums is very apparent and they're really settling into their own sound really well.

"Time Has A Way" has been a stand-out for me so far, but it's still quite early on and I haven't really fully connected with every song yet, despite realllllly enjoying each one. I will say I love the vibe of "Just Another Day At The Beach" (the second bonus track), as it has a fun, quirky side to it that songs from their first two albums kind of have.

Over-all, this one is a STRONG contender for AOTY for me, right up there with BBT's Welcome To The Planet, but I still have releases from Porcupine Tree and The Tangent coming up this summer, so who knows where these first-half-of-the-year albums will land when New Years reaches us in nine months!

I'm eager to see which songs from their three albums they will play live this spring, and if they're planing to put out a live album! With three albums' worth of material to start off touring with, they certainly don't need to resort to covers, and I hope they don't. Their material is strong enough to fill out a whole 2-2.5 hour concert considering they have over 173 minutes of music already! They've got one of the best Debut-To-Third album runs I've heard in recent years, and I cannot wait to hear what they put out next (especially if they continue making music almost every year as originally planned).

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2022, 11:03:00 PM »
After a week of listening to Only Passing Through, I have really grown to love it. I'd say it ties with Prehensile Tales, but that could change as time goes on. I've really been enjoying hearing the progression of the band across their first three albums. I've been playing a playlist of all three in my phone pretty much non-stop for the last few days.

As much as I love the Ted-era SB albums, I think if I had to choose between those 3 SB albums or the first three P-SA albums, I might choose the latter. The music just feels more adventurous and exciting, and the sound pallette is a bit more diverse, employing the use of brass and string instruments integral to many songs.

John said in an interview that their live set will consist of fairly equal portions of all 3 albums, and a recent rehearsal video showed them practicing "I Can't Stay Here Anymore" from OPT, and I think Ted said he can't wait to play "Soon But Not Today", so I think we can expect at least those two songs to be played live.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 09:44:01 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2022, 12:14:44 AM »
Much ado and Time has a way are my favorites, with Everdark mountain also being a grower. Most of the remaining songs are also pretty good, but I have a feeling that the first two albums were catchier. This one might be my least favorite of the three, but I do like it.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2022, 01:51:42 AM »
After a few listens I would say it's a very good effort, but I'm not sure yet just how good it is. As of now I think it's better than the first one, but not as good as Prehensile tales.

As much as I love the Ted-era SB albums, I think if I had to choose between those 3 SB albums or the first three P-SA albums, I might choose the latter. The music just feels more adventurous and exciting, and the sound pallette is a bit more diverse, employing the use of brass and string instruments integral to many songs.

None of these records can touch Brief Nocturnes imo, which is probably my third favorite SB record of all eras, but they could be better than TOP and are certainly better than Noise Floor.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2022, 05:10:34 AM »
An ex DTF'er is playing with PSA live. Let's see if anyone can name him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2022, 05:13:37 AM »

Nicky Spanjaards?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2022, 06:02:54 AM »
Nope. Lol. He is awesome.  Plays in a Styx tribute band and now is playing with PSA as a touring member.

TheAtliator is his name.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mladen

« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2022, 06:19:32 AM »

Nicky Spanjaards?
It's been years since I'd last heard that name.  :o

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2022, 07:30:13 AM »

Nicky Spanjaards?
It's been years since I'd last heard that name.  :o

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2022, 08:47:57 PM »
The band played their first live show today, but I haven't been able to find the setlist yet :sad:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2022, 11:52:58 PM »
The band played their first live show today, but I haven't been able to find the setlist yet :sad:

https://www.facebook.com/fernandoperdomo/videos/867469444060504/

Thus clip, recorded from the side of the stage, shows them playing "Why Don't We Run" followed by "Here With You With Me". Rehearsal footage also showed them practicing "I Can't Stay Here Anymore", so that's at least 3 songs they played live.

Couldn't find any show reviews or set lists posted anywhere. Would love to know what else they played! Also props to Ted Leonard for jumping between Transatlantic shows to go down to RoSfest for P-SA's first gig!

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2022, 03:43:43 AM »
Ted's the man.  :tup

I'd love to see the whole set list. Also, the live band has two keyboard players, yet neither of them is Joe Boegehold. Does Joe not want to perform live?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2022, 04:05:12 AM »
An old DTF'er is playing keyboards for them live. TheAtliator.  Dennis Atlas is his name.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2022, 05:41:52 AM »
Ted's the man.  :tup

I'd love to see the whole set list. Also, the live band has two keyboard players, yet neither of them is Joe Boegehold. Does Joe not want to perform live?

John*

Offline Mladen

« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2022, 06:31:02 AM »
That's what I get for being confident about his first name and only checking the correct spelling on his surname.  ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2022, 08:43:18 AM »
John stated a couple years ago that when the band takes the stage he would not join them. I believe he's explained it in interviews, mostly saying that while he can write fairly complex keyboard parts, he does so piecemeal and would find it difficult to pull off all those parts together in a live situation. The two live players offer their skills to cover all the extra key and guitar parts that Ted cannot cover himself.

The clip I've seen sounds really good though, so going live with five players is the best choice for P-SA.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2022, 02:01:30 PM »
Just got replied to by Dave Meros regarding what they played at RoSFest.

I Can't Stay Here Anymore
Orphans Of The Universe
Everdark Mountain
The Same Mistakes Again
Elegant Vampires
Soon But Not Today
Time Has A Way 
Rock, Paper, Scissors
Said The Stranger
Why Don't We Run
Here With You With Me
(also on set list but not played because we were short on time was No Burden Left To Carry)

Six songs from the newest album, plus 3 from Prehensile Tales and just 2 from the debut, although it would've been 3. A fairly good mix of material but I'm sad they didn't bust out "No Lands Man", one of my favorites from the debut.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:56:30 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2022, 05:10:48 PM »
An old DTF'er is playing keyboards for them live. TheAtliator.  Dennis Atlas is his name.

I talked with Dennis after the show, but did not realize he was a prior member here. I will have to mention that on the cruise!

Was the most excited for this out of everything at RoSfest and the show was fantastic. Moved from my sixth row seat to an open front row spot prior to their start and was rewarded with a callout from Ted before they even started playing. :lol

Ted, Jimmy, and Dave were as tight as you might expect. I feel like Jimmy got to sing every bit as much as he wanted while Dave enjoyed having no mic in front of him and Ted loved being just a guitarist/singer. Seemed like they were Spock's as they would like to be. Dennis absolutely crushed his parts and the other guy, who's name I'm forgetting right now, probably had the most little issues of anyone, but given his age, the fact that he played with a different band in Orlando the night before, and the half dozen different instruments he played was still insane.

And yeah, given this is all but Boegehold's band from a songwriting perspective the safe assumption is now he has no desire to perform live.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2022, 09:30:07 PM »
Just got replied to by Dave Meros regarding g what they played at RoSFest.

Orphans Of The Universe
Everdark Mountain
The Same Mistakes Again
Elegant Vampires
Soon But Not Today
Time Has A Way 
Rock, Paper, Scissors
Said The Stranger
Why Don't We Run
Here With You With Me
(also on set list but not played because we were short on time was No Burden Left To Carry)

Six songs from the newest album, plus 3 from Prehensile Tales and just 2 from the debut, although it would've been 3. A fairly good mix of material but I'm sad they didn't bust out "No Lands Man", one of my favorites from the debut.

-Marc.

Nice!  :tup

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2022, 02:51:54 AM »
Very good setlist, would have liked it if they had played Here In My Autumn, but then I wasn't there, so I couldn't have heard it anyway.  ;)

Offline The Letter M

Just got replied to by Dave Meros regarding what they played at RoSFest.

Orphans Of The Universe
Everdark Mountain
The Same Mistakes Again
Elegant Vampires
Soon But Not Today
Time Has A Way 
Rock, Paper, Scissors
Said The Stranger
Why Don't We Run
Here With You With Me

-Marc.

Here's the set from the band's first show on CTTE:

No Burden Left To Carry
Why Don't We Run
Soon But Not Today
Time Has A Way 
Said The Stranger
Here With You With Me

A bit over an hour of music, not too bad!

That leaves the following five songs they hadn't played yet from their RosFest concert, which only adds up to about half an hour of music, so I wonder if they have an hour half hour of songs to play!

Orphans Of The Universe
Everdark Mountain
The Same Mistakes Again
Elegant Vampires
Rock, Paper, Scissors

EDIT - just noticed that Jimmy said their 2nd show would be a little different, so I think they'll just swap out a few songs from the first show with the five above.

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
FWIW in talking with Ted I don't think we'll see every song we saw at RoSfest. He talked about streamlining things down to the material they thought worked live the best.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nick, you talk to Dennis yet?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Nick, you talk to Dennis yet?

I did! Got to talk about the forum for a bit. It's cool to see how absolutely excited he is about all things cruise and music.