Author Topic: PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS - Boegehold / Keegan / Leonard / Meros  (Read 23400 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS - Boegehold / Keegan / Leonard / Meros NEW BAND
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2021, 11:02:27 AM »
If you decide to check out both albums chronologically, don't give up on them if the first one doesn't click right away. It didn't for me until after the second album came out, which I instantly loved.

Yep, this so much. Thought the first one was boring, loved the second one, went back to the first and it grew on me. But the second one is definitely better.

Hopefully the third one will also be good.

It's a bit comforting to know that I wasn't the only one who had this same experience. I couldn't believe how much the debut grew on me after the second album came out. I feel like I bought the first album and listened to it so casually that I was almost dismissive of it, not giving it a fair chance. Then again, a lot of great music came out in 2019, so it might have just fallen to the wayside during it's release window for me.

As for the third album, from the in-the-studio bits that John and other band members have posted on Facebook, the little tidbits I've heard sound great already, very much in the vein of the second album, but if they try new ideas, sounds, or influences, I wouldn't be surprised. There's a bit of a change you can hear between the first and second album, so if anything new pops up in the third, as long as it's implemented well, I'll probably dig it. Given how much I loved Prehensile Tales, their next album is easily one of my most anticipated albums of 2021!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2021, 11:20:22 AM »
I actually remember giving up on my first listen of the debut two songs in. Shows how much I cared, but I better fix that.  ;D

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2021, 02:20:09 AM »
I have to say the two Pattern-Seeking Animals have made me re-appreciate Ted Leonard's vocals. I've enjoyed his singing since I first heard him on BN&DS (Spock's). I think the subsequent two SB albums left me a bit underwhelmed, as much as I enjoy them when I listen, so I kind of went off Ted for a bit. But P-SA has kind of breathed new life into the musicians involved.

Also, on the first album, I'm realizing now that I initially had the same problem with grasping the structure of No Burden Left to Carry as I had way back when with Dream Theater's Scarred. And in some instances, they are broadly similar structurally, in that you have to recognize the opening section as a "prologue" before the main body of the song kicks in about 2-3 minutes in.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2021, 05:30:13 AM »
I have finally dived into Prehensile tales. Here in my autumn and Why don't we run are fantastic! There are some great bits throughout Lifeboat as well. A good chunk of the album reminds me of The Oblivion particle, which isn't that odd.

I will probably move onto the debut this weekend. It would be amazing if the third record came out this year and they surpassed Prehensile tales.  :tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2021, 09:29:27 AM »
I have finally dived into Prehensile tales. Here in my autumn and Why don't we run are fantastic! There are some great bits throughout Lifeboat as well. A good chunk of the album reminds me of The Oblivion particle, which isn't that odd.

I will probably move onto the debut this weekend. It would be amazing if the third record came out this year and they surpassed Prehensile tales.  :tup

It sounds like The Oblivion Particle because both were written by the same dude.

Kind of like how Neal Morse and Transatlantic often sound like the same band. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2021, 09:51:34 AM »

It sounds like The Oblivion Particle because both were written by the same dude.

Kind of like how Neal Morse and Transatlantic often sound like the same band.

Also might have something to do with Jimmy’s drumming, which is pretty distinctive. He’s a great drummer, but you could really tell the difference in feel between him on The Oblivion Particle and NDV on Noise Floor.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2021, 11:52:17 AM »
True dat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »
Exactly. That's why I say it isn't that odd.  ;D

Online The Letter M

« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2021, 12:44:24 PM »
An update from P-SA just posted on Facebook

Big news! We’ll be taking to the waves and playing live on the next Cruise To The Edge with a lot of great artists, May 2-7, 2022. Looking forward to seeing everyone there! Reservations will be available starting Wednesday, June 9 at www.cruisetotheedge.com

We’re also working on some other live shows around then and will let you know as soon as those are confirmed.

On the studio front, we’re in the process of finishing up our third album, which is scheduled for release in early 2022. More updates on that in the near future.

Looks like the wait for the third album will be a little longer. Ah well, I guess it would've been too much to hope for 3 albums in 3 consecutive years! Well, either way, they'll have plenty of material to choose from for their first live shows!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline roa71

« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2021, 01:31:25 PM »
Yeah, just saw they are in the new lineup.  They will have 3 albums under their belt by that point.

Some other great bands just announced as well for the cruise including Transatlantic, Haken, Riverside, Pain of Salvation, Headspace, King's X, District 97, Marillion among others.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2021, 09:21:36 AM »
An update from P-SA just posted on Facebook

Big news! We’ll be taking to the waves and playing live on the next Cruise To The Edge with a lot of great artists, May 2-7, 2022. Looking forward to seeing everyone there! Reservations will be available starting Wednesday, June 9 at www.cruisetotheedge.com

We’re also working on some other live shows around then and will let you know as soon as those are confirmed.

On the studio front, we’re in the process of finishing up our third album, which is scheduled for release in early 2022. More updates on that in the near future.

Looks like the wait for the third album will be a little longer. Ah well, I guess it would've been too much to hope for 3 albums in 3 consecutive years! Well, either way, they'll have plenty of material to choose from for their first live shows!

-Marc.

Wonder how many of these bands will use this as a springboard for a US Tour.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2021, 12:01:21 PM »
I wonder how many of these artists will use this as a springboard for new studio material. Moon Safari, I'm looking at you specifically.

Offline HOF

« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2021, 01:04:44 PM »
I wonder how many of these artists will use this as a springboard for new studio material. Moon Safari, I'm looking at you specifically.

It’s well past time for them, but how many cruises have they been a part of since the last album now?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2021, 05:49:24 PM »
Jimmy posted this 3 days ago on Facebook but it just now showed up in my news feed:

Well ... finally! Firstly, it's so great to be back on the cruise and especially with Pattern-Seeking Animals. We will have completed our 3rd album by the time the Cruise leaves but we have yet to be able to play live. I can't wait to play it. As John won't be playing live we will augment the band with a couple friends. Both guys will play keys and guitars as well as sing. Dennis Atlas and Walter Ino (Walter Ino Music). Both are exceptional players and great friends. If you aren't familiar with them, check them out.

Secondly, so many friends. As I scan the line-up I'm honored to be friends with the majority of the lineup so it will be a big family cruise. I will certainly be in the venues when not on stage. I mean, Protocol!!! Otmaro Ruiz is the keyboard player. We've been friends for over 30 years. He's gonna blow your minds!!!

This is gonna be a great cruise!!!

Looks like John will be sitting this one out, but they'll have two players to help fill out the sound between Jimmy, Ted and Dave it seems. I wonder if that was always going to be the plan for live PSA shows? Does John not play live, sort of like Arjen (mostly) doesn't play Ayreon songs live?

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2021, 01:00:49 AM »
I've been wondering about that as well.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2021, 05:22:31 PM »
John just shared a new video and update:

"Yesterday at The Mouse House tracking drums with Jimmy Keegan and Rich Mouser for the 3rd Pattern-Seeking Animals album. Drums are done, an excellent job as always! We’ll be finishing up the rest of the parts and mixing over the next couple of months for a release in 2022. More details soon."

https://www.facebook.com/541388944/posts/10159514946568945/

The clip sounds good, Jimmy is killing it as usual! Their third album is probably my most anticipated album of 2022!

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2021, 08:17:08 PM »
It's been a few months, but John posted on Facebook earlier today, a new video of him at the Mouse House, where he and Rich finally finished the mixes on P-SA3, and are now in the mastering stage.

If I had to guess, the album will come out in March and we will get our first single after the new year, with preorder info at that time as well. The snippets John and Jimmy have shared over the last several months really have me excited!

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2021, 08:41:25 AM »
PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS, the California-based band featuring Ted Leonard (lead vocals & guitars), Jimmy Keegan (drums & vocals), Dave Meros (bass) and John Boegehold (keyboards), are pleased to announce the band’s third studio album titled Only Passing Through, to be released through InsideOutMusic on April 1st, 2022.  The album is the follow up to the critically acclaimed 2020 release Prehensile Tales.

The band check in on the new album here:
“Only Passing Through, our third album picks up where Prehensile Tales left off but soon takes several stylistic detours as it progresses. Everyone involved made this album a lot of fun to make and we're all looking forward to it to finally being heard."
John Boegehold

"This new album draws from a lot of different sources and pushes all of us to bring out our best. We all had to dig pretty deep to express out the right spirit of each song.  To call it Prog would be highly inadequate. We’re all over the map and yet, there is still a very distinct sound that threads through the whole album. I’m very proud of this record and excited for people to hear it!"
Jimmy Keegan

The album will be available for pre-order on Jan 28th, 2022

Discography
 Prehensile Tales (2020)
Pattern-Seeking Animals (2019)
PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS online:
http://PSAnimals1.com
http://Facebook.com/psanimals1
https://twitter.com/psanimals1
https://www.instagram.com/psanimals1/

Online The Letter M

« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2021, 08:55:36 AM »
PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS, the California-based band featuring Ted Leonard (lead vocals & guitars), Jimmy Keegan (drums & vocals), Dave Meros (bass) and John Boegehold (keyboards), are pleased to announce the band’s third studio album titled Only Passing Through, to be released through InsideOutMusic on April 1st, 2022.  The album is the follow up to the critically acclaimed 2020 release Prehensile Tales.

The band check in on the new album here:
“Only Passing Through, our third album picks up where Prehensile Tales left off but soon takes several stylistic detours as it progresses. Everyone involved made this album a lot of fun to make and we're all looking forward to it to finally being heard."
John Boegehold

"This new album draws from a lot of different sources and pushes all of us to bring out our best. We all had to dig pretty deep to express out the right spirit of each song.  To call it Prog would be highly inadequate. We’re all over the map and yet, there is still a very distinct sound that threads through the whole album. I’m very proud of this record and excited for people to hear it!"
Jimmy Keegan

The album will be available for pre-order on Jan 28th, 2022

Discography
 Prehensile Tales (2020)
Pattern-Seeking Animals (2019)
PATTERN-SEEKING ANIMALS online:
http://PSAnimals1.com
http://Facebook.com/psanimals1
https://twitter.com/psanimals1
https://www.instagram.com/psanimals1/

Nice! Although I couldn't find that press release anywhere online. Where'd you find it?

At any rate, it looks like I'll have my April listening sorted! Cannot wait to hear this one, definitely a highly anticipated 2022 album for me!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:19:49 AM by The Letter M »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2021, 10:06:50 AM »
Mailing list from label

Online The Letter M

« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2021, 10:19:28 AM »
Mailing list from label

Ah okay. Well the band just posted it on Facebook, along with the album cover!

-Marc.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2021, 11:20:38 AM »
If they continue where they left off, this could be a good one.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2021, 02:16:07 AM »
I got into the band just in time.  :tup

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2022, 07:39:48 AM »
First single is available now: https://open.spotify.com/album/2vP68Dxqg2tWue80ASr1HR?si=DIlRR8z0RciP8_gFYaHfBw

And via Burning Shed, tracklist and running times:

1. Everdark Mountain 2:50
2. I Can't Stay Here Anymore 6:05
3. Time Has a Way 13:15
4. Rock Paper Scissors 5:01
5. Much Ado 4:49
6. Only Passing Through 4:19
7. Said the Stranger 7:07
8. Here with You with Me 8:14

Bonus Tracks

9. I'm Not Alright 4:17
10. Just Another Day at the Beach 3:32

Album due April 1st

Online The Letter M

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2022, 08:30:46 AM »
First single is available now: https://open.spotify.com/album/2vP68Dxqg2tWue80ASr1HR?si=DIlRR8z0RciP8_gFYaHfBw

And via Burning Shed, tracklist and running times:

1. Everdark Mountain 2:50
2. I Can't Stay Here Anymore 6:05
3. Time Has a Way 13:15
4. Rock Paper Scissors 5:01
5. Much Ado 4:49
6. Only Passing Through 4:19
7. Said the Stranger 7:07
8. Here with You with Me 8:14

Bonus Tracks

9. I'm Not Alright 4:17
10. Just Another Day at the Beach 3:32

Album due April 1st

Thanks for posting that! Interesting to see two bonus tracks, especially being on the shorter side. I've yet to hear the single though as I'm currently on board the Big Big Train and their latest album, but I'll try to listen to it at some point today. I'll probably order my copy from LaserCD as I've done with the previous two.

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/only-passing-through-ltd-digipak-preorder

-Marc.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2022, 10:37:00 AM »
Today, the band are pleased to release the video for the album’s first single “I Can’t Stay Here Anymore” which you can see here:
https://youtu.be/r6CUmwJqEQM

Offline Kram

« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2022, 12:51:09 PM »
Pretty cool song!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2022, 03:47:15 AM »
I like the fact that there are more shorter songs this time around. That's where the band does its best work for me.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2022, 07:52:28 AM »
Finally listened to the new single and I quite liked it! Some very fun rhythms and meter changes in there, and Ted sounds great as usual. Everyone does, really. A strong first single! Just over 2 months til release!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2022, 09:21:52 AM »
I like the fact that there are more shorter songs this time around. That's where the band does its best work for me.

Thank you, I've been thinking the same thing! I actually don't like most of their longer songs.
any rock can be made to roll

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2022, 12:55:41 PM »
I liked the new song quite a bit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2022, 08:27:17 AM »

Lifeboat, the 17-minute track on the previous album, was the only track on there that didn't really grab me. That said, I do like the rest of their longer tracks so we'll have to see how Time Has A Way holds up.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2022, 12:05:50 PM »
A new single has been teased to drop tomorrow! Looks like it'll be the song "Rock Paper Scissors".

https://fb.watch/bua1zJOD_2/

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 03:29:11 PM by The Letter M »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2022, 03:09:59 PM »
Got the promo of the album today.
Haven't listen to it, but a friend who also got a promo told me this is probably their best album.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2022, 09:01:49 AM »
Today, the band are pleased to release the new single “Rock Paper Scissors.”  You can watch the video here:
https://youtu.be/jLVSmxiT8Co