Author Topic: Anyone encounter issues getting into Tower Theater (Upper Darby, PA)?  (Read 1456 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

My friend and I got into our seats with just about 5 minutes to spare b/c the crowd control was HORRENDOUS, as was the parking situation.  One of the main garages for the Tower Theater is accessible via left turn at an *unprotected* signal, and they didn't have anyone directing traffic there, so we were stuck for 15 minutes trying to go a couple blocks to make the turn.  Then inside the garage, it was pitch black, low ceilings, and no light.  Luckily whoever was there directed us to go to the top, which we did and parked without issue.

(Sure, we'd found a space on the street immediately before that... but the meter was coins only.  In 2019?!  Sorry, but I don't have at least 8 quarters on me at any given time to carry me through the 9 PM cutoff, when 6 PM is the norm.)

So anyway, after finally being able to park, the line to get into the venue was backed up the 2 blocks to the parking garage.  Luckily it started moving, but it and one other entrance were the only way in to the venue, where everyone was being wanded. The wands are standard procedure, I know, but for as many people as were there, the line was backed up WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too far up the street to reasonably have gotten everyone in on time, even though doors apparently opened at 7 and the show promptly started at 8. When we got in with a but more than 5 minutes to spare, the line was still backed up all the way to where we'd been.  There is no way those people didn't miss at least the 1st 15 minutes of the show.

Inside, the merch table was right at the entrance where there was already a bottleneck of people, and then getting to our seats (loge), you had to fight through the throngs of people at the bathroom and the bar.

Such a potential clusterfuck waiting to happen, so I'm curious if anyone here either knows of or themselves experienced issues getting into the venue on time due to the incredibly piss poor way everything was handled from parking to letting the crowd in.

Are concerts always such a shitshow at this place?  I only attended there b/c it's the closest stop near me on the tour.  I enjoyed the venue once I was able to sit in my seat and relax, but from about 7 PM (when we 1st got to the general area and were fighting traffic to move a block every 10 minutes) to 7:55 when we sat down, I was *not* a fan of the Tower Theater or Upper Darby.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Anyone encounter issues getting into Tower Theater (Upper Darby, PA)?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
That pretty much sums up what I experienced as well.

Tower is a great venue, but in a jammed up mess of an area. I've seen concerts there before so I knew to try and get there at least an hour early, which usually is perfect, but last night was particularly bad. They must have opened the doors at 7pm and it looked like they only had 2-3 wand people, and thus there were mile long lines of people down the block. That's the first time I've ever seen it that bad.

And the merch position was a huge traffic jam as well. The whole time I was thinking "good thing there isn't a fire"

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »
My thoughts exactly about a fire!

The wand dude was incredibly nice, so I did my best to hold in my frustration as he made the actual wand process/walking through the door as seamless as possible, but I was so afraid we were going to miss the start of the show. 

im not a huge t shirt guy, but my 1st thought was "merch after the show, gotta get to the seats!" but for some people that might have meant a sell out of the shirt size they wanted by night's end.

The venue itself was really nice, and I loved our seats (front row loge, dead center).  Site and presentation were great, and once they got the really bad mix fixed (there are other instruments besides bass guitars and bass drums, sound engineer!), it all settled into place nicely. But it was really nerve racking there for a while.

We got to the general area around 7 PM, right around the corner right before what I guess is the train station on 69th.  It took us till after 7:30 to get to the garage entrance and parked. And then the line to get in on that side was basically up to that intersection.  It moved along eventually, and we got in with minutes to spare, but I kept checking my watch every little bit we moved along the sidewalk just to see how close we were cutting it.

My friend and I drove over from Pittsburgh, so it was nice drive on a nice day, and we stayed at a hotel maybe 20 minutes away, so it all worked out really well in the end.  But we agreed that if we ever were to take in a show there again, we'd much rather spend  an hour sitting around doing nothing b/c we were early then lose 15 or 20 minutes of the show because some unforeseen circumstance popped up.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
In Chicago the line went clear around the block. We didn't realize it, but we were close to the end of the line when we walked to the front of the venue only to follow the line snaking all the way back to where we were. We got in line about 7:30. Thankfully it went fast. We skipped getting drinks or shirts. Talked to a few friends and then headed to our seats. I wasn't paying much attention and when we sat down it was past 7:50 and the show started pretty promptly at 8.

It sucks, but that's the way the world is going and personally I'm pretty thankful for the extra security.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:47:10 AM »
I haven't seen any DT shows at the venue for 12 years, but from the 3 shows that I did see there (2004, 2006, 2007), I really don't remember any specific problems like what you're mentioning, and I say that as someone who doesn't live there and really isn't familiar with the area. Perhaps I lucked out, or maybe there's been some changes to the way the venue is run now.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »
I think the main issue was having 2 separate lines for balcony and Orchestra, when both line led to the one and only entrance to the place.

Also, did anyone else noticed the technical difficulties during TSCO? for the first half of the song they had issues with the bass and keyboard.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 09:53:51 AM »
I think the main issue was having 2 separate lines for balcony and Orchestra, when both line led to the one and only entrance to the place.

Right as we got to the door (right side, coming down 69th), we heard someone mention that, but then the lady standing there immediately said, "either door will get you in, it doesn't matter."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 10:25:09 AM »
I haven't seen any DT shows at the venue for 12 years, but from the 3 shows that I did see there (2004, 2006, 2007), I really don't remember any specific problems like what you're mentioning, and I say that as someone who doesn't live there and really isn't familiar with the area. Perhaps I lucked out, or maybe there's been some changes to the way the venue is run now.

Also at that 2007 show and didn't recall an issue, but they had an opening band then.  I think a few changes, DT being the only band so everyone tries to arrive on time and heightened security in major cities (it took forever to get in at the NYC show too, but there was no issue in NJ a smaller venue not in a major city) make a difference.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 10:32:55 AM »
I've been to the Tower for DT a few times and this was the first time I saw anything like this.  I think it's the heightened security, and agree that not having an opening band contributes. 

I was at the Chicago show too but unlike Madman, I did have issues with the line moving slowly.  There were several lines; the wand guy in our line was super slow and looked at what each person had in their hands (and took a long time doing it). I made it on time, but others behind me didn't.  I also don't mind the extra security, but think they need to allow more than an hour to get everyone in if they're going to be that methodical about it.

Offline efxf

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 11:08:22 AM »
Thankfully I didn't have any issues getting in and finding my seats, but I noticed a lot of people did.  Both sets of seats on the either side of us had people in them who later on found out they were in the wrong seats.  I was in the balcony and the one couple next to me found out that they were supposed to be in the orchestra.  The usher giving them the bad news was from another venue (he was wearing The Fillmore shirt), so when the couple complained that they were directed up there, the usher explained that some of them didn't seem to know the venue that well, either, as they usually work elsewhere. 

I have never been to this venue before so I don't know if it's a common occurrence for them or not.

-Stef

Offline billn

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 12:01:57 PM »
No issues for me but I did get to the line around 6pm with a dozen or so people in front of me. Close to 7pm I could see the line way back up 69th st. The hour in line went quick as I was talking to a fan that came down from Buffalo NY. Was able to get a beer and into my seat by 6:15 so sounds like I was a lucky one.
The seats next to me were open for the first few songs so those guys were likely at the back of the line.
Right at the end of PBD I made a beeline for the mens' room as the 15 minute intermission is not enough time in that venue.
I got my shirt after the show and I believe only XXL were available which worked for me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:14:41 PM by billn »

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »
Right at the end of PBD I made a beeline for the mens' room as the 15 minute intermission is not enough time in that venue.

Yeah, shortly after intermission started, while my friend and I stayed in our seats, I heard the guy behind me mention that it was a madhouse for the bathrooms.

Offline billn

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »

Yeah, shortly after intermission started, while my friend and I stayed in our seats, I heard the guy behind me mention that it was a madhouse for the bathrooms.

Getting there early gave me too much time for a few beers. ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 12:42:38 PM »

Getting there early gave me too much time for a few beers. ;D

I brought my water bottle cocktail with me to drink on line for NYC  :biggrin: