Author Topic: Alternate versions of songs that you prefer over the regular album releases  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Haken - Nobody

I really enjoy this version way better than Somebody. The lyrics fit the softer acoustic version great and the vocals provide a nice atmosphere. Somebody has a bit too much I feel with the drums.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Steven Wilsons Don't Hate Me with Ninet Tayeb is much better than the Porcupine Tree version

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Steven Wilsons Don't Hate Me with Ninet Tayeb is much better than the Porcupine Tree version

Yessss

Also, Ninet singing Routine. That should have been the version on the album. :heart

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ozzy554

Fates Warning - Firefly. The "extended" version of the song has so much more emotion. They cut off the ending to make it a single

Fates Warning - Falling Further. For some reason, they did a short 2 minute acoustic version and put that on the album proper, instead of the full version, which is rocking. Not sure why.

Been in a Fates mood for the last couple of months after seeing them a few times, and those really stuck out to me.

I agree on Firefly. I had the extended version on my Ipod in place of the original because I love the ending section.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline MirrorMask

Piano and voice only version of Bad Romance by Lady Gaga rather than the original, dance-y version.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Piano and voice only version of Bad Romance by Lady Gaga rather than the original, dance-y version.

For me, the piano/voice version of Edge Of Glory.  Breathtaking.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
The first example I can think of is the Zephyr Mix of Depeche Mode's In Your Room - that guitar adds so much to the atmosphere of the song. I also prefer the 1992 single version of Even Flow by Pearl Jam to the Ten version, simply because it's actually in D and not a quarter step higher like on the album, which bugs me as I have perfect pitch :lol The acoustic versions of Far Away and Eternity Part III on the reissue of Anathema's Eternity (as well as the version of Angelica on Hindsight) also sound nicer to me than the album versions, because the production of the record is so muddy. Finally, there's the 2008 remake of Sonata Arctica's Wolf & Raven, which is vastly superior to the original run-of-the-mill shreddy power metal arrangement.
Porcupine Tree.  They did a remake of "She'smovedon" originally on the Lightbulb Sun album. The new version appears as a bonus track on Deadwing and it is miles better..  :tup

Really?   I mean, I knew this, but the last time I checked I couldn't tell the difference.

I’ve never understood the need for that remake. I think the original is better, also from a purely sonic standpoint.
I was reading Gavin's Rhythmic Composition book - which includes transcriptions of various PT songs for drums and his comments on them - in the library once, and it included a story regarding that remake. He said that an American radio DJ loved Shesmovedon and promised he would play the hell out of it on his station if PT re-recorded it. They did, but lo and behold, it never got any airplay.