Author Topic: Alternate versions of songs that you prefer over the regular album releases  (Read 2206 times)

Offline ozzy554

This thread is for all the alternate mixes, demos, or re-recordings that people may find better than the regular album tracks. I would like to exclude cover songs and  MOST live versions as those would be easy picks. I do count live versions that significantly change up the sound or format of the songs. Like making it acoustic, adding an orchestra, or greatly adding onto the original length of the song. Here are a couple of mine.

Candlemass - Witches (The Tony Martin Demo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RihZnl26OY I had no idea this existed or that Tony Martin was ever close to joining candlemass until recently but I really love this version of the song. I like the alternate lyrics better than the later version and Martin's vocal melodys I find more memorable and catchy than the Marcolin's take on it.

W.A.S.P - Hallowed Ground (Acoustic) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgGmnnRwUTQ This version really brings out the emotional side of Blackie's vocal range which I think is where he really shines.

Ozzy Osbourne - Mama I'm Coming Home (Demo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVohjRgNs0 I honestly could've filled this thread full of Ozzy demos. Every one of them that was released on the Prince of Darkness boxset I like more in some way than the album versions. This one in particular I think is better in every way than the version that ended up on No More Tears.

Sanctuary - Die For My Sins (demo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIIKrFvHLCA Really makes me want to hear what Chris "Zeuss" Harris could do with the actual Refuge Denied masters as this demo is far better mixed IMO than the album cut.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline DTA

I like the demo version of Megadeth’s Symphony of Destruction more simply because of the badass riff that comes after the solo that was cut in the final version.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
For some reason, the 'main' version of My Immortal on Evanescence's Fallen isn't the version where the full band comes in at the end with Ben Moody's solo. That section really pulls the whole song together, and the version without it just comes to a sort of pitiful end.

Compare:

'Main' version  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta6R6ePVG18

Full band version  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuc03k4ooU

Why the first one is the one they went with is baffling to me.

Offline PROGdrummer

Genesis' Carpet Crawlers 1999 is better than the orginal.

Its got the matured and older vocal styles of Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins trading verses with each other and harmonizing. It's beautiful.

Offline jammindude

I adore the original of Between You and Me by Marillion, but the remix version is a whole new level.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

I like the demo version of Megadeth’s Symphony of Destruction more simply because of the badass riff that comes after the solo that was cut in the final version.

As an “honorable mention”, I don’t know if I PREFER Trent Reznor’s remix of SoD, but I think I like it just as well.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
TAKE AWAY MY PAAAAAAIIIIINNNNNN

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I prefer Axl Rose's version of Black Sabbath's song "It's Alright". It's live, only Axl and the piano, the tempo is increased, and Axl sounds way better.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

Porcupine Tree.  They did a remake of "She'smovedon" originally on the Lightbulb Sun album. The new version appears as a bonus track on Deadwing and it is miles better..  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

Porcupine Tree.  They did a remake of "She'smovedon" originally on the Lightbulb Sun album. The new version appears as a bonus track on Deadwing and it is miles better..  :tup

Really?   I mean, I knew this, but the last time I checked I couldn't tell the difference.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro

Really?   I mean, I knew this, but the last time I checked I couldn't tell the difference.

I’ve never understood the need for that remake. I think the original is better, also from a purely sonic standpoint.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online SoundscapeMN

The original demo/"Please Don't Go" of A Change of Seasons I always have and likely will prefer over the EP version.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I prefer the remade version of The Polices Don't Stand so Close to me that was released in the Greatest hits album. The reggae version never made sense to me.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Architeuthis

Oh man, why didn't I think of this earlier?!?!  The live version of "Passage To Bangkok" off of Exit Stage Left absolutely slays the studio version from 2112..   :metal
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:52:24 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

The two that come to mind are both live versions (which is a little odd for me since I'm not generally a fan of live albums):

UFO's "Rock Bottom" - the Strangers in the Night version is blows away the album version.

Judas Priest's "Tyrant" - the Unleashed in the East version is considerably better than the album version (and, oddly enough, it's because of Ian Hill's bass line).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
The Buffalo Springfield have a song called "Hung Upside Down" and there's an acoustic demo version on their box set that just SLAYS. It's so good; acoustic guitar and Steven Stills' voice...

The Pearl Jam version of "Love Reign O'er Me" is breathtaking, even though the original is one of my ten favorite Who songs.

I have two versions of Whitesnake's Slide It In, and prefer the pre-Keith Olsen "British Version". 

I like the Trevor Horn version of Fly From Here (by Yes) better than the original.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
REO Speedwagon's reggae version of Keep On Loving You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5gITg5xtfY

Enjoy :JayOctavarium:

Fun fact- the is the version I know as a kid (My dad spun that greatest hits CD A LOT. First time I heard the studio version I was like "What the actual fuck?"
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline romdrums

I adore the original of Between You and Me by Marillion, but the remix version is a whole new level.

I much prefer the remix as well.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I prefer the remade version of The Polices Don't Stand so Close to me that was released in the Greatest hits album. The reggae version never made sense to me.

Good one (though I do not really enjoy either). But reggae in general never made sense to me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DTA

I’ve never understood the need for that remake. I think the original is better, also from a purely sonic standpoint.

I think the guitar solo is much better in the original too. Feels a bit more "wild" and emotive.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
I like the reworked version of Pull Me Under DT started ADTOE with.

Offline Architeuthis

There's quite a difference if you listen to each version back to back. The production sounds better on the new take, and to me the guitar solo is more defined. The drumming is also tighter with a bit more attitude. 
In other words, the old version sounds more like a demo when compared to the more polished version on Deadwing..

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I like the reworked version of Pull Me Under DT started ADTOE with.

lol here we go again :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
More DT controversy:  The "leaked" version of Octavarium had that beautiful flute solo at the end.  Doesn't matter if it was just copied and pasted from earlier in the tune (as some claimed -- I never bothered to check), I thought it was a perfect ending to a great piece of music, and was disappointed when the official version didn't have it.  Then doubly disappointed when I realized I'd deleted the leaked version when I bought the CD because I didn't think I'd need it, not realizing that they weren't the same.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Fates Warning - Firefly. The "extended" version of the song has so much more emotion. They cut off the ending to make it a single

Fates Warning - Falling Further. For some reason, they did a short 2 minute acoustic version and put that on the album proper, instead of the full version, which is rocking. Not sure why.

Been in a Fates mood for the last couple of months after seeing them a few times, and those really stuck out to me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
"A Venture" by Yes from The Yes Album.  The original is a short little song that goes into a jam at the end and fades out.  The remaster includes an alternate version which doesn't fade out; the jam goes on for a while and they end the tune properly.  I put this version on my iPod instead of the original because I like having the whole song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Same thing with "Hour of Need" by Yes from Fly From Here.  The studio version is just a short song.  The extended version includes an instrumental at the beginning and another at the end, forming a 3-part suite.  Again, this is the version on my iPod rather than the original.

Online SoundscapeMN

Porcupine Tree - Normal >>>>>> Sentimental

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Porcupine Tree - Normal >>>>>> Sentimental

I can get behind this.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

The difference is that the original on Lightbulb Sun is significantly better, in every way imaginable.

Offline Architeuthis

The difference is that the original on Lightbulb Sun is significantly better, in every way imaginable.
You're imagining things!   :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
You Or Me - am I really the first to mention this?

I know this isn't about the live vs studio debate, but Van Halen's acoustic version of Give to Live absolutely destroys Sammy's rock version.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online SoundscapeMN

while it's sort of splitting hairs, I can't deny:

Kevin Gilbert - The Puppet Suite > Kevin Gilbert - A Tired Old Man

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

I strongly disagree with this one, the original is cool, precise and on the spot (and the reggae influences are just the style Police has used often in their beginnings). The remake is washed out, lazy and Sting sounds like he's slurring because he's completely drunk.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ShadowWalker

Acoustic version of Golden Earring's "Vanilla Queen" from the live disc The Naked Truth.