Author Topic: Open Letter to the Massive Tool in the Front Row at the Beacon  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Air Weaver

Up top, you didn't ruin my show. You gave it a good shot, and while I have no doubt you have no idea you were trying to ruin my show due to your 100% inability to see anything in this world beyond yourself, I wasn't going to let your shitty attitude and behavior ruin it.

But you came close.

What kind of "fan" pays for front row seats, proclaims loudly "I was at that tour!" when James was talking about the I&W days, yet sits through 95% of the show glued to his phone either with FB open or trying to bootleg every song on video?

And what kind of "fan" gets that front row seat and leaves the theater before the 2nd set officially closed out, let alone before an encore was even in the works?

Oh don't get me wrong, I was so glad you were gone, so relieved that your negativity was out of my head space, I thank you for that part! But please, if this is your attitude, never ever ever buy a front row VIP ticket again. The theater was at sold out capacity, and I am sure every one of us would have gladly moved up 2 spots to sit just a bit closer and get two more real fans into the room.

You may have looked like one of the older people there, but your behavior was below childish, because that would be an insult to children. My 12 year old at my side got his phone out once: during set break.

You lived on it like a follower of the Kardashians. And the only reason I care is because it was in our view of the stage a lot of the time.

And I am sure that as you recount the evening, you will go into detail of the personal affront of the terrible security guy who repeatedly told you to stop video recording. My kid, that 12 year old, could hear you lying to him about only taking stills. We could see the multiple minute timer on the screen, several times. Why? It was in front of us for the WHOLE &&***** SHOW!

I ignored it as best I could. I mean, after all, we were second row, witnessing our favorite band in concert in their home town, playing their masterpiece in its entirety.

When the crowd was joined together for The Spirit Carries On, there was no way I was coming out of that moment. My kids at my side, the ones under instruction to play this song at my funeral, sharing in this gorgeous music - this was at risk of being thrown away because this was when security had finally had enough of you that they got reinforcements. I was preparing to move in place of son, in case you got physical and started throwing arms and elbows around. It didn't come to that, thankfully. But you strike me as the kind of entitled completely un-self-aware prick that would try it anyway.

So you came close, but you failed to ruin my show. We saw you, we modified our night around you, we didn't let you wreck it. Obviously since I still remember this today, I can't say we were 100% unaffected, but you just need to know that your completely miserable presence at that show could not possibly overcome the beauty that was on stage and in the crowd sharing in it in those moments.

I pity you because you will never understand it. You were clearly only there to tag people on Facebook. As interested as you were in making sure you were getting credit for being there, I figure there's a good shot you may be here. I have no idea who you are. Some of the people you tagged may be reading this. Good for you - you earned your social media points. And missed out on something beautiful.

You tried - you came close - but that Spirit Carried On, and carried us - in spite of you.

Offline EPIC Outro

Re: Open Letter to the Massive Tool in the Front Row at the Beacon
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 03:56:33 PM »

I feel your pain. I had a trio of people in front of me in Wallingford who made it hard for me and my sis to enjoy the show. I know they didn't do it maliciously, but it was still frustrating.

Glad you, like me, were determined to enjoy that show no matter what!

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 10:34:09 PM »
I feel your pain so much. Every movie experience is like this now. I used to LOVE going to the movies now I avoid it like the plague. Concerts are not much better anymore but I can’t NOT see DT. At the red bank show there were absolute aHoles next to me shouting the entire time to each other instead of listening to any of the songs . I was in the THIRD row! Luckily tonight in philly the experience was much better. Usually my concert experience is having to watch it through a 5 inch screen because the scumbag in front of me is recording every song just to never watch the videos again .

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 11:07:12 PM »
I feel your pain so much. Every movie experience is like this now. I used to LOVE going to the movies now I avoid it like the plague. Concerts are not much better anymore but I can’t NOT see DT. At the red bank show there were absolute aHoles next to me shouting the entire time to each other instead of listening to any of the songs . I was in the THIRD row! Luckily tonight in philly the experience was much better. Usually my concert experience is having to watch it through a 5 inch screen because the scumbag in front of me is recording every song just to never watch the videos again .
Hey! Nice to see you back on the forum. I remember you from the MP forums.

I agree with all that's been said about people talking during concerts and the phones. Whenever I record, I always hold it close to my chest, not above my head or out in front of me. Benefit to being 6 foot 4. There's some bands that the fans are really respectful and are actually there to see the band. Ghost is the one that comes to mind first, I've always had great experiences at their shows and people being quiet and respectful with phones. Dream Theater usual is pretty good too, every tour I've seen, people were near silent in between songs besides clapping and no conversations during songs (What could you possibly need to talk about during a loud concert!?). This tour though, I've never seen so many trips to the bar/bathroom and talking and drunkenness. It was really bad. There was this couple on the main floor to the left in Minnesota who stood through the whole damn first set when no one else was standing on their side. I think someone asked them to sit down and she yelled during James' speech before Paralyzed. The dude was completely stoned out of his mind. His dumbass stood in the aisle during the intro to Pale Blue Dot and just did slow claps. If you're reading this dude, nobody liked you.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 01:22:09 AM »
My worst gig experience was at a Blind Guardian gig in London, when I managed to get right to the front, and ended up just behind this group of people who, as far as I could tell, had been bought tickets by a friend who wanted them to come celebrate his birthday with them. They were not really looking at the stage or applauding or getting into it - they were openly disdainful of it. That shouldn't make a difference on paper, but it was like if I was watching a stand up comedian and I was the only person laughing. Half the reason to go to a gig is for the atmosphere. I'm sorry they didn't like it, but if you hate the band so much, go to the bar! Don't stink up the front row with your attitude.

My worst DT experience was at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall, a grim venue with no air conditioning or tiered seating. This means that if you are stood behind someone taller than you, you are boned.

Long story short, I was in the second row from the back, and I was stuck looking at the top half of the video screen for two hours! During the encore, people moved out into the aisle and I thought, "great, now's my chance." Nope. Some prick got his iPad out, held it above his head, and live streamed the thing to his friend, who was sat at home, smugly drinking a cocktail. How do I know his friend was sat at home smugly drinking a cocktail? Because that was *all I could see*.

I also told some guy off for loudly chatting to his friends during the quiet bit of Illumination Theory at the same gig.

The short version of this post is - I feel you, and I'm sorry!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:35:35 AM »
Me too. I experienced something similar myself fairly recently at a concert I attended (not DT though). As disrespectful as can be IMHO. What I experienced during DT is someone (who obviously was drunk or high or both) talking during The Embracing Circle. (the middle movement of Illumination Theory with the strings) Equally disrespectful IMHO.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 06:54:42 AM »
My worst DT experience was at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall, a grim venue with no air conditioning or tiered seating. This means that if you are stood behind someone taller than you, you are boned.

Funny how it goes. I was sat on the balcony for that show, almost right above JP. Had a great time (despite not liking DT12) :lol

I do feel your pain regarding people taller than you, though, and I've ranted about that several times here now. It's basically why I now prefer seated gigs. The chance of actually seeing the band I've come to see is too tempting.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gborland

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:43:13 AM »
This is why I hate all-seated shows.

Firstly, having to sit down makes it impossible to properly rock out and get some atmosphere going, and secondly, you don't get to move around if you find yourself next to an arsehole.
Graham Borland

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 08:03:11 AM »
As someone who likes to get video of bands, including DT, I wouldn't buy a front ticket and expect to do that nor want to.  These two shows I saw, I was in the last row each time and I think that's the best spot for people who want to stand, use their phone (I only use my camera, but occasionally take a pic with my phone, I'm certainly not facebooking or anything else, but I wouldn't be bothered by others doing so in the back), go to the bathroom, have a discussion, whatever.  I feel in the back youre not really bothing people, at least not as much.  I actually stood in the open space behind my seat in NY so I could stand and not bother the lady next to me who was sitting (she was clearly there with her guy who was standing).

Last tour I saw them in the 7th row and there was a lady who was similar to the OP, it was hard not to notice so it did become distracting and totally understand why that would piss someone off.  Also I was in the front row for TA tour and the person next to me complained a lot during the first set and then left at intermission.  I don't get why people spend that money to act like that, but to me, it's just their loss.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »
I don't think the sit vs stand thing will ever be solved. :)

I hate sitting at a show, but enjoy it being a seated venue to have a tiny bit of personal space and to be able to get close without having to get there super early.

At every DT show I went to prior to The Astonishing, everyone stood.  The lights went down, and people got up.  I get the sitting for TA, but even then - I was at a couple shows where the crowd stood and it was just more fun.  Since TA, there's been a show or two where everyone sat, and more where you have pockets of people sitting.  I guess I look at it this way - if a person on the floor wants to sit, so be it, but be prepared for others not doing the same.

At the show last night, pretty much everyone was standing except the first few rows from the middle to JP's side.  My row had people standing on one side of me and sitting on the other.  There was a guy a couple rows up standing, and the row behind him wasn't.  Someone yelled at him to sit, but another fan, sitting right behind him, said something like "leave him alone, that's his seat, and he's having fun. If we don't like it, we can always get up."  I thought that was a great attitude and no one said anything about it after that.

As for people recording shows - I love to watch videos of shows I was at.  But I agree it's an issue if someone is holding their phone (or certainly an iPad) over their head the whole night.  I guess in that case I'd ask them nicely to stop if I couldn't look around them.  DT doesn't seem to like it much so a reminder that security would (and has) make them delete their video might also get them to be a little more discreet.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »
Man, I agree with everything in this thread. Fortunately, the only event at this last DT show turned out to be minor. A woman in front of me was pretty drunk but not obnoxiously so. Beforehand she was making "conversation" with people around her by talking about how much she loved Dream Theater, and how good they were at their instruments, and it made her wonder how good they were in bed because they played with so much passion.

Awkward.

When the band went on she was swinging her hair, and raising her hands, and her neighbors kind of moved out of her way but she wasn't too inconsiderate of their space.  I even thought, "Man, at least she is actually into the band instead of leaving for beer every song." Then, he husband left for beer.  Then she did and was gone for several songs. Then they both did for the rest of the first set. Then they were back and the husband promptly fell asleep. After a few songs, they left.

What the fuck? I don't understand this mentality at all.

I've had many worse things happen at concerts but thankfully this was almost more entertaining than annoying.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »

At the show last night, pretty much everyone was standing except the first few rows from the middle to JP's side.

This is exactly where I was! 4th row on JP’s side! Everyone in front of me was sitting, so 5’1” me was standing and in heaven! The people behind me were grumbling that I was standing, but FU, I paid for my ticket and I’m sure as hell gonna see as best I can.

The people in the rows in front only got up for the ending of FF and PMU, but I was still partially able to see, unlike the night before at the Beacon. I was in the 7th row, but JP’s family was in front of me, with a very tall relative! 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 10:25:22 AM »

At the show last night, pretty much everyone was standing except the first few rows from the middle to JP's side.

This is exactly where I was! 4th row on JP’s side! Everyone in front of me was sitting, so 5’1” me was standing and in heaven! The people behind me were grumbling that I was standing, but FU, I paid for my ticket and I’m sure as hell gonna see as best I can.

The people in the rows in front only got up for the ending of FF and PMU, but I was still partially able to see, unlike the night before at the Beacon. I was in the 7th row, but JP’s family was in front of me, with a very tall relative!

Yeah it was weird that only that area was sitting.  But it was cool for me - it was like I was in the front row since only that one guy was standing, and I could see everything.  And yet... It was nice when everyone finally got up at the end, even though the guys in front of me were very tall.  There's just something about everyone being on their feet. 

Offline DT1138

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 05:43:56 PM »
As a person who has been seeing concerts since the 80s, I can definitely sympathize and feel the pain of all mentioned here, especially the OP.  I've seen so much poor behavior at shows over the years that I could probably write a small book.

I've been lucky at the last 4 concerts that I've been to (including DT just a few weeks ago) where everyone was very into the show, but there's always the chance you will encounter that special someone who will try and make it all about them and do their best to fuck it up for everyone. 

I'm 47 and really don't get the social media "experience" of being glued to a phone during a show.  I just can't fathom paying a lot of money only to try to film it and watch everything thru a dinky little screen when the REAL THING is literally happening (as if by magic) right in front of your very eyes.  For those of us old enough to remember "one hour photo", it reminds me of what the great George Carlin said about it:  "You just saw the fucking thing!  Doesn't anyone try to just remember anything anymore?".

I'm not against people snapping a shot here or there, but when someone is tormenting the OP with an Ipad like that it's beyond ridiculous.  While I freely admit to taking a few photos during a show, they are ultimately for me only and I try to get them done quickly out of respect for people behind me (and I try to be respectful of what the venue's security rules are also).  I don't post them online at all since I don't use Facebook, Instagram, or anything else similar (none of my friends or family care about DT, so sharing a photo is pretty much wasted for me).  Because I want to see the show itself, I take the attitude that a few shots will be great and most will look like utter crap.  The last thing I want to do is waste a whole show trying to take photos when my musical heroes are literally within my reach.  JLB was right in front of me for almost 3 hours - I was absolutely fascinated watching him sing. It was a joyous and glorious experience to see that in person and not on a TV, tablet, phone, or computer monitor.

By the way, if you think that phones/attempts at photos are not a problem at shows, all of my shots have someone in front of me holding up their phone trying to take a photo...and I was in the 3rd row at the last DT show.  Much of the photos I took in those cases were not useable and I deleted them later at home.  Some of those people never put their phones down through the whole show.  I almost feel sorry for them.  Almost. 

Sorry for the rant, but I'm glad there are others out there who want to experience the shows for what they are. 

I'm also proud of the OP for not letting it ruin their fun.   :tup :tup

May you all have wonderful concert experiences moving forward!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:53:44 PM by DT1138 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
I'm sorry but WTF are we bitching about? So some dude is on his phone and not paying attention. So what? he bought his ticket and if he wants to communicate or post to his Facebook, so fucking what. I'd rather that than have to breath in someone's cigarette smoke like the old days.

When I was a kid, I took a lot of shots at many classic 80's tours, and have posted many of them here. If I had an iPhone, I certainly would've used that.

And people talking? Really? it's a concert.

Hey, there's assholes everywhere and if someone is being a dick, that's one thing, but they can basically do whatever they want within their own space. I'd rather my kid watch someone fucking around on their phone than blowing weed in his face.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
I'm sorry but WTF are we bitching about? So some dude is on his phone and not paying attention. So what? he bought his ticket and if he wants to communicate or post to his Facebook, so fucking what. I'd rather that than have to breath in someone's cigarette smoke like the old days.

When I was a kid, I took a lot of shots at many classic 80's tours, and have posted many of them here. If I had an iPhone, I certainly would've used that.
I do agree with you on the picture/video thing for particularly one reason. People always say: "It's not like you're going to watch it later/No one cares."

That's not true. I still look back at concert videos I have from 10 years ago when I first got an iPhone. I like looking back at that stuff and I always have the memory with me, not just memory, which fades pretty damn quick. And I'm not looking at the phone when I record, I'm still watching it live. I've never been a fan of bands saying: NO VIDEO RECORDING! I bought the ticket and can film and take pictures if I want, as long as I'm not obstructing anybody. Like I said, I hold it close to me, not up in the air. If there is that rule and I try to film, just tell me to put it away. I think it's unfair to kick people out for it, unless it's a really bad case of it where the person gets rude.

And I show people that I know would be interested in seeing the concert I went to clips that I thought were cool. I don't force it down people's throats, but just showing something cool. I look forward to things like cram's concert experience videos. I think it's evident from YouTube videos that plenty of people care about seeing clips of concerts they miss or reliving a memory.

Quote from: TAC
And people talking? Really? it's a concert.
Exactly. Shut up! Why during a concert do you need to talk about your day at work. Listen to the music. As far as I'm aware, that's what most of us are there. To listen to what is happening onstage, not your boring life. Have you never experienced people talking during a concert loudly? It's annoying as hell
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »
There's nothing wrong with talking or taking pictures/videos at a show if you're not being a disrespectful jerk like the guy described by the OP. It sounds like that guy was not only obnoxious, but a constant distraction and was disrespectful to the audience/band. I think security should kick idiots like that out of shows if they don't stop after one warning.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »
Sure, if the guy is being obnoxious, fuck him. I guess I wasn't so clear on that. But I've seen many people complain about the use of phones at shows, and I have never really understood it.

As far as talking, we're not at the symphony. It's a rock concert.

Again, is some is being a douche, that's one thing. But I been to many shows where people are yapping all over the place, and I've never really let it bother me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 06:55:16 PM »
Not sure how talking is an issue. I couldn’t hear a freaking thing other than the music blasting.

Offline Air Weaver

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »
Sure, if the guy is being obnoxious, fuck him. I guess I wasn't so clear on that. But I've seen many people complain about the use of phones at shows, and I have never really understood it.

Again, is some is being a douche, that's one thing. But I been to many shows where people are yapping all over the place, and I've never really let it bother me.

It was the constant presence of this nonsense that got to me, I'm not a 100% purist on no-phones-whatsoever.

It was the relentlessness of it, and then the fact that it brought security over more than a couple times to deal with him, which looked to be about to come to a head with a physical removal during the most emotionally epic moment of the show - I'm glad that didn't end up happening but the scene was being set.

I'm not saying everyone has to enjoy the show they way I think they should. You do you, live and let live. But this freaking guy, if he was enjoying himself it was well masked.

And at the risk of sounding like a delicate fragile flower here, it's not a zero % net effect on others around you to have your phone open the whole time. The glow of a facebook home screen is significant. There is a professionally produced multi-media experience going on mere feet away, and it's being altered probably 75% of the time. End of the world? Of course not. And I'll agree, it is a far cry from having smoke in your face. It's still a bullshit way to act at a concert, especially when you're sitting in the premium seating VIP section among what I thought would be the most hardcore of fans.

I didn't bring up talking, others did, in this case this guy wasn't loud, I'll give him that. And sure I'll say something to people I'm with during a show. But there is a reasonable limit. Make it quick. No it's not the symphony, but with the increase in decibels from the artist there is a correlation in how loud people will yell at each other to be heard, so the net effect is the same: if you need to chat about everything, go somewhere else for f's sake. It IS a concert - it IS a performance. We are there for the people on stage. They are not background music at a piano bar.

I am not old enough to blame everything on the social media age, as my gen X cohorts kind of invented it, or at least the precursors. But I do think I can see a de-evolution in manners in public spaces since I've been going to shows for about 30 years now. It's as if we've forgotten that live experiences are not the same as on-demand video streaming we can hold in our lap at home. There's no pause button, there's no multi-screening, there is a one of a kind all-encompassing moment happening. And unlike the streaming video on my iPad, the artist in the same space as me can see me too, as can all the people around me. This used to be common sense, so obvious that saying it out loud should make me sound like an idiot for pointing it out. I don't think that is the case any more.

No, this is not the worst offense ever at a show. I've seen far worse and I've been physically knocked around in standing room situations and dealt with some real craziness. I've had beer spilled all over me, I've narrowly avoided being puked on, I've had clothing ruined, I've seen a lot of nonsense. I've always figured that was part of the deal when you go to see a lot of bands in venues from small bars to stadiums, or when the event is 3 days of camping and partying. I don't want to give the impression I am the uptight rep from the opera review. But whether this is reasonable or not, I have a much higher standard for the VIP section at a Dream Theater show than I do on the lawn at Slayer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »
Yeah, it's cool, man. I didn't mean to rant at YOU.  :)

Offline Air Weaver

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 07:24:26 PM »
Yeah, it's cool, man. I didn't mean to rant at YOU.  :)

Right on - I see this thread as a post-show at the bar deconstruction  - no worries.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 07:25:06 PM »
I'm in the "do what you want as long as you're not bothering someone else" camp.  If you want to have a conversation for the whole show that's fine - I just shouldn't be able to hear it. :)  Want to watch the whole show through a screen?  Go for it - just keep your phone in front of your body most of the time so it's not blocking someone else's view.

Having said that... even though I think someone has the right to do what they want, doesn't mean I won't comment on it on a forum.  :) The drunk woman Madman posted about is an example - she wasn't hurting anyone, and if she wants to leave halfway through - it's her money.  But I certainly do find it odd, and kinda funny.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »

I was at the concert Air Weaver was at and it was so loud, I couldn't really hear anyone talking. And I was having too much fun to notice what other people were doing or not doing their phones. I lucked out because no one was standing in front of me so I was able to see everything on stage. There were a couple of overly-excited fans near me including a crazy guy wearing a "Dope As Fuck" shirt but it was more funny than anything.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2019, 08:34:58 PM »
I was dead center front row in the loge last night at the Tower, and everyone around me was sitting b/c I mean, c'mon: you're in the balcony, you already have a great view, there's no reason to stand. (FYI, I chose those seats because as a 5 foot male, I don't have the luxury of just picking any old seat and still having a great time when 99.99% of everyone else is in my line of sight, and wouldn't give me the same respect they might for a woman in a similar situation.  For GA shows, I get there early enough either to be right at the stage or right at the front of the balcony standing area if there is one. So my main concern isn't rocking out, it's being able to see something, anything.)

Anyway, at the end of my row last night to the right, there was one guy who standing the entire time in his seat, and no one else around him was standing.  Not even close. So I feel really sorry for the people in the rows behind him who like me might have chosen to have the balcony seat so that they could see the stage and instead got nothing but this asshat cluelessly "rocking out" in his own little world.

Why am presenting a negative image of him?  Because regardless of what you as the "owner" of that seat think, you need to read the room and pick up on the clues.  If *NO ONE ELSE* is standing and your doing so would disrupt the equilibrium and enjoyment for others, don't take it upon yourself to act like there's no one else around you being affected by your behavior.  The whole "you're at a rock concert, so STAND UP AND ROCK OUT, MAAAAAN!" argument is so tired and played out anymore.  If no one around you is "rocking out," you can still feel the energy and get into it  by tapping your feet, drumming on your legs, whatever while you're sitting your oblivious ass down and not ruining it for everyone else around you who clearly is quite content sitting down.

There's having a good time, but then there's what this guy did, which was have a good time without respecting the obvious "norm" of the area he was in.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2019, 08:40:50 PM »
I went to Dream Theater at the Chicago Theater and the crowd was great.    Everybody stood the whole time and it seemed like everybody was into it and mesmerized by the experience.

I saw Mott the Hoople at the Chicago Theater 5 days later, Ian Hunter can still rock out even at 80!       Wow, what a different crowd,  it was a ton of old cougars getting wasted dancing and talking to each other.   People left for the bathroom every 2 songs.   

The Mott show was still great but I prefer when a crowd is all on the same page.   I don't have an issue with people filming songs, I will film a clip here or there but just don't do it the whole time or make it excessive.

As for the Sit Vs Stand thing.... I went to see ELO at the All State Arena and a crowd of people almost got into a huge fist fight over this.    This is especially going to become more and more of an issue with aging rock bands that have appeal to young people.     Most of the ELO crowd was probably in their 50's or 60's but the 25-35 year olds want to stand and dance.   

I'm 33. so I don't really care whether I sit or stand but it's important for people to be on the same page with it at each particular show.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2019, 08:45:10 PM »
it's important for people to be on the same page with it at each particular show.

This says everything I meant to say in my rant above, but much more eloquently and succinctly, hah.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 09:29:20 PM »
Serous question...

The price of a first 5 row ticket is very high now. Combine that will the cost of travel, parking , and everything else and it’s an expensive night out. More important than money is the literal once in a. Lifetime moment you are there to experience with the band. For some people it’s their first show and that’s an important one! Saturday was my 40th DT show and I realized it’s probably the last time I’ll hear a lot of that SFAM stuff which came out when I was graduating high school and was a big part of my life. Is it REALLY too much to ask for people to just have basic manners and respect for one another to the bare minimum of not ruining other people’s experience around you? I don’t care if someone takes a few photos or even records a clip of something they love. That’s fine. But it’s recording song after song with your phone in the air and talking loudly during the more quiet parts of songs just to ensure no one else around you can hear what the hell is happening that goes beyond basic respect for others time, money, and experiences.

I think the answer to my question is definitely yes, it’s too much to ask.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2019, 09:31:04 PM »
Hey! Nice to see you back on the forum. I remember you from the MP forums.

Nice to see you again too!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2019, 09:53:32 PM »
I think a good rule of thumb is that if you are filming, your camera should be in front of your face, not held over your head. So what if you can't get the perfect shot.

If you're taking a quick pic or two, by all means, hold it over your head for a few seconds to try to get a good shot. Those few seconds won't ruin my night but if a few seconds turns into a few minutes, we got a problem.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 11:41:37 PM »
Sitting vs standing..... I am 50 years old and definiteley prefer standing. Some artist can be ok to sit through though.... didn't mind soo much sitting through King Crimson.
I prefer when it's a venue that has standing room in front of the scene and seats on a balcony.

Last show I was at was The Neal Morse Band which was in a very comphy theater. Had a second row seat just infront of Neal. I sat for most of it but I couldn't sit through some songs, like The Great Adventure. Tried to get people around me to stand too but to small avail. Neal seemed really happy though and we had great interchanges with locking eyes, jumping in time etc.
Mike tried and tried to get everyone to stand and the final part of rhe show was all standing and everyone was much more into it.

Another show in a very comfy theater was The Shattered Fortress in Malmö where we had first row seats in the middle. Me and my friend stood from the get go.... that was a show that should not be seated. After 3 songs Mike came down to us and gave me and my friend a drum stich each saying
- if you stand for the first 3 songs you get treats
Then he launched into a story of how the Malmö show came about (which was a miracle) and how they had travelled for 16 hours from Paris the day before and had another 16 hours to the next show the day after. He urged everyone to stand which they did. After this it was a much more liveley concert with much more feedback to the band.

So if you are behind me at a seated rock concert..... sorry, you will get a blocked view unless you also stand. At least for parts of the show.

The artists themselves prefer standing audiences as that gives more feedback to them. I also prefer that and will try to get the rest of the audience to stand.

If no one starts.... it will never happen

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 01:02:38 AM »
After 3 songs Mike came down to us and gave me and my friend a drum stich each saying

Treats?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 01:07:13 AM »
After 3 songs Mike came down to us and gave me and my friend a drum stich each saying

Treats?

One drum stick each

I got the left one and he got the right one

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 01:13:12 AM »

Treats?

One drum stick each

I got the left one and he got the right one

I see.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 03:21:34 AM »
See, this is why I prefer general admission shows. That way FANS get there early and get to the front, A_HOLES get there late and stand at the back, and everyone else slots in depending on how long they're prepared to queue for. Ticketed shows always put real fans behind some turd like the one the OP complained about.

Porcupine Tree at the Hammersmith Odeon on The Incident tour. I have no idea what the people in front of me were expecting to see, but it was bloody obvious they'd never heard PT before and had zero interest in the music. Do what the hell you want, people, but don't spoil it for others.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:30:22 AM by The Curious Orange »
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."