Poll

Shall we have the bottom two players eliminated after round 4?

We want blood!
4 (40%)
Give peace a chance! (or at least stand still)
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 23, 2019, 12:06:28 PM

Author Topic: Ruba's Roulette II v. Final results!  (Read 38780 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Ruba's Roulette II v. Don't keep me hanging
« Reply #770 on: June 18, 2019, 09:31:10 AM »
E

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #771 on: June 18, 2019, 10:09:15 AM »
Someone should have sent "Epic" by Faith No More.  I wish I thought of that earlier (and no, I didn't groundtruth my joke with the banned list).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #772 on: June 18, 2019, 11:07:40 AM »
The Gathering - Paper Waves

You missed an A :P

Her Name is Calla - Swan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #773 on: June 18, 2019, 11:16:45 AM »
You da man!

Impression time!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #774 on: June 18, 2019, 10:51:20 PM »
Someone should have sent "Epic" by Faith No More.  I wish I thought of that earlier (and no, I didn't groundtruth my joke with the banned list).

FNM is banned, but that would've been funny.  :biggrin:

Impression time!

Probably in 3-4 hours.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #775 on: June 19, 2019, 02:18:49 AM »
It improves towards the end, but I’m not really impressed.

Man, this is intense but what’s up with that outro?

While I’m not usually too keen on this genre, this is pretty good.

That’s some great piano right there. Great chorus!

The production kinda sucks. Otherwise I pretty much like it. I’ll be probably skipping the last few minutes tbh.

Not really my thing, sorry. Don’t like the vocals.

Cheese, cheese everywhere. Also the mix is kinda LOUD (I haven’t been commenting on production before, but since some of these songs are so long, it does matter).

I know the vocalist and I’d forgotten how good he really is. Sadly, the song doesn’t feel that special.

I like the atmosphere they’re going for, but I’m not fan of this style of growls.

Bit too monotonous for my liking.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #776 on: June 19, 2019, 08:24:06 AM »
I'm not getting too many GOOD vibes from those impressions.

Mine could be any of about four or five, and only one is good (the piano and vocals comment).

Some I know DON'T fit - the production comment, the growl comment, the length comment - but...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #777 on: June 19, 2019, 08:55:19 AM »
The production kinda sucks. Otherwise I pretty much like it. I’ll be probably skipping the last few minutes tbh.
moonsorrow

I like the atmosphere they’re going for, but I’m not fan of this style of growls.
agalloch

no clue which is mine so he probably hated it

Offline Lethean

« Reply #778 on: June 19, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »
Mine's not the growl comment, not the outro one I wouldn't think, and probably also not this one:

I know the vocalist and I’d forgotten how good he really is. Sadly, the song doesn’t feel that special.

I'd be surprised if someone knew the vocalist of Vanden Plas outside of Vanden Plas. (Though it is possible...)

Otherwise, I really don't know.  I don't think it has bad production, but I don't pay attention to production...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: June 19, 2019, 09:10:44 AM »
Mine's not the growl comment, not the outro one I wouldn't think, and probably also not this one:

I'd be surprised if someone knew the vocalist of Vanden Plas outside of Vanden Plas. (Though it is possible...)

Otherwise, I really don't know.  I don't think it has bad production, but I don't pay attention to production...

I was actually thinking that was mine, frankly.   I love love love the song I sent, but I can see why - even in that band's catalogue - that song is not considered "epic".   I have a KILLER cover by a new(er) RnRHoF level band that IDOLIZES the original band, and I should have sent that.  Dammit.

I feel like TAC is an Ewok going through the forest, and I'm one of those stormtroopers that slams into a tree like a moron and let's them get away. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #780 on: June 19, 2019, 09:23:41 AM »
Did you send The Who?  Redemption did a really great cover of that song.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: June 19, 2019, 09:40:54 AM »

I did; I was thinking of Pearl Jam's cover at one of the award shows.  It's a couple years ago now, but it was so good they released it on iTunes.   Eddie sang his boobies off. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #782 on: June 19, 2019, 09:52:21 AM »

With John Bush!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #783 on: June 19, 2019, 11:05:06 AM »
Did you send The Who?

I did; I was thinking of Pearl Jam's cover at one of the award shows.  It's a couple years ago now, but it was so good they released it on iTunes.   Eddie sang his boobies off.

Too bad I can't stand Eddie Vedder's voice. :|

Redemption did a really great cover of that song.

With John Bush!! :metal

This one on the other hand sounds more interesting.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #784 on: June 19, 2019, 04:00:03 PM »

I feel like TAC is an Ewok going through the forest, and I'm one of those stormtroopers that slams into a tree like a moron and let's them get away.

Hah...not if this one is mine..

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #785 on: June 19, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »
moonsorrow
This is most likely correct. Funny thing is, as much of a stickler for good production as I am, I really enjoy the production on this Moonsorrow album. I honestly don't think it's bad. I mean, yes, it's dense at times, but it fits, and at least it isn't lo-fi black metal or brickwalled... :-\
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #786 on: June 19, 2019, 04:40:25 PM »
Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence
Vanden Plas - Beyond Daylight
Michael Kiske - Do I Remember A Life
Moonsorrow - Jotunheim
Wilderun - Ash Memory
Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
Refused - Tannhauser/Derrive
Her Name Is Calla - Swan
The Who - Love Reign O'er Me
The Gathering - Paper Waves

Cheese, cheese everywhere. Also the mix is kinda LOUD (I haven’t been commenting on production before, but since some of these songs are so long, it does matter).

Offline Ruba

« Reply #787 on: June 20, 2019, 07:47:28 AM »
I don't pay attention to production...

Usually the production isn't that important to me neither, but if you're stuck with 10+ minute song that is nigh painful to listen, it's not fun.

The loud comment was about Blind Guardian, I can tell that much. I've probably been listening to the original version for it's taken from a best of-album. There's a remastered version on Spotify and I'll be putting that on my playlist instead, hopefully that's not as overbearingly loud.

moonsorrow
This is most likely correct. Funny thing is, as much of a stickler for good production as I am, I really enjoy the production on this Moonsorrow album. I honestly don't think it's bad. I mean, yes, it's dense at times, but it fits, and at least it isn't lo-fi black metal or brickwalled... :-\

Alright, it's not as bad as I first thought. There's just quite large contrast between the acoustic intro and the point where the distortion kicks in.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #788 on: June 20, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »
I had a feeling the loud could be Blind Guardian.

To be fair, I think the production on that entire BG album SUCKS. Like, it's truly dreadful, one of the worst I've ever heard, and yet on that particular Blind Guardian song, I think it works extraordinary well. The rest of the album? Big detriment. But I could see why someone wouldn't enjoy the loudness of it. I think the remaster is just as loud, honestly. There's a re-recorded version but it's lacking that oomph that (imo) the trebley production on the original gives.

Just my two cents, looking forward to reading results on this one.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #789 on: June 20, 2019, 10:15:12 AM »

Hah...not if this one is mine..

So um yeah Ruba, it’s sure be nice for you to refute this!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #790 on: June 20, 2019, 10:26:01 AM »
Corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #791 on: June 22, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »
My body is not well.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Roulette II v. Final results!
« Reply #792 on: June 23, 2019, 01:19:39 PM »
Round 8 results

10 points: Cyril
Wilderun – Ash Memory (And So Opens the Earth/Hope and Sorrow/Bite the Wound/The Faintest Echo)

This is a four song-suite, but it feels like one consistent song. I don’t like folk metal that much, but the balance between folk music and extreme metal is pretty much perfect here. I’m not big fan of fantasy genre, but even I feel like grapping a sword and going to slay some dragons during And So Opens the Earth (even though the song has nothing to do with that). Hope and Sorrow is a beautiful acoustic piece, followed by melodic death metal of Bite the Wound. There are some repeated melodies throughout the suite, but they’re so good they bear repeating. The Faintest Echo has the climax worth this epic song, sadly it happens after the first minute and everything happening after that feels a little pointless. However, this is an engaging, badass song.

9-1 points: Stadler
The Who – Love Reign O’er Me

That chorus is f’n awesome, I love the lead guitar that descends like a pleasant summer rain. It’s so good it almost overshadows rest of the song. Roger’s performance is pretty much phenomenal and Keith lives up to his wild reputation on the drum throne.

8 points: Puppies_On_Acid
Moonsorrow – Jotunheim

The first three minutes are pure beauty. Then there’s a horrifying scream.  :lol Anyway, there’s plenty of amazing melodies. The screamed vocals are mostly good, although the clash with how beautiful this song really is. The lyrics are very beautiful and poetic (well I’m one of the few people on the forums who actually can understand them  :lol). It would be awesome to climb on a fell and blast this over the cliffs and pine trees. And yeah, since the last three minutes is mostly silence, bird song or sounds of fire, I’ve skipped them after the first listen.

7 points: senecadawg2
Agalloch – In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion

Great guitar playing, I especially love the acoustic lead in the intro. The growls are passable, pretty basic black metal shrieking, but I’m not too keen on the clean vocals either. Thankfully they pretty much nail the melancholic vibe and run with it for the whole song.

6 points: Sacul
Refused – Tannhäuser/Derivè

The intro is really promising, with a cool violin solo. I really like the verses with screamed vocals, but the quiet choruses don’t really work. At least they make the verses even punchier. Actually, the changes in dynamics are quite fun. And the outro… it’s something different. Nice contrabass.

5 points: Lethean
Vanden Plas – Beyond Daylight

I have no idea why I disliked this song so much at first. Maybe because it’s not as energetic as the others? Still not loving the vocalist, but this is some quality prog metal. I love the chorus on each listen. Sadly, while the keyboard-driven bridge starts out well enough, it drags on for too long and kills some of the song’s momentum. Thankfully it gains it back during the instrumental section. The guitar solo is blazing!

4 points: TAC
Michael Kiske – Do I Remember a Life?

OK, there was a poor choice of words in the first impression. I don’t want to downplay the song itself, the problem is just that… I don’t exactly love power ballads. As a power ballad, it’s good albeit a little formulaic and Kiske’s performance is great, no doubt. With such big choruses I’d wish there was a better climax, now it comes a little bit suddenly. I see Adrian Smith plays on this record, but sadly not on this track. I feel like this song would’ve benefited from an epic guitar solo.

3 points: Train of Naught
Her Name Is Calla – Swan

Well… most of the song is Bm chord and steady thumping percussion. I don’t mind the gloominess and the rambling vocal style is kinda cool, but still… it’s a little dull. Maybe I just should be in a certain state of mind to enjoy it. The last minute is very good though and makes me think this band might have something to offer to me after all.

2 points: Kattelox
Blind Guardian – And Then There Was Silence

Aww man… This is a good song and I’d probably want to place it higher. But it’s so bombastic with the orchestrations and layered vocals and the claustrophobic production on top… It’s just unpleasant and overbearing. I feel like lying down in a quiet dark room after this song. Well, the chorus is great and I also like the “party theme” at ten minutes.

1-1 points: MoraWintersoul
The Gathering – Paper Waves

I just wish Anneke was singing this. And even then, this wouldn’t be all that memorable. I’ve thought that Anneke was too good for this band anyway. It’s an upbeat pop rock song and it’s… decent, but not something I’d be interested in hearing more.

STANDINGS

TAC 53 pts
Stadler 51 pts
Cyril 50 pts
Sacul 45 pts
Kattelox 45 pts
Lethean 43 pts
Puppies_On_Acid 42 pts
senecadawg2 35 pts
MoraWintersoul 34 pts
Train of Naught 33 pts

Congrats TAC!!!
:metal :metal :metal And thanks for everyone who played, it was my pleasure!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #793 on: June 23, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »
Nice!  That was too close for comfort!

Thought I had it in the bag with that song, which is amazing!

Somehow I won this with three 4's in 8 rounds. Yikes!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #794 on: June 23, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »
Round 8 results

8 points: Puppies_On_Acid
Moonsorrow – Jotunheim

The first three minutes are pure beauty. Then there’s a horrifying scream.  :lol Anyway, there’s plenty of amazing melodies. The screamed vocals are mostly good, although the clash with how beautiful this song really is. The lyrics are very beautiful and poetic (well I’m one of the few people on the forums who actually can understand them  :lol). It would be awesome to climb on a fell and blast this over the cliffs and pine trees. And yeah, since the last three minutes is mostly silence, bird song or sounds of fire, I’ve skipped them after the first listen.

:) I'm glad to see this one do well.  I haven't listened to it much since my roulette so maybe I'll go back and revisit it soon.  It definitely fit the "epic" criteria for yours. :)

5 points: Lethean
Vanden Plas – Beyond Daylight

I have no idea why I disliked this song so much at first. Maybe because it’s not as energetic as the others? Still not loving the vocalist, but this is some quality prog metal. I love the chorus on each listen. Sadly, while the keyboard-driven bridge starts out well enough, it drags on for too long and kills some of the song’s momentum. Thankfully it gains it back during the instrumental section. The guitar solo is blazing!

Glad you enjoyed this one a bit after initially not liking it.  I love that middle part to death though... I know it's light and can see why you'd think it loses momentum. But for me it's just so cool and it makes the song that much more intense when it gets to the part right before when the chorus comes back in.  I suppose I'll hope that it keeps growing on you. :)

Offline Ruba

« Reply #795 on: June 23, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »
Nice!  That was too close for comfort!

I initially remembered Cyril had 43 points before this round, which would've meant a tie and a tiebreaker round. Shame really, I had a good tiebreaker ready.  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #796 on: June 23, 2019, 02:15:11 PM »
Yeah, a real shame!  :neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #797 on: June 23, 2019, 02:19:06 PM »
dang, if you'd scored Bent Knee properly (or if i'd gone with this like i originally planned to) i might've won the whole thing  :lol

but yeah i'm not huge on folk metal either, but wilderun is the big, gigantic exception, because that album slays. honestly ash memory is only my third favorite of the four main songs on the album, but it's the longest, hence

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #798 on: June 23, 2019, 03:11:53 PM »
That is the incorrect way to score ATTWS on an epic round. Not gonna lie, I'm super bummed on this one, but tastes...

Fun roulette though!! Thanks for letting me play  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #799 on: June 23, 2019, 03:47:29 PM »
Wish I could've done better overall, but I'm glad I played. Thanks!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #800 on: June 23, 2019, 03:50:13 PM »
Glad Moonsorrow did so well here  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #801 on: June 23, 2019, 06:06:59 PM »
Congrats TAC, and thanks for running this, Ruba, it was fun :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #802 on: June 24, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »

STANDINGS

TAC 53 pts
Stadler 51 pts

I thought that Kiske song would do better too, but I'm not complaining!   :) 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #803 on: June 24, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »

STANDINGS

TAC 53 pts
Stadler 51 pts

I thought that Kiske song would do better too, but I'm not complaining!   :)

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Ruba

« Reply #804 on: June 24, 2019, 03:08:44 PM »
They say wisdom comes with age...

...and arthritis.