Poll

Shall we have the bottom two players eliminated after round 4?

We want blood!
4 (40%)
Give peace a chance! (or at least stand still)
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 23, 2019, 12:06:28 PM

Author Topic: Ruba's Roulette II v. Final results!  (Read 38772 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Ruba's Roulette II v. Round 6 results
« Reply #700 on: June 12, 2019, 02:02:46 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #701 on: June 12, 2019, 02:33:22 PM »
post before dawn, dear

Offline Ruba

« Reply #702 on: June 12, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »
I'll go to my father's place on Friday to feed his cats while he's on a fishing trip, I'd like to post the results before I leave. You know, it's easier to type when there's no furry friends lying on top of your keyboard.  ::)

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Roulette II v. Round 7 results
« Reply #703 on: June 14, 2019, 03:12:36 AM »
Round 7 results

10 points: Sacul
Massive Attack – Risingson

Cool mysterious atmosphere and I like the bass. It’s a little too busy sounding though.

Hell yes trip hop. Nice beat and I like how this sounds chill and ominous at the same time. There’s a nice contrast between the two vocalists’ voices.

9 points: TAC
Gary Moore – Worry No More

This might seem like something that wouldn’t work at all, but I think this is pretty cool.

This was… unexpected. It’s a blues song at heart, but presented as late 90s electronic rock. And the best thing is, it works! Actually the instrumental reminds me of Garbage. I imagine this might’ve come as a shock to lot of his fans, but I have respect for artists who are ready to try new things.

8 points: Cyril
Arcane Roots – Arp

To be fair, this song became better when the drums and guitar kicked in.

The first half of the song sort of reminds me of In Rainbows-era Radiohead. It’s actually very good. The heavier parts I like too, but this ends a bit suddenly, I’d liked this to go on for a bit longer.

7 points: Stadler
The Firm – Radioactive (Special Remix)

Seriously cool bass, but the whole think is a tad long and directionless.

So, this is an extended remix of a 80s rock supergroup single. The original song is under three minutes long, the remix almost six minutes. I haven’t listened to the original song yet, but I’m fairly sure I’ll like that better, I can tell it’s a good 80s rock song with a catchy chorus. That fretless bass might be my single favourite thing about this song. But yeah, extended 12’’ remixes weren’t a rock music standard and lot of this is made of repetitive loops. I tried to look up who remixed this, but didn’t found any information so I assume it was remixed by the band themselves. Maybe someone more versed with pop/dance music could’ve made more interesting remix.

6 points: MoraWintersoul
Grimes – REALiTi (Demo)

This is a bit more sleeker-sounding I usually like to listen to, but quite lovely nevertheless.

This is kinda cutesy, even though the lyrics are darker. Interesting instrumentation and the chorus is very good and catchy. This is somewhere between club hit and indie, but has a good mix of both.

5 points: Kattelox
Tycho – Apogee

Beautiful, melodic piece.

I honestly like the first minute of this song the best, it has some very good beats. The rest is good too, although not as interesting. It’s just… there, pleasant sounding with good melodies, but nothing that really captures my attention. I like the organic drum sounds.

4 points: senecadawg2
Björk – Cocoon

I like the vocals, but the beat is a bit annoying. The song might actually work without it.

I’ve liked Björk’s vocals before and she does deliver. She’s probably acquired taste but has a very unique approach to vocals. I like the calm synths, but the beat could’ve been trimmed down a beat, the bass drum hits should’ve been enough. The lyrics and delivery go probably bit into intimate territory too much and she might be oversharing, but that’s just my opinion.

3 points: Lethean
Katatonia - Unfurl

Nice trip-hoppy beat and distorted bass go well together, but I’d wanted this to kick into higher gear towards the end.

Well the first impression pretty much says it. I like the guitar wailing, but the vocals are maybe a tad soft and I’d hoped live drums kicked in towards the end. It begins well enough, but I’d expect more from this. This was a B-side and I don’t really think this would’ve been strong enough to be an album track.

2 point: Puppies_on_Acid
Slushii – Sapient Dream

Cool beat but other than, not my thing.

I don’t know. It’s pleasant enough, although the spliced-up high-pitched vocal sample is kinda annoying. But it’s not very memorable. Maybe I’d liked it more if it had calmer beat and it’d embraced the chillness. One of the synth sounds reminds me of Deus Ex soundtrack though, which is cool.

1 point: Train of Naught
Periphery – Crush

This sounds like Linkin Park and I don’t like Linkin Park. The outro should’ve been a separate song.

Sigh… You said djentwave and got my attention. There’s no djent here though, only nu metal. The Linkin Park influence is really obvious, he clearly tries to sound like Chester in choruses, but the chorus vocal melodies are really dull. Really, they should have scrapped the first five minutes and worked more on the outro. Maybe going full on electro swing or turning those string melodies into djent riffs.

STANDINGS
TAC 49 pts
Stadler 43 pts
Kattelox 43 pts
Sacul 40 pts
Cyril 40 pts
Lethean 38 pts
MoraWintersoul 34 pts
Puppies_On_Acid 34 pts
Train of Naught 30 pts
senecadawg2 28 pts

Offline Ruba

« Reply #704 on: June 14, 2019, 03:19:06 AM »
Added to banned list
Massive Attack
Gary Moore
Arcane Roots
The Firm

Round 8 theme:

THE HOMESTRETCH

We're nearly there and may I say, it's been a fun ride. For the last round, send something you think is epic.

DEADLINE 17th June 10 a.m. U.S. Eastern/3 p.m. Greenwich time
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:28:06 AM by Ruba »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #705 on: June 14, 2019, 06:23:29 AM »
WOW!! Look at TAC pull ahead!!

Epic? All right mofo, you got it!! Let me pour one out for my homie Pup first.

Sent the most epic song of the roulette. Bar none.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:33:53 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #706 on: June 14, 2019, 07:17:54 AM »
Wait, that Gary Moore song counts?!  :lol Not complaining, but definitely not what I thought of when I thought about sending something electronic.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #707 on: June 14, 2019, 07:33:55 AM »
Wait, that Gary Moore song counts?!  :lol Not complaining, but definitely not what I thought of when I thought about sending something electronic.

Have you heard it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: June 14, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »

Have you heard it?

Yes, that post was written while I was listening to it :P I was just thinking 'electronic' so I was thinking all-electronic songs. Nothing wrong with it, just surprised that got the high marks and the all electronic stuff bombed  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: June 14, 2019, 07:49:19 AM »
Once again, the theme is quite lax. All instrumentation does not need to be electronic. But it can't be like e.g. Outcry, where there's a minute of electronic beat in an 11 minute song either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #710 on: June 14, 2019, 07:49:46 AM »

Sure, it didn't have to be all-out electronica. Although it would've been fun to see what Tim would've gone with if a had been an asshole about the theme. :lol

I guess there might have been grounds to reject The Firm, but I let it pass because Stadler had had some bad luck finding a right song and an extended "dance mix" of a rock song was something different and a fun idea on its own right.

all electronic stuff bombed  :lol

Well Massive Attack won so that's not entirely true. :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #711 on: June 14, 2019, 08:12:14 AM »
I wasn't even sure if mine counted as electronic, to be honest. But I guess it did! 

Ruba - though you may not have liked it and that's fine because tastes and all, it was left off of the album not because of the quality of the song, but because it doesn't really fit.  :P  That particular album is one of their heavier ones.  Unfurl is actually a bit of a fan favorite and they've played it live.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #712 on: June 14, 2019, 08:18:57 AM »
Ruba - though you may not have liked it and that's fine because tastes and all, it was left off of the album not because of the quality of the song, but because it doesn't really fit.  :P  That particular album is one of their heavier ones.  Unfurl is actually a bit of a fan favorite and they've played it live.

I somewhat liked it, but it might be a song I should be in certain mood to like more. :P But if they felt the song would have felt out of place on the record, that's an understandable reason.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #713 on: June 14, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »
Well, I'm out of contention for winning. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I will be sending this round.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #714 on: June 14, 2019, 09:11:22 AM »
Well, I'm out of contention for winning. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I will be sending this round.  :corn
the immediate first thing that jumped to mind for you is on the banned list, tho

anyways hell yeah i can tie TAC maybe possibly  :metal probably not
also, you gave cocoon a higher score than i did  :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:12:06 AM by Cyril »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #715 on: June 14, 2019, 02:13:56 PM »

This might seem like something that wouldn’t work at all, but I think this is pretty cool.

This was… unexpected. It’s a blues song at heart, but presented as late 90s electronic rock. And the best thing is, it works! Actually the instrumental reminds me of Garbage. I imagine this might’ve come as a shock to lot of his fans, but I have respect for artists who are ready to try new things.

Ruba, I'm glad you liked this. I had no idea what you were looking for or how it would do.

This album to me, is the single worse thing Gary Moore has ever done. The songs are all programmed electronically, and it's really just him playing to the beats. When you wanted something electronic, it was the first thing I have that I  thought of. For the first time in years, I listened to this album trying to figure if anything would fit the theme and be worth listening to.

Worry No More was the clear choice, but thank you for letting me rediscover this album. Unfortunately, we're going to get all the music we're going to get from Gary Moore, so it's best to try and enjoy what he's released, evenm if it means finding some good in what was originally thought as terrible.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #716 on: June 14, 2019, 04:20:32 PM »
Hell yeah  :metal

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #717 on: June 14, 2019, 05:14:16 PM »

Ruba, I'm glad you liked this. I had no idea what you were looking for or how it would do.

This album to me, is the single worse thing Gary Moore has ever done. The songs are all programmed electronically, and it's really just him playing to the beats. When you wanted something electronic, it was the first thing I have that I  thought of. For the first time in years, I listened to this album trying to figure if anything would fit the theme and be worth listening to.

Worry No More was the clear choice, but thank you for letting me rediscover this album. Unfortunately, we're going to get all the music we're going to get from Gary Moore, so it's best to try and enjoy what he's released, even if it means finding some good in what was originally thought as terrible.
Was Gary Moore the guy that was in Thin Lizzy for a while?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #718 on: June 14, 2019, 05:51:01 PM »
Gary Moore filled in a couple of times when they needed a guitarist. He is only on one album, Black Rose.

He is on the video of the show at the Sydney Opera House from 1979

Offline Ruba

« Reply #719 on: June 15, 2019, 12:38:33 AM »

I knew he was a legendary blues guitarist, but I had no idea he had done anything like it. I'm interested to check some other songs from that album at least.

Was Gary Moore the guy that was in Thin Lizzy for a while?

I read from Wikipedia that he played in Skid Row too... apparently not the Sebastian Bach Skid Row however. :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #720 on: June 15, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »
D

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #721 on: June 15, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »
E
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #722 on: June 15, 2019, 07:30:03 PM »
A

Offline Ruba

« Reply #723 on: June 15, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »
Hold your horses guys, I'm still... (checks) Four short!  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #724 on: June 15, 2019, 08:18:22 PM »
:getoffmylawn:

slowpokes!!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #725 on: June 16, 2019, 02:07:09 PM »
Damn, Crush is definitely one of my favourite songs of 2019 :lol can't argue with Massive Attack winning though
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Roulette II v. Don't keep me hanging
« Reply #726 on: June 17, 2019, 08:02:54 AM »
Okay, deadline is up and I still don't have two of the songs...

HANGMAN VIII

Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence
Vanden Plas - _____d Da__i__t
Michael Kiske - Do I Remember A Life
Moonsorrow - Jotunheim
Wilderun - Ash Memory
Agalloch - In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion
Refused - Tannhauser/Derrive
__r _a__ I_ _a__a - S_a_
T__ ___ - ____ R_i__ _'_r __

DAS TRIP
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:29:25 PM by Ruba »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: June 17, 2019, 08:09:23 AM »
I want to see a lot of Ds :neverusethis:

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #728 on: June 17, 2019, 08:16:56 AM »
P
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #729 on: June 17, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »
Vanden Plas

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: June 17, 2019, 08:47:13 AM »
Lethean sent VP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #731 on: June 17, 2019, 08:49:21 AM »
Sorry, I'm one of the laggers; SENT!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #732 on: June 17, 2019, 09:17:16 AM »
give me the T for DTP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #733 on: June 17, 2019, 09:45:49 AM »
A

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #734 on: June 17, 2019, 09:58:23 AM »
Agalloch - In the Shadow of our Pale Companion