Poll

Shall we have the bottom two players eliminated after round 4?

We want blood!
4 (40%)
Give peace a chance! (or at least stand still)
6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: May 23, 2019, 12:06:28 PM

Author Topic: Ruba's Roulette II v. Final results!  (Read 39939 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Ruba's Roulette II v. No, you hang up first
« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2019, 03:44:42 PM »
Protomen is seneca?
Angra is Lethean obviously
CBP is Train

Offline Ruba

« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
And that's it. :tup You can of course guess who sent what, I've updated the correct guesses above.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »
see my above post  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2019, 03:56:34 PM »
Kings of Leon is Katt, also
TAC is probably Lost Domain
Tomorrows Bad Seeds is Puppies
I didn't send Gunship

Offline Ruba

« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2019, 04:00:56 PM »
I didn't send Gunship

OK I believe you...

...but my Tommy gun don't.  :loser:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »
juicy first impressions time?  :corn

Offline Ruba

« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2019, 04:07:54 PM »
Errrr... sometime within six hours I'd say.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2019, 06:21:09 PM »
Round 2 first impressions:

I dig the percussion. While this belongs to a genre I'm not too keen on, there’s still a lot to like.

While this was probably a safe bet, it’s fun and fits the theme to the T.

Cool bridge, but I’m kinda lukewarm towards the rest. Vocalist might be the bastard son of Geddy Lee and Claudio Sanchez.

Not exactly what I was looking for, but this totally works too. Nice bassline.

They’re taking it slightly over the top, but not too much. And that’s a great 80s synth sound right there!

Some really sweet guitar work right here. I was in from the opening riff and while it didn’t go where I expected it to, it was a fun journey.

This is nothing like the other songs by them I’ve heard. This feels more like sitting in the backseat while someone is driving through the city at night. I’m surprised if this hasn’t been used in a movie.

Mmm, sax. I don’t really like the female vocalist, but she doesn’t ruin the song.

I do know this band, but I’ve never really liked the vocals. This is maybe best song by them I’ve heard though. The opening reminded me of something along the lines of Bullet for My Valentine or Saosin.

The first half of the song would probably cause me going way under the speed limit. Thankfully it picks up the pace.

Also, I'm listening these songs on shuffle and there was one amazing segue between songs, where I wasn't first sure whether the song had changed.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Ruba's Roulette II v. Round 2 first impressions
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2019, 06:23:33 PM »
Mine is "Mmm, sax". rip the female vocalist
Protomen is "80's synth sound" probably

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2019, 07:02:55 PM »

Cool bridge, but I’m kinda lukewarm towards the rest. Vocalist might be the bastard son of Geddy Lee and Claudio Sanchez.

Some really sweet guitar work right here. I was in from the opening riff and while it didn’t go where I expected it to, it was a fun journey.

One of these is mine. Mine has a great opening riff and a great bridge! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #220 on: April 28, 2019, 09:52:25 PM »
I dig the percussion. While this belongs to a genre I'm not too keen on, there’s still a lot to like.

The first half of the song would probably cause me going way under the speed limit. Thankfully it picks up the pace.
Mine is probably one of these....maybe..
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #221 on: April 28, 2019, 10:06:55 PM »
"Not exactly what I was looking for, but this totally works too. Nice bassline."

This could be mine... I had a feeling my submission wasn't exactly what you were looking for, because I probably interpreted the theme in a different way.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ruba

« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2019, 06:39:32 AM »
I had a feeling my submission wasn't exactly what you were looking for, because I probably interpreted the theme in a different way.

And that's completely fine. Everyone did and it would've been boring if I had received Radar Love 10 times. :lol This is definitely more diverse bunch of songs than the first one and while there's a couple of songs I personally don't feel fitting the theme that well, I think it's just fun that people can interpret it in so different ways.

Results probably Friday or Saturday.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2019, 07:03:40 AM »

One of these is mine. Mine has a great opening riff and a great bridge! ;D

It's the first one. I wouldn't usually want to give first impressions away before the results but I did some research on the band and apparently the vocalist is female. :lol This is bit like the time I came across with Slaughter and I thought they're an OK hard rock band, but I kinda dig the chick singing. Umm yeah, about that...  :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2019, 08:00:43 AM »
Yay, another 4!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2019, 08:55:59 AM »

Cool bridge, but I’m kinda lukewarm towards the rest. Vocalist might be the bastard son of Geddy Lee and Claudio

Mine.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #226 on: May 02, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
:soon:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2019, 07:47:38 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2019, 01:23:29 AM »
:splodetard: :splodetard: :splodetard: :splodetard: :splodetard: :splodetard: :splodetard: :splodetard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Ruba

Re: Ruba's Roulette II v. Round 2 results
« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2019, 02:10:50 AM »
ROUND 2 RESULTS

10 points: Stadler
Van Halen – Panama

Sometimes playing it safe pays off. I mean, it’s a song about a car and features sounds of a sports car revving! :lol Stellar guitar playing and while it’s kind of flashy and almost silly, it has the strong driving back from the rhythm section.

9 points: Puppies_On_Acid
Tomorrows Bad Seeds – Early Prayers

The opening riff let me expect something stoner rock, but then it became reggae-y. And towards the end it becomes skateboard punk. Interesting mix, but it works. Instrumentation is top notch and it’s really fun to listen. Although the missing apostrophe in the band name is bugging me.

8 points: Parama
Gunship ft. Tim Cappello, Indiana – Dark All Day

Mmm, sax. I don’t really like the female vocalist, but she doesn’t ruin the song.

How to make modern music that I like? By making it sound retro, of course! Okay, it’s not a surefire method, but it works here. They’re taking 80s vibe and turning it into something that sounds familiar and vaguely futuristic. Tim’s sax is soloing all over and while it sounds a bit sleek to my tastes, it’s a nice touch. Indiana’s vocals are indeed my biggest gripe with the song, she has that breathy indie pop voice ala Ellie Goulding or Halsey which probably intends to sound sexy, but usually gets on my nerves. On this occasion I can tolerate her however. Great bass drop! Let's fly. :hat

7 points: MoraWintersoul
Sentenced – May Today Become the Day

I do know this band, but I’ve never really liked the vocals. This is maybe best song by them I’ve heard though. The opening reminded me of something along the lines of Bullet for My Valentine or Saosin.

Wait, weren’t these guys supposed to be all gloomy and depressing?  :lol This reminds me of music on the PS2 racing games I used to play when I was younger (Burnout series, FlatOut2…). I’m not still too crazy about Laihiala’s vocals, but he does good enough job here. Just some very good high-octane heavy metal.

6 points: Lethean
Angra – Carolina IV

The theme was about driving and you send a song about a boat? :neverusethis: I really like the Brazilian folk music influence. The straight-up power metal portions are probably my least favourite here, it’s just a genre of music I’ll probably never get into. The chorus is very good though. Instrumental section is seriously good, especially the sick bass lead and the guitar solo.

5 points: Kattelox
Kings of Leon – Knocked Up

Not exactly what I was looking for, but this totally works too. Nice bassline.

I don’t like Sex on Fire or Use Somebody. Thankfully this song is nothing like those two. This is driven forward by a quite chill country-esque vibe. The chorus is very good, it could stand to be repeated one more time.

4 points: TAC
Lost Domain – Silent Cry

OK, I also quite like the chorus. This belongs pretty much in the same category with the Sentenced song, but while this is more technical, it’s less catchy. But like Thrice in the last round, this band’s probably worth further investigation.

3 points: Sacul
Goldfrapp – Stranger

This is nothing like the other songs by them I’ve heard. This feels more like sitting in the backseat while someone is driving through the city at night. I’m surprised if this hasn’t been used in a movie.

The first impression still stands. I have no idea how this song would fit the theme, it feels like you’re going 10 mp/h. However, no points for style are awarded. This is a big orchestral, lush ballad and a quite good one at that.

2 points: senecadawg2
The Protomen – Breaking Out

They’re taking it slightly over the top, but not too much. And that’s a great 80s synth sound right there!

I get some Bruce Springsteen vibes from this. This song is musically quite repetitive, maybe a little too much for its length, but the energy and theatricality (is that even a word?) of it save it from becoming too boring.

1 point: Train of Naught
Crippled Black Phoenix – Troublemaker

The sample at the beginning is almost more interesting than the rest of the song. Here’s some of the stoner rock vibe I like, but it feels like they’ve been hitting the bong one too many times. The first half of the song feels a bit undecided whether it wants to be chill or heavy. I wish the production was a tad heavier. The chorus is good though and the organ sound is lovely. While the faster part is fun and fits the theme, they take a bit too long getting there.

Standings

Parama 18 pts
Stadler 18 pts
Puppies_On_Acid 15 pts
Kattelox 14 pts
Lethean 13 pts
MoraWintersoul 8 pts
Sacul 8 pts
TAC 8 pts
Train of Naught 4 pts
senecadawg2 4 pts

Also, I'm listening these songs on shuffle and there was one amazing segue between songs, where I wasn't first sure whether the song had changed.

This one was a segue from Tomorrows Bad Seeds to Goldfrapp. It was quite fun, I'd encourage at least Puppies and Sacul to try it out.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:27:12 AM by Ruba »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2019, 02:19:51 AM »
Round 3 theme:

PULLING THE PLUG

For this round, send me something 'acoustic'. Now this term can be interpreted in many ways, but send something either acoustic guitar or piano-driven, with little to no electric instruments (bass is fine).

DEADLINE MAY 6th 10 a.m. US Eastern/3 p.m. Greenwich time

Added to banned list

Van Halen
Tomorrows Bad Seeds
Gunship
Sentenced
Angra

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2019, 07:07:29 AM »
Neato. That KoL song isn't even in my top 10 for them, but I'm glad you liked it, because I was afraid you'd have that opinion of the band based on Use Somebody and Sex On Fire (I rarely listen to those although I don't think they're bad). Their stuff over the years has gotten much more mellow and smooth than Sex On Fire implies they are.

Got a lot of options for this next one, you'll get mine probably tomorrow (seeing Avengers tonight so no time to send).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2019, 08:41:23 AM »
hmm, this theme sucks and i might have to whip out one of my "secret bands" for it, we'll see  :corn

Offline Ruba

« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2019, 09:28:29 AM »
Just for fun, I envisioned some situations and cars you might feel like listening to these songs.

Tomorrows Bad Seeds: Cruising through the Southern California coastline in a Chevy Caprice at dusk.

Van Halen: Pedal to the metal through the Arizona desert in Dodge Charger, leaving large clouds of dust behind.

Gunship: In a dystopic not-too-distant future dominated by bright 80s neon colours, you're armed with one of these, in a snazzy hot pink paint job.

The Protomen: The car is irrelevant, you have only one mission and it is BREAKING OUT OF HERE while the evening sky burns orange. Unfortunately, you end driving in circles a few times before finding the right way.

Lost Domain: Powering aroound the outskirts of a major metropolitan area in a Nissan 350Z.

Sentenced: I still feel like this song would be a perfect fit for a racing console game, so here's some gameplay footage from FlatOut 2.

Angra: Wading through Amazonian jungle in a Jeep Wrangler, while taking some time to marvel the sights.

Goldfrapp: You're a chauffeur for a movie star.

Kings of Leon: You're cruising on a Midwestern highway in a Buick Station Wagon, while the Sun is shining from the cloudless sky and there are endless fields of gold on your either side.

Crippled Black Phoenix: You're driving through grittier areas of Manchester in a Ford Cortina Mark V. Your car has slight engine trouble.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:35:56 AM by Ruba »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2019, 09:36:04 AM »
Yeah, that's definitely fitting  :lol

EDIT: Sent a song that makes me tear up almost every time I listen to it. Hope it's the round winner.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:59:23 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2019, 07:44:29 PM »
sent a song that's just a guy with an acoustic guitar. we're taking things completely literal here

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
Sent 2 songs  :biggrin:

One is just a guy and an acoustic guitar. The other is a guy and a piano.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »
i mean technically i sent two songs too, like i have been doing, but the one that counts is the guitar guy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2019, 08:30:17 PM »
the one that counts is the guitar guy
Same
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2019, 08:30:55 PM »
i hope we sent the same guitar guy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: May 03, 2019, 08:33:16 PM »
i hope we sent the same guitar guy
Well, technically the song I sent is by a band, but this particular song is just an acoustic guitar and a guy singing.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: May 03, 2019, 08:36:49 PM »
A sent a guy playing an acoustic song, but a a different guy is singing.  :neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: May 03, 2019, 08:49:09 PM »
mine's just one dude  :corn

Offline Lethean

« Reply #243 on: May 04, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »

Angra – Carolina IV

The theme was about driving and you send a song about a boat? :neverusethis: I really like the Brazilian folk music influence. The straight-up power metal portions are probably my least favourite here, it’s just a genre of music I’ll probably never get into. The chorus is very good though. Instrumental section is seriously good, especially the sick bass lead and the guitar solo.

The theme wasn't about driving - it was a song that makes you want to drive. :P  This is a great song for the car, so there. :)

Offline Ruba

« Reply #244 on: May 04, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »

Angra – Carolina IV

The theme wasn't about driving - it was a song that makes you want to drive. :P  This is a great song for the car, so there. :)

Of course, it was just an observation that amused me.