Poll

Metal clash from 1984: Powerslave or Ride the Lightning?

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
45 (51.7%)
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
42 (48.3%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Metal clash from 1984: Powerslave or Ride the Lightning?  (Read 7259 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Metal clash from 1984: Powerslave or Ride the Lightning?
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2019, 03:26:56 PM »
MOP was all the talk at our HS.  Most of the heads (Remember that term?) loved Cliff's playing.  It was like a titlewave at school with everyone wearing their concert tees.

I played it off as they were just ok because i thought I would be the music rebel.  Oh youth.

"Heads" was apparently not a term used out here.

You and I clearly went to very different schools, and it sounds like I would have enjoyed yours (and Stadler's, apparently) a LOT more than I enjoyed mine.  I went to a private Catholic school.  Out of a graduating class of around 550, I would be hard pressed to name more than 20 kids who were into metal or anything heavier than Foreigner.  A handful of us wore concert shirts under the polo or button-down shirts we were required to wear, and we occasionally got hassled about that by one of the deans.  I also graduated nine months before MOP was released, so....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2019, 03:34:19 PM »
My own perspective: I was in high school from 2005-09. Only ever saw a few Maiden shirts and it was amongst my few friends. But I saw Metallica shirts on tons of other people. And even more Slipknot. Maiden unfortunately was not all the rage here although they were well known. Somehow Metallica was just ubiquitous, Maiden was not. I think it's the harmonized guitars and higher vocals with Maiden. The gritty grungy riffs and lower vox of Metallica seem to appeal to these country kids more...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2019, 05:04:23 PM »
I definitely agree with there being a noticeable difference in quality between the four top and four "bottom" songs on Powerslave and "Back in the Village" might very well be Maiden's weakest '80s song. Then again, Ride the Lightning has "Escape".

I guess an argument could be made for RTL being more consistent. I'm more likely to put on Powerslave.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2019, 05:06:48 PM »
MOP was all the talk at our HS.  Most of the heads (Remember that term?) loved Cliff's playing.  It was like a titlewave at school with everyone wearing their concert tees.

I played it off as they were just ok because i thought I would be the music rebel.  Oh youth.

"Heads" was apparently not a term used out here.

You and I clearly went to very different schools, and it sounds like I would have enjoyed yours (and Stadler's, apparently) a LOT more than I enjoyed mine.  I went to a private Catholic school.  Out of a graduating class of around 550, I would be hard pressed to name more than 20 kids who were into metal or anything heavier than Foreigner.  A handful of us wore concert shirts under the polo or button-down shirts we were required to wear, and we occasionally got hassled about that by one of the deans.  I also graduated nine months before MOP was released, so....

Catholic school boy until High school.  I got excepted to a catholic high school but wanted to be with my friends in my hometown.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2019, 11:54:49 PM »
RTL, easily.  Solid album from start to finish.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is the best song on either album.  Powerslave does have some filler though, that's what makes this a bit closer.

LOTS of filler.  But the rest is so awesome.  I mean, Two Minutes, Powerslave, and Rime are top notch.  Aces High is okay with some very good moments.  But the rest of the album is probably some of the weakest material they've ever done in Bruce's tenure with the band.  VERY inconsistent album.

Honest question, do you rank those songs below No Prayer, or FotD?

I understand why people may not like them considering the greatness of the songs surrounding them, but I still think that they're (for the most part) better than anything off of the last two albums of Bruce's initial run with the band.

Personally, I EASILY take FOTD over Powerslave. EASILY.

No Prayer comes in below Powerslave though.

I remember you talking about your issues with Powerslave in the IM discography thread. When I try to look at it from your point of view I have to admit that you make some very valid points. But when I hear FTOD it sounds like a band that is desperately trying to regain it's footing. When I hear PS it sounds like a band that is in it's prime. That very well might be my bias coloring my opinion, though. PS is a very important album to me.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2019, 04:33:11 AM »
Both classic albums but RTL gets my vote. 5 of its tracks (RTL, Bell, Fade, Creeping Death and Ktulu) are among my favourite metal songs. Powerslave is great (and has one of my favourite album covers of any band), but I don't have the same 'history' with it as I do the early Metallica records.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2019, 05:53:29 AM »
I really only consider Back to the Village as filler...

WHAT? Are you listening to the same Back in the Village that I am? The one on the Powerslave album? The one track that is definitely NOT filler? I mean, I know we all listen to music differently, but sheesh...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2019, 06:07:48 AM »
I really only consider Back to the Village as filler...

WHAT? Are you listening to the same Back in the Village that I am? The one on the Powerslave album? The one track that is definitely NOT filler? I mean, I know we all listen to music differently, but sheesh...

Yes that song

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2019, 06:35:56 AM »
Tough choice but I'm leaning towards RTL. For me Metallica in their prime (RTL-MoP-AJFA) is better than anything Maiden has done, but Maiden has kept a more consistent high bar through their career.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2019, 07:48:01 AM »
I definitely agree with there being a noticeable difference in quality between the four top and four "bottom" songs on Powerslave and "Back in the Village" might very well be Maiden's weakest '80s song. Then again, Ride the Lightning has "Escape".

I guess an argument could be made for RTL being more consistent. I'm more likely to put on Powerslave.

As I was reading that, my cellphone rang, and it was "Gangland", with "The Lonliness Of The Long Distance Runner" on speaker, and they were overjoyed to see your post.   They wanted me to express their sincere thanks for not mentioning them instead.  :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2019, 07:57:31 AM »
RTL, easily.  Solid album from start to finish.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is the best song on either album.  Powerslave does have some filler though, that's what makes this a bit closer.

LOTS of filler.  But the rest is so awesome.  I mean, Two Minutes, Powerslave, and Rime are top notch.  Aces High is okay with some very good moments.  But the rest of the album is probably some of the weakest material they've ever done in Bruce's tenure with the band.  VERY inconsistent album.

Honest question, do you rank those songs below No Prayer, or FotD?

I understand why people may not like them considering the greatness of the songs surrounding them, but I still think that they're (for the most part) better than anything off of the last two albums of Bruce's initial run with the band.

Personally, I EASILY take FOTD over Powerslave. EASILY.

No Prayer comes in below Powerslave though.

I remember you talking about your issues with Powerslave in the IM discography thread. When I try to look at it from your point of view I have to admit that you make some very valid points. But when I hear FTOD it sounds like a band that is desperately trying to regain it's footing. When I hear PS it sounds like a band that is in it's prime. That very well might be my bias coloring my opinion, though. PS is a very important album to me.

And thus the screen name!  :)

But this for me, too.  I got into Maiden in real time with "Number..." (saw them as an opening act for Priest), then saw them on their first headlining tour ("Piece...") with Fastway and Coney Hatch, but Powerslave was the record that for me put them into the big leagues.  The album cover (embossed, sort of!), the epic 57 minute song ala Genesis (who, at the time, Harris had taken to complementing as an early influence), the epic ALBUM (it didn't fit on half a 90-min tape as every Maiden album did before, and it wasn't even close; I think the record is like 25 minutes a side).    The b-sides stepped up (I think Rainbow's Gold and King Of Twilight are as good as anything on the record itself), the tour was epic (which spawned, wait for it, DTF, WAIT FOR IT... Live After Death)... and as some of you have said, at the time, Metallica was in comparison this street kid from somewhere out west with the funny looking drummer... it was no contest AT THE TIME.

And old habits die hard.  Not saying anyone else is wrong, just trying to articulate that sometimes it goes beyond just the grooves in the record.

EDIT:  See the Portnoy thread regarding Myung (and the idea they live in PA and hate each other), the conversation in "Mission From 'arry" was recorded after a show in Allentown, PA.  Must be something in the water there, drummers and bassists...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2019, 08:12:17 AM »
...at the time, Metallica was in comparison this street kid from somewhere out west with the funny looking drummer... it was no contest AT THE TIME.

I think it depended on where you were.  At my school, BOTH were pretty obscure.  But you know of fans of both.  We definitely had out share of Maiden fans.  But we also had plenty of kids going around with "Ride the Lightning" and "Metal Up Your Ass" t-shirts during this timeframe who would rabidly tell anyone within earshot how awesome Metallica were and how they were going to be huge some day.  I could be wrong, but if memory serves, it seemed like the Metallica fans outnumbered the Maiden fans AT THE TIME.  Granted, that may have also been a product of us being about 30 miles from San Francisco and Berkeley, where thrash had it roots.  But my point is simply that I can't say that Maiden were far and away the slam dunk winners everywhere at that point in time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2019, 09:44:35 AM »

As I was reading that, my cellphone rang, and it was "Gangland", with "The Lonliness Of The Long Distance Runner" on speaker, and they were overjoyed to see your post.   They wanted me to express their sincere thanks for not mentioning them instead.  :)

Back in the Village makes Gangland seem like Bohemian Rhapsody.

I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village I'm back in the village again in the village...AGAIN.

Please tell us again where you are, Bruce?

...at the time, Metallica was in comparison this street kid from somewhere out west with the funny looking drummer... it was no contest AT THE TIME.

I think it depended on where you were.  At my school, BOTH were pretty obscure.  But you know of fans of both.  We definitely had out share of Maiden fans.  But we also had plenty of kids going around with "Ride the Lightning" and "Metal Up Your Ass" t-shirts during this timeframe who would rabidly tell anyone within earshot how awesome Metallica were and how they were going to be huge some day.  I could be wrong, but if memory serves, it seemed like the Metallica fans outnumbered the Maiden fans AT THE TIME.  Granted, that may have also been a product of us being about 30 miles from San Francisco and Berkeley, where thrash had it roots.  But my point is simply that I can't say that Maiden were far and away the slam dunk winners everywhere at that point in time.

Definitely.  I don't think too many folks outside of NoCal knew who Metallica were until well after Ride the Lightning came out.  When we were seniors ('84-'85), my friend bought RTL on one of our "buy something we've never heard of" trips to the music store.  The band's name was a selling point, as was the album cover.  We listened to it going to and from school, although I didn't like Hetfield's voice at first.  Fade to Black might have gotten some airplay, but Metallica didn't really take off in SoCal until KNAC started playing metal in January 1986.  Maiden was huge coming off the Piece of Mind tour, and the release of Powerslave in 1984 cemented that.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2019, 10:48:09 AM »
You're killing me, PG!   :)

I don't put that Maiden/Metallica thing out there to say I'm right.  I'm constantly fascinated by the regionality of music, even here in the States.  Sammy Hagar talked about that; he could headline arenas in some regions of the country, and couldn't get an opening act slot in others.  I remember back in the day, bands like Rainbow, Sabbath, Ozzy would all talk about "San Antonio" and how awesome it was (well, it is!).  Sabbath and Rainbow both did live albums there. They must have been RABID for their metal at that point.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2019, 11:37:21 AM »
I'm constantly fascinated by the regionality of music, even here in the States.  Sammy Hagar talked about that; he could headline arenas in some regions of the country, and couldn't get an opening act slot in others.  I remember back in the day, bands like Rainbow, Sabbath, Ozzy would all talk about "San Antonio" and how awesome it was (well, it is!).  Sabbath and Rainbow both did live albums there. They must have been RABID for their metal at that point.

Add Triumph to that list (and they were pretty damn huge the first half of the 80s).  They always talked about Texas -- and SAT in particular -- as a hotbed for them.

But yeah...the Twisted Sister/Motley Crue dichotomy that we've posted about more than once is probably the best illustration of the regional thing.  Unfortunately for me, I tended not to like LA metal bands much.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »
Regions definitely play a role.

And I can say from my grade school experience in the 90s, there were lots more Metallica fans than IM fans.  Not sure why it's a surprise, Metallica is a bigger band than IM, one of very few that can say that in metal and its because Metallica transcends beyond just the metal fans.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2019, 12:12:33 PM »
After Seventh Son the fanbase dropped off here in America.  Maybe someone from Europe can chime in but I thought they were still strong there.  This is when Metallica was becoming huge.  Now IM had a resurgence here in the US with the big lineup.  At least that's what I remember.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »
Yea I get that, I think it just seems that once Metallica got big, they were always bigger than IM after that. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2019, 12:41:34 PM »
Yea I get that, I think it just seems that once Metallica got big, they were always bigger than IM after that.

Defiantly.

Any band that can fill football stadiums are more popular.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2019, 12:44:03 PM »
I was not comparing U2 with Maiden, but Metallica with Maiden. Maiden and U2 are totally dissimilar and incomparable.
U2 is one of the most polarizing bands of all time, Iron Maiden is far from that.

How is U2 polarizing? How is Iron Maiden not? I don't understand.

Iron Maiden ... don't have one single song in their catalog that sounds like Where The Streets Have No Name, and say what you want about U2 or that song, that song has a vibe Iron Maiden can only dream of replicating. 

U2 doesn't have a single song in their catalog that sounds like The Number Of the Beast.
Can U2 replicate vibe of The Talisman, which the hairs on my neck stand up for.

I only introduced U2 into the conversation because of Kev's dissing Iron Maiden. He feels the same way about them as I do about Iron Maiden. Even though I am not into U2, I feel like the two bands are on very similar planes.

After Seventh Son the fanbase dropped off here in America.  Maybe someone from Europe can chime in but I thought they were still strong there.  This is when Metallica was becoming huge.  Now IM had a resurgence here in the US with the big lineup.  At least that's what I remember.

You're right about the timing. Metallica really broke in 1988-89. I think the keyboards really started the questioning of Iron Maiden and where they were headed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2019, 01:17:11 PM »
Iron Maiden ... don't have one single song in their catalog that sounds like Where The Streets Have No Name, and say what you want about U2 or that song, that song has a vibe Iron Maiden can only dream of replicating. 

U2 doesn't have a single song in their catalog that sounds like The Number Of the Beast.
Can U2 replicate vibe of The Talisman, which the hairs on my neck stand up for.

Brother, that's my whole point. :) Both bands do their own thing and they do it well. Doesn't accomplish anything to call some of them inferior to one another, as I was responding to, because they aim to do different things with their music.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2019, 03:55:31 PM »
After Seventh Son the fanbase dropped off here in America.  Maybe someone from Europe can chime in but I thought they were still strong there.

Gladly. Right after Seventh Son they were absolutely peaking here. Metallica got them with Justice and eventually overtook them with the Black Album, but they kept going strong and I'd like to add that the Fear of the Dark tour was a huge success, spawning a live album (containing a version of Heaven Can Wait recorded at my very first Maiden show) and another very successful tour.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »

Kev, you know way too much about music to make such a ridiculous claim.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I only introduced U2 into the conversation because of Kev's dissing Iron Maiden. He feels the same way about them as I do about Iron Maiden. Even though I am not into U2, I feel like the two bands are on very similar planes.

I will admit that some of my "dissing" of Maiden was slightly tongue in cheek, although I stand by my comment that Metallica's best 4-5 albums are better than any by Maiden.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2019, 07:20:31 PM »
That's a fair opinion to have. I would never try and argue that. Metallica's first 4 or 5 albums are legendary.

But I still find that the two albums in this poll are the two weakest of each band's respective era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2019, 12:44:22 AM »
Powerslave.

Both are monster albums that are part of my core metal DNA and I've quoted both as my favourites of my favourite bands at various points and played them both to death in the late 80s. But Metallica get played rarely by me now. Love em when I do but it is very unusual. Maiden still fresh.

Two Minutes is the only track from Powerslave I could happily never hear again. I've never thought it had any filler, though. I just heard TMTM out. Village, Flash, Duellists and Losfer are fantastic to these ears. This is the album of Maiden, the greatest metal band of all time, at the top of their game.

RTL is great. The sound! The guitars sound like someone sawing wood crossed with a alsatian barking. It's incredible. And the intro from FFWF into the main riff is just one of those moments. But generally I find Metallica lacking a certain something these days. They've not aged for me as well as Slayer or Anthrax or even Exodus. Not sure exactly why. In my prime love for them i felt that everything was so perfectly placed together. It might be that quality that i find slightly "plodding" for want of a better word these days. It's lacking energy slightly for me.

So, yeah.

EDIT: Escape is great and > Trapped Under Ice
EDIT2: FWTBT is one of the greatest and heaviest things ever recorded.
EDIT3: This really is an excellent poll and has had me scratching my head since i woke today!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 02:06:53 AM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2019, 06:56:32 AM »
"Back in the Village" might very well be Maiden's weakest '80s song.

Feel free to call them back to tell them they're welcome.  :lol

I don't have any problems with "...Long Distance Runner" - not the strongest track on that record, but I like it just fine. "Back in the Village" on the other hand has that annoying chorus. One repeated, drawn-out line. The same idea later used on "Heaven Can Wait", to similar effect.  "Heaven Can Wa-aa-ait, Heaven Can Wa-aa-ait, Heaven Can Wa-aa-ait...

"Gangland" is the weakest song on its album, sure, but Clive keeps it rolling along nicely. Oh, and the album in question just so happens to be The Number of the Beast!  :metal Weakest song on NOTB doesn't mean much.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
It's interesting how is a one-hit album AJFA (One) such a huge seller in the US. It has sold over 8 million copies, it has outsold both previous Metallica records Master and Ride (both 6 Platinum) and it has outsold entire 80's Iron Maiden and Judas Priest discography. It's the second best-selling metal album in America, behind the Black album. It seems there is a very big number of American non-metal fans who bought that album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »
 I would go so far as to say that after Powerslave their following started to drop off in America.

In America, in the 80s, it was a mortal sin for any metal band to use synthesizers.  When Judas Priest released Turbo and Iron Maiden released Somewhere in Time both in 86, there was a great many metal fans who felt completely ripped off. It was this sense of “disenchantment” that directly led to the explosion of popularity with “the big 4” of thrash.

And it wasn’t just Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Ozzy Osbourne and Mötley Crüe had also just released synth heavy “glam” style albums with The Ultimate Sin and Theater of Pain.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2019, 10:38:52 AM »
I would go so far as to say that after Powerslave their following started to drop off in America.

In America, in the 80s, it was a mortal sin for any metal band to use synthesizers.  When Judas Priest released Turbo and Iron Maiden released Somewhere in Time both in 86, there was a great many metal fans who felt completely ripped off. It was this sense of “disenchantment” that directly led to the explosion of popularity with “the big 4” of thrash.

And it wasn’t just Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Ozzy Osbourne and Mötley Crüe had also just released synth heavy “glam” style albums with The Ultimate Sin and Theater of Pain.

No offense to anyone, but that just shows how close-minded metal fans were back in the 80's.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2019, 10:40:04 AM »

No offense to anyone, but that just shows how close-minded metal fans were back in the 80's.

A lot of them still are!  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »

I don't doubt it. I would argue that anyone who listens exclusively, or even almost exclusively, to the same genre is someone whose opinion of music should not be not taken seriously.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »
I agree 100% :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »

Agreed.   I mean, I was 16 at the time, and I will confess that, at that age, I was full of piss and vinegar and wanted nothing to do with bands that would "wuss out" like that.  Thrash was exactly what I needed to fill the void.   From about 1985 on, I almost exclusively listened to bands that were on Metal Blade, Combat, Megaforce, or Shrapnel records.    But come on...I was 16.      What really bothers me is that Iron Maiden comes to the US today, there are still 40 and 50 year old guys that want nothing to do with anything past Powerslave.      I don't blame Bruce for getting slightly irritated at US fans who only want to hear the first 4 or 5 albums and nothing else. 

The only issue that I have with the post-PS today is not with the synths, but with the lazy choruses.    It was SiT and forward when repeating the name of the song 8 times for the chorus became more common.   I swear that if Run to the Hills had been written post reunion, it would be:

Run tooooo the hiiiiiilllllsssss
Run TOOOOO the HHIIIIILLLLSSSSSS
Run toooooo the hiiiiiiiillllllssssss
Run....TOOO....THE.....HIIIIIIILLLLLSSSSSSSSSS
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »

The only issue that I have with the post-PS today is not with the synths, but with the lazy choruses. It was SiT and forward when repeating the name of the song 8 times for the chorus became more common.   I swear that if Run to the Hills had been written post reunion, it would be:

Run tooooo the hiiiiiilllllsssss
Run TOOOOO the HHIIIIILLLLSSSSSS
Run toooooo the hiiiiiiiillllllssssss
Run....TOOO....THE.....HIIIIIIILLLLLSSSSSSSSSS

I totally imagine that, that would be awful  ;D