Poll

Metal clash from 1984: Powerslave or Ride the Lightning?

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
45 (51.7%)
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
42 (48.3%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Metal clash from 1984: Powerslave or Ride the Lightning?  (Read 7255 times)

Offline WildRanger

Metal clash from 1984: Powerslave or Ride the Lightning?
« on: April 10, 2019, 11:42:36 AM »
What's gonna win between these two very popular metal classics?

Although RTL is my favorite Metallica album, I'd easily take my favorite Maiden album over it.

Offline Art

Re: Metal clash from 1984: Powerslave or Ride the Lightning?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:43:17 AM »
Powerslave

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:44:26 AM »
I'd normally side with Maiden any day of the week, but in this particular matchup I give the edge to RTL because unlike Powerslave it has no filler.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:49:01 AM »
I think I like RTL more than most Metallica fans (it may be my favorite album of theirs) but man Powerslave is great and it's from my favorite band so I give it the slight edge.  Rime of the Ancient Mariner is the best song on either album.  Powerslave does have some filler though, that's what makes this a bit closer.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:52:57 AM »
I'd normally side with Maiden any day of the week, but in this particular matchup I give the edge to RTL because unlike Powerslave it has no filler.

And filler on Powerslave is?
To me Escape is filler on RTL.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 11:56:24 AM »
RTL, easily.  Solid album from start to finish.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is the best song on either album.  Powerslave does have some filler though, that's what makes this a bit closer.

LOTS of filler.  But the rest is so awesome.  I mean, Two Minutes, Powerslave, and Rime are top notch.  Aces High is okay with some very good moments.  But the rest of the album is probably some of the weakest material they've ever done in Bruce's tenure with the band.  VERY inconsistent album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
This isn't even close. 

I could live with "The Duellists" being called filler, but that second side (I first got Powerslave on vinyl) might be the best album side in Maiden history.   

(I will note that the studio b-sides for that album are as good as what's on the record.   Some c***'s recording this....)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »
I really only consider Back to the Village as filler, maybe Flash of the Blade (although I really dig it) and losfer words is not the greatest instrumental so I understand if it gets lumped as filler.  The dualist is way too good to be considered filler. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »
This isn't even close. 

I could live with "The Duellists" being called filler, but that second side (I first got Powerslave on vinyl) might be the best album side in Maiden history.   

(I will note that the studio b-sides for that album are as good as what's on the record.   Some c***'s recording this....)
Well, the "second side" is only three songs, two of which I mentioned as being pretty awesome.  But if you honestly think the four songs I did not put on my list deserved to even make it onto the album and not end up on the cutting room floor, I don't know what to tell you, and I suspect MUCH more drug use during the '80s than you have let on.  :lol  They are just SO laughably bad.

I can't speak to the B-sides because I haven't heard them, other than Mission.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »
Ride the Lightning

Very tough choice, but that album just crushes you from start to finish. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »
Powerslave really is an incredible record, but Back in the Village, Losfer Words, and The Duellists? I've listened to Maiden almost my entire life and I still couldn't tell you a thing about those tracks. All of the rest? Top tier Maiden.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 12:28:31 PM »
Powerslave really is an incredible record, but Back in the Village, Losfer Words, and The Duellists? I've listened to Maiden almost my entire life and I still couldn't tell you a thing about those tracks. All of the rest? Top tier Maiden.

The duelist and the dueling guitars?! How am I the only one that loves the lyrics about the dueling swords combined with that awesome instrumental section with dueling guitars?  Cheesy? Sure, but that's a fantastic song.  I find it so hard to consider it filler.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 12:29:43 PM »

I guess I can forgive you liking Flash of the Blade, even though for me, it falls in the same category as the other three you listed.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 12:30:16 PM »
RTL, no doubt.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »

I guess I can forgive you liking Flash of the Blade, even though for me, it falls in the same category as the other three you listed.

But... Flash of the Blade is good!  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »

I wouldn't worry about it.  I think it's really just more of a regional issue, that's all.  I know that in some parts of the country, they pronounce the phrase "laughably bad" in a way that sounds a lot like the word "good." 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »

I'm against changing the original meaning of the world "filler", aside from that.... what he said.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 12:39:55 PM »

The duelist and the dueling guitars?! How am I the only one that loves the lyrics about the dueling swords combined with that awesome instrumental section with dueling guitars?  Cheesy? Sure, but that's a fantastic song.  I find it so hard to consider it filler.

Cram, I absolutely LOVE The Duelist, and after the title track, it's my 2nd favorite song on the album. That extended guitar solo section is awesome.

To me, RTL is easily the weakest of the first 4 Metallica albums. I kind of feel the same way about Powerslave in that it's my least favorite 80's Bruce Era album.

Both albums have aged pretty well. though. Tough choice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 12:40:12 PM »
Hmmm....

RTL
Fight - 2.5
Ride - 2.5
Bell - 4
Fade - 4
Trapped - 3
Escape - 2
Creep - 5
Ktulu - 5
Average - 3.5

Powerslave
Aces - 5
Midnight - 4
Losfer - 3
Flash - 3
Duelists - 3.5
Village - 1
Powerslave - 4.5
Rime - 4.5
Average - 3.56

So there you have it...by the slimmest of margins.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online DTA

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »
Lightning. Losfer Words drops Powerslave a bit, but they're both incredibly good albums.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »

I wouldn't worry about it.  I think it's really just more of a regional issue, that's all.  I know that in some parts of the country, they pronounce the phrase "laughably bad" in a way that sounds a lot like the word "good."

Smartass. :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »

Back in the Village for sure.  Worst song on either album.  Escape fits the definition as well.

I might score The Duelists higher if Flash of the Blade didn't exist.  Two sword fighting songs in a row kinda gets tedious, but The Duelists is definitely the more memorable song for me
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
This isn't even close. 

Well, the "second side" is only three songs, two of which I mentioned as being pretty awesome.  But if you honestly think the four songs I did not put on my list deserved to even make it onto the album and not end up on the cutting room floor, I don't know what to tell you, and I suspect MUCH more drug use during the '80s than you have let on.  :lol  They are just SO laughably bad.

I can't speak to the B-sides because I haven't heard them, other than Mission.

This is really a general reply, since I'm CLEARLY in the minority, but I LOVE "Back In The Village".  I love that opening riff/lick, and it's (lyrically) a sequel of sorts to The Prisoner.   I think it's excellent. 

(Oh, and I confused The Duelist with Flash Of The Blade.  I like the former, I could do without the latter.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 12:53:04 PM »

I missed this. Already detailed the Powerslave filler to me; Duellists, Village, Losfer.

For years, I put Fight Fire With Fire and The Call of Ktulu as 'filler' on RTL. It wasn't until my late teens that they finally clicked. I'm fond of Escape. (And Rhapsody's cover of Flash of the Blade!  :loser:)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 12:54:42 PM »
@Stadler (and others):  By all means, like it all you want.  I'm just giving people crap.  I went into a lot more detail MANY pages ago in the Maiden thread.  But since becoming a fan, which was relatively VERY late, I've never understood the love for Powerslave as a full album because I clearly feel a VERY steep dropoff in quality between the four top songs and the remaining songs.  I know that I'm actually in the minority on that one, but it is what it is.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 12:55:01 PM »
Ride the Lightning for me, easily, a perfect album (RTL-MOP-AJFA are totally perfect for me, I absolutely love every song).

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »
Powerslave really is an incredible record, but Back in the Village, Losfer Words, and The Duellists?

Losfer Words > The Call of Ktulu

I honestly think that Metallica instrumentals (Anesthesia, Ktulu, Orion and To Live Is to Die) are overrated and Iron Maiden instrumentals (Transylvania, Genghis Khan, Losfer Words) are underrated.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 01:01:07 PM »
Powerslave really is an incredible record, but Back in the Village, Losfer Words, and The Duellists?

I honestly think that Metallica instrumentals (Anesthesia, Ktulu, Orion and To Live Is to Die) are overrated and Iron Maiden instrumentals (Transylvania, Genghis Khan, Losfer Words) are underrated.

Honestly not a huge fan of either band's instrumentals.  Orion is maybe the best then Transylvania and the rest are mostly meh.  Losfer Words and Ktulu is like a toss up.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 01:01:27 PM »
Powerslave all the way and back. Probably because I'm an avid Maiden fan and Metallica are just solid with some flashes of brilliance in my book.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 01:02:39 PM »
@Stadler (and others):  By all means, like it all you want.  I'm just giving people crap.  I went into a lot more detail MANY pages ago in the Maiden thread.  But since becoming a fan, which was relatively VERY late, I've never understood the love for Powerslave as a full album because I clearly feel a VERY steep dropoff in quality between the four top songs and the remaining songs.  I know that I'm actually in the minority on that one, but it is what it is.

This is a general weakness about this album, and to me, it has every bit as much to do with what people consider the "top" songs as it does with the "bottom".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »
RtL doesn't have Rime of the Ancient Mariner so, yeah, Powerslave it is.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »
Powerslave. I don’t care what anyone thinks, it doesn’t have any weak song/filler. A 10/10 album. RTL is a 9.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2019, 03:06:10 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA No.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »
Powerslave. I don’t care what anyone thinks, it doesn’t have any weak song/filler. A 10/10 album.

HAHAHAHAHAHA No.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2019, 03:32:28 PM »
Only filler track is Back in the Village. Everything else is a gem. RtL is great, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend Escape isn't one of the drabbest Metallica cuts of its time.