Author Topic: Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot  (Read 727 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:09:02 AM »
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but it's one of my favorite, if not my favorite words of his. For those who don't know, the speech linked below is what inspired the PBD on DT's newest album, and if you were to look up the lyrics to the song, you can see the obvious influences.

Just thought I'd share this because I find myself looking this video (or one of the other variations) up every now and again when I feel like life is overwhelming or I'm having a really shitty day. It never fails to make the hair on my arms stand up, and I think it's something everyone should see if they haven't already :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWPFmdAWRZ0
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:29:59 AM by Chino »

Online MirrorMask

Re: Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 09:15:57 AM »
One of my favorite speeches / musings ever.

I wish it would be printed and hung in the office of every head of state on the planet. It explains why I love astronomy, it's exciting, adventurous and yet it teaches humbleness and humility.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »
It's a pretty neat speech.  Taking the words at face value, there are some really awesome thoughts in there, and it definitely challenges the reader/hearer to alter his/her perspective and approach life with humility at our own smallness in the universe.  The problem for me is that, knowing that he is coming at it from an agnostic viewpoint and actually having a particular agenda behind the words themselves takes a bit away from it for me.  But I can still largely ignore that and appreciate the words themselves.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 05:21:30 AM »
Sagan has always been one of my heroes. He's the one that got me really fascinated and inspired by astro physics, and pale blue dot is a book I really enjoy.

We sometimes can be so wrapped up in ourselves, but that book really puts stuff into perspective for me. Our world is a spec of dust in an infinite ocean of stars.