Poll

Iron Maiden POLL: Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?

Piece of Mind
32 (38.6%)
Somewhere in Time
51 (61.4%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Iron Maiden POLL: Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Cruithne

Re: Iron Maiden POLL: Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2020, 02:19:05 AM »
I remember Steve saying something like he didn't like the slow tempo of Flight Of Icarus on the album. They play it faster live, and he likes it much better that way.

Flight Of Icarus is belabored, Revelations sounds positively turgid. A couple of other songs drag a little too, iirc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2020, 10:52:00 AM »
I remember Steve saying something like he didn't like the slow tempo of Flight Of Icarus on the album. They play it faster live, and he likes it much better that way.

Flight Of Icarus is belabored, Revelations sounds positively turgid. A couple of other songs drag a little too, iirc.

I became familiar with Icarus as a result of the video on MTV.  I then bought the album.  I didn't care too much for Revelations at first, but I really liked the Live After Death version and eventually came around to liking the studio version.  However, I still find the live version more appealing, and a lot of that is the faster tempo.  However, I find the live version of Icarus to be a bit rushed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2020, 03:07:58 PM »
I voted pom but love them both.

The sound of SIT is fantastic. Guitar tones are really tasty and kinda polished but really powerful. I'd love it if they could record a record this great sounding again.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #73 on: February 29, 2020, 08:50:01 PM »
I went with PoM because of the more raw sound, especially guitars.  I love SiT, but the very polished production, keyboard effects, and smooth guitar sounds turned me off a tad.
Never really got into another Maiden album after SiT.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2020, 06:24:53 AM »

Between "rizza paper" and "according to Hoyle," I'm starting to feel like some of y'all are speaking a different language!

Rizza Paper.  Most popular (in the UK) brand of rolling paper using for making hand rolled Cigarettes or Joints.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2021, 01:25:54 PM »
Guitar solos on SIT >> guitar solos on POM

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2021, 02:23:06 PM »
No contest for me. pice of Mind. Better songs, better production. SIT only wins on the cover.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2021, 12:35:33 AM »
Hard to pick any of those 5 albums with Bruce in the 1980's, they are all so good and have stood the test of time by still sound great and not aging.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2021, 03:14:25 AM »
Totally agree with the post above. Love all the Bruce 80s albums, just too hard to separate.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2021, 03:27:12 AM »
For me Piece of Mind while great was always the weakest out of their classic run. There's still great stuff on it like Where Eagles Dare, Revelations and The Trooper, but there's a couple of duds and I think it's let down by the second half a little bit. (Still some good songs in the second half though)

Somewhere in Time for me was always the underrated one out of the classics and I love the atmosphere of it. Futuristic Eddie, the added synths in the sound and it just felt like such a nice follow up to Powerslave (going from ancient Egypt to the future). You could argue out of their classic albums it's perhaps the lightest on hit songs (though Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait are both catchy imo) but I feel it makes up for it with the deep cuts.

So yeah for me, Somewhere in Time > Piece of Mind.

Offline 425

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2021, 08:21:33 AM »
I love it when WildRanger bumps his own year + old thread to add some comment that responds to nothing in particular, and then people ignore the WildRanger bump and just continue responding to the original topic.

So I'll do the same: For me, it's Piece of Mind. The run from Where Eagles Dare to The Trooper is perhaps the best five-song run of 80s Maiden (the other top candidate would be The Evil That Men Do through Only the Good Die Young), and then the album also has To Tame a Land. SiT is also very strong, and probably comes in right behind PoM as my third-favorite 80s Maiden album (Seventh Son is my #1), but I think it's just below the level of PoM due to Heaven Can Wait and Deja Vu.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2021, 09:05:54 AM »
I have a bunch of love for Piece of Mind, it was the first 80s Maiden album I sunk my teeth into. However, Somewhere in Time is the clear victor for my personal tastes -- not one of the songs gets less than a 9,5/10 rating for me. Clear contender for my favorite overall as well along with Dance of Death.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »
I love it when WildRanger bumps his own year + old thread to add some comment that responds to nothing in particular, and then people ignore the WildRanger bump and just continue responding to the original topic.

:lol :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2021, 02:17:42 PM »
Somewhere in Time

Aside from Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, every other song on that record kicks ass.  Especially Deja Vu.   :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2021, 04:57:41 PM »
Somewhere in Time

Aside from Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, every other song on that record kicks ass.  Especially Deja Vu.   :metal

I love Deja Vu.  I think of it in the same vein as Sun and Steel -- relatively short songs that pack a lot in a little bit of space.  I rank Sun and Steel higher because of the guitar solo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2021, 08:23:44 AM »
I'm a big fan of Deja Vu

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »
I'm a big fan of Deja Vu

Yes so am I, love the excitingly catchy chorus of:
Feels like I've heard this chorus before been here before x 4/6/8  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2021, 03:20:07 PM »
I'm a big fan of Deja Vu

Yes so am I, love the excitingly catchy chorus of:
Feels like I've heard this chorus before been here before x 4/6/8  ;D

:lol it also helps that I think the concept and feeling of deja vu is so freaky. Love how IM made a song about it and it's super fun and catchy.