Author Topic: The Barbecue Thread  (Read 38014 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Barbecue Thread
« Reply #315 on: September 16, 2020, 04:31:29 PM »
Why wouldn't you call it a burger?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #316 on: September 16, 2020, 05:48:21 PM »
Why wouldn't you call it a burger?
Well, for one thing I think a burger has to be made of ground beef. I gather that's sausage. Snuffers down the street from me does an amazing chicken sandwich that, aside from the meat, is otherwise indistinguishable for their very good burger. It's a chicken sandwich. It's not a burger. Also, in this case it also appears to be encroaching on an entirely different dish. That appears to be bratwurst on a pretzel roll with some sort of giardiniera and possible mustard. That strikes me as a sandwich you'd get in a pub somewhere in Chicago, or perhaps Philadelphia.

Now, if it turns out that's a blend of ground beef and sausage then the lines become totally blurred. I guess it wouldn't be a foul to call it a burger, but it's pretty damned far outside the realm of, well, normal burgerness.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: September 16, 2020, 05:58:30 PM »
While I traditionally associate burgers with ground beef, I'm not entirely sure I agree that it matters as long as it's ground meat.  For me, I think being ground meat is more important than the type of meat to describe a burger.  Toppings are meaningless in terms of being a burger as well.

If that sandwich was found in Chicago or Philly, you think it wouldn't be listed under the burgers section of the menu?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #318 on: September 16, 2020, 07:20:17 PM »
While I traditionally associate burgers with ground beef, I'm not entirely sure I agree that it matters as long as it's ground meat.  For me, I think being ground meat is more important than the type of meat to describe a burger.  Toppings are meaningless in terms of being a burger as well.

If that sandwich was found in Chicago or Philly, you think it wouldn't be listed under the burgers section of the menu?
I actually considered that very point, and I don't think it would. I can't really speak for y'alls neck of the woods, it's not my neighborhood, but down here it would be listed under sandwiches. I'm kind of seeing your point, though. Ground meat, and the way it's prepared (broiling or frying) are probably more important than what the meat is. As I think about it I've got no such problem with buffalo meat, or even fake meat being burgers. I guess my hangup is really just that it's sausage, and sausage is a different thing to me. Would you still consider a patty made of ground chorizo to be a burger? Breakfast sausage? Italian? A typical hamburger is cow flavored. Maybe in my example bison flavored. Even the Beyond burger is supposed to tase like cow. Sausage doesn't taste like pig, though. It tastes like all of the herbs and spices that went into it.

I'm not married to this position, mind you. Perhaps I'm being too focused on my own norms. Calling it a burger just seems highly questionable to me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #319 on: September 16, 2020, 07:46:56 PM »
I think most places in CT would call that a burger but prefix it with some catchy name.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2020, 06:23:40 AM »
Here's a Bratwurst beer-can burger on one from a month or so back:

There's no way I can in good conscience call this a burger, but God damn I want to eat one of them, though,  whatever it is. That looks fantastic.

Are you familiar with the beer-can burger concept?

Usually ground beef formed into a ball, then a beer can smashed into it to create a bowl for filling, wrapped with bacon. My basic one is crumbled-cooked bacon and caramelized onions. Smoke at 300 for about an hour, top with cheddar for the last 15 minutes.
For the one pictured above, I took the basic concept of cooking brats in a beer-butter bath and turned it inside out; Bratwurst meat taken out of the casing to form the burger bowl, and filled with kraut, bell peppers, and onions that were cooked in beer and butter. Topped with a cheddar-beer sauce.

A few more shots of the process:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2020, 08:11:52 AM »

I actually considered that very point, and I don't think it would. I can't really speak for y'alls neck of the woods, it's not my neighborhood, but down here it would be listed under sandwiches. I'm kind of seeing your point, though. Ground meat, and the way it's prepared (broiling or frying) are probably more important than what the meat is. As I think about it I've got no such problem with buffalo meat, or even fake meat being burgers. I guess my hangup is really just that it's sausage, and sausage is a different thing to me. Would you still consider a patty made of ground chorizo to be a burger? Breakfast sausage? Italian? A typical hamburger is cow flavored. Maybe in my example bison flavored. Even the Beyond burger is supposed to tase like cow. Sausage doesn't taste like pig, though. It tastes like all of the herbs and spices that went into it.

I'm not married to this position, mind you. Perhaps I'm being too focused on my own norms. Calling it a burger just seems highly questionable to me.

I'm not sure I have a firm ground on my side of the argument either, I just didn't even think it wasn't a burger until you said so which lead us down this path.  I do think the sausage part makes it a bit more questionable, but when I look at it, it looks like a burger because it's ground.

I think most places in CT would call that a burger but prefix it with some catchy name.

I think it would be under the burger section with some name as well.  Chicken burgers and veggie burgers are listed under burgers so I don't see why a sausage based one would be different.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2020, 08:20:50 AM »

Hot damn. I want to do that but drop an egg in the middle.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2020, 08:28:44 AM »

Usually ground beef formed into a ball, then a beer can smashed into it to create a bowl for filling, wrapped with bacon. My basic one is crumbled-cooked bacon and caramelized onions. Smoke at 300 for about an hour, top with cheddar for the last 15 minutes.
For the one pictured above, I took the basic concept of cooking brats in a beer-butter bath and turned it inside out; Bratwurst meat taken out of the casing to form the burger bowl, and filled with kraut, bell peppers, and onions that were cooked in beer and butter. Topped with a cheddar-beer sauce.

I was not, but I was curious. Not sure it changes my thinking on the matter, but it still looks damn good.

Out of curiosity, especially if you do it with ground beef, doesn't it create a small kiddie-pool full of grease?
E.F. Benson

« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2020, 08:41:43 AM »

Hot damn. I want to do that but drop an egg in the middle.

These were filled with bacon and Taylor Ham (aka pork roll in South Jersey). Added the egg for the last half hour of smoking:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2020, 08:41:53 AM »
I had to look up the "beer-can burger" too, but it looks good.   

I lean towards Bart on this; I think it depends on the place, but a place like Philly, that is big on the "gastro-pub" thing, that would not be a burger.   But your local sports bar here in CT?  Even the chicken sandwiches are found under "burger" category, which kind of distorts things.   

« Reply #326 on: September 17, 2020, 08:44:06 AM »

I was not, but I was curious. Not sure it changes my thinking on the matter, but it still looks damn good.

Out of curiosity, especially if you do it with ground beef, doesn't it create a small kiddie-pool full of grease?
I used to tip them before the cheese is added, but now I usually poke a hole through the bottom with a wooden skewer a couple of times during the process. The foil underneath is to catch the grease.

« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »
The originators of the beer-can burger:

https://youtu.be/Hq2kmbI_1EA

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #328 on: September 17, 2020, 09:01:48 AM »

These were filled with bacon and Taylor Ham (aka pork roll in South Jersey). Added the egg for the last half hour of smoking:

What was your process?

« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »

What was your process?

Similar to this link, but I used beef instead of breakfast sausage, and I didn't leave enough room for the egg and some of it ran out.
He also suggests reserving the yolk and adding it towards the end for a runny yolk, which I didn't do.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/beer-can-breakfast-burgers/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #330 on: September 17, 2020, 10:09:21 AM »
As someone who makes "Juicy Lucy's" for my kids, I might look into this a little more.   Might be fun.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: September 17, 2020, 10:12:45 AM »

Holy shit these look amazing. I just ate and now I'm hungry again.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: September 17, 2020, 10:19:41 AM »
These were filled with bacon and Taylor Ham (aka pork roll in South Jersey).

Wait, you are doing this in NJ?  I'm coming over for some, these look delicious, I'll bring a case of beer

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #333 on: September 17, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »

Wait, you are doing this in NJ?  I'm coming over for some, these look delicious, I'll bring a case of beer

I'll swing down from CT. I'll put the power inverter in my car and sous vide some ribeyes on the way.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2020, 11:03:38 AM »
I should not be browsing this thread, it always makes me hungry.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2020, 12:08:39 PM »

Yes sir. Union County, 908

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #336 on: September 21, 2020, 08:00:09 AM »
I know I'm an asshole for not getting a single picture, but I made a pair of MS8 Wagyu ribeyes last night..... Oh my

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #337 on: September 21, 2020, 10:20:24 AM »
I know I'm an asshole for not getting a single picture, but I made a pair of MS8 Wagyu ribeyes last night..... Oh my

You grill or pan sear them? I'm not a fan of grilling meat with that level of marbling personally

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #338 on: September 21, 2020, 10:43:59 AM »

You grill or pan sear them? I'm not a fan of grilling meat with that level of marbling personally

I cooked them in the sous vide then did a quick sear on the weber. I don't know how to do anything in cast iron.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: September 21, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »

I cooked them in the sous vide then did a quick sear on the weber. I don't know how to do anything in cast iron.

I seared a steak in my new cast iron a couple weeks ago, really simple actually. My pan was preseasoned though, although the instructions to re-season it seem simple enough if needed.  Now that it's getting colder out and my grilling will slow down, I think I'll be using my new cast iron a lot more.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #340 on: September 21, 2020, 12:50:27 PM »
Seasoning a cast iron is easy af, just wipe it heavily with oil and stick it in a 350 oven for 90 minutes. Here's a decent vid on a goodteak technique that'll kill with the wagyu, I've done it before many times and it's amazing...

https://youtu.be/kbpIYAnt-7k

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #341 on: September 22, 2020, 06:06:34 AM »
Yeah, I don't know what it is about that method, but it's just not for me. I've tried cooking two other steaks like that (admittedly a shitty grade for test purposes) and I just couldn't figure it out. I also really like the flavor that lump charcoal produces. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2020, 06:37:35 AM »
I have a cast iron grill pan on my stove that I'm going to move out to my grill and sear a steak. My question is for steak can the grill be too hot? My grill gets up to around 900F if I crank it up.

Also this:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #343 on: September 23, 2020, 08:19:20 AM »
Yeah, I don't know what it is about that method, but it's just not for me. I've tried cooking two other steaks like that (admittedly a shitty grade for test purposes) and I just couldn't figure it out. I also really like the flavor that lump charcoal produces.
Yeah, not how I'd do it. However, I'm pretty cool with cooking a steak on cast iron. While I don't recall the specifics, my technique was something like heating the pan up to 450 in the oven while preheating the stove, searing the steaks 1 minute per side on the stove (on high), and then putting it back in the oven to finish it off to the right internal temp. Something like 90 seconds. Simple, and came out perfect every time.

Also, it sure seems like he'd incinerate that butter if the skillet were hot enough to do a good job on those steaks. Ghee's cheap, and it's always useful to keep in the fridge.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #344 on: September 26, 2020, 05:49:56 AM »
I've got a sous vide, and cast iron pans/flat grill on my birthday and Christmas list thanks to you fuckers!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2020, 06:33:28 AM »

Yes sir. Union County, 908

Oh shit, county neighbors. Essex over here.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2020, 01:42:38 PM »
I've got a sous vide, and cast iron pans/flat grill on my birthday and Christmas list thanks to you fuckers!

So I can expect lots of messages starting on the 26th?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2020, 04:03:27 PM »
Just going by Thanksgiving I figured Canadian Christmas is sometime in November
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2020, 09:06:26 PM »

That joke will never get old.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #349 on: September 27, 2020, 06:15:37 AM »

That joke will never get old.

Just realize this was the pinnacle of your humour.  You'll never have anything as good as this ever.  Marinate in that for a while.

And, birthday is in November ... so the texting might be YOUR early Christmas gift.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion