Author Topic: The Barbecue Thread  (Read 38880 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Barbecue Thread
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2020, 09:28:30 AM »
On a tangential note, I tried making smashburgers for the very first time and have to say it's so much easier than grilling them. I don't know if I'll ever go back to grilling burgers the traditional way. This way was so much easier and quicker. And so tender and juicy as well. Just used pink salt and pepper while cooking and it was sublime.

I freaking love smash burgers. I know it's probably sacrilege to some, but I like putting it on white bread grilled in a buttered pan... basically a grilled cheese sandwich with smashed burger in it.

#drool

I love burgers, but rarely ever make them myself. I suck at them. So when I do, I do it smash style because it's so forgiving.

Online faizoff

« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2020, 09:34:54 AM »
That looks amazing, I don't mind it on regular white bread. The type of bread makes a world of a difference and I don't mind it if it's a bun or just a regular loaf.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2020, 10:16:26 AM »
On a tangential note, I tried making smashburgers for the very first time and have to say it's so much easier than grilling them. I don't know if I'll ever go back to grilling burgers the traditional way. This way was so much easier and quicker. And so tender and juicy as well. Just used pink salt and pepper while cooking and it was sublime.

I've never heard of this.  What is involved in "making smashburgers"?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2020, 10:24:28 AM »

You basically take a ball of minced/chopped meat and place it on the grill/pan/skillet. and then smoosh it with a pot or a weight ("Smash") until it's really spread out and cook book sides. Takes like barely a couple of mins. Add any seasoning you like. I had read about it and seen it a few places on the internet so was curious to try it out myself.

This is the video I saw when I first searched for it on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwgn5k_TzKM

Super easy stuff.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2020, 10:27:48 AM »

You basically take a ball of minced/chopped meat and place it on the grill/pan/skillet. and then smoosh it with a pot or a weight ("Smash") until it's really spread out and cook book sides. Takes like barely a couple of mins. Add any seasoning you like. I had read and seen a few places on the internet so was curious to try it out myself.

This is the video I saw when I first searched for it on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwgn5k_TzKM

Super easy stuff.

Cool!  I'll check it out.  Thanks.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »
If you guys have time, watch the series Chef's Table- BBQ on Netflix, it'll give you culinary boners you didn't even know you had. Fantastic stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2020, 06:21:46 PM »

Oh, damn...best fucking burger I ever made!  I put my cast iron griddle on my gas grill.  Brioche buns from the store (my son was going to make homemade buns, but it's too damn hot to turn on the oven).  Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a pinch of paprika.  I watched the video above and one by a guy named Guga.  So damn good!  The picture doesn't do it justice.

Online faizoff

« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2020, 08:46:15 PM »

Oh, damn...best fucking burger I ever made!  I put my cast iron griddle on my gas grill.  Brioche buns from the store (my son was going to make homemade buns, but it's too damn hot to turn on the oven).  Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a pinch of paprika.  I watched the video above and one by a guy named Guga.  So damn good!  The picture doesn't do it justice.

Awesome! Looks great. I was in mood to make burgers again but decided to make pasta instead. Last time I didn't grill it on a cast iron pan I will next time. I fucking love Brioche buns.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #288 on: September 07, 2020, 03:55:14 AM »
Nice! Looks stellar.

Guga is the shit. I love that guy. He's got a separate sous vide channel of equal quality that also has over a million subscribers. He makes awesome content and drops 4-6 videos a week between the two.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #289 on: September 07, 2020, 08:14:24 AM »
Nothing more American that Brian is up before 6am on Labor Day talking about burgers. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #290 on: September 07, 2020, 09:14:02 AM »
I also cooked yesterday but I smoked them first for an hour and then seared them. My twist: I let the ground sirloin soak with Shiner Bock beer plus salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper for 24 hours.  :tup

I also smoked chicken breasts using cherry wood with a local chicken fajita seasoning. They came out a bit dry but full of flavor.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:33:11 AM by goo-goo »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
Since Cali isn't smokey enough as is, thought I'd add to the problem with some smoked chicken legs. Used the Smokin Guns rub, same brand sauce on side. Really thinking about properly developing my own rub, I've done some good ones at work.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »
Yum.  People really love their beef but chicken is my go to meat.  Love chicken leg quarters, so good and that looks delish.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2020, 11:17:38 AM »
Looks killer, RJ. Let me know when you've got some rub down. I'll throw that on some meat.

When you do quarters like the ones above, do you let them dry overnight uncovered in the fridge?

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »

I've always been an ass man myself but I have always said the key to a good burger is all about the bun!  :metal

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2020, 11:25:46 AM »
I think that holds true for all sandwiches, hot or cold. It's so easy to make an amazing sandwich just mediocre because of the bread selection. I hate (choosing beggar here, I know) when I go to a cookout and see that the person hosting spent hundreds of dollars on grill food but then went with the cheapest rolls and buns they could find. I almost always offer to bring bread if I'm going to such an event where people are expected to bring stuff. The roll can make or break the plate.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
Oh totally

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2020, 11:31:28 AM »
I think that holds true for all sandwiches, hot or cold. It's so easy to make an amazing sandwich just mediocre because of the bread selection. I hate (choosing beggar here, I know) when I go to a cookout and see that the person hosting spent hundreds of dollars on grill food but then went with the cheapest rolls and buns they could find. I almost always offer to bring bread if I'm going to such an event where people are expected to bring stuff. The roll can make or break the plate.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Seems like it might make you look like a douche, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2020, 11:58:44 AM »
That's actually a pretty good idea. Seems like it might make you look like a douche, though.

:lol :lol

I can see that. I don't go out of my way to do it, but I bundle it with my offer. A couple days out I'll say something like "Hey man, you guys needs me to bring anything this weekend? Anything in particular - rolls, chips, dips, cutlery, etc..?"

Rolls usually hits because it's something that people don't buy too far out in advanced because they don't want them to go stale.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »

A douche with good taste though! Besides, bring a 12 pack and a bottle of Fireball and ain't nobody gonna care anyway.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2020, 12:00:55 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  Spot on.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »

It depends on the style of burger for me too. If I'm grilling up some thick burgers or beer-can burgers, give me a nice brioche, or kaiser style hard roll. even a pretzel bun sometimes.
But for a thin smashed burger like the ones discussed above and shown below, I prefer a basic Martin's potato roll.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »
even a pretzel bun sometimes.

I've been doing my grocery shopping at the new Lidl near me lately.  They make fresh pretzel buns and are sooo good.  I've been making burgers on them lately and I love it.

Here's from last weekend

and since the Big10 is back, my spatula:

:metal :metal

BTW, your burgers and tots look delish as well

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2020, 12:31:09 PM »
I'm a sucker for a good tot. It's my favorite way to fry a potato. Sometimes I get really naughty and put them in my mac and cheese or on my burger.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2020, 12:50:06 PM »
even a pretzel bun sometimes.

I've been doing my grocery shopping at the new Lidl near me lately.  They make fresh pretzel buns and are sooo good.  I've been making burgers on them lately and I love it.

Here's from last weekend

and since the Big10 is back, my spatula:

:metal :metal

BTW, your burgers and tots look delish as well

Thanks.
Lidl is about the only place I can find a decent pretzel bun around here lately also. My parents were German immigrants and Dad used to get good ones at the local German butcher, but that was 30-40 years ago.

Here's a Bratwurst beer-can burger on one from a month or so back:

Oh, and, GO BUCKEYES!  ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2020, 12:53:55 PM »
wow you just knocked yourself down a peg  :biggrin:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #306 on: September 16, 2020, 12:56:18 PM »
Looks killer, RJ. Let me know when you've got some rub down. I'll throw that on some meat.

When you do quarters like the ones above, do you let them dry overnight uncovered in the fridge?

I buy air chilled, either Mary's or Rocky Jr's out here, not sure what brands you guys got, but the cost difference is minimal compared to the quality difference. I can see where drying could help the skin's crispness, but honestly with these birds I really don't see it necessary.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: September 16, 2020, 01:28:47 PM »

It depends on the style of burger for me too. If I'm grilling up some thick burgers or beer-can burgers, give me a nice brioche, or kaiser style hard roll. even a pretzel bun sometimes.
But for a thin smashed burger like the ones discussed above and shown below, I prefer a basic Martin's potato roll.

Those burgers look STELLAR my friend.  I'm a sucker for onions on my burgers.  Sometimes IN my burgers. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2020, 01:29:25 PM »

:tup :tup

I'm a sucker for onions on my burgers.  Sometimes IN my burgers.

I'm the exact opposite.  There's just something about getting a CRUNCH when you bite into a burger that makes me cringe....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: September 16, 2020, 01:53:56 PM »

Those burgers look STELLAR my friend.  I'm a sucker for onions on my burgers.  Sometimes IN my burgers.

Oh man, I love onion on a burger.  I made that same pretzel burger two weeks in a row, but the first time I didn't have onion and the second time I used some raw red onion and it made such a huge difference in taste.  Soooo good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: September 16, 2020, 02:12:29 PM »

:tup :tup

I'm a sucker for onions on my burgers.  Sometimes IN my burgers.

I'm the exact opposite.  There's just something about getting a CRUNCH when you bite into a burger that makes me cringe....

I'm flexible on that; I will eat them raw, I will saute them in butter and Madera wine, or sometimes even make a tomato/onion jam with balsamic, if I'm feeling fancy.   

I go in waves with my burgers; sometimes I like a little pizzazz (I also make what is basically a "marguerita" burger, with mozz, seared tomato, and a basil mayonnaise) sometimes I want straight forward (cheese, lettuce tomato, pickle, onion, mayo, ketchup, salt and pepper).

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #311 on: September 16, 2020, 03:08:56 PM »
You guys ever make pretzels at home? It's kind of a process, but it's worth it. I've made pretzel burger buns and hot dog rolls before and they came out awesome... bit of melted cheese on the hotdog and you're in heaven. One of these days I'd like to try baking them in one of my smokers. It'd be easy to do and I've baked bread in there before, but I'm wondering if I could use my offset stick burner kind of like a wood fired oven. I'd probably have to rotate what was baking a bit because of where the fire is.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: September 16, 2020, 03:12:15 PM »
You guys ever make pretzels at home? It's kind of a process, but it's worth it. I've made pretzel burger buns and hot dog rolls before and they came out awesome... bit of melted cheese on the hotdog and you're in heaven. One of these days I'd like to try baking them in one of my smokers. It'd be easy to do and I've baked bread in there before, but I'm wondering if I could use my offset stick burner kind of like a wood fired oven. I'd probably have to rotate what was baking a bit because of where the fire is.

I tried a few months ago, didn't come out right but still fairly tasty. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2020, 03:27:57 PM »

I tried a few months ago, didn't come out right but still fairly tasty.

I find the most challenging thing to be getting the salt amount right. I think the type of salt in addition to the amount you use heavily affects texture. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2020, 03:47:10 PM »
Here's a Bratwurst beer-can burger on one from a month or so back:

There's no way I can in good conscience call this a burger, but God damn I want to eat one of them, though,  whatever it is. That looks fantastic.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson