Author Topic: The Barbecue Thread  (Read 39293 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The Barbecue Thread
« Reply #595 on: November 27, 2021, 12:27:10 PM »
Nice, glad it was a simple solution.  :tup

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #596 on: November 30, 2021, 06:55:05 AM »
 :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: December 31, 2021, 07:07:33 AM »
So, I'm making chili verde for watching the Rose Bowl tomorrow (Go Utes!) and my plan all week was to mesquite smoke a pork shoulder today in preparation for assembling the chili tomorrow. I put the shoulder in a brine last night before bed (salt, agave nectar, garlic, oregano, and green chilis). When I woke up this morning, there was 6" of fresh snow all over everything and was still coming down. So, I had to get inventive.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #598 on: December 31, 2021, 08:51:20 AM »
:lol :hearts:  Love that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #599 on: January 11, 2022, 11:57:01 AM »
Bought my first new BBQ in just over 20 years. I had a cast iron SunShine bbq. An Australian company that lasted in North America about a month. Long enough for my step father and I to buy one. His died a couple years before mine and I was able to canabalize burners out of it. I lost count of how many relative's bbqs mine out lived. Almost like monitors. I bought an NEC monitor...and just never died.

Anyhow. They sure don't make em like they used to. For just over 1K I was able to get a BroilKing 3 burner machine. It feels like a mid to lower end unit.

We'll see how long she lasts.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #600 on: February 24, 2022, 05:51:11 AM »
Bought my first new BBQ in just over 20 years. I had a cast iron SunShine bbq. An Australian company that lasted in North America about a month. Long enough for my step father and I to buy one. His died a couple years before mine and I was able to canabalize burners out of it. I lost count of how many relative's bbqs mine out lived. Almost like monitors. I bought an NEC monitor...and just never died.

Anyhow. They sure don't make em like they used to. For just over 1K I was able to get a BroilKing 3 burner machine. It feels like a mid to lower end unit.

We'll see how long she lasts.

I noticed that when I was trying to find a nice offset smoker. It seemed like you had to spend upwards of $1000+ to get something that wouldn't rust through in just a few years.  I ended up finding a 15+ year old chonker that I love. It's 1/4" steel all around. Most of the new stuff is 3/16", and in a lot of cases just an 1/8". I only paid $50 for the thing (was a royal bitch to move) and it's given me three solid summers so far, with plenty more on the horizon.   

Anyways, it was 68 degrees where I live yesterday (snow storm starts in 12 hours), and it got me excited for cook season. Summer is coming.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: August 06, 2022, 08:26:28 AM »
Bump! I got an early anniversary gift from my wife today, a blackstone griddle. Going to set it up and make some smash burgers this afternoon. Any of you guys mess around with a griddle before?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #602 on: August 30, 2022, 11:08:08 PM »
Yesterday, did a REALLY nice hot smoked salmon.  It was the best I've done by far, and one of the best pieces of salmon I've ever had.

It was a VERY simple recipe and process:  Brined 2 lb. salmon fillet in mixture of about 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tbsp. kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.  It was a short brine--only about 2 1/2 hours, so while there was a pellicle, it wasn't a really thick one.

Smoked it at between 200 and 225 on the Kamado Joe with some apple wood for about an hour and pulled it at 130 internal temp and let it rest.  Brushed on a light glaze at the beginning and again about 10 minutes before it finished.  Glaze was soy sauce, honey, and lemon zest.

Wish I would have gotten a pic, but was in a hurry.  Sorry. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: August 31, 2022, 06:01:36 AM »
That sounds amazing and something I need to try this weekend.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #604 on: August 31, 2022, 06:36:11 AM »
Process is solid.. A few tricks I'd add... Work some citrus zest into the dry brine, really sparks up the flavor, and you didn't say it, but letting it air dry between brine and smoke for a few hours at least really kicks up the pellicle formation.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #605 on: August 31, 2022, 08:19:48 AM »
Thanks!  :tup 

Another trick I used that I got from another recipe some time ago is that I put the fish on a cookie cooling rack and put that rack on the grill.  When it was done, just lift that rack off the grill instead of trying to get the fish off a hot grill with a spatula and risking breaking it and losing some of it. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #606 on: April 26, 2023, 11:55:21 AM »
My local Costco started selling beef back ribs. I've long complained that they don't sell short rib, but this is close enough, especially for four bucks a pound.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #607 on: April 26, 2023, 12:28:30 PM »
Can I suggest that you cater your own wedding?

Please

:lucien:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #608 on: April 26, 2023, 12:49:20 PM »
I suggested that in open field. I was denied  :lol