Author Topic: The Barbecue Thread  (Read 38015 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Barbecue Thread
« Reply #560 on: September 30, 2021, 09:23:24 AM »
Pork:  The recipe/technique I have been following is to cook it to about 165-170 with it directly on the grill grate (the heat shields on the Kamado protect it from flare ups).  Then put it in a foil pan with a small amount of apple juice (about 1/2 inch) and cover with foil and bring it up to about 185-190.

Fuel:  Kamado Joe Big Block. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #561 on: September 30, 2021, 09:42:31 AM »
Damn. I've had good luck with that charcoal. When you're trying to get it super hot, are you leaving it closed with the vents wide open the whole time, or do you let the fire build with the lid itself open first?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #562 on: September 30, 2021, 10:10:28 AM »
Closed.  I use a chimney to start, to make sure that most of the coals are ignited, and then spread them.  A few months ago, I attempted to get it as hot as it would go so that I could do a self-clean, but, again, it wouldn't get above about 400.  I can't explain it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #563 on: September 30, 2021, 10:16:59 AM »
Bosk

I can think of a couple of issues with your Kamado:
a) Have you done a cleaning, like removing all the insides, vacuum it and then re-assembling everything? There's a few holes that get clogged up on the ceramic pieces that get clogged with ash. That restricts some of the airflow.

b) The tray to remove the ash. So I had similar problems like you Bosk and I just removed the removable tray and didn't use it until I was going to clean the grill to cook again. The removable tray has holes but most of the time, they get clogged up. So you are restricting the airflow unknowingly.

c) Bottom cast iron grate - same issue as above. Maybe the holes are plugged and you need to unplug them.

I did buy an upgrade. I removed the bottom grate and bought the charcoal basket. It also has a divided so you can just heat up one side of the grilling grates. The smaller charcoals fall off and that also helps with the airflow. Smaller charcoals also plug holes and restrict airflow from the tray or grate.   

https://atlantagrillcompany.com/collections/kamado-joe-1/products/kamado-joe-charcoal-basket

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #564 on: September 30, 2021, 10:18:53 AM »
Closed.  I use a chimney to start, to make sure that most of the coals are ignited, and then spread them.  A few months ago, I attempted to get it as hot as it would go so that I could do a self-clean, but, again, it wouldn't get above about 400.  I can't explain it.

I usually let the fire run for 10-15 mins with the lid and vents fully wide open if I want to do grill or sear.

I also think the chimney you use to start the fire is the issue. The coals are already very hot but the heat is not enclosed or properly distributed inside the ceramic grill. I think that's also part of the problem.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #565 on: September 30, 2021, 10:29:21 AM »
Good tips all around.  I plan to take it all apart and do a thorough cleaning this weekend.  (b) is interesting.  So you don't use the tray at all during the cook?  So do you just suck out the ash with a shop vac before doing your next cook?

For the bottom grate, before doing a cook, I usually try to aggressively move around any coals that are left from a prior cook so that any ash accumulating between or under the coals falls through the bottom grate, and I make sure the holes look like they are clear.  But I guess it is possible that there is ash underneath that I am not seeing.  That basket might be a good option.  Do you put it on top of the grate, or do you remove the grate altogether and just use the basket?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #566 on: September 30, 2021, 10:44:23 AM »
Good tips all around.  I plan to take it all apart and do a thorough cleaning this weekend.  (b) is interesting.  So you don't use the tray at all during the cook?  So do you just suck out the ash with a shop vac before doing your next cook?

For the bottom grate, before doing a cook, I usually try to aggressively move around any coals that are left from a prior cook so that any ash accumulating between or under the coals falls through the bottom grate, and I make sure the holes look like they are clear.  But I guess it is possible that there is ash underneath that I am not seeing.  That basket might be a good option.  Do you put it on top of the grate, or do you remove the grate altogether and just use the basket?

b) I don't use the tray during the cook. I pull it out. Before I start a cook, I use the tray to remove the ash but after I remove most of the ash, I just put it away again. I use the shop vac about every 3-4 months for a full clean.

You remove the bottom grate. Then place the basket. I can snap a picture of the setup so you can see how it goes. It also has like a couple of hooks, where it attaches to the divide and conquer ring, and you can easily remove the whole thing, including the basket. And that also helps a lot for ash removal.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #567 on: September 30, 2021, 10:50:56 AM »

Give it a go with the lid open. I've found with the Weber Kettles I have that they'll run 150+ degrees hotter if I let the coals get get hot that way first.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #568 on: October 01, 2021, 07:06:05 AM »
Bosk

Here are some pictures of the basket

Charcoal basket inlcudes the middle divider. You can choose to just heat up one side of the grill and save some charcoal along the way

Charcoal basket with no bottom grate - you can see there are more gaps for airflow compared to the bottom grate originally included in the kamado

Kamado without basket or bottom grate

Basket with divide and conquer assembly

Hooks from divide conquer ring that  attach to basket

Basket with divide and conquer

Tray with plugged holes, that's why I just remove the tray

I bought the grate racks here (just make sure to choose your KJ model) -  If you decide to buy them, sign up for their newsletter and you'll get a discount coupon. They also run frequent sales so you save about 3-4 bucks depending on the sale event.
https://smokeware.com/collections/for-big-green-egg/products/grate-rack-bge?variant=965154447

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #569 on: October 01, 2021, 07:10:21 AM »
The rotisserie accessory I bought it from here:

https://atlantagrillcompany.com/collections/kamado-joe-1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #570 on: October 01, 2021, 08:39:20 AM »
That's cool.  I may have to spring for that.  But in the mean time, I will definitely go trayless on the bottom.  I didn't even think of that, but it seems like an easy way to up the airflow considerably.  I am guessing that you need to choke the bottom and top dampers way down for a low and slow in that case, but I will experiment with it. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #571 on: October 01, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »
Yes. I get about a 250F temp leaving the bottom damper about 1-1.5inch open and use the top damper to regulate temperature mostly.

But first, I leave both dampers fully open to reach a 200F temperature and then start closing the dampers.

I was thinking about your issue with the chimney. Are you using the chimney and pouring the coals until most of them are mostly white? If so, I think that is the issue. There is no more "usable" fuel to ignite and create hotter temperatures. If you want to use the chimney, maybe just leave 1/4 to 1/2 of the charcoal inside the chimney either white or unused. I just personally just pour the charcoal in the kamado and use a starter with all the vents open for 10-20 mins and then close the lid. And the grill starts raising the temperature easily.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #572 on: October 01, 2021, 09:17:30 AM »
I was thinking about your issue with the chimney. Are you using the chimney and pouring the coals until most of them are mostly white? If so, I think that is the issue. There is no more "usable" fuel to ignite and create hotter temperatures. If you want to use the chimney, maybe just leave 1/4 to 1/2 of the charcoal inside the chimney either white or unused. I just personally just pour the charcoal in the kamado and use a starter with all the vents open for 10-20 mins and then close the lid. And the grill starts raising the temperature easily.

I usually fill the chimney to the top, and then pour out the coals when the ones on top just start to get white on the edges (meaning they are just lit).  I pour and spread them, and then add the equivalent of about 1/4 chimney worth of fresh, unlit coals on top of those.  All the videos I have seen, the guys just spread unlit coals in the bottom of the KJ and use a starter.  I haven't really seen any guidance on using a chimney, so I've tried to just merge my own experience for using a chimney with briquettes as I would with cast iron Dutch oven cooking, with looking at how much total fuel those guys look like they have in the KJ.  But I am always open to suggestions or advice if you guys see something I am doing that isn't quite right (or even dead wrong).

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #573 on: October 04, 2021, 07:31:25 AM »
Decided to smoke a brisket yesterday, just salt and pepper, and didn't wrap it during the stall.

I don't think I'm wrapping briskets again. Everything was perfect. Meat was juicy and tender, with a crunchy/smokey bark.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #574 on: October 04, 2021, 07:51:49 AM »
Looks amazing! I almost never wrap, and when I do, it's always because of time constraints.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #575 on: October 04, 2021, 08:06:47 AM »
Killer smoke ring bud.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #576 on: October 04, 2021, 08:22:58 AM »
Not sure why I wrapped it in the first place. It took about 30 mins longer for me to smoke this vs a wrapped one of similar size.

By the way, this graph is from the Meater thermometer. The valleys are from when I opened the smoker and sprayed a water/apple cider vinegar solution. If you guys don't have the Meater, I totally recommend it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #577 on: October 04, 2021, 10:15:27 AM »
Damn that looks nice, you all have got some serious grilling skills.

I tried to grill my very first steak yesterday and it was a big disaster.

I bought some NY strips and all I added was Kosher salt and black pepper at room temp 45 mins prior to grilling

I watched a bunch of videos and even the weber grill guide card that comes with the grill mentioned to cook around 4 to 6 mins of direct high heat for 1" strips.

I did about 2 mins each side and then an additional 1 min each side and this is how they turned out.

Salty as hell and over done.

I kinda don't get the salty part though, because almost every video I see has used a ton more salt than what I put. It can't be that everyone eats way more salt than I do?!

The cooking part will take some time to get right as now I know I should get a wireless thermometer to check temps. I saw my closed grill go over 600F at one point so that may have been too much heat. Then again I have no idea or reference point if that's too much or not.

Either way it was a fun adventure and will go through the thread for tips and tricks.
Suggestions are most welcome!

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #578 on: October 04, 2021, 10:48:34 AM »
What kind of grill did you use?

Also, a thing to remember and keep in mind with salting... thickness matters. Your steaks are on the thinner side compared to most of the vids you'll see on Youtube. Those steaks would need way less salt than something that was 1.5"+ thick. Just something to think about if you're comparing to tutorials you're watching online. A lot of Youtube guys will also use types of salt that are less... potent I guess (RJ, help me out with some verbiage!). The salt crystals are larger and flakier, appearing to a look like a lot more salt than it is. It looks good for the camera and the presentation. At least I think I remember Guga mentioning something along those lines in one of his videos. 

I like to cook steaks with a method called "reverse searing". You slowly bring the steaks up to temp off heat and away from the flame, only flipping them once along the way. Once they hit 122ish (F), they go directly over flame and I sear them like hell for a minute on each side twice. It's a pretty fool proof way to never overcook them.

Better luck next time around!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 01:48:48 PM by Chino »

Online faizoff

« Reply #579 on: October 04, 2021, 10:59:49 AM »
Thanks for the tip!

I use the spirit series Weber gas grill. It's a 3 burner unit, I believe it's this one

I actually just came across Guga in the morning and I wished I had seen this video before I grilled yesterday. Thanks also for pointing out the thickness difference of the steaks. I should have figured mine would take a lot lesser time. But C'est la vie.

Hopefully next time comes out better.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #580 on: October 04, 2021, 11:36:35 AM »
I mean, if he used iodized salt, it'd make sense, but since he used kosher, it's saltiness is mellower. I'd say it's partly that you just used too much based on the thickness, and that by overcooking it you intensified the saltiness. If you're dealing with that thickness of a NY, just get the grill marks and you're already at rare, so if you're shooting for MR you just need to creep past that a minute or two and let it finish on the cutting board. You'll always get one good upgrade in temperature just from a proper resting of the steak.

Online faizoff

« Reply #581 on: October 04, 2021, 11:40:50 AM »
That's great feedback and makes sense.

One other question I have is closed vs open grill cooking. Let's say I'm doing the direct high heat for a couple of mins each side, does it matter that much to close the grill for that amount of time as its just a few mins?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: October 04, 2021, 11:55:13 AM »
My gf only recently taught me about the different levels of saltiness as my table salt I basically use is too salty for her so now I have another set of salt for when she cooks.  You live and you learn.

Now was it Chino (I may be wrong) who brought up using corn starch when making wings?  We tried that this weekend (we fried them, not grilled so maybe not appropriate for this thread) but I think those came out as the best wings I've ever home made before.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #583 on: October 04, 2021, 12:03:34 PM »
My gf only recently taught me about the different levels of saltiness as my table salt I basically use is too salty for her so now I have another set of salt for when she cooks.  You live and you learn.

Now was it Chino (I may be wrong) who brought up using corn starch when making wings?  We tried that this weekend (we fried them, not grilled so maybe not appropriate for this thread) but I think those came out as the best wings I've ever home made before.

That sounds like a recommendation I would have made  :lol I love me some corn starch wings! Glad it works out well for you guys.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #584 on: October 04, 2021, 01:43:03 PM »
I made the recc'n once of using baking POWDER in a chicken wing dry rub, and that has a chemical reaction with the fat to make the skin really crispy just baking it in the oven.  Same effect methinks as corn starch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #585 on: October 04, 2021, 02:55:04 PM »

That sounds like a recommendation I would have made  :lol I love me some corn starch wings! Glad it works out well for you guys.

I use corn starch as well for oven baked fried tofu.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #586 on: October 04, 2021, 02:57:27 PM »
@faizoff

I would try to create two cooking zones in your grill: one direct and one indirect. Get a meat thermometer. The internal meat temp is all that matters. I would cook the NY strips using indirect heat until you reach your internal temp and then a 1 min sear on both sides on the direct side of your grill.

Online faizoff

« Reply #587 on: October 04, 2021, 06:34:13 PM »
Thanks goo-goo I'm definitely getting a thermometer and using that as a guide. I wish I had done a little more reading up before making those steaks but lessons learned the hard way.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #588 on: October 04, 2021, 06:55:05 PM »
Thanks goo-goo I'm definitely getting a thermometer and using that as a guide. I wish I had done a little more reading up before making those steaks but lessons learned the hard way.

I feel your pain. My first brisket was grass fed and wasnt cheap. It came out tough as leather as I just followed a “leave it in oven for 5 hrs at 250F” recipe. Never again. After that, I bought cheap cuts, read up good BBQ blogs and tried again. I started grilling and smoking with a 22” Weber kettle. I squeezed every ounce of that grill. After that and learning smd reading a lot, decided to buy my current Kamado.

Internal  temperature and meat quality are key  in smoking, grilling, etc. A good cut doesnt need much seasoning unless you are looking for a specific flavor. A lot of the learning is by trial and error.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: October 05, 2021, 01:28:29 PM »
Not sure why I wrapped it in the first place. It took about 30 mins longer for me to smoke this vs a wrapped one of similar size.

By the way, this graph is from the Meater thermometer. The valleys are from when I opened the smoker and sprayed a water/apple cider vinegar solution. If you guys don't have the Meater, I totally recommend it.

How is the range on the meater? My buddy has one and I checked it out a couple years ago but he had to keep his phone very close to grill to get read outs.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #591 on: October 05, 2021, 02:57:36 PM »

Goddamn are you guys spoiled these days.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #592 on: October 05, 2021, 03:07:37 PM »
Yeah, the 1st Gen has a 30 ft range, which is the one I have.
https://www.amazon.com/MEATER-Thermometer-Rotisserie-Bluetooth-Connectivity/dp/B01GQMPJOC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=PW868WC4KN06&dchild=1&keywords=meater+thermometer+wireless&qid=1633463422&sprefix=meater+thermometer+wireless%27%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-5

The current gen supposedly has a 165 ft range.
https://www.amazon.com/MEATER-Thermometer-Rotisserie-Bluetooth-Connectivity/dp/B07H8WTFHW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=PW868WC4KN06&dchild=1&keywords=meater+thermometer+wireless&qid=1633463383&sprefix=meater+thermometer+wireless%27%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-4

There are three, actually. 

https://www.amazon.com/MEATER-Thermometer-Rotisserie-Bluetooth-Connectivity/dp/B07TJ95CBM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=meater+thermometer+wireless&qid=1633467925&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFPRTJLVTAxTjQ2S0YmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNDA4NDAxT1ZQMVoyVzdSS1c5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4NjQzODAzVjU0UEhLNDVTTjlRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This one has unlimited range as long as the block is in range.  The block uploads data to the cloud, so you can get readouts from your phone from ANYWHERE. 

You can kind of do that with the second generation as well if you have an extra phone or table.  You just have to leave the phone or tablet within range so it can receive data from the thermometer and upload it to the cloud.  Then you can access that from your active phone. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: October 08, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »
Welp looks like I'm ordering one...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #594 on: November 27, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »
Good news!

Figured out my airflow/heat problem.  It was actually quite simple, and in retrospect, I kinda feel like an idiot for not picking up on what the problem was because it seems so obvious now.  But Goo-Goo's post got me rethinking every aspect of how I built my fire and do my cook, and it turned out the issue was right in front of me. 

So, as I mentioned, I use a chimney to start my coals rather than using a fire starter.  I already had a chimney for starting briquettes and was well versed with how they work, so when Chino first mentioned it awhile back, seemed perfect.  Goo-Goo talking about replacing the bottom cast iron ventilated grill plate with a basket got me thinking about ventilation in that area.  So I quickly figured out that the problem was arising from a combination of the bottom grill plate and my chimney method.  The issue is this:  To start my coals in the chimney I usually grab some scrap cardboard and a handful of paper from our paper shredder to put in the bottom of the chimney, and light that up to get a good flame to catch the coals.  The problem is that that would leave me with a big pile of fine ash from the paper and cardboard on the floor of the KJ firebox on top of the bottom grill plate, which would likely severely hinder airflow from the bottom.  Basically, rather than having my burning coals directly on the ventilated bottom grill plate, there was a layer of fine ash in between preventing any ventilation.  I picked up on that this morning when lighting up.  So what I did was, before dumping the coals out of the chimney, I picked it up and scraped all that ash to the sides to clear the holes.  The result was a ROARING fire.  I wanted to let it heat up a bit to do a little cleaning before starting the cook, and it got up to 575 with the heat deflector plates in before I started choking it down.  (probably actually hotter, but that is what the dome thermometer was reading.  When I was cleaning, the heat was intense.  I'm sure if I took the heat deflectors out, I could have gotten a nice sear on some tomahawks. 

Anyhow, problem solved.  Glad I figured it out and that it was so simple.  I still can't believe I didn't catch on before now, but I guess that's the thing with grilling/smoking/bbq.  There are lots of variables, and it can sometimes just take time to learn some of the seemingly most obvious things about your equipment.