Author Topic: The Barbecue Thread  (Read 39052 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Barbecue Thread
« Reply #350 on: September 28, 2020, 05:15:10 AM »
I'm having a couple guys over this Friday and will be cooking all day. These will be on the menu. Am excited.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #351 on: November 09, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
Here's an update with the Kamado Joe. I'm having so much fun with this. I finally had a brisket come out amazing. I have also done some grilling as well and does not disappoint. I smoked some salmon and chicken over the weekend and holy shit. The salmon came out delicious (did a 150F temp for 2 hrs until internal temp reached 140F).  The chicken breasts are so damn tender (internal temp 160F). And with the same fuel/heat, I opened up the vents all the way through and managed to get the temp up to 450-500F and grilled some skirt steak.

No regrets. I'll post some pictures later today. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2020, 06:07:59 AM »
Here's an update with the Kamado Joe. I'm having so much fun with this. I finally had a brisket come out amazing. I have also done some grilling as well and does not disappoint. I smoked some salmon and chicken over the weekend and holy shit. The salmon came out delicious (did a 150F temp for 2 hrs until internal temp reached 140F).  The chicken breasts are so damn tender (internal temp 160F). And with the same fuel/heat, I opened up the vents all the way through and managed to get the temp up to 450-500F and grilled some skirt steak.

No regrets. I'll post some pictures later today.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. What are you using as fuel?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #353 on: November 10, 2020, 11:24:20 AM »
I'm using lump charcoal (which I can 2-3 times) and applewood.

Sorry guys for the following images:

Sausage and roasted potatos

Salmon

Skirt steak, onions (Worcestershire sauce, lemon, and butter), and corn on the cob

Smoked chicken

Chuck roast

Beef brisket (before)

Beef brisket (after)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #354 on: November 10, 2020, 11:36:12 AM »
And a can burger....

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #355 on: November 10, 2020, 11:38:04 AM »
^^^^^^

Dayum goo-goo - What street do I turn on?   :hefdaddy

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: November 10, 2020, 11:55:34 AM »
 :lol looks like you made enough to fill up DTF, I'm on my way as well

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #357 on: December 02, 2020, 06:20:55 AM »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #358 on: December 18, 2020, 06:54:23 AM »
@Chino  :rollin :rollin

I swear to  god I was looking like that like a couple of weeks ago. I had a 4 month long beard.

I'll be cooking some filet mignon for Christmas using the sous vide. We'll see how that goes. Haven't done anything interesting lately but I'll post some pics of the filet mignon using sous vide. And then I'll update that meme with my picture  :biggrin:

Edit: I've been supporting local breweries during this pandemic in the Austin area. I've been buying a six pack every week from different places. So yes, I'm full on with that  meme!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #359 on: December 18, 2020, 07:01:18 AM »

I swear to  god I was looking like that like a couple of weeks ago. I had a 4 month long beard.

I'll be cooking some filet mignon for Christmas using the sous vide. We'll see how that goes. Haven't done anything interesting lately but I'll post some pics of the filet mignon using sous vide. And then I'll update that meme with my picture  :biggrin:

Edit: I've been supporting local breweries during this pandemic in the Austin area. I've been buying a six pack every week from different places. So yes, I'm full on with that  meme!

Nice.

I'll be sous vide-ing for Christmas as well! Did turkey for Thanksgiving that came out great, and plan on doing a prime rib roast on the 25th. I can't wait. I sous vided a wagyu (American) NY strip last night and finished it off with my flame thrower/torch that I recently got. That's my new favorite toy for sure.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #360 on: December 18, 2020, 07:50:03 AM »
Which flame thrower did you get?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #361 on: December 18, 2020, 07:52:20 AM »
Which flame thrower did you get?

Nothing crazy. I went with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFNKQVD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It'd be too small for something like a brisket, but it's clutch for steaks, chicken, chuck roasts, etc. I mean, you could do a brisket with it, but it'd take like 10 minutes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #362 on: December 18, 2020, 08:25:13 AM »

Nice.

I'll be sous vide-ing for Christmas as well! Did turkey for Thanksgiving that came out great, and plan on doing a prime rib roast on the 25th. I can't wait. I sous vided a wagyu (American) NY strip last night and finished it off with my flame thrower/torch that I recently got. That's my new favorite toy for sure.

How did that NY Strip (my favorite cut of meat) come out?  What do you do for a sear? Doesn't it come out grey and sort of, not "soggy" but not, well, seared?   Does the flamethrower after the fact do the job (is there enough fat left to put a good sear on?)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #363 on: December 18, 2020, 08:31:04 AM »

Nice.

How did that NY Strip (my favorite cut of meat) come out?  What do you do for a sear? Doesn't it come out grey and sort of, not "soggy" but not, well, seared?   Does the flamethrower after the fact do the job (is there enough fat left to put a good sear on?)

The strip was great. When I'm using the sous vide and flame thrower for steaks, I just pat them dry with a towel and then torch them. They're grey before the sear, and the flame throw gives them some great color and some added flavor. If it's nice and not freezing outside, I like to fire up the weber and sear them out there after they come out of the sous vide.

Skip to the 4:00 mark in this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUGILGW6N-E

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: December 18, 2020, 08:39:23 AM »
When he cut that steak at the end, I'm pretty sure I drooled on my desk.  That's "last meal" territory for me. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #365 on: December 19, 2020, 12:34:45 AM »
I picked up a prime grade ribeye roast for Xmas. I'll probably to a rub of stone ground mustard, garlic, thyme, rosemary and a shit ton of s&p, and do a slow roast of it. The highlight of the meal will be my scalloped potatoes with bacon braised leeks and Vella dry jack cheese, they are easily a top 5 item of things I cook.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: December 19, 2020, 07:13:35 AM »
I picked up a prime grade ribeye roast for Xmas. I'll probably to a rub of stone ground mustard, garlic, thyme, rosemary and a shit ton of s&p, and do a slow roast of it. The highlight of the meal will be my scalloped potatoes with bacon braised leeks and Vella dry jack cheese, they are easily a top 5 item of things I cook.

It moved.  :)    That's an amazing meal right there.   Those potatoes sound absolutely delightful.  A side of sauteed spinach and an oaky merlot and we're talking a king's feast right there.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #367 on: December 19, 2020, 04:34:01 PM »

I effing love scalloped potatoes. Do you put ham in as well as the bacon, or just bacon?

I was trying to decide earlier today whether to get a ribeye roast or a beef tenderloin for the day. Really can't make up my mind. I walked out without getting either.

Sidebar, I sous vided two racks of St. Louis Ribs ribs today. First time giving those a go with that method. They were the pre-seasoned ones from Costco which have never done me wrong.

Anyway, I had them in the bath at 175°F for 8 hours. They're sitting on my pellet grill now on the lowest smoke setting. I'm going to take them off after two hours or so. I was impatient and ate a hunk of one right out of the bag.... Hot damn. It was really, really, really good. Can't wait to taste the end product.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #368 on: December 19, 2020, 04:58:26 PM »

It moved.  :)    That's an amazing meal right there.   Those potatoes sound absolutely delightful.  A side of sauteed spinach and an oaky merlot and we're talking a king's feast right there.

It does indeed sound great. Hold the leeks though!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2020, 01:45:40 PM »
Here's an update with the Kamado Joe.

I just received a large crate in the mail, and it turns out my mom bought me a Kamado Joe II.  I have no idea what it is or how to use it, so I naturally came here to post and see what you guys might have to say.  Kinda cool that the first unread post was yours. 

So...I have this thing.  What do I do with it?  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »

I guarantee youd like them. In fact, I'd bet any amount of money.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #371 on: December 21, 2020, 02:15:23 PM »

I guarantee youd like them. In fact, I'd bet any amount of money.
How do "bacon braised leeks" work? Sounds awesome, but the braising part isn't readily obvious.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #372 on: December 21, 2020, 02:26:56 PM »
Dice the bacon and the leeks... Cook the bacon enough just to render the fat but still have the bacon 'juice' , then add the leeks and slowly cook until the leeks are melty.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #373 on: December 21, 2020, 03:32:11 PM »
Dice the bacon and the leeks... Cook the bacon enough just to render the fat but still have the bacon 'juice' , then add the leeks and slowly cook until the leeks are melty.
*faints*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #374 on: December 23, 2020, 09:03:37 AM »
Wagyu beef skirt steak using sous vide for 2.5 hrs at 130F. Seasoned with himalayan salt, pepper, garlic granules and a small spritz of Worcestershire sauce.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: December 23, 2020, 09:38:10 AM »
That looks mouth-watering.   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #376 on: December 23, 2020, 09:39:47 AM »
That looks mouth-watering.

I dunno about you, but my mouth *IS* watering!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #377 on: December 23, 2020, 09:51:49 AM »
Wagyu beef skirt steak using sous vide for 2.5 hrs at 130F. Seasoned with himalayan salt, pepper, garlic granules and a small spritz of Worcestershire sauce.

Please tell me the corn tortillas, salsa, cilantro and onions are off screen...

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #378 on: December 23, 2020, 10:12:42 AM »
Corn tortillas, jalapeno sauce, and Cotija cheese.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #379 on: December 24, 2020, 03:08:18 AM »
That looks soooo effing good.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #380 on: December 25, 2020, 08:16:04 AM »
Hope all you had a nice Christmas eve. I made a filet mignon (salt, pepper, rosemary) with sous vide, roasted potatoes (garlic, cayenne, olive oil, salt and pepper), and a garden salad. Here's a pic of how the filet mignon came out (pretty f'n good!)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #381 on: December 25, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »
fucking dope.

Nothing from last night, I worked and settled for a pint of Jeni's Brambleberry Crisp ice cream. The big guns are coming out today with my prime grade rib roast being the star.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #382 on: December 25, 2020, 06:35:19 PM »
Not necessarily BBQ, but since this is the thread we've been talking about holiday eats....

Breakfast- Crab Eggs Benedict

The roast beast before cooking (prime grade grass fed)...

The oxtail demi straining...never press it through, makes it cloudy. Always let gravity do the work...

The scalloped potatoes and prime resting...

And the finished plate... Dijon-herb crusted prime with oxtail demi and lemon-horseradish compound butter, scalloped potatoes with bacon braised leeks, and lemon garlic roasted asparagus.

We still got pumpkin bread pudding with caramel sauce, but I got to digest a bit first. Happy holidays all!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #383 on: December 25, 2020, 06:57:26 PM »
No one is eating as good as the Dunn brothers this Christmas day.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #384 on: December 25, 2020, 07:21:42 PM »
I didn't take an after photo because I didn't want to pull out the phone at the table, but this is was I cooked today. A nice eight pounder.

RJ, your stuff looks premo.