Author Topic: The Barbecue Thread  (Read 39342 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Barbecue Thread
« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2020, 08:57:36 AM »
Um, yeah. So every attempt I've made for ribs with sous vide (admittedly only twice) didn't work out so well. There's just something wrong with the fat not rendering properly...it comes out kinda slimy, for lack of a better word. The flavor is good, and the meat is tender, but the fat ribbons just aren't right. I hope yours turns out better.

For me, sous vide is really only handy for fish, and if your doing a lot of tenderloins for company.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2020, 11:00:35 AM »
I need to get me one of those.

They usually run at $199. Amazon and/or Target have frequent sales at $149. I have the Honey extension installed in the browser and alerts me when prices go down. I got it for $119.

It's not for everyone because it does take a long time to cook stuff, plus prep and refrigeration time. The skirt steak takes 2-4 hours to cook plus the short time searing. So you are patient, this will be good for you. Otherwise, I would stay away from it.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2020, 02:24:10 PM »
Um, yeah. So every attempt I've made for ribs with sous vide (admittedly only twice) didn't work out so well. There's just something wrong with the fat not rendering properly...it comes out kinda slimy, for lack of a better word. The flavor is good, and the meat is tender, but the fat ribbons just aren't right. I hope yours turns out better.

For me, sous vide is really only handy for fish, and if your doing a lot of tenderloins for company.

I got into sous vide for a little while. I mainly used it for meal prepping chicken.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: August 05, 2020, 02:52:23 PM »

I got into sous vide for a little while. I mainly used it for meal prepping chicken.

And chicken, good call.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: August 06, 2020, 11:42:14 AM »
So I found someone about 10 minutes away selling one of these NIB for $45. I'm going to pick it up after work. I'm most excited to cook chicken with it. I can't wait to try steaks as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-SSV800-Accu-Circulator/dp/B07898VZN9/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=instant+pot+accu+slim&qid=1596735204&sr=8-2

So what's the deal with a lid when it comes to using one of these devices? Can I just put the unit in a pasta pot with no lid?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2020, 12:03:30 PM »

So what's the deal with a lid when it comes to using one of these devices? Can I just put the unit in a pasta pot with no lid?

Yes, I use a normal pot. Mine has a clamp and you can attach it to the pot. You still have to seal it though to keep the steam it generates. I do it with the plastic wrap and then a tower on top. No problem. Take a look at the picture below for my setup. It's just a normal deep pot.

Just make sure you put something between the pot and the table since it will get hot and the finish of your table top surface might get damaged. I use the small spacer/rack thingy that came with an Instant-pot. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2020, 07:24:20 AM »
Yup. Okay. I'm 100% onboard with sous vide. I did a pair of 1.5" Niman Ranch boneless ribeyes last night. Best steak I've made to date. No questions. I cooked them at 129°F for 2.5 hours and then seared the shit out of them over some lump charcoal.

Unreal.

Didn't get a great money shot though. I was outside at night and didn't want to go in just for a photo shoot.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2020, 07:35:59 AM »
Oh god, Chino's going down the long dark hole of sous vide cooking. Hope we get him back....

All sorts of things work with it well. Actually fish are my least favorite to do. At the hotel we had the large bin machines, so we could do massive scale items like all our holiday turkey dark meat. Strip the thighs off the bird, debone, season roll and tie. Bag and cook it for about 6 hours, then a high heat sear on a flat top or stove. Almost as good as a deep fried bird. Lamb legs are killer too.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2020, 08:15:54 AM »
Never tried sous vide... but now I know what I’m adding to my birthday/Christmas list.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2020, 06:23:31 PM »
Yup. Okay. I'm 100% onboard with sous vide. I did a pair of 1.5" Niman Ranch boneless ribeyes last night. Best steak I've made to date. No questions. I cooked them at 129°F for 2.5 hours and then seared the shit out of them over some lump charcoal.

Unreal.

Didn't get a great money shot though. I was outside at night and didn't want to go in just for a photo shoot.

Oh yeah!!!! :metal :metal

Sous vide is unreal. Skirt steak cooks pretty well with sous vide.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: August 09, 2020, 06:29:45 AM »
Have any of you guys tried butcher box? https://www.butcherbox.com/

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: August 09, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
Oh god, Chino's going down the long dark hole of sous vide cooking Pabst  :lol. Hope we get him back....

FIFY

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2020, 06:20:03 PM »
I am offended, Sir!   

That Pabst belonged to my friend. I was enjoying a Heineken.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »
 :lol just messing with you, the meat looks delicious, and I love Heineys

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #259 on: August 09, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #260 on: August 13, 2020, 09:25:35 AM »
My mouth is starting to water thinking about tomorrow. I took the day off from work and will be spending it cooking. I've got beef ribs, NY strips, pork belly burnt ends, and mac & cheese on the menu. It's been a while since I've had a good cook day  :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2020, 05:43:12 PM »
Starting the sous vide for 48 hrs for this short ribs. Glazed in shallot and red wine sauce. I'll post an update on Sunday night. I'll probably smoke a brisket since the Kamado already arrived so if I for the smoke, I'll post an update as well.

This recipe starts with the searing and sautéing the shalots and doing the glaze.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 06:44:58 PM by goo-goo »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2020, 03:38:51 PM »
The fire gods came together yesterday and blessed my buddies and I with some BBQ.

I want someone to look at me the way I look at my meat.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2020, 03:39:32 PM »
Starting the sous vide for 48 hrs for this short ribs. Glazed in shallot and red wine sauce. I'll post an update on Sunday night. I'll probably smoke a brisket since the Kamado already arrived so if I for the smoke, I'll post an update as well.

What's your plan after they come out of the sous vide?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2020, 04:50:53 PM »

Curious as well, never used sous video for short ribs, I prefer a solid braise.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »
The fire gods came together yesterday and blessed my buddies and I with some BBQ.

Shit boy - I'll look at you any way you want as long as I can get some of that BBQ!  :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #266 on: August 15, 2020, 06:50:28 PM »

The searing was done first and then the sous vide. After the sous vide, need to strain the juices, put them in a pan at medium heat and add red wine for the glaze. 23 hrs to go.

You can still braise them using sous vide with higher temps and shorter cooking time.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2020, 06:53:05 AM »

Damn Bri!! You’re 1/2 the man you used to be!  :tup

And dat meat!!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #268 on: August 16, 2020, 07:18:38 PM »
So 1st smoke with the Kamado had mixed results. The brisket I used had several thin areas (very thin) and those came out dry and burnt. The thicker, middle part was fantastic. Just a typical Texas style rub (salt, pepper, paprika). With the remaining heat, we decided to heat up a bunch of Hatch peppers.

This is how the short ribs came out with the sous vide

The sauce is very tasty, the meat is super tender. No regrets here even with the 48 hrs that it took to cook.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2020, 06:10:30 AM »

That is a good-looking BBQ board right there!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »
Week 2 with the Kamado Joe. Everything came out better than the 1st try. Felt like the brisket needed it be a bit more moist but it was very tender. Sausage was a blend of pork meat and Hatch chile from NM.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #271 on: August 27, 2020, 01:10:32 PM »

How long did you have the brisket on there? I want a bite of that sausage. I love it when the casing gets some of that burn on it. How are you liking the Kamado? I might splurge on one next spring.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: August 27, 2020, 01:23:27 PM »
 :lol

Damn Brian you look great (not being gay) with that weight loss and these meat platters got me salivating

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #273 on: August 27, 2020, 01:30:44 PM »
 :lol I said to my buddy "I need you to take a pic of me. I need new photos for Tinder"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: August 27, 2020, 01:49:59 PM »
Hell yea  :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #275 on: August 27, 2020, 04:07:13 PM »

How long did you have the brisket on there? I want a bite of that sausage. I love it when the casing gets some of that burn on it. How are you liking the Kamado? I might splurge on one next spring.

This one smoked for 4 hours at 250F. Wish I could have left it a bit longer to get a bit more tenderness. But meat thermometer showed the meat temp was at 215F so I pulled it out.

Can't complain about the Kamado. The temperature is pretty constant and holds heat it for long periods of time. I finished smoking this brisket in 4 hrs and closed all the vents to let the fire die, and it took about 4 more hours to completely extinguish. Haven't used it for grilling (hope to grill this weekend). I'll keep posting feedback in this thread.

I do recommend it getting it from Costco. Obviously you get the better warranty using Costco but when they sell it, it's about 200 bucks cheaper than Amazon or other retailers and include the cover.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2020, 05:20:15 PM »
Decided to go low and slow this time around for bbq brisket. Smoked at 220F using the kamado for 8 hours with just a salt and pepper rub. I'm going to crank it up a notch and get a better marbled brisket like wagyu.

Mission accomplised! Moist and tender with a nice bark on it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: August 30, 2020, 06:39:31 PM »
I thought Chino was darker skinned. He's awful white in that picture.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2020, 08:31:25 AM »
I thought Chino was darker skinned. He's awful white in that picture.

Sorry to disappoint!

:rollin :rollin 

Online faizoff

« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2020, 09:15:54 AM »
On a tangential note, I tried making smashburgers for the very first time and have to say it's so much easier than grilling them. I don't know if I'll ever go back to grilling burgers the traditional way. This way was so much easier and quicker. And so tender and juicy as well. Just used pink salt and pepper while cooking and it was sublime.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan