Author Topic: The Barbecue Thread  (Read 39245 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The Barbecue Thread
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2020, 08:25:13 AM »
The one on top was probably over 32oz  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2020, 01:49:04 PM »
Yeah, the brine made all the difference in the world!

This baby is like spicy, smokey, chicken, candy! I wouldn't change a thing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »
The skin is making my dick hard just looking at it.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2020, 08:34:12 PM »
Tonight's dinner

Grilled Asian-marinated flank steak and pepper kebabs, saffron rice, oven roasted garlic-cauliflower.  YUM

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2020, 08:41:04 PM »
The skin is making my dick hard just looking at it.

You sure it's not that hole in the slice?

But hell yes, that chicken looks amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2020, 06:26:49 AM »
This was from last weekend:
Smoked a chuck roast for about four hours, then covered in foil and braised in beef broth with red and green bell peppers, onions, and pepperoncinis.
Sliced it for Chicago style beef sandwiches topped with the peppers and onions from the braise and some hot giardiniera.

And here's a shot of my home-built grill table:

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2020, 06:30:12 AM »
Did you make that Weber work station from scratch? I love it.

Food looks good too!

« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2020, 06:23:26 AM »
Did you make that Weber work station from scratch? I love it.

Food looks good too!
Yes, designed and built it myself.
A lot of people make tables with holes to drop the kettle in and mount. I was given this counter top and wanted to incorporate it, which wasn't big enough to cut in a full hole. Also, wanted to keep the kettle intact.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2020, 07:34:51 AM »
This was my cook yesterday while convalescing in the backyard watching golf.

Applewood smoked, stuffed, pork loin roast. Probably my best cook yet on the new smoker/grill.

--------------------------------

As an update to my experience with the Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Series, charcoal smoker, I've had a niggling problem with the switches for the three doors. I've actually had to bypass the lid switch for the top of the charcoal hopper. The company is going to warranty the switches, but they are out of them and aren't sure when they'll get a supply of them.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2020, 08:12:08 AM »
Damn. That looks awesome. I've made bacon-wrapped pork loin a handful of times. The last time I made it, I smoked the loin at like 160 by itself for a half hour, and then I wrapped it in bacon. It allowed for some of that smoke to really penetrate before restricting it with the bacon layer. It came out great. I've never tried to stuff one though. What'd you put in it?

Sucks about your smoker's switches. It always seems like the cheapest parts are the ones to cause the biggest headaches. Humans have been manufacturing switches for how long now? How have we still not gotten them down yet  :lol

At least it's a problem with a work around though. That's one of the reasons I like to have my chonker of an offset stick burner on standby. I only use it maybe 4-8 times a year, but I like knowing that if my pellet grill's cpu or heating element decides to take a dump, I can have a backup plan.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:20:28 AM by Chino »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2020, 08:34:12 AM »
What'd you put in it?

Roasted Anaheim peppers, onion, garlic, sriracha, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs (just enough to make it cakey).

Oh, also, if you make the bacon weave; I've learned that the really thin, cheap bacon is best. Thick cut, premium bacon takes too long to render down and is prone to catching fire.  :)

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2020, 08:35:03 AM »
I forgot to post my cook from the weekend before last. I had all three of my grills running at once, something I've wanted to do for a while  :lol It was a good day.

I hate having to work a weekend job, but I get a 30% employee discount. That comes in handy when it comes to good BBQ. The store I work in has a butcher shop that's got some of the best beef and pork in the area (I work as a chef in their catering department).

Not a grilling item, but still and essential to any self-respecting BBQ.

Charcoal chimneys are one of humanity's greatest achievements.

My offset

Beef Ribs

Pork Ribs (yeah, I was lazy and didn't swap out my foil)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2020, 08:38:30 AM »
Yum!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2020, 08:40:27 AM »
Very nice both Chino and Podaar

The girl I've been seeing apparently makes some bangin ribs so we will be grilling those this weekend, I'll have to take pics.  I've never attempted to make my own ribs before.  Also being a noob to making my own steaks, I saw some beef for the first itme in awhile at the grocery store.  Not much options, but figured, what the hell, it's been awhile... so I grabbed a cheap chuck steak. Nothing special, but I grilled it last night and it was really enjoyable.  I'm thinking maybe it's time I get a bit more experience with steak and ribs.  Not going to invest in a smoker, but just get my hands a little wet with some foods I don't typically grill.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2020, 08:44:48 AM »
Very nice both Chino and Podaar

The girl I've been seeing apparently makes some bangin ribs so we will be grilling those this weekend, I'll have to take pics.  I've never attempted to make my own ribs before.  Also being a noob to making my own steaks, I saw some beef for the first itme in awhile at the grocery store.  Not much options, but figured, what the hell, it's been awhile... so I grabbed a cheap chuck steak. Nothing special, but I grilled it last night and it was really enjoyable.  I'm thinking maybe it's time I get a bit more experience with steak and ribs.  Not going to invest in a smoker, but just get my hands a little wet with some foods I don't typically grill.

:metal

This man will teach you everything you need to know about steaks. He's a joy to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfE5Cz44GlZVyoaYTHJbuZw/videos

« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2020, 09:29:58 AM »
Good looking cooks guys. Regarding the bacon weave, I have found the same with the thin cheap bacon, and another trick I use is when done with the weave, lay a piece of plastic wrap over it and lightly tap with a meat mallet, it tightens up all the joints between the pieces nicely.

I'll be jumping on the smoked queso bandwagon tonight. If you follow any kind of BBQ social media groups or YouTube channels, it has been the craze over the last week or so. I must have seen at least 50 posts of people making it.

Apparently it all started with this video from Meat Church:

https://youtu.be/4bhmC-FHNn4

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2020, 09:49:44 AM »
That looks sooo good chino  :metal

« Reply #192 on: June 17, 2020, 12:51:00 PM »
As I said I was going to do two posts up, I made the smoked queso this past weekend.
Absolutely amazing!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2020, 03:58:14 PM »
Nice, what's in the queso? That seems like something I could throw together especially since I have this big block of velveeta cheese here.

« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2020, 05:36:54 AM »
Nice, what's in the queso? That seems like something I could throw together especially since I have this big block of velveeta cheese here.

I posted the original YouTube video that started the craze a few posts above, but it is:

A large block of Velveeta
8 oz. smoked gouda
1 lb browned breakfast sausage
2 cans Rotelle
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Smoke at 350, stirring every 15-20 min. or so, for 45 min.

(I cut the amounts in half in my pics above)

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2020, 05:44:18 AM »
That looks amazing. Did you buy smoked Gouda, or did you smoke it yourself? I love cold smoking cheese. 

« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2020, 01:05:33 PM »
That looks amazing. Did you buy smoked Gouda, or did you smoke it yourself? I love cold smoking cheese.

Haven't tried cold smoking cheese yet. This was purchased.

Let me add, if anybody makes this queso, save the leftovers for mac-n-cheese. My wife made it the next day and it was fantastic!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2020, 01:17:22 PM »
Normally I'm one to go with Mexican chorizo in my queso. I've got nothing against Jimmy Dean in queso, I just think chorizo is better. I'm not sure how that would work with the smoke, though. Breakfast sausage might very well be the better option here. I'm having a hard time imagining it in my head. Wouldn't mind finding out, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2020, 05:41:59 AM »

I posted the original YouTube video that started the craze a few posts above, but it is:

A large block of Velveeta
8 oz. smoked gouda
1 lb browned breakfast sausage
2 cans Rotelle
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Smoke at 350, stirring every 15-20 min. or so, for 45 min.

(I cut the amounts in half in my pics above)

Rotelle? I have heard of wagon wheel pasta referred to as that, but I'm not seeing it in your queso. Are you referring to something else? Also, do you cook the sausage before putting it in the foil pan with everything else?

I am cooking for my dad this Sunday and want to make this as a side.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2020, 06:35:50 AM »
I think the Rotelle he is refering to is a brand name of canned diced tomatoes and chilis, which makes sense for this dish. Looks fantastic by the way!

« Reply #200 on: June 19, 2020, 07:13:17 AM »
I think the Rotelle he is refering to is a brand name of canned diced tomatoes and chilis, which makes sense for this dish. Looks fantastic by the way!

Yes, apparently I've been spelling it wrong...

It comes in various flavors and grades of heat.

« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2020, 07:16:21 AM »
Normally I'm one to go with Mexican chorizo in my queso. I've got nothing against Jimmy Dean in queso, I just think chorizo is better. I'm not sure how that would work with the smoke, though. Breakfast sausage might very well be the better option here. I'm having a hard time imagining it in my head. Wouldn't mind finding out, though.

I've seen post of people doing this with all kinds of variations, ground beef with taco seasoning, fresh diced tomatoes and chilies, etc.
I think chorizo would be awesome in this.

And yes, the ground meat is browned and drained first.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2020, 08:47:22 AM »
Local supermarket has brisket for $2.99/pound, down from $6.59/pound.  Picked up a 20.5 pound brisket for $61.  Outstanding.  I don't think it will actually fit in my cabinet smoker, may have to get inventive with the normal propane grill in order to smoke this fucker.  It's ENORMOUS.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2020, 08:59:17 AM »
Local supermarket has brisket for $2.99/pound, down from $6.59/pound.  Picked up a 20.5 pound brisket for $61.  Outstanding.  I don't think it will actually fit in my cabinet smoker, may have to get inventive with the normal propane grill in order to smoke this fucker.  It's ENORMOUS.

Peanut butter and jealous. I've never seen brisket for under $6.49lb.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2020, 06:51:05 AM »
Gonna be a god day. I'm babysitting the offset while watching The Grand Tour under the new gazebo. Might even have a beer or six.

I'm not going to be making that queso though, even though I bought all the stuff for it. My sister's boyfriend is coming tomorrow and is bringing pulled pork nachos. I don't want to over do the chips seeing as it's just going to be five of us.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 06:59:49 AM by Chino »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2020, 07:52:44 AM »
Oh that is fucking amazing Chino. Off topic but what episode of Grand Tour are you watching?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2020, 07:57:56 AM »
Oh that is fucking amazing Chino. Off topic but what episode of Grand Tour are you watching?

I'm hopping through some of my favorite episodes. Just watched the three muscle cars in Detroit episode, and now I'm watching the one where they build John.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2020, 08:38:29 AM »
Did you watch the boat special? That's probably my favorite fromnGT. They took a but of a turn to have the show feel less scripted.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2020, 08:42:21 AM »
Did you watch the boat special? That's probably my favorite fromnGT. They took a but of a turn to have the show feel less scripted.
. Yeah, I loved that. I do miss the tent and individual car segments though. Clarkson said in an interview last week that Amazon has the new special done and ready for release. I expect it soon seeing as we're about six months since their boat special and they're suppose to release two per year.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: June 20, 2020, 03:46:26 PM »
I'll be amped to see that. I'm in the middle of a top gear re-watch and I forgot how many brilliant segments they had. Those 3 really have a special chemistry about them