Author Topic: The Barbecue Thread  (Read 39292 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Barbecue Thread
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2020, 08:32:19 AM »
mmmm more home made pizza!  I'lll have to upload the pizza we made last weekend although that will go to the food thread since I have no confidence in being able to grill a pizza at this point.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2020, 08:37:51 AM »
mmmm more home made pizza!  I'lll have to upload the pizza we made last weekend although that will go to the food thread since I have no confidence in being able to grill a pizza at this point.

It's easier than it looks and a lot of the experience comes from trial and error. Last weekend's smoked brisket was the 3rd time that I had done it and it was the best I've smoked. The 1st one was barely eatable. The 2nd one was decent. The 3rd was awesome compared to the 1st one (low bar haha). But I've been also doing the same brisket in the oven and that comes out way better and it's easier...anyways, don't be afraid. You win some, you will loose some..but the reward is very gratifying (and tasty!). Drink a couple of beers and the if it doesn't come out good, you'll have at least the beer to water down the flavor  :rollin

For pizza, I wouldn't start from making your dough. I would buy a pre-made dough or the pizza crust already made. And then you escalate it from there.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2020, 02:11:51 PM »
Oh yea, we've been buying premade dough and rolling it out myself which is always interesting since I can never make a perfect circle.  I just never really thought to grill it until seeing the picture.  The sad part is though, we're struggling to find the dough now.  It seems others are catching onto this fun home made pizza stuff so we were able to get a large pack of frozen dough but I'm worried it won't be as good as the fresh stuff. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »
Oh yea, we've been buying premade dough and rolling it out myself which is always interesting since I can never make a perfect circle.

That's why my pizzas are squares  :rollin :rollin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2020, 02:51:17 PM »
Oh yea, we've been buying premade dough and rolling it out myself which is always interesting since I can never make a perfect circle.

:lol I can't even do a square, it ends up being mostly round with some sharp edges.  Ive shared pics every week to my friends in our group chat and one finally said "I bet those pizzas are really good but the shapes really really piss me off"  :rollin

Offline Harmony

« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2020, 03:01:10 PM »
That's the part I struggle with too!  I don't care if they are perfect circles (or rectangles) but when I roll the dough, it just shrinks back into place.  A few YouTubes I've watched suggest that "hand tossing" and stretching the pie is the best way to go.  But I think I must lack some vital part of my brain that can catch onto how to do that.   :\
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2020, 06:24:56 AM »

:lol I can't even do a square, it ends up being mostly round with some sharp edges.  Ive shared pics every week to my friends in our group chat and one finally said "I bet those pizzas are really good but the shapes really really piss me off"  :rollin
As you can see in my pic, same. I usually go with an oval-ish rectangle, it's Rustic!

That's the part I struggle with too!  I don't care if they are perfect circles (or rectangles) but when I roll the dough, it just shrinks back into place.  A few YouTubes I've watched suggest that "hand tossing" and stretching the pie is the best way to go.  But I think I must lack some vital part of my brain that can catch onto how to do that.   :\

I used to struggle with this too, until I read to just wait 5-10 minutes, let the gluten rest, and you should be able to stretch it more.
It works for me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2020, 07:36:37 AM »
I suck at pizza (and all other) doughs. Even got some flour and roux to practice a bit, going to give a shot at pretzel rolls in the coming days.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »
Homemade pretzels are one of my favorite things.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2020, 08:17:44 AM »
I'm such a sucker for a good soft pretzel, never had home made ones though.  I'm sure they would be bangin

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2020, 08:18:47 AM »
I'm such a sucker for a good soft pretzel, never had home made ones though.  I'm sure they would be bangin

Give them a shot. They're actually super easy to make. I usually make sticks or pretzel wrapped hotdogs. Just need to be patient and let the dough rise like it's suppose to.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2020, 08:23:48 AM »
At my last job, the pastry chef made pretzel croissants, which were a bazillion times better than they sound. I thought about it, but upon looking through the process, figured I'd be better served with baby steps  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »
My wife makes homemade pretzels, and they're really f'n good. The doughy kind, not the crispy kind.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2020, 06:12:27 AM »
Made a pair of prime grade NY strips on the Kettle last night. Slow cooked them next to some lump coal and pecan chunks and then hit them with a reverse sear. I have to say, I think I might like NY strip more than ribeye. I don't know what it is. Flavor wise in a blind test, I'd honestly have a hard time telling one from the other, and the NY strips are like half the price.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2020, 07:43:24 AM »
The NY has always been my preferred cut, it just has the perfect amount of fatiness while still having such a good meat texture.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2020, 08:25:01 AM »
I'm a big fan of the NYS as well, for the reasons you gents have already listed. In addition, they are the perfect size for me and the Missus to share for a meal. Neither one of us needs, or desires, to eat an entire steak and the NY divides easily and fairly. It's kinda difficult to divide a porterhouse evenly.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2020, 08:25:56 AM »
Even in high end steak restaurants, that's where I go.   I just like the taste, the texture, and for me (I like a full-bodied red wine and grilled onions with my steak) it makes for a very satisfying bite.  Filet mignon is sometimes a little... soft, though that's not the right word.

At home, it's a very tolerant cook, in my opinion.  I like my steaks a little less done than my wife and kids, so to try to get filets to be to taste for everyone is a little more effort than I'm willing to put in for the price. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2020, 08:26:25 AM »
I'm a big fan of the NYS as well, for the reasons you gents have already listed. In addition, they are the perfect size for me and the Missus to share for a meal. Neither one of us needs, or desires, to eat an entire steak and the NY divides easily and fairly. It's kinda difficult to divide a porterhouse evenly.

Two words:  chop saw.   ;)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2020, 08:28:17 AM »
Gee, thanks, buddy!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2020, 09:55:54 AM »
Even in high end steak restaurants, that's where I go.   I just like the taste, the texture, and for me (I like a full-bodied red wine and grilled onions with my steak) it makes for a very satisfying bite.  Filet mignon is sometimes a little... soft, though that's not the right word.

At home, it's a very tolerant cook, in my opinion.  I like my steaks a little less done than my wife and kids, so to try to get filets to be to taste for everyone is a little more effort than I'm willing to put in for the price.

I always laugh at people who go to high end places and order a 70 dollar filet, knowing full well that they couldn't taste the difference between a 30 dollar one and a 70 dollar one.

And your use of soft is actually very fitting for what I was trying to describe. The NY has a certain mouth feel, it's tender, but still has texture. The filet is like meat cotton candy on the mouth.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2020, 07:45:11 PM »
Bacon wrapped, applewood smoked, jalapeno & cream cheese stuffed, chicken thighs.

Sooooo, good!  :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2020, 07:47:15 PM »
I'd hold the jalepeno and cream cheese but other than that, it looks amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »
You would be surprised, Tim. I scraped out all the seeds and veins from the jalapenos so they were really mild. Plus the cream cheese helps with lowering the heat and adds a nice peppery flavor.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2020, 07:54:02 PM »
They look perfect and I know they'd be fine without any jazzing up. But that's me.  :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2020, 07:55:15 PM »
I thought you'd be more upset about the green beans!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2020, 07:59:42 PM »
No, I'm fine with green beans. I eat them almost nightly. My wife made some nice asparagus last night, and I can eat that.

I can't do broccoli, zucchini, cabbage, peppers, onions, etc.  But green beans, no problem.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2020, 07:46:01 AM »

I am...what'd you do to those poor things?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2020, 02:33:40 PM »

I am...what'd you do to those poor things?

:lol

I like lots of black pepper!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »
Today’s cook

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2020, 03:21:05 PM »
yummy chicken and veggies

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »
So, that chicken above was good and all, but I was somewhat disappointed in a couple of areas. 1) The injection (butter, broth and thyme) wasn't that great--it kinda created pockets of flavor but left entire areas untouched. 2) the white meat was a bit TOO smokey tasting, especially at the outer edges. The dark meat was perfect though.

Mrs. P wants me to smoke another chicken tomorrow and I've decided (in order to address the issues above) that I'm going to brine the chicken overnight and only smoke it for half of its cook cycle.

lonestar,

If you read this, I'm going for a Mexican flavor profile which I think will pair well with the smoking. I've mixed up a water and salt brine with some chicken stock, garlic, a dried ancho chili, oregano, cumin, cayenne, brown sugar, lime zest, and lime juice. I've got it chilling in an ice bath right now and it smells wonderful, but I'd like your opinion on this mixture before I put the bird to bed. Is it over the top? Right now, I've got a little over a quart of brine, I could easily dilute it before using it if you think it would be wise. Or just start over if you have a better idea.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2020, 06:17:32 PM »
Sounds good to me, just make sure you do some proper tacos with it. I bet they'd be hella fucking dope.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2020, 06:24:38 PM »
That was kinda the idea!  :biggrin:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2020, 09:33:01 PM »
Excellent...

And here was tonight's goodies....yeah it's grilled and not BBQ'd, but honestly these were prime grade porterhouses, so for me that just needs S&P and high heat. The smoke would just bury the flavor. Sorry, no after pic, I totally spaced it, but it was killer. Got a gnarly case of the meat sweats now. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2020, 05:01:06 AM »
They look awesome