Author Topic: The Barbecue Thread  (Read 39226 times)

Offline New World Rushman

The Barbecue Thread
« on: April 09, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
All the BBQ talk in the Costco thread was making my mouth water so I think we need this thread.

Here's my cook from this past Saturday.
I smoked a rack of baby backs, using a modified 3-2-1 method, actually 2-2-1 (2 hours smoked, 2 hours wrapped, then 1 hour unwrapped and glazed with sauce).

Rubbed and on my Weber Kettle at around 225 using the snake method (charcoal briquettes stacked around the perimeter of the grill, then one end lit like a fuse, excellent method for long, low and slow cooks):

Getting wrapped in foil with a little cider vinegar and beer added. Wrapping liquid steams the meat a little and helps tenderize the ribs if you want fall-off-the-bone ribs, I actually wanted pull-out-the-bone ribs.

After two hours wrapped and an hour glazed, almost ready to eat:

The reason I wanted pull-out-the-bone ribs?
A homemade McRib sandwich:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Barbecue Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 01:14:55 PM »
That looks fantastic.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 01:16:26 PM »
Yesss

Makin' Bacon

Afternoon smoke with a buddy and a random plate from that day

Butts and baby backs

Belly of the beast

Spatchcocked birds (different rubs on each), some spicy sausage, and cut up pig ears for the dog

Brisket (flat and point). Sorry for the lack of a money shot on this one :/

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 02:28:53 PM »
Nice work, gentlemen. Myself, I have to pay others to smoke meat.  :sadpanda:
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online T-ski

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
great, now I'm hungry.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 02:40:39 PM »
wow everything above looks so good, I wasn't hungry and my stomach just growled.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 11:48:22 AM »
Goddamn I should not have opened this thread. I am starving!

We've got a great BBQ place here that started out as just a catering business, and the guy just recently got himself a storefront. Very simple menu. Dude does Briskey, Tri Tip, Chicken, Pulled Pork, and Baby Back Ribs. For sides he has Beans (which are fucking phenomenal), Mac n Cheese, and Slaw (meh). That's it. You can get 1-2 meat plates, ribs by the half rack or full rack. meat by the lbs, or sandwiches (based on what breads he has on hand... sometimes sliders).

The place is good enough that my best friend, after eating there once, hired them to cater their wedding in July.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »
I can smell that from here!   (And it's all good).  That bacon looks especially promising. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 07:39:51 AM »
Looks amazing, I was going to do some BBQ this weekend but the weather is shit, maybe next weekend.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 08:18:26 AM »
Ugh...I'm rocking a serious food boner from those pics and it's barely 7am here. Obviously I've done a fair share of BBQ, even on a competition level a few times with my buddy's team. For ribs I always preferred a overnight brine then a complete smoke at around 200 with a good dry rub, then a finishing glaze with sauce for the last 30 minutes (in competition sauce is always on side, it hides the crispy goodness of the smoke crust). I really don't have the time or desire these days to do it, but maybe with having weekends off all the time now, I may drop a few dimes on a cheap smoker and get it rolling again, can't beat the simple beauty of properly smoked meat.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 09:23:27 AM »
Need to subscribe to this thread. Been living in the Austin area for 6 years and everyday my love for barbecue grows. I've experimented with some rubs but really haven't found my sweet spot yet.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 07:09:11 PM »
Need to subscribe to this thread. Been living in the Austin area for 6 years and everyday my love for barbecue grows. I've experimented with some rubs but really haven't found my sweet spot yet.
What's your favorite place down there?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online goo-goo

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 09:11:09 PM »
So far Valentina's BBQ in South Austin. Pure bliss!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 09:45:13 PM »
Man I wish we had more high caliber old school BBQ joints here, most of the places feel they need to add some douchey hipster edge to it, and they lose their BBQ purity in the process. I'd sacrifice one or two of my killer local Mexican joints for a good BBQ joint in a heartbeat (granted I got 5 killer Mexican joints within a mile of me, so there's room to spare)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 05:59:57 AM »
I love the BBQ we have around here in Charlotte, some really good stuff and Midwood Smokehouse and Mac's Speed Shop.

As much as I love BBQ I would trade it all to get the seafood I had in Florida back. There isn't any place around here that has anything fresh, you're honestly better at going to red lobster.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 10:17:46 AM »
I love my pellet smoker to death, but I also like playing with fire. I'm picking this up for just $50 tomorrow. A buddy of mine bought a similar used one for $75 (pictured above) 5 or 6 years ago and it's still running strong. I figured that at just $50, it's worth the gamble. Outside of needing a fresh coat of paint, it seems to be in okay shape.

I've got this Saturday and Sunday off. It's the first time I've had a weekend day off (let alone two days in a row) since Last October. I'm thinking of doing a brisket on the pellet smoker and some pork butts in this new thing.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/hsh/d/thomaston-smoker/6858543802.html

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 10:19:31 AM »
Disregard - Duplicate Post

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 06:24:03 AM »
This was half of my Easter haul.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 05:26:05 PM »
Making some pork belly burnt ends for tonight's Battlebots watch party  :hat

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »
That looks great

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »
Brisket I made on the fourth, resting sexily on some some baby backs.

There's no filter on that photo. That's how the ring looked. This was my first time using some rubs on a brisket other than salt and pepper. I started with a salt and pepper rub, then a bit of some pork barrel BBQ blend, and finally some Montreal steak seasoning. The last one was primarily for the really course and chunky bits of garlic, peppers, salt, etc..

I thought it came out great, as did the fam. I've always been a salt/pepper only kind of guy on brisket, but I'd like to experiment a bit more with the different blends.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 09:35:50 AM »
That is truly some sexy meat.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 09:41:18 AM »
yummm

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 05:10:48 PM »
My mouth is watering after seeing those pictures.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2019, 05:34:52 PM »
Agreed. That's looks incredible

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 02:24:43 AM »
So here comes a noob question: how come the edges are red when the meat is cooked through?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 06:36:32 AM »
Thanks y'all.

So here comes a noob question: how come the edges are red when the meat is cooked through?

According to the internet:

The smoke ring is produced by a chemical reaction between the pigment in the meat and the gases produced from wood or charcoal. When burned, these organic fuels produce nitrogen dioxide gas. This gas infuses into the surface of the meat as it cooks surrounded by the smoke. It reacts with water in the meat and produces nitric oxide.

Myoglobin is the iron-containing purple pigment in meat. When meat is exposed to air, it reacts with oxygen to develop a bright red color that you might think is blood, but isn't. The red or pink color of raw meat is due to this oxygenated myoglobin. When cooked, or exposed to air for a longer duration, it turns brown as the oxygen escapes (basically, the iron in the myoglobin rusts).

But when myoglobin is exposed to nitric oxide, it binds to the myoglobin and blocks oxygen attaching. This retains the pick color even when cooked. The nitric oxide stabilizes the myoglobin and binds tighter than oxygen, preventing the production of the brown metmyoglobin form with cooking.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 06:40:41 AM »
Nice looking smoke ring, I have yet to perfect brisket.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 06:47:12 AM »
No smoking/barbecue for me this past weekend as I was at my Mother-in-law's and only had her propane grill at my disposal.
Here's some pics of my cooks over the 4th weekend:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 07:32:36 AM »
I want some of the corn so bad. Did you have cayenne pepper on it? I always put some on mine and get that dark red color.

The steaks look great too.

Where are you from? We don't take too kindly to yellow cheese on burgers where I'm from (Puts on fightin' hat )

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 07:48:54 AM »
Whats the issue with yellow cheese on a burger?  Love yellow cheddar burgers

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 07:52:41 AM »
Whats the issue with yellow cheese on a burger?  Love yellow cheddar burgers

Finding yellow cheese that can be sliced for burgers like that is near impossible where I live (you can get shredded and blocks of yellow cheddar). Yellow American is the closest you can find if you want burger to look like that, and even then, white it the primary choice up here.

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 09:31:51 AM »
I'm in NJ, but these pics were taken at my M-I-L's in Lewes, DE.

Yellow American is my go-to for cheeseburgers, and fairly standard around here. Maybe cheddar if I'm feeling fancy.

The Mexican street corn was basted with a chili-lime crema made with mayo, juice of one lime, chili powder, and cumin.

I usually top it off with grated parm (cotija cheese is traditional, but I never have it on hand).

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2019, 09:37:09 AM »
great, now I'm hungry.

This. And its only 8:37 a.m. Lovely.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 09:40:04 AM »
Oh another Jersey dude  :yarr

I didn't realize sliced yellow cheese wasn't popular in connecticut.  I guess now that I think of it, just cheddar and american yellow cheeses are all I see usually, the rest are white.  But I'm just a big yellow cheddar fan.