Poll

Which grouping of songs do you like best?

Do You Feel Like We Do? (Peter Frampton), Purple Haze (Jimi Hendrix) & Burning Heart (Vandenberg)
Two Tickets to Paradise (Eddie Money), Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh) & Children of the Sun (Billy Thorpe)
Reelin' in the Years (Steely Dan), La Grange (ZZ Top) & Who's Behind the Door? (Zebra)
25 or 6 to 4 (Chicago), Pride and Joy (Stevie Ray Vaughan) & Phoenix (Dan Fogelberg)
Fly Like an Eagle (Steve Miller Band), Cocaine (Eric Clapton) & Why Me? (Planet P Project)

Voting closes: January 17, 2025, 05:53:11 PM

Author Topic: Classic Rock Song Wars Part IV  (Read 1174 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Classic Rock Song Wars Part IV
« on: April 07, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
Vote for which grouping like you best.

Some deeper classic rock cuts in this one, but I suspect the older peeps here like me will know all or most of them.

This was tough for me between 3 and 4, but I went with 4.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Classic Rock Song Wars Part IV
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 06:55:40 PM »
Tough choice between 1 and 3.

Went with 1.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 06:56:20 PM »
For me it was a tough choice between 1 and 4. Ultimately went with 4.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 07:11:04 PM »
Do You Feel Like We Do? 5
Purple Haze 2
Burning Heart - Wasn't familiar but knew it once I youtubed it 2
Total 9

Two Tickets to Paradise 3
Rocky Mountain Way 2
Children of the Sun 3
Total 9

Reelin' in the Years 1
La Grange 4
Who's Behind the Door? Never heard
Total 5

25 or 6 to 4 2
Pride and Joy 1
Phoenix - Never heard
Total 3

Fly Like an Eagle 1
Cocaine  1
Why Me? - Never heard 
Total: 2

Not much good stuff here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 07:46:51 AM »
Probably with TAC on this one.   I like the two songs in 2 best, but "Children Of The Sun" is excruciating to me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »
I used to love Children of the Sun, largely because the beginning was pretty bad ass to show off your stereo system, but I gave it a listen recently and wasn't as enamored with it.  I won't say I don't like it anymore, but I don't think it has aged as well as many other songs from the same time period.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
- I don't know any of the songs in group 1
- I think TTTP and Rocky Mountain Way are super annoying, don't know CotS
- Group 3 is a strong contender for sure
- Group 4 is a really strong contender
- I don't know the Planet P song in group 5 but the other 2 are the most annoying songs in this thread

Gotta go group 4.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »
how can you vote against Zebra?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 08:44:19 AM »

You don't know Purple Haze?? :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 08:48:38 AM »

You don't know Purple Haze?? :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

:facepalm: I forgot to say 'except PH'. D'oh!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »
There is not a group in which I like all 3 songs. 3 and 4 are the top contenders and I went with 3.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
how can you vote against Zebra?

It was hard, but while I LOVE Steely Dan, and really like ZZ Top, I'm not enamored of Reelin' In The Years or La Grange.   If you had "Rikki..." and "Just Got Paid" then Group 3 with a BULLET.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 11:32:28 AM »
Not really a great batch of songs.

Category 1:  Purple Haze - 1.5; Burning Heart - 3; don't recognize the Frampton song by name.  Total - 4.5.

Category 2:  Two Tickets to Paradise - 3.5; Rocky Mountain Way - 2; don't even know who Billy Thorpe is much less recognize the song by name.  Total - 5.5.

Category 3:  Reelin' in the Years - 3; La Grange - 0; Who's Behind the Door - 4.  Total - 7.

Category 4:  25 or 6 to 4 - 4.5; Pride and Joy - 1; don't recognize the Fogelberg song by name.  Total - 5.5.

Category 5:  Fly Like an Eagle - 2.5; Cocaine - 1; don't even know who Planet P Project is....  Total - 3.5.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »
don't recognize the Frampton song by name. 

The one with the talk box.  You know it.  They play it for you when you get your social security card, as a matter of law.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
don't recognize the Frampton song by name. 

The one with the talk box.  You know it.  They play it for you when you get your social security card, as a matter of law.

Yeah...that narrows it right down.

As far as I know, the only Frampton song I know is "Show Me the Way."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »
Third group.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 01:20:39 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »
I went with Cream, I probably don't even know half the songs listed.  So these polls really aren't for me but I felt like voting because Cocaine is such a cool song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 02:14:35 PM »

Haha, oops.  :biggrin:

It was hard, but while I LOVE Steely Dan, and really like ZZ Top, I'm not enamored of Reelin' In The Years or La Grange.   If you had "Rikki..." and "Just Got Paid" then Group 3 with a BULLET.

Ew. I love Reelin' in the Years, but really dislike Rikki Don't Lose That Number.  I like almost all of Steely Dan's familiar classic rock tunes, but not that one.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »
I was just thinking... I do not know if I have ever heard the album version of Do You Feel Like We Do? The live version is a classic rock staple (at least here) and a 5* song for me.

I never liked any of Hendrix's music for whatever reason. I also never really got in to grunge. I hate coffee. And have never been skiing. I am not a techie. I am generally right-of-center politically. I was totally born in the wrong part of the country.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 01:16:57 AM »
- don't know CotS
- I don't know the Planet P song in group 5

aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 07:42:41 AM »
 :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 08:21:22 AM »

Haha, oops.  :biggrin:

Ew. I love Reelin' in the Years, but really dislike Rikki Don't Lose That Number.  I like almost all of Steely Dan's familiar classic rock tunes, but not that one.

Oh, but that piano... I think it's Michael Omartian, but it is so beautiful, in my opinion.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
Maybe it's a regional thing, but I have listened to classic rock stations all over North Carolina (and South Carolina, when on vacation) all of my life, and I have never heard Vandenburg, Zebra, or Planet P Project on a classic rock station, and only rarely have I heard Dan Fogelburg.

In fact, I don't think I've ever even heard of Planet P Project.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Maybe it's a regional thing, but I have listened to classic rock stations all over North Carolina (and South Carolina, when on vacation) all of my life, and I have never heard Vandenburg, Zebra, or Planet P Project on a classic rock station, and only rarely have I heard Dan Fogelburg.

Yeah. I've only ever heard of Zebra because of the Internet, and I've never even read about Vandenburg or Planet P til this thread! Central Illinois here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 11:02:44 AM »
Planet P and Vandenberg are almost exclusively MTV creations in this neck of the woods (the Northeast), but if you grew up within spitting distance of the Tri-State Area (southern New York/northern New Jersey/southwestern Connecticut) you knew Zebra, because they gigged like maniacs, and local radio (for me, WPLR out of New Haven) they played them.

Likewise, to me, Twisted Sister and Motley Crue are basically interchangeable.  Motley Crue is "Best Mayonnaise" and Twisted Sister is "Hellmann's Mayonnaise".   Twisted was LEGENDARY for their early gigs here in NY/NJ.  Crue?  Not so much. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 11:06:24 AM »

Same with me here in WA.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »

Yeah. I've only ever heard of Zebra because of the Internet, and I've never even read about Vandenburg or Planet P til this thread! Central Illinois here.

I've never heard of Planet P Project (or Billy Thorpe), and I don't recognize the listed songs by name.

I know Vandenberg because "Burning Heart" got a fair amount of play on MTV in the early days.  I couldn't name another song by the band.  Adrian Vandenberg spent a few years in Whitesnake and was at least nominally in the band for its most popular album and the follow up.  I otherwise know of nothing he's ever done.

Zebra hit MTV around the same time but had at least two songs that got regular play ("Who's Behind the Door" and "Tell Me What You Want").  They died out pretty quickly after that, but I assume they (like just about every band from the 80s) are still plugging away.