Author Topic: The Official Dream Theater’s beer - Barstool Warrior  (Read 9086 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Official Dream Theater’s beer - Barstool Warrior
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »
What they do is Work with the brewer of the brewery. They talk with what type of beer they want and how He/JP/DT want it to taste. After the brewer does his thing, its time for tasting. It goes on until the brewer gets close or exactly to what the collaborator wants.

I figured they just found the lowest bidding brewery and slapped their name on whatever one of their beers was selling the worst.

Brian, why would and band want to put their name on the worst beer sold at a particular brewery?  That makes no financial sense.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 09:53:57 AM »
What they do is Work with the brewer of the brewery. They talk with what type of beer they want and how He/JP/DT want it to taste. After the brewer does his thing, its time for tasting. It goes on until the brewer gets close or exactly to what the collaborator wants.

I figured they just found the lowest bidding brewery and slapped their name on whatever one of their beers was selling the worst.

Well that's what I'm thinking they do. Seems more likely. But if they want to be cheap, they could do what you said.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »
If I get the chance to head to our local brewery, I'll ask the owner how he would go about collaborations.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2019, 10:02:22 AM »

Brian, why would and band want to put their name on the worst beer sold at a particular brewery?  That makes no financial sense.

Yes it does. It immediately spikes an audience for that under-performing beer, increasing sales.

I'm not saying that is what they do, but any time you put an established brand name, even if a niche name, on a product, sales will increase.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2019, 10:15:34 AM »

Because people buy the novelty, not the product. I'll try and hunt down a pack of this stuff and I'm not going to open or try any of them. I hate any beer that isn't Corona, Heineken, or Coors, but I still have a collection of space-themed beers because of the names and artwork on them. I'll put this in my office somewhere near those.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »
I can tell you what, it it's piss poor beer, no one will buy it again and that give DT a bad name.  That's never good business and I'd put money down that's not how it goes. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »
I can tell you what, it it's piss poor beer, no one will buy it again and that give DT a bad name.  That's never good business and I'd put money down that's not how it goes.

It could be the worst beer in the history of human existence and it won't impact DT's concert attendance or album sales in any capacity. No one is going to say "on second thought, let's not go see DT next week. That beer that brewery slapped their name on was shit"  :lol
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:15:55 AM by Chino »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 10:40:00 AM »

It could be the worst beer in the history of human existence and it won't impact DT's concert attendance or album says in any capacity. No one is going to say "on second thought, let's not go see DT next week. That beer that brewery slapped their name on was shit"  :lol

But their fans are mostly dudes.  You know, dudes and beer! :lol

Seriously, 311 and Iron Maiden both had say in their beers and worked with the brewers.  I'd expect the same for DT.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »
Brewmasters can make a new beer, I don't see why they need to relabel a poor selling one, they just stop selling it if people don't like it, use that equipment and change the recipe for something new.  I did a tour of the Cape May brewery last year, they showed us how it's made and where they add the ingredients and whatnot, also how they do different batches for seasons and special occasions and how internally they are always messing around and making different beers to try.  I'm pretty sure bands aren't paying to relabel a poor beer, they are making a new one but I am not sure how much of the band's "taste" goes into it, but I'm guessing they can suggest a type of beer and what they are looking for.

Out of curiosity, I looked up 311's Amber Ale and it says it was brewed in partnership with the band, whatever that means.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 11:57:52 AM »
If I recall correctly, Maiden was selling their beer in the last US tour or the one before. Not sure if DT's beer and brewery would support that kind of scale production but it could work. I still have an unopened Maiden Trooper beer from the 1st batches.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2019, 12:01:03 PM »
If I recall correctly, Maiden was selling their beer in the last US tour or the one before. Not sure if DT's beer and brewery would support that kind of scale production but it could work. I still have an unopened Maiden Trooper beer from the 1st batches.

Well, here is my hope.  The beer is being introduced Thursday at a bar in Brooklyn (DT themselves are guest bartenders, looks like it would be fun) and their NYC show is Friday, it doesn't seem that difficult to get a get or two over to the venue for Friday, but I am ignoring things like licensing and whatever to actually be able to sell cups of beers, but it seems logistically possible for at least Friday's show.

Also, IM not only had thier beer sold in the venue, the NJ show on their last tour, the bars near the venue had kegs of it for sale.  I had quite a few for that show.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2019, 01:24:31 PM »
Very cool!  Would be awesome to have a Dream Theater beer served by members of Dream Theater surrounded by other Dream Theater fans while Dream Theater music blasts throughout the bar.  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2019, 03:24:41 PM »
I just wish the IPA craze stopped some time soon. We need more high quality pilsners.
Boy, no kidding.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2019, 04:12:14 PM »
I would love to try this one, at least, it will look cool. I usually only like stouts and a few others, but I hope to find this!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
Very cool!  Would be awesome to have a Dream Theater beer served by members of Dream Theater surrounded by other Dream Theater fans while Dream Theater music blasts throughout the bar.  :metal
Which is why someone needs to go to this and report back to the board  :corn
not that you guys need any prompting but I had to say that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2019, 06:13:13 PM »
Which is why someone needs to go to this and report back to the board  :corn
not that you guys need any prompting but I had to say that.

I'm honestly tempted to go and get a video of JLB serving someone  :lol but Brooklyn on a Thursday when I am seeing DT Wednesday in NJ near my home and hopefully (if I can get two tickets) again Friday in Manhatten, it makes another night out in a further location harder to do.  But damn, I really want to go.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »
I think I'm going to go :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2019, 05:28:11 AM »
Would be cool if they had it on tap at concerts.

Unlikely.
Most venues have catering/drinks contracts in place, and it's not possible to introduce a competing beverage. Iron Maiden tend to find independent bars near the venue, or at least in the same city, and get them to stock Trooper beer for the duration, and point their thirsty fans in that direction.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2019, 06:17:49 AM »
Would be cool if they had it on tap at concerts.

Unlikely.
Most venues have catering/drinks contracts in place, and it's not possible to introduce a competing beverage. Iron Maiden tend to find independent bars near the venue, or at least in the same city, and get them to stock Trooper beer for the duration, and point their thirsty fans in that direction.

Yea, I figured actually being able to sell it would be difficult considering concessions are a big thing for the venue and adding your own beer per show is logistically a nightmare unless you are some big time band that can make it work like IM.  Just figured, it would be cool though. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2019, 12:48:37 PM »
I am pretty close to 100% sure this isn't a custom beer. Breweries can't just easily make a "small batch", they are built for volume, and batches come in hundreds to thousands of liters. What *is* easily done is to print a custom label.

And ... Barstool Warrior is a Pilsner with 5% ABV. Guess what other beer is a Pilsner with 5% ABV? Barrier Brewing's "Imposter" beer.

EDIT: There's no reason to assume the beer is bad or poor-selling. It's just remarketing an existing product, it's a way of exposing a specific target demographic to your product.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:56:01 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2019, 02:20:33 PM »
Or it could have been any of the following:

Inebriation Theory
Malt-tropolis
A Stout to Crash

Thread should've ended here. MAN, what a missed opportunity. Inebriation Theory is killing me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2019, 02:51:25 PM »
I am pretty close to 100% sure this isn't a custom beer. Breweries can't just easily make a "small batch", they are built for volume, and batches come in hundreds to thousands of liters. What *is* easily done is to print a custom label.

And ... Barstool Warrior is a Pilsner with 5% ABV. Guess what other beer is a Pilsner with 5% ABV? Barrier Brewing's "Imposter" beer.

EDIT: There's no reason to assume the beer is bad or poor-selling. It's just remarketing an existing product, it's a way of exposing a specific target demographic to your product.

I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case, but craft breweries also often have pilot systems for small experiments and test batches that can come in at under 100 liters. 5% is also a pretty standard pilsner ABV, they could have easily done a small batch version based on Imposter and maybe just changed up the hops or something.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Shreddy

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2019, 11:04:18 AM »

All of that is happening tonight!

https://www.facebook.com/events/361736944548409/

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
Went to the release tonight and had a pretty good time. I got there at a little before 7 and the bar was crowded, but not packed. The bar played D/T on repeat until about 9, when they decided to throw on Awake instead :metal The band showed up individually around 7:30 and initially ducked into the green room (this was at a metal bar that has a small performance area, Metal Allegiance has played at this bar at least once). A little while later they started coming out for guest bartending gigs. First was JP and Mike Mangini, then Jordan and James, then Myung. Mangini definitely seemed the most into it as far as I'm thinking maybe he's into craft beer himself. The rest of the band were all personable while basically just hanging out behind the bar and handing out free beers. Unsurprisingly, JM seemed more content to just smile and nod at people than really hand out any beers :lol An hour at most after it started the band left. The bar ran out of cans of the beer by 8:45, and I left a little after 9.

I chatted for a few minutes with a friend of mine who works for the brewery DT partnered with for this. He told me that this isn't just a re-branding of an existing beer, the band came out to the brewery and spent an afternoon tasting through the brewery's lineup and talked likes and dislikes and the brewers took it from there. They plan on doing a much bigger run of this beer over the summer so that they can send a bunch of cans overseas to sell at the various festivals DT are playing. The band eventually wants to roll out multiple different label arts for the beer and then multiple different styles of beer.

My personal reaction (as a craft beer geek) is that the beer was very solid, but unlikely to particularly blow most peoples' minds. It's essentially a slightly more hoppy than usual pilsner, and well made.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2019, 06:35:49 AM »
Sounds awesome, and yea was definitely looking forward to your thoughts on the beer but it's no surprise it's solid but nothing special.  I think the bands aren't going to go after something really unique because it would be harder to sell, maybe if they do pull off more variations down the line.

Was it possible to get a beer handed from one of the DT guys or was it too packed that only like some lucky few got ones from the band? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2019, 07:19:02 AM »
Went to the release tonight and had a pretty good time. I got there at a little before 7 and the bar was crowded, but not packed. The bar played D/T on repeat until about 9, when they decided to throw on Awake instead :metal The band showed up individually around 7:30 and initially ducked into the green room (this was at a metal bar that has a small performance area, Metal Allegiance has played at this bar at least once). A little while later they started coming out for guest bartending gigs. First was JP and Mike Mangini, then Jordan and James, then Myung. Mangini definitely seemed the most into it as far as I'm thinking maybe he's into craft beer himself. The rest of the band were all personable while basically just hanging out behind the bar and handing out free beers. Unsurprisingly, JM seemed more content to just smile and nod at people than really hand out any beers :lol An hour at most after it started the band left. The bar ran out of cans of the beer by 8:45, and I left a little after 9.

I chatted for a few minutes with a friend of mine who works for the brewery DT partnered with for this. He told me that this isn't just a re-branding of an existing beer, the band came out to the brewery and spent an afternoon tasting through the brewery's lineup and talked likes and dislikes and the brewers took it from there. They plan on doing a much bigger run of this beer over the summer so that they can send a bunch of cans overseas to sell at the various festivals DT are playing. The band eventually wants to roll out multiple different label arts for the beer and then multiple different styles of beer.

My personal reaction (as a craft beer geek) is that the beer was very solid, but unlikely to particularly blow most peoples' minds. It's essentially a slightly more hoppy than usual pilsner, and well made.
That sounds awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2019, 07:21:32 AM »
Wow, color me surprised then about that it's actually a new beer. I did not expect breweries would do something of that (small) scale.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2019, 08:30:31 AM »
Wow, color me surprised then about that it's actually a new beer. I did not expect breweries would do something of that (small) scale.

This is a standard practice when a band or TV/Movie start gets involved.  Not that they are tinkering a lot but it's like making meatloaf.  You tweak the recipe for the the person you are serving. 

Some others like Will Wheaton will brew with a brewer and have his name on the bottle.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »
Would love to get a hold of one of those cans.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2019, 10:11:23 AM »

Its not hard to come up with new beers. This local place here called Kaktus never really has a signature beer. They brew one batch and when its gone, its gone.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2019, 01:15:22 PM »
Oh, I brew beer myself, I know how easy it is to modify an existing recipe. What I didn't think they would do is to dedicate an entire batch for this, which is usually a lot of beer. Then again, I really don't know how big this brewery is. I know a lot of microbreweries send their recipes to big breweries like Sam Adams and have it produced there.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2019, 03:04:41 PM »
Beer is available for ordering through the Tavour app. $6.99 per can.

Online pg1067

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2019, 03:18:10 PM »

An app?  I can't just go to a web site and order it?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2019, 03:20:54 PM »

An app?  I can't just go to a web site and order it?

I think you can do it through here
https://about.tavour.com/

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »
Hey goo -- thanks so much for the tip!  You got an invite code to share?  I think it gets both of us a $10 credit!
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...