Author Topic: Mostly Autumn  (Read 967 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Mostly Autumn
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »
Any other fans of Mostly Autumn here? I'm currently listening to White Rainbow, their latest album, and felt like starting a thread for this band. I've got four of their albums: Glass Shadows, The Ghost Moon Orchestra, Sight of Day and White Rainbow. Bryan Josh is an incredible guitarist, one of those able to wring every last drop of emotion out of his instrument. The 14-minute title track to Sight of Day contains one of my favourite guitar solos by anyone, ever.

Anyway, not sure if this thread will gain much traction, but if you're a fan, let me hear ya!

Offline Peter Mc

Re: Mostly Autumn
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »
I saw them open for someone once, possibly Blackmore’s Night, and enjoyed them a lot. I’ve very nearly bought an album by them a few times but don’t really know where to start. I got the impression they were quite folky with a really nice sounding female singer with more of a soothing voice than a big powerhouse vocalist. If that’s what they are then they would fill a gap in my album collection that I have tried to fill.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 01:45:39 AM »
At the moment, the main vocalists are Olivia Sparnenn and Bryan Josh. Until 2008, Heather Findlay was the main female lead. They are quite folky, but they're also quite capable of rocking out too.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 05:49:51 AM »
MA are from York in England and initially displayed 70s prog in their songs, most notably Pink Floyd with a bit of Rainbow and Jethro Tull influencing them. The pick of the early albums for me was The Last Bright Light, after which they started to steer away a little from the folky influences. With revolving door line ups, particularly drummers, they built up a terrific live following and regularly headlined the outdoor Blakey Ridge festival at the Lion Inn on top of the North York Moors, as well as often playing the Cambridge Folk Festival, and tours into Europe, particularly Holland. My then girlfriend and I saw them quite a few times and loved the ethereal image that Heather brought to their performances, as well the searing quality solos Bryan seemed to pull off (he's a great writer too). Certainly they can rock, although I have lost touch with them a bit now that I live in Shanghai (and Heather has left). So I haven't seen them for over 10 years now. Still, Livvy is a terrific singer and I understand their more recent albums have been almost, if not as good as, the days when Rick Wright praised them on BBC Radio 2. Nowadays they are pretty much a cottage label band, which is a bit of a shame as great things were hoped for them for a while. However they kept control of their sound and direction, which was very important to Bryan as the founder. I hope they can get further recognition but after more than 20 years it's a little late now.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 06:11:31 AM »
White Rainbow is very good, but it lacks variety. They should have put something a little different on there just to break it up a bit. And it's pretty obvious they've been listening to Nightwish, the influences are obvious. Like SilentMac says, if they were going to break through and make it big, they would have done it when Heather was in the band. They're still good, but they're on a downwards trajectory these days.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
And it's pretty obvious they've been listening to Nightwish, the influences are obvious.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Like SilentMac says, if they were going to break through and make it big, they would have done it when Heather was in the band.

We all know prog's not about making it big. They're doing their thing, and their last two albums have been stunning in this listener's opinion. So I beg to differ re:

They're still good, but they're on a downwards trajectory these days.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 12:44:14 PM »
They just released a new album yesterday.  I got into them originally via the Ayreon connection, so after Heather left I didn't pay much attention to their newer material, but I must say that Olivia is really starting to win me over now.  This is a pretty great album and likely to be one of my favorites of the year. 

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »
Any other fans of Mostly Autumn here? I'm currently listening to White Rainbow, their latest album, and felt like starting a thread for this band. I've got four of their albums: Glass Shadows, The Ghost Moon Orchestra, Sight of Day and White Rainbow. Bryan Josh is an incredible guitarist, one of those able to wring every last drop of emotion out of his instrument. The 14-minute title track to Sight of Day contains one of my favourite guitar solos by anyone, ever.

Anyway, not sure if this thread will gain much traction, but if you're a fan, let me hear ya!

Yes I totally agree. Also discovered them this year and love them. White Rainbow is such an amazing album and their music is always great. It reminds be a little bit of Weather System by Anathema. The emotion, the great vocals from both female and male and the amazing guitar solos.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one