Poll

Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper or Home?

Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
81 (72.3%)
Home
31 (27.7%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper or Home?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper or Home?
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2019, 07:16:44 AM »
This one is tricky. I think I actually prefer Home but if I was to objectively look at it, I think Metropolis is the superior song so I went with that.

What makes Metropolis Part 1 objectively better than Home?

Metropolis has Kevin Moore and Home does not. Game over.  :biggrin: :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2019, 07:17:56 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2019, 04:29:09 PM »
This one is tricky. I think I actually prefer Home but if I was to objectively look at it, I think Metropolis is the superior song so I went with that.

Hard to articulate but I think overall Metropolis has is more diverse, more (as in quantity) memorable melodies but don't just sound thrown together for the sake of being complex, and has a more epic feel. Home trumps Metropolis in the heavy department and has great melodies and emotion but just isn't as grand. I come from a more metal/Sabbath background so I personally love all that about Home but not by a lot. I guess all that makes Metropolis more accessible.

Of course, objectivity is moot when talking about music but by my own metrics that's where I put it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2019, 05:37:07 PM »

Hard to articulate but I think overall Metropolis has is more diverse, more (as in quantity) memorable melodies but don't just sound thrown together for the sake of being complex, and has a more epic feel. Home trumps Metropolis in the heavy department and has great melodies and emotion but just isn't as grand. I come from a more metal/Sabbath background so I personally love all that about Home but not by a lot. I guess all that makes Metropolis more accessible.

Of course, objectivity is moot when talking about music but by my own metrics that's where I put it.

I see.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »
I love "Home". Beautiful song. But Metropolis is a masterpiece.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Lethean

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2019, 04:53:46 PM »
I voted for Home.   I guess because I like it better, though both songs are great.  But Scenes is my favorite album and I just love the energy of Home and it feels like it's more than just that one song.  Plus, I've seen Metropolis way more live and seeing Home recently was so good.  Which isn't really a reason to vote for Home I suppose, but it all plays into it.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 06:04:13 PM »
Metropolis, but Home is of course very good as well.

Offline adamack

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2019, 05:51:45 PM »
There are times when I think Home is my favorite DT song ever. Though Octavarium always steps into the room and says hello.

But still Home has got to at least be in my top 5. I love Metropolis, but there is just something so satisfying about Home.

In terms of melody and the way the song builds, it’s masterfully crafted. And I still say it has their best chorus ever! And DT’s best backup vocals. They are mesmerizing

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2019, 02:19:03 AM »

I didn't even think about that. Has nothing to do with me liking Metropolis better though.
When the master Jordan Rudess starts his wizardry, Kevin Moore can go home. pun intended
any rock can be made to roll

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2019, 05:55:33 AM »

[/quote]

Both wonderful songs and at one time or another were my to go for songs on their respective albums. The clinch for me is the atmospheric KM inspired intro for M1, which I believe David Prater had some hand in. This intro was even a self made ringtone on my phone for a while. The atmospherics are still there on Home, but M1 grabs me more. JR may be more of a technician, but KM had that touch.
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2019, 10:24:09 AM »
Both wonderful songs and at one time or another were my to go for songs on their respective albums. The clinch for me is the atmospheric KM inspired intro for M1, which I believe David Prater had some hand in. This intro was even a self made ringtone on my phone for a while. The atmospherics are still there on Home, but M1 grabs me more. JR may be more of a technician, but KM had that touch.

The intro was pretty much fully written before Prater came into the picture.  Check out the I&W demos.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:38:45 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have willingly sat through the entire length of Home.

Metropolis by a country mile.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"