Poll

Which grouping of songs do you like best?

Radar Love (Golden Earring), For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield) & Never Been Any Reason (Head East)
Magic Man (Heart), Walk Away (James Gang) & Solsbury Hill (Peter Gabriel)
Fat Bottomed Girls (Queen), I'd Love to Change the World (Ten Years After) & Cool Change (Little River Band)
Crystal Ball (Styx), Born to Run (Bruce Springsteen) & Flirtin' With Disaster (Molly Hatchet)
Closer to the Heart (Rush), Running on Empty (Jackson Browne) & Black Magic Woman (Santana)

Voting closes: January 14, 2025, 07:11:39 PM

Author Topic: Classic Rock Song Wars - Part III  (Read 915 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Classic Rock Song Wars - Part III
« on: April 04, 2019, 08:11:39 PM »
Vote for which grouping like you best.

2 and 3 are the best for me, with 3 getting the slight edge.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Classic Rock Song Wars - Part III
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 08:12:51 PM »
Tough choice between 4 and 5 for me..

Went with 5.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 08:14:00 PM »
And this is one where some of us will show our age.  Some of the younger folks might not know some of these, but these are all major classic rock staples that should be heard by any rock fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 08:30:44 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm having trouble placing the Head East song by name.

EDIT: Just youtubed it. yes I've heard that. Not really a staple by any means around here though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:50:27 PM »
Definitely all classic rock radio staples, or at least regulars. None of them are 1s but none of them are 5s either. Will post scores later.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 12:17:05 AM »
Going with 5 because of Rush. Few of these songs I’m not familiar with at all

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 03:01:57 AM »
I went with group 4.
Born to Run is among the best songs in American classic rock and easily the best song in the entire poll.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 07:46:22 AM »
I'm going with group #4 because there's at least one song in each group I'm not familiar with. I don't know the first song in that group but Flirtin' With Disaster is a good song and Born to Run is imo the best song of the bunch here.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 07:48:06 AM »
This might be the best batch yet, though.

The Head East song is annoying (TAC:  the Springfield station used to play that a lot; it was one of those songs they'd slip into a "rock block"; it's the same thing as some stations do with songs like "Lunatic Fringe" or "Fantasy" by Aldo Nova.  One song they play over and over so they can claim to "dig in" to the deeper album tracks).  I refuse on principle to vote for any group that has Jackson Browne in it.   It could be "Deuce, Pull Me Under and Tom Sawyer", but if you put Jackson Browne in there, no vote.  So that's out.

I prefer "Reminiscing" over "Cool Change", but LRB is aces (and CC has special meaning; we used to get drunk on a beach near my house and sing it). 

Having said that, going with number two.  Okay, that didn't sound right.  But that group, especially with Solsbury Hill  (for my money, the best song in the group, though I agree, Born To Run is a classic) takes the prize at the last second.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 07:50:47 AM »
I know this will come to a complete surprise to Kev but I saw The Little river Band open for Chicago.  They sounded great live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »
One really good song in all categories except 3, and a lot of stuff I don't know.  Categories 2 and 4 are the only ones without a total stinker or song(s) I don't know, and 2 gets the vote (although the best songs in the poll are Radar Love and Crystal Ball, with Solsbury Hill close behind).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:31:11 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
I know this will come to a complete surprise to Kev but I saw The Little river Band open for Chicago.  They sounded great live.

Did you lose a bet, old man?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »

LOL.  No, I love Chicago.  Seen some cool bands back them up.  Doobie Brothers, Hall & Oats. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »

LOL.  No, I love Chicago.  Seen some cool bands back them up.  Doobie Brothers, Hall & Oats.

Cool bands? I’m waiting...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 10:37:17 AM »
Little River Band is good stuff.  Such great vocal harmonies!

I will feature a Chicago song in next round or two of these classic rock polls. They can be hit or miss for me, but they have some great stuff.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 10:42:47 AM »

Cool bands? I’m waiting...

Do you even start telling me you never sang Maneater or Listen to The Music?  Stop it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 01:52:42 PM »
He was probably too busy listening to Thin Lizzy. :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 07:06:49 PM »
Radar Love 3
For What It's Worth 3
Never Been Any Reason 2
Total 8

Magic Man 2
Walk Away 3
Solsbury Hill 4
Total 9

Fat Bottomed Girls 4
I'd Love to Change the World 4
Cool Change 1
Total 9

Crystal Ball 4
Born to Run 4
Flirtin' With Disaster 3
Total 11

Closer to the Heart* 3
Running on Empty 2
Black Magic Woman 2
Total: 7

* On a high school retreat (Jesuit school) are theme was "Closer to the Heart" so to open any group activity or gathering they played this song. It was cool for the few of us who were in to Rush - in the PNW in the early 90s when everyone else was in to grunge - but by the end of the weekend even we were over it. Still reminds me of that retreat 20+ years later. Not a good or bad thing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'