Author Topic: Joker Movie  (Read 12958 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Joker Movie
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 09:28:04 PM »
It's not that confusing, but I'll break it down.

Starting with Man of Steel, DC has created an in-continuity universe. Similar to the MCU. It's not great, but it's meant to largely be mostly cohesive.

So any DC live action movie after Man of Steel takes place within that universe. Inside that universe, Jared Leto is the Joker. A terrible one, but whatever.

This movie is just...outside of that. So it is totally unconnected. They are not rebooting the Joker (in universe, since they are not creating a new universe of films), they are simply doing a stand-alone movie with a different vision.

Make sense?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 09:40:48 PM »
Yes that actually does make sense, thank you! (now please explain the current issue revolving around the Golan Heights just as succinctly... :))

I had to look up MCU, that is how out of touch I am.

I appreciate that someone is trying to create a universe with continuity, but I also am sympathetic to the point Bosk brought up. But like him, I will also accept that as my issue.

But here is a question... does DC own the rights to the Joker? If so, why are they creating multiple movies with multiple visions for a character? (revenue, I know...)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »
Here's a ripple though.....

Don't think for ONE SECOND that if Joker is a major hit, that they won't start thinking about retconning Joaquin's version into the DECU and pretending like Leto's version never existed.

Money talks.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 10:49:52 PM »

Don't think for ONE SECOND that if Joker is a major hit, that they won't start thinking about retconning Joaquin's version into the DECU and pretending like Leto's version never existed.

Money talks.

Nah.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 10:53:03 PM »

Money talks.

Nah.

You watch.   *IF* Joker makes more money than Venom, I'll bet money that they will at least start talking about it.   Whether Joaquin will agree to it or not is another story.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2019, 10:55:12 PM »
Well none of us will have any idea what they talk about. But nah.

Joker is set in the 80s. So unless they’re going for a 70 something year old Joker.

One idea I had years ago was to make Leto a joker wannabe, imitating the real joker.. I guess if they got super lame, they could do that with Joaquin’s Joker, but at no point will they just switch them out. Sorry. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:03:47 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 06:54:21 AM »
Right now continuity is out the door as they reboot the whole series kicking out Snyder.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 08:33:13 AM »
They're not rebooting anything. They're just doing something new. They're breaking continuity and allowing a personal a film maker to make his own interpretation of the character. . . .

They do this stuff in comics all the time. You'll get a random story about someone that is totally out of continuity and is just a writer/artist exploring a neat story that couldn't be told in the main universe.

I was going to mention this point in my earlier post, but by the time I had it written, I just didn't think this needed to be said. 

Acknowledged that, yes, they DO do this kind of thing all the time in the comics.  And it annoyed me in that format as well.  To me, it takes away from the realism and takes away from the stakes when there really is NOT any set "canon" for any given character, and he/she can just be reinterpreted and reimagined endlessly whenever a new author comes onboard with a different vision for who and what the character should be.  I liked way back when Magneto evolved over a long period of time from being just an evil supervillain, to being sympathetic, to coming over to the "good" side and running Xavier's school, to back to the dark side again, and on and on.  It was one character that changed, grew, and evolved, and you could follow that.  It wasn't simply different version of the character where, for that story arc, previous versions of the character didn't exist.  And because of that, his story arc had stakes and gravitas.  When a character is rewritten and rewritten and the audience is left guessing which parts of past story arcs "exist" in any given timeline, the stakes don't matter nearly as much, and the confusion is real, even if the intent is clearly supposed to be "don't be confused--just treat this as a brand new story about a brand new character where nothing you have read or seen before exists."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 09:34:51 AM »
The Joker is a standalone film. However, as I mentioned earlier, they ARE rebooting Batman next year. 2020 release, written and directed by Matt Reeves. IF the Joker film is successful, and IF the new Batman film is successful, I think the two will combine after that.

As jammindude said, money talks, and at that point, if they have a legit success on their hands, they'll scramble to maximize the profitability. The DCU is in shambles, and everyone can see it. Fanboys can say all they want, but Justice League, and the whole convoluted stuff they did was in response to the MCU having so much success. DC got on board late, and then tried playing catch up.

This Joker movie, and the new Batman movie, are their attempt to reboot and do something different. Sorta how Deadpool is set apart to a degree, although they mixed in some X-men stuff.

The Dark Knight Trilogy was a standalone because Nolan refused to taint it. My thought is, DC finally realized they blew something great with the Nolan trilogy, and are now trying to do something different so they can be a bit more original. But time will tell.

Again, its ALWAYS about money for these studios. If The Joker and The Batman are successful, the studios will do whatever they can to maximize profit. It'll be interesting to see if The Joker gets an "R" rating. I hope it does.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 09:42:14 AM »
As jammindude said, money talks, and at that point, if they have a legit success on their hands, they'll scramble to maximize the profitability. The DCU is in shambles, and everyone can see it. Fanboys can say all they want, but Justice League, and the whole convoluted stuff they did was in response to the MCU having so much success. DC got on board late, and then tried playing catch up.

And even coming into it late, they STILL could have had something successful if they had put out quality films.  Yeah, it would still have been endlessly compared to the MCU and would still likely be largely seen as being of inferior quality in comparison.  But "less quality by comparison" and "poor quality" are two different things.  Unfortunately, the DCU fell into the latter category.  THAT was their biggest problem.  Or, at least, it is the biggest problem that was within their control.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2019, 09:45:49 AM »
Well Wonder Woman did great and WW 1984 hopefully with continue this trend.  Shazam is getting very good reviews so hopefully this trend continues.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »
I'm really curious to see if The Joker movie will introduce re-boots of characters such as Gordon. If it does, I think that signals that it and The Batman will be connected.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »
Well Wonder Woman did great and WW 1984 hopefully with continue this trend.  Shazam is getting very good reviews so hopefully this trend continues.

Oh, sure.  No argument about WW.  I think that, in terms of being a "quality movie," I think many would say it is comparable to the middle-of-the-road MCU films and doesn't touch their best.  But whatever our particular rankings might be, you will get no disagreement from me that it was a good film.  But it is one out of how many in the DCU, the rest of which were NOT good?  The fact that WW stands as such a stark contrast with the rest of the DCU is basically a testament to how bad the DCU in general is, which is what I'm saying. 

As far as Shazam, I can't speak to how good it is, since I haven't seen it.  But assuming for argument's sake that it is VERY good, in terms of boosting the OVERALL quality of the DCU as a whole, I don't think it helps because (1) correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it is part of the connected DCU, is it?  Isn't it just a "standalone" film?  (2) most importantly, even if it is part of the connected DCU, it's kind of "too little too late" in terms of the overall universe's reputation. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2019, 10:36:31 AM »
No it's part DCU.  I don't want to spoil anything for you in the credit scenes but there is a connection.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2019, 10:40:18 AM »
I'm not worried about spoilers because (1) I'm not sure if or when I'm going to see it, and (2) I'm not emotionally invested in the DCU nearly enough to care about spoilers.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2019, 10:42:09 AM »
I'm not worried about spoilers because (1) I'm not sure if or when I'm going to see it, and (2) I'm not emotionally invested in the DCU nearly enough to care about spoilers.

Pulled from the Wiki page. SPOILERS obviously. Put in tiny font:

Shazam and his family are hailed as heroes, and Billy embraces his foster family as his true family. The family return the Eye of Sin to the Rock of Eternity, and realize they can use the Rock as their secret lair. Billy also shows up at school as Shazam to endorse Freddy before revealing he also brought a friend: Superman.

In a mid-credits scene, an imprisoned Sivana is recruited into a partnership with the caterpillar-like creature Mister Mind. In a post-credits scene, Freddy tests whether Shazam can talk to fish, citing Aquaman, only for Shazam to dismiss the power as stupid.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2019, 12:21:48 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2019, 12:37:42 PM »
This is going to be a great movie. I can't wait.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2019, 02:17:50 PM »
I think I can wait.

I have no doubt this will be a well-made and interesting film.  But I have serious reservations that it will be a great JOKER film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »
I not really sure what this will ultimately end up being, but I'll definitely go see it in the theater.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:39:50 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »
Trailer is interesting for sure.

It seems a random psychological thriller, where the protagonist happens to be one of the most famous fictional villains ever created.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2019, 12:23:54 PM »
I think it looks great. Joker movie or not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2019, 01:16:19 PM »
This will either fall flat and be a total bore or will be extremely captivating. Either way, the trailers have piqued my interest for sure, they look good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2019, 08:31:54 AM »
So I just watched the trailer for this movie. I love Joaquin Phoenix and he looks awesome in this.

BUT...I feel like we just got the Cliffs Notes version of the movie in the trailer, no?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:54:40 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2019, 08:56:14 AM »
So I just watched the trailer for this movie. I love Joaquin Phoenix and he looks awesome in this.

BUT...I feel like we just got the Cliffs Notes version of the movie in the trailer, no?

I dunno. We got a general feel for the movie. But most trailers these days are the movie condensed to 2-3 minutes. Not a fan of it in general.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2019, 09:07:20 AM »

I dunno. We got a general feel for the movie. But most trailers these days are the movie condensed to 2-3 minutes. Not a fan of it in general.

I think it's one of the reasons why I have lost interest in watching movies as I get older. Nothing seems original, or believable. Not that a superhero movie is either, but I'm talking movies in general.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »
Early reviews seem pretty positive in declaring this a game-changer.

Just curious how many of those reviewers don't like superhero movies.

Because I kind of get the impression that this is a film based on a comic character but aimed at non-comic fans.

I could be wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2019, 12:42:21 PM »
Hef, I remember thinking "The Dark Knight" was steeped in realism.  You could see as the movie went on, the Joker's makeup was running, the green was lessening in his hair and becoming greasier.  I just pictured a madman engulfed with Batman to the point of not showering, barely sleeping.  I mad genius who couldn't turn his evil brain off.  The psychology of why he needed Batman and why Batman wouldn't kill.

I love the realism in the movie which makes me want to see the new Joker movie in a bad way. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »
Hef, I remember thinking "The Dark Knight" was steeped in realism.  You could see as the movie went on, the Joker's makeup was running, the green was lessening in his hair and becoming greasier.  I just pictured a madman engulfed with Batman to the point of not showering, barely sleeping.  I mad genius who couldn't turn his evil brain off.  The psychology of why he needed Batman and why Batman wouldn't kill.

I love the realism in the movie which makes me want to see the new Joker movie in a bad way.
I get "realistic", but you kind of alluded to it there - "why he needed Batman".  That's a key element of the Joker as a character, and always has been.

A Joker movie without Batman may be a good movie, but I remain unconvinced it will be an actual Joker movie, or indeed a comic book movie at all.

We'll see.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »
but I remain unconvinced it will be an actual Joker movie,

So it's a coincidence that he resembles the guy in Batman?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2019, 02:58:25 PM »
Oh I get that but maybe him wanting to be needed, (his mom in the new film) may allude to why this is embedded in him.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2019, 03:37:04 PM »
but I remain unconvinced it will be an actual Joker movie,

So it's a coincidence that he resembles the guy in Batman?
At this point, I think it is.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2019, 02:52:06 AM »
Just watched the trailer for the first time and was wondering the same.  This Joker didn't seem connected to the "Batman's" Joker.  Then again, it's a limited trailer and I know nothing of the movie really.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2019, 06:18:04 AM »
I pop in from my side of the fence as someone who doesn't understand the fascination with super hero movies. I've seen a handful that I thought were okay (Iron Man, the first to Spiderman movies, The Hulk movie with the orange monster, and yes, Affleck's Dare Devil). I have seen The Dark Night at least a half dozen times and I'd give it a 6.5/10.   

I'm actually really intrigued by this trailer and kind of want to see it, which is something I've never said about anything in this genre.