Author Topic: Joker Movie  (Read 13083 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Joker Movie
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:00 AM »
Its like they mixed the Scorsese movies Taxi Driver and The king of comedy together and peppered in the batman background.

What they've shown so far has me sold.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2019, 09:07:19 AM »
but I remain unconvinced it will be an actual Joker movie,

So it's a coincidence that he resembles the guy in Batman?
At this point, I think it is.

Thomas Wayne, Alfred and even Bruce (i believe) are cast in the movie though and it takes place in Gotham. I think the only thing that gives it a "stand alone" feel is the fact that Joaquin Phoenix most likely won't reprise the role (that was a big reason why he didn't take the Dr Strange role, he likes the one time roles) so it kinda will be a unique thing on its own since we most likely won't get to see this Joker face off against Batman.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2019, 06:46:31 PM »
Big DC guy, but the previews I've seen... I wouldn't be surprised if I never see this.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2019, 07:31:49 AM »
but I remain unconvinced it will be an actual Joker movie,

So it's a coincidence that he resembles the guy in Batman?
At this point, I think it is.

Thomas Wayne, Alfred and even Bruce (i believe) are cast in the movie though and it takes place in Gotham. I think the only thing that gives it a "stand alone" feel is the fact that Joaquin Phoenix most likely won't reprise the role (that was a big reason why he didn't take the Dr Strange role, he likes the one time roles) so it kinda will be a unique thing on its own since we most likely won't get to see this Joker face off against Batman.

I am okay with standalone films to be honest. More often than not trying to force large overlapping series goes horribly wrong and most sequels aren't good. The MCU is a huge anomally in that regard, with most sequels being better and somehow using the different films to tell a coherent plot.

The DCEU has been mostly trash and I don't want any film to be connected to it, because for me it actively detracts from a film. DC finally seems to be on the right track and if that means a collection of interesting standalone films, I am all for it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2019, 08:53:58 AM »
A comic book movie beat out a Polanski movie for an award. That brings a smile to my face.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2019, 11:46:41 AM »
Almost time to send in the Clown. Got my ticket for Thursday. Can't wait!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2019, 12:27:23 PM »
Gonna try and see it this weekend

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2019, 12:39:13 PM »
Got my ticket for Friday. From what I’ve read, it’s VERY bleak and dark. Comic book in name only. So I’m excited as hell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2019, 06:41:03 PM »
Just got back. Adami summed it up. Dark, bleak and immersive. Fantastic storytelling and an incredible performance by Joaquin Phoenix.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2019, 12:41:19 AM »
Seen some very high praise from trusted nerd friends, I'm definitely gonna get this one in this weekend.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2019, 05:36:49 AM »
Saw it as well. It was really good.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2019, 07:17:59 AM »
So you guys saw it and haven't murdered anyone yet?  :P

Online Adami

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2019, 07:57:47 AM »

Well I’m seeing it later today, so you never know!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »

Well I’m seeing it later today, so you never know!

With your mind I predict.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
I really don't get the deal with all that. It was less violent than a lot of movies out there.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2019, 01:54:07 AM »
It's really great. Phoenix should hopefully be in the running for an academy award for this.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2019, 01:58:14 AM »
Can anyone tell me how big of a role does Marc Maron have in this? I've seen him in the credits and would like to see him, being a huge fan of his podcast and comedy. I know it's a bit odd question to ask about a movie that features Robert De Niro and Joaquin Phoenix, though.  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2019, 05:56:42 AM »
Can anyone tell me how big of a role does Marc Maron have in this? I've seen him in the credits and would like to see him, being a huge fan of his podcast and comedy. I know it's a bit odd question to ask about a movie that features Robert De Niro and Joaquin Phoenix, though.  :lol

Very, very small role.

Online Adami

« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
Saw it last night, really loved it. Joaquin is just insanely good. Like...REALLY good.

Honestly, it would take me too long to type out all of the things I loved about this movie, so I'll probably touch on them as responses to others.

That said, literally two scenes I didn't want, or one if it went differently.

Spoiler's in small font...

The very quick flash back scene to show he was never really in a relationship with Domino. Her line to him right before was the perfect reveal. Flashbacks' were totally unnecessary and felt like they didn't trust the audience to figure it out. Luckily it's VERY short.

The Waynes murder scene. Didn't like it. I would have preferred one of two other options for that.
1) Don't show it at all
2) Kill Bruce too. That would have gotten a HUGE reaction.

Beyond that, movie is amazing. There was extra security there and after the movie, in the bathroom, I heard someone whistling the "send in the clowns" thing and I was like "Oh god...this is how it's going to happen, in a god damn bathroom"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2019, 03:15:39 PM »
Lots of media reports that viewers are walking out of the film, saying it is "too violent" and "promotes gun culture." More interestingly to me, and casually directed at Adami, is that it "...deals with mental health issues in a 'triggering' way..." Thoughts?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2019, 03:21:33 PM »
Lots of media reports that viewers are walking out of the film, saying it is "too violent" and "promotes gun culture." More interestingly to me, and casually directed at Adami, is that it "...deals with mental health issues in a 'triggering' way..." Thoughts?

Eh, no.

The violence isn't excessive, it's just very very impactful. Like, when Deadpool kills 20 people, it's like a cartoon. There's no emotional impact, nor are they trying to make one. When Joker kills someone, it's brutal, it's raw, and it hits you on a level that most other movie deaths don't. So it's not too violent, it's just violent in an impactful and disturbing way, because of how casual it all is, not how gory or whatever it is. A guy's head exploding is gory but we can brush it off. Some of the stuff in this movie isn't easy to just brush off. Trying not to go into spoilers here.

And gun culture, ummmmm I dunno. Not even sure what gun culture is. Are there guns? Sure. But again, do I see anything that relates to what I normally see as gun culture? No.

And it does deal with mental illness. It deals with it in a pretty cool way actually. Joker has some mental illness stuff that makes him very sympathetic, but he's also got some real mental illness stuff that rarely gets shown in movies and makes him not at all sympathetic. It shows how mental illness is treated, which is also pretty accurate if not a bit grim. It should be starting some really good conversations. Instead it's just about the typical gun control liberals/conservatives nonsense.

There's some great things in this movie that can be discussed regarding our culture, but they won't be. We'll just discuss if this movie promotes violence and how people who think it does are idiots. Pretty sad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »
Adami, thank you for the spoiler-free analysis. I should have said these articles are just quoting tweets from random people whose thoughts aren't worth a hill of beans, or at least not worth more than anyone else, despite what they might think.

Also, I have read others write about the non-cartoony way the violence is portrayed, and how this could (but won't) lead to productive conversations, as you mentioned.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2019, 01:36:53 AM »
I didn't think it was too violent. I mean it's a movie about how the Joker becomes who he is and I think the violent is appropriate and what you would expect from that story. Then again, almost all complains about the movie being too violent that I have heard is from America which (not to get political) strikes me as a bit funny seeing as anyone can get a weapon at the gas station. But the movies are the problem. :p

Online faizoff

« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2019, 09:44:40 PM »
Saw the movie last night and it was truly amazing, not seeing any trailers and avoiding all the talk around it, I wasn't aware of anything about the movie other than it was a stand-alone movie and that Joaquin Phoenix was in it. I didn't even know DeNiro was in the movie.

Phoenix was phenomenal and the script and story were super tight, I loved almost everything about the movie. I agree with Adami's quips he wrote in small font. Those two things didn't need to be in there but I sorta get why they put it in the movie. It didn't detract from the movie in any way but if you had to pick an issue with it that probably would be it.

With all the outcry regarding the violence in the movie, I was expecting a bloodbath, have people not seen the John Wick movies? The violence in Joker was completely in line with the context of the character and heck you knew it was coming anytime it did happen. I guess it was still jarring when the violence does occur.

There was extra security in our theater and every other theater I hear, that didn't stop all the jackasses in my theater from cackling at random times.

I really like this ultra realistic take of these comic book characters with mental health and societal issues. I'm sure not everyone is going to be pleased by it but after countless takes of action packed big budget movies and grandiose VFX shots, this claustrophobic intimate and personal take was truly refreshing. I am really hoping the new Batman movie is along the same lines.

Logan started down this path and Joker gave it a solid push and hopefully more follow.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2019, 01:21:51 AM »
Just got back, absolutely fantastic flick. Pheonix in unbelievable in the role, and it had me thinking that all the good performances of that character, seems that the character itself is such an inspiration to actors. (Hammill, Ledger, Nicholson, Pheonix)

I would say the biggest effect it had on me was not just how dark it was, but how uncomfortable I felt through most of the movie. How the self conciousness of the character brought out my own insecurities. I think that's about as high of praise an actor can get tbh.

Spoilerish stuff....

Powerfully impactful on the mental health front, especially with the shutdown of the clinic and how losing his access to the meds played into his downward spiral, and how said mental health is viewed in all the wrong lights. They did a fantastic job of handling it. I didn't have an issue with them knocking off the Wayne's, and agree that the flashback with Domino was unnecessary.  It's unfortunate that it will be a one off, cause they really handled it so, so well, but with how old Bruce is, Joker would be 60 by the time he was old enough to be Batman.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2019, 06:23:18 AM »
It's 2019 and everything now has to be viewed though a prism of left vs right politics, which personally I find rather tedious.   I really liked this film a lot, I also really enjoyed Captain Marvel earlier in the year - so yeah basically view/judge a film as a piece of entertainment or art that it is.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2019, 06:05:02 PM »
Just saw it. Hot damn, what movie. Definitely my favorite movie of the year and one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2019, 08:00:28 AM »
Saw this last  night. Pretty riveting performance by Phoenix. The angle they took with detailing and telling the mental illness side of that character was really well done. I don't see how Phoenix isn't the front runner for the Oscar with that performance. It was something to see.

I've seen the comparisons to Ledger's Joker and some saying this was 'better'. And while I suppose they did play the 'same' character......I don't think it'd be fair to say the two movies or actors are really 'comparable'. Ledger's joker performance was in this blockbuster atmosphere of the 'Batman' world whereas this movie with Phoenix was stripped down to just really him and the slow deterioration of reality in his mind. I can't say which 'version' was better because unlike comparing Ledger to Nicolas.....which is in the same vein.....what this film did was just not in that realm IMO. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2019, 08:08:41 AM »
I can't say which 'version' was better

Leto.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2019, 08:20:39 AM »

Leto.

You're trying to start a war  :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2019, 08:25:24 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2019, 11:26:47 AM »
MP posted a glowing review on this movie too. This movie would definitely be up his alley. 
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2019, 11:45:39 AM »

Leto.
I actually liked his performance. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2019, 01:08:40 PM »
MP posted a glowing review on this movie too. This movie would definitely be up his alley.

His review is what prompted me to try and communicate that you really can’t compare Ledgers joker to Phoenix’s joker. Unlike Nicholson/Ledger.....the Phoenix Joker really isn’t in that type of genre, it wasn’t the same ‘ask’