Author Topic: Joker Movie  (Read 13123 times)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Joker Movie
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2019, 11:30:45 PM »
Just got back from watching. What a great film. Phoenix delivered a unique and memorable performance as the character, and personally, I think the most successful and interesting of the live action adaptions. This whole movie had me gripping with dread and anticipation. Definitely one of my favorites of the year.

My one complaint of the movie:

The Wayne family tie-ins felt a bit forced and unneeded. I thought the story worked just fine without having to tether it further to the extended DC universe. I get why it's there and it makes sense, but for a Joker origin film, I think I would have preferred to just keep it more insular.

Whether or not you like comic book movies, you owe it to yourself to watch it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2019, 08:48:52 AM »
I saw this movie last night. First movie I've seen in theaters since Ready Player One.

I thought it was okay. I'm not superhero/comic book person at all, but I thought it was alright. I don't understand why the media was so hysterical about it. That movie was nowhere near as dark or twisted as I thought it was going to be. I thought the ending was a little too over the top. I think it would have been better if the movie ended with Joker getting dragged out of the cop car (still unconscious) by the masked men that saved him. Him standing on the car, surrounded by a cheering crowd just seemed kind of, I don't know, dumb I guess. But that's just me.   

This movie really made we want a cigarette.

I was arguing with myself throughout the entire film whether the lead character was Elias from Clerks II or Commodus from Gladiator. It became clear to me when he was smothering his mother to death, as we saw him do the same thing to his father in Gladiator. Anyway, speaking of that guy, I thought he did the role really well. I'd actually really like to see him play a mentally handicapped character that wasn't hell bent on creating chaos. I thought he nailed it. 

I also remembered why I hate going to theaters. The last 20-25 minutes had me sitting in agony because I had to piss so bad my back teeth were floating, and of course there was a group of frat boys in back of the theater that thought it was appropriate to talk at a normal volume throughout the movie and laugh uncontrollably at scenes that were not intended to be funny.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
You're gettin old Bri.  For a few years now, I've had to plan my liquid intake leading up to a movie's start time - especially for the ones that are 2.5hrs or longer.  I typically head to the head during opening commercials - whether I feel the need or not.  Gotta make sure I start a flick with an empty tank.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2019, 05:34:39 AM »
I saw it friday and loved it. Not sure how a potential Bat flick would work in this style, but as a one off this was amazing. The slow escalation throughout the film to him become the joker in the end is masterfully done. And Phoenix really is an amazing actor, I am not really familiar with his work to be honest.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2019, 07:31:18 AM »
I just wanted to give a shout out to their set design and how good a job they did recreating that late 70's, early 80's period feel to the setting.

Think I might have to go give Taxi Driver a rewatch. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:45:02 AM by Phoenix87x »

Online T-ski

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2019, 08:31:24 AM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »
 :rollin  :rollin  :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mladen

« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
Can anyone tell me how big of a role does Marc Maron have in this? I've seen him in the credits and would like to see him, being a huge fan of his podcast and comedy. I know it's a bit odd question to ask about a movie that features Robert De Niro and Joaquin Phoenix, though.  :lol

Very, very small role.
You're right, that was a very, VERY small role.  :lol

Still, I dug the movie because of it's psychological aspects, darkness and ties to the world of comedy. It was very moving.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »
I just wanted to give a shout out to their set design and how good a job they did recreating that late 70's, early 80's period feel to the setting.

Never saw Taxi Driver, is the Joker similar to that film?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2019, 03:23:55 PM »

I would say so. I kept thinking about Taxi driver as I watched joker. And I think its worth a watch if you liked Joker.

Here's a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujiHDeqnHY

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2019, 01:23:58 AM »

I would say so. I kept thinking about Taxi driver as I watched joker. And I think its worth a watch if you liked Joker.

Here's a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujiHDeqnHY

All the comments on that trailer are about the Joker  :lol

Okay, I will check it out one of these days, it is a classic I have heard being mentioned for many years now, but it is one of those films that never appealed to me to go and watch it. But Sorcese and De Niro are always a good sign.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2019, 07:04:18 AM »
I watched Tax Driver and a bunch of other Scorsese films for the first time this year. Taxi Driver holds up. It is awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2020, 03:58:46 PM »
Bump from Gotham City, since I've seen the movie.

I thought it was fantastic. Quite heavy on the subject matter, and slow at times, not sure it's gonna be one of those movies one's gonna watch multiple times, but it was great and heavy hitting.

Very stilish, obviousl saturated and color corrected to death, but it was a gripping and dramatic journey into the descent into total and violent insanity of an already troubled man. I thinkl the mashup of genres was done quite nicely - heck, you could re-do it as a stand alone movie about a random mentally ill person, removing all the Joker / DC references, and you would need to change only 10% of the film.

It had a gripping atmosphere, the cinematography was stellar with many nice shots (the stairs, the subway shots also...), and I don't think the Wayne mentions were overdone. I didn't even realize the butler was Alfred himself at the gate scene where Arthur talks with little Bruce, I thought he was a random servant. The ending was fantastic, that's basically when the movie became essentially "Joker begins".

I personally would have ended it there - the Joker rises on the same night Bruce gets his parent killed and starts his path to be Batman. I didn't care for the little coda in the asylum, it would have been perfect to end it in the streets.

By the time Bruce becomes a grown man (and Batman along the way), this Joker would be old... but for all we know someone else could take inspiration from Arthur and become the "next" Joker. And it's not like this movie has to have a sequel anyway.... it works damn fine on his own.

I'm a bit puzzled at all the strong reactions and fears it would inspire violence.... I thought the movie struck a nice balance between letting you symphatize with Arthur (it was brutal to see him being told "society doesn't give a shit about people like you" from her psychiatrist) and showing that yes, he's a crazy and deranged violent guy, who totally deserves to be locked up in Arkham. If people see this movie and feel the need to down clown mask and start riots the problem is with them, not with the movie.

Oh, and Joaquin Phoenix totally deserves any award there can be for his performance!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2020, 07:29:41 AM »
Watched this over the weekend and it was a really good film. I like the fact that the viewer really has no clue what happened really happened or if was just his imagination.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2020, 08:28:41 AM »
Watched this over the weekend and it was a really good film. I like the fact that the viewer really has no clue what happened really happened or if was just his imagination.

That's the beauty of the Joker character. The film was expertly written, acted, and directed. And it balances that line where it could be just a one-off (as has been the prevailing message from those involved with the film), or (as has been hinted) it could be a pathway to the Batman universe we all know.

Honestly, I think Robert Pattison's portrayal of the Caped Crusader, and the tone of that film will determine if Joker ends up crossing with Batman. If the new Batman film is done in a similar manner, I can see it. If it's so stylistically its own thing, then I doubt it would work.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2020, 08:59:11 AM »
HUGE Batman fan (there's a running joke in my family that I'm Batman; as such, I have more Batman ephemera than all else combined, even Kiss and Star Wars), and I can't imagine looking forward to Robert Pattinson as Batman any LESS than I am now.   

I loved Ben Affleck as Batman, I really liked Christian Bale...  I'm just not looking forward to this.  I feel like it's going to over-emphasize the brooding and miss some of the more interesting parts of the character that Ben, in particular, really got.  It might have something to do with the apprehension of where the entire DCCU is heading; I thought Henry Cavill was perfect in every way as Superman, and they apparently didn't, so there's that. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
I remember saying the same thing about Heath Ledger on playing the Joker.  Boy was I wrong.  I hope Pattinson surprises me as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2020, 12:29:01 PM »

Well, the only certain answer is that he completely imagined his relationship with the neighbour. Other things.... well, if you analyze the movie under the "he's an unreliable narrator" thing you can potentially have doubts for everything. The gun, for example - did he really got it from the coworker that denied having done so, or the facts presented in the phone call where he got fired were the real ones? did he imagine his liberation at the end, since in the next scene he's commited in an asylum anyway? heck, did he imagine the WHOLE movie while being committed, hence the "you wouldn't get it" comment?

Anyway, I like as I said how it can work both as a Joker movie and a standalone movie. Really, don't call it Gotham but call it New York (which is what it is anyway, and they don't even try to hide it), replace Thomas Wayne with Random Rich Tycoon, and change a bit the clown makeup and clothes, and you have basically a movie that has nothing to do with DC. Everything else works the same even if you don't think of him as the Joker (and if this would have been the case, you can be sure someone on the internet would have said "This movie works even better if you pretend the protagonist ends up being the Joker").
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2020, 06:18:44 PM »
That's awesome. It definitely deserves it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2020, 01:46:09 AM »
Joaquin Phoenix: "When you give me the Oscar for Best Actor, can you introduce me as Joker?"

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2020, 02:24:52 AM »
While Joker wasn't quite my absolute favorite film of 2019 (that title goes to Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse for me), I loved seeing it in theaters twice and it absolutely deserves all of those nominations. One of the best comic films ever IMO.

It's going to be interesting to see how Matt Reeves' take on Batman and the rest of the inhabitants of Gotham City differs from Todd Phillips' here in Joker, because from what I gather, Reeves' film is going to be set in an entirely different world from all the other DC films that have come out so far. Really looking forward to that film, as Reeves crushed it with his Planet of the Apes films a few years back and Robert Pattinson's grown up to be one of the finest actors working today. And while I doubt we'll ever see it actually happen, I have to think that Warner Bros are going to try their damnedest to see if Reeves can convince Joaquin Phoenix to play Joker again in his new world in a future film.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2020, 07:40:39 AM »
Joaquin Phoenix: "When you give me the Oscar for Best Actor, can you introduce me as Joker?"

:tup

We watched it last night.  Not our type of movie from what we were led to believe, so we stayed away from it.

All we can say is 'Wow!'.......from the absolutely perfect soundtrack, acting, script........ and that stairway dance! 

Two snaps and a clap.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
While Joker wasn't quite my absolute favorite film of 2019 (that title goes to Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse for me)

:tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2022, 03:29:17 PM »
'Joker 2' releases October 4, 2024 🃏