Author Topic: Most Famous TV Shows Set in Each State  (Read 2543 times)

Online pg1067

Most Famous TV Shows Set in Each State
« on: May 02, 2022, 02:45:38 PM »
This article is a year old, but I'd never seen it before today:  https://www.insider.com/tv-show-set-every-us-state-2018-4

I have a few fairly strong opinions about this, but I'm interested what everyone else thinks.  The obvious issue is that, while Ally McBeal was extremely popular in the late '90s, there's no way it should be ahead of Cheers.  For those who don't want to scroll, here's a map that someone put together (but note that the northeast isn't well labeled).

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

Re: Most Famous TV Shows Set in Each State
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 02:57:20 PM »
Agree on Cheers.

I’d have to go with Happy Days over That 70’s Show for Wisconsin.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 03:46:56 PM »
I used to live in the town that had the inn used for the Newhart exterior shots. Less than a mile up the road.

Online pg1067

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 04:28:39 PM »
I used to live in the town that had the inn used for the Newhart exterior shots. Less than a mile up the road.

Was it filmed in Vermont also?

Possibly the best series finale of any sitcom (and there was a Christmas episode that was also really good).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 07:38:36 PM »

Possibly the best series finale of any sitcom (and there was a Christmas episode that was also really good).

I don’t believe so. We’ve had the occasional movie though, What Lies Beneath and Me Myself and Irene.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 08:19:57 PM »
In what world is Friends more "famous" than Seinfeld? And Gray's Anatomy may be more famous for WA, but Twin Peaks was a cultural phenomenon.

Would be more interesting (to me...) to discuss which show was most/best associated with the state in which it was set.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 08:42:41 PM »
Stan Against Evil in NH?  I've never heard one person promote this show or talk about it, ever!  I mean, EVER!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 09:16:01 PM »
Showing my age a bit, but for Illinois I'd go with 'The Bob Newhart Show' over 'Roseanne'.

Overlook 'Cheers'?  :tdwn  Now, as for New York, of course 'Seinfeld' would rule over 'Friends'.  You also have 'NYPD Blue', 'All In The Family', and then I think I'd tip my hat to 'Law & Order' (and SVU and Criminal Intent for good measure).

Can't argue with the likes of 'Dallas', 'Home Improvement' and 'Northern Exposure'.  Most others, I have no clue about.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 07:35:43 AM »
Showing my age a bit, but for Illinois I'd go with 'The Bob Newhart Show' over 'Roseanne'.

Overlook 'Cheers'?  :tdwn  Now, as for New York, of course 'Seinfeld' would rule over 'Friends'.  You also have 'NYPD Blue', 'All In The Family', and then I think I'd tip my hat to 'Law & Order' (and SVU and Criminal Intent for good measure).

Can't argue with the likes of 'Dallas', 'Home Improvement' and 'Northern Exposure'.  Most others, I have no clue about.

This.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 07:38:52 AM »
In what world is Friends more "famous" than Seinfeld? And Gray's Anatomy may be more famous for WA, but Twin Peaks was a cultural phenomenon.

Would be more interesting (to me...) to discuss which show was most/best associated with the state in which it was set.

I’m from here I’m only vaguely aware of Grey’s Anatomy.  And I agree that Twin Peaks is a cult classic. But how is the real answer not Frasier?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 09:20:09 AM »
In what world is Friends more "famous" than Seinfeld?

The one you live in.  Seinfeld had more viewers when it initially ran, but Friends has had more enduring popularity.  It's more popular among young people and outside the US. 

And Gray's Anatomy may be more famous for WA, but Twin Peaks was a cultural phenomenon.

Twin Peaks was a big thing for a hot minute, until the ratings plummeted in Season 2.  Grey's Anatomy has been a juggernaut for 18 Seasons.  The latter is definitely more famous.

Online pg1067

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 09:22:46 AM »

I don’t believe so. We’ve had the occasional movie though, What Lies Beneath and Me Myself and Irene.

So the town in which you lived where the inn was located is not in Vermont?

Famous is a hard thing to define or measure, but interest in Seinfeld seemed to diminish significantly when the show went off the air.  Friends, however, remains hugely popular with massive followings in the U.S., England, Australia and many other countries.  However, as DA noted, there are NUMEROUS shows set in NY that have been massively popular.

Stan Against Evil in NH?  I've never heard one person promote this show or talk about it, ever!  I mean, EVER!

I've never heard of it, but it's not like there's any competition:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Television_shows_set_in_New_Hampshire.  Which of this group of shows that no one has ever heard of is most famous (not sure why Breaking Bad is listed)?

The most egregious one that I can see is North Carolina.  I don't know what One Tree Hill is, but is it really more "famous" than The Andy Griffith Show?

Online pg1067

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 11:09:05 AM »
Another one that seems way off is Kansas, which is where Gunsmoke was set.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 03:05:31 PM »
There is no universe where One Tree Hill is more famous than The Andy Griffith Show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 03:14:34 PM »
To pg1067: the Inn is in the town I referenced, but it’s only for exterior shots, no scenes were filmed here that I know of.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 03:46:04 PM »
It blows me away that Grey’s Anatomy has been around for 18 seasons and not only have I never even seen an episode but I was today years old when I learned it was set in Washington.

I still say Fraser is more widely known.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online pg1067

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2022, 05:16:44 PM »
It blows me away that Grey’s Anatomy has been around for 18 seasons and not only have I never even seen an episode but I was today years old when I learned it was set in Washington.

Wow...I had no idea (and didn't know it's still on).  Although, now that I think about it, I do vaguely recall it being a contemporary of How I Met Your Mother, which ran 9 seasons and ended 8 years ago, so that checks out.  Maybe I'll check it out one of these days (of course, that's the same thing I've said for years about Lost).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2022, 06:20:34 PM »

Famous is a hard thing to define or measure, but interest in Seinfeld seemed to diminish significantly when the show went off the air.  Friends, however, remains hugely popular with massive followings in the U.S., England, Australia and many other countries.  However, as DA noted, there are NUMEROUS shows set in NY that have been massively popular.

According to the site:
We looked at how many awards any given show has won or was nominated for using IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes, as well as its cultural impact in today's world to determine the most famous TV show in every state.

I don't want to litigate this too deeply. A quick search tells me their ranking numbers are comparable. They mutually benefited from sharing the Thursday night slot, though Seinfeld premiered a few years earlier. I have no idea what is popular in today's terms. I don't watch TV but when I did it seemed like both were in syndication regularly. I just know I was there at the time, and Seinfeld became part of our zeitgeist at a level achieved only by a few shows.

And Gray's Anatomy may be more famous for WA, but Twin Peaks was a cultural phenomenon.

Twin Peaks was a big thing for a hot minute, until the ratings plummeted in Season 2.  Grey's Anatomy has been a juggernaut for 18 Seasons.  The latter is definitely more famous.

My initial thought for WA was Frasier, because I forgot about Grey's Anatomy. Wife watched it but I never did. Walked by one of the buildings used for exterior shots sometimes as I worked nearby. No problem conceding it should top the list for WA. I know it's not the point of the discussion, but the PNW was an integral part of Twin Peaks. The RR diner (which I've seen a few times but never eaten at), the Snoqualmie Falls (where I have eaten at), the trees Agent Cooper loved so much...the setting was almost its own character.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 07:58:25 AM »
There is no universe where One Tree Hill is more famous than The Andy Griffith Show.

Yeah, that shows some recency bias in the selection.

Online pg1067

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 09:52:57 AM »
I don't want to litigate this too deeply. A quick search tells me their ranking numbers are comparable. They mutually benefited from sharing the Thursday night slot, though Seinfeld premiered a few years earlier. I have no idea what is popular in today's terms. I don't watch TV but when I did it seemed like both were in syndication regularly. I just know I was there at the time, and Seinfeld became part of our zeitgeist at a level achieved only by a few shows.

Let's put it this way.  They could have selected any of Friends, Seinfeld, Law & Order, The Cosby Show, All in the Family or I Love Lucy, and it would have been hard for me to bicker with the choice.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 05:15:28 PM »

I'm really intrigued on how that show was still going.  My older sister would that show on when I was a teenager (which was around 15 years ago!) and I was reading on stuff on how there was consistent concerns of it being cancelled.  I never really liked it myself, but the right people must have liked it for it to keep going, so yeah.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 12:22:33 PM »

I'm really intrigued on how that show was still going.  My older sister would that show on when I was a teenager (which was around 15 years ago!) and I was reading on stuff on how there was consistent concerns of it being cancelled.  I never really liked it myself, but the right people must have liked it for it to keep going, so yeah.

It has been a top 10 or top 20 show for most of the show's run, and does even better in the 18-49 demographic, where it is often top 5.  So, I don't think there was ever any real danger of cancellation.

source

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2022, 03:05:19 AM »
I feel like Oklahoma's is about to change with Stallone's "Tulsa King" coming out. It's cool to see them looking for extras in my area.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2022, 04:59:01 AM »

The one you live in.  Seinfeld had more viewers when it initially ran, but Friends has had more enduring popularity.  It's more popular among young people and outside the US. 

And even in the US, you would have to think Friends is way bigger among women.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2022, 05:01:00 AM »
I guess they haven't heard of South Park for Colorado?  :huh:

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2022, 05:08:29 AM »
I'm from the UK but I can't believe Happy Days isn't/wasn't bigger than That 70's Show (something I'm only mildly aware off).  Happy Days was massive in the UK (at least!).  Also Smallville over Sgt Bilko/Phil Silvers Show (another huge one in the UK)?

Online pg1067

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2022, 11:05:45 AM »
I'm from the UK but I can't believe Happy Days isn't/wasn't bigger than That 70's Show (something I'm only mildly aware off).  Happy Days was massive in the UK (at least!).  Also Smallville over Sgt Bilko/Phil Silvers Show (another huge one in the UK)?

T-Ski mentioned Happy Days over That '70s Show, and I'm inclined to agree.  I think there's some fairly significant recency bias in a few of these.  That said, Sgt. Bilko and Phil Silvers are virtually unknown shows these days.  I think I saw some reruns back when I was in my teens (along with McHale's Navy and Gomer Pyle), but those shows aren't likely to resonate even for my generation.