Author Topic: How much JM doesn't want the spotlight  (Read 3060 times)

Offline erwinrafael

How much JM doesn't want the spotlight
« on: April 02, 2019, 01:49:35 AM »
This video of Barstool Warrior gets me every time:

BW in the Wiltern

JM deliberately walked out of his spot before the spotlight fell on him.  :lol

Good thing he changed in the next shows. :p

BW in Masonic

BW in CHicago

Offline Dream Team

Re: How much JM doesn't want the spotlight
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:00:10 AM »
Does anyone know of another musician who won’t look at the audience for 2.5 hrs? Besides Stevie Wonder?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 06:16:50 AM »
Does anyone know of another musician who won’t look at the audience for 2.5 hrs? Besides Stevie Wonder?

I saw Maynard James Keenan of Tool have his back to the fans the whole show once but he's just an odd dude.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 07:43:48 AM »
Miles Davis. And he was fully intentional about it and that's fine. I'd do the same if I could.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline bill1971

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 08:31:11 AM »

Too soon!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »

:clap:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »

Ray Charles  ;D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
Honestly, if they could find a skinny guy who had long dark hair and could play the parts, JM could retire from performing live, and no one would notice.

As a bass player, JM's "performance" was about the only truly disappointing thing about the show I saw.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 12:49:45 PM »
Ah he played wrong notes? That's unfortunate.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »

I saw Maynard James Keenan of Tool have his back to the fans the whole show once but he's just an odd dude.

I saw Fishbone live in the late 90's and the drummer was completely turned around with his back to the audience. He never turned around during the entire set.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 11:59:14 AM »
Honestly, if they could find a skinny guy who had long dark hair and could play the parts, JM could retire from performing live, and no one would notice.

Lol I would argue you can say that about any bassist  :P

Point taken, though. JM is certainly a bit...”different”. But that’s why we love him

Offline bill1971

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »

I saw Fishbone live in the late 90's and the drummer was completely turned around with his back to the audience. He never turned around during the entire set.

That's interesting. I wonder if it is stage fright?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »
Ah he played wrong notes? That's unfortunate.

I don't know.  I could barely hear the bass most of the night.

I don't need guys running and jumping all over the stage, but some animation -- or at least acknowledging that you're performing for a crowd -- would be nice.  I watched the Live in Tokyo and 5YIAL DVDs within a week or two before seeing the show, and the contrast between JM in the 90s and JM in 2019 is massive -- much more so than for JLB and JP.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 01:48:48 PM »

:lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 03:38:05 PM »
The first time I ever saw Dream Theater, they opened with ITPOE1, and within the first minute, JM was actually the first band member to step up to the front of the stage and look directly into the audience. I was blown away, knowing that he almost never does it. I have no idea what prompted him to do it.  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »
Well, he doesn't talk that much either.  So yeah, big surprise.  :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 11:01:13 PM »
Looks like a flub on the first video. He moved back into the spotlight.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 11:11:51 PM »
Looks like a flub on the first video. He moved back into the spotlight.

Yep, that's possible. But I love how big and deliberate his steps out of his spot are.  :lol

Offline robbob

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »
I think we have gotten used to JM, and it is shocking to see more animation out of him then usual.

On a different note:
His playing was great in Chicago, always is. And,was very audible. There's been other concerts where he was not as audible. I wonder if it depends on where you're sitting in the theater with relation to the bass in general.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 07:45:34 PM »

BW in the Wiltern

Er, not really.  The same spotlight also included Rudess, and it looked to me like Myung, who wasn't playing anything during that guitar/keyboard breakdown, was getting out of the spotlight to as not to take any attention away from Rudess.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
It just looks like JM didn't know his spot for the lighting for that section. Obviously it was corrected.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 11:05:19 PM »

BW in the Wiltern

Er, not really.  The same spotlight also included Rudess, and it looked to me like Myung, who wasn't playing anything during that guitar/keyboard breakdown, was getting out of the spotlight to as not to take any attention away from Rudess.

They have different spotlights, JM's opened when his turn during that break comes in. Anyway, yeah, it could just be a mistake. Just had a laugh with that vid.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 06:49:03 AM »
I've seen Stevie Wonder 5 times and he's always looking at the audience. He just can't see them.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 07:46:52 AM »
I've seen Stevie Wonder 5 times and he's always looking at the audience. He just can't see them.

Blind faith they have in him.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 10:13:45 AM »

Blind faith they have in him.

Predictable....

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »
JM is a really humble and quiet person and I respect the stink out of him for that. You really appreciate the bass parts in DT by watching him play live.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 10:09:42 AM »
JM is a really humble and quiet person and I respect the stink out of him for that. You really appreciate the bass parts in DT by watching him play live.

This tour marked my 16th DT show going back to 1992.  At every prior show, I have been surprised and impressed at what JM was playing because I could see him playing stuff that I could not hear on the albums.  As a bass player myself, I tend to focus on the bass player at just about all shows I attend.  However, the show last month in LA was the first time that I didn't see anything from JM that was impressive.  The other problem is that I shouldn't have to see what JM is doing to recognize that he is doing it.  In other words, it's the age old complaint that JM gets shafted by how DT albums are mixed, and this show was the first time since the very early days where I could barely hear the bass live.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
I could definitely hear him pretty clearly last night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2019, 10:16:34 AM »

This tour marked my 16th DT show going back to 1992.  At every prior show, I have been surprised and impressed at what JM was playing because I could see him playing stuff that I could not hear on the albums.  As a bass player myself, I tend to focus on the bass player at just about all shows I attend.  However, the show last month in LA was the first time that I didn't see anything from JM that was impressive.  The other problem is that I shouldn't have to see what JM is doing to recognize that he is doing it.  In other words, it's the age old complaint that JM gets shafted by how DT albums are mixed, and this show was the first time since the very early days where I could barely hear the bass live.

Are you complaining about him being shafted in the mix during the LA show, or even with the mix of the D/T album? Because he is really audible in D/T.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2019, 10:25:20 AM »

Are you complaining about him being shafted in the mix during the LA show, or even with the mix of the D/T album? Because he is really audible in D/T.

He was definitely lost in the mix at the LA show, and he is generally lost in the album mixes (although I would agree that this is a little better than usual on DOT).

Offline robbob

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »
For the most part, I think he's fairly audible on all of their albums. Though when JP is playing an especially heavy, crunchy riff he can get lost in the background a bit.

He was very audible at the Chicago show this time around. We were sitting in the balcony on the left side. A few other shows I've been to he was not as audible. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with where you are sitting in the theater due to the low frequencies of his bass in general, just a thought. Anyone else notice this.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 04:49:51 PM »
For the most part, I think he's fairly audible on all of their albums. Though when JP is playing an especially heavy, crunchy riff he can get lost in the background a bit.

He was very audible at the Chicago show this time around. We were sitting in the balcony on the left side. A few other shows I've been to he was not as audible. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with where you are sitting in the theater due to the low frequencies of his bass in general, just a thought. Anyone else notice this.

That's entirely possible.  It's also possible that they've refined things since the show I saw (third show of the tour).

As far as albums go, I generally think the bass is too low in the mix on just about every album that isn't a Rush or Yes album, so my album-related comments probably should be taken with a grain of salt.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2019, 08:41:22 PM »
I don't need guys running and jumping all over the stage, but some animation -- or at least acknowledging that you're performing for a crowd -- would be nice.

Have you ever considered that the way he carries himself on stage is what allows him to give YOU the best possible musical performance possible?

"Man, Robert Fripp sure is an asshole and old fuddy duddy.  He sits on his ass the entire show and is more concerned with making sure his sounds are right and different parts are played correctly than dancing for me!"

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 01:17:22 AM »
I don't need guys running and jumping all over the stage, but some animation -- or at least acknowledging that you're performing for a crowd -- would be nice.

Have you ever considered that the way he carries himself on stage is what allows him to give YOU the best possible musical performance possible?

"Man, Robert Fripp sure is an asshole and old fuddy duddy.  He sits on his ass the entire show and is more concerned with making sure his sounds are right and different parts are played correctly than dancing for me!"

He isn't nearly as animated as he was back in the day (none of them are) but I had a good time watching him in NYC a few nights ago.

Off topic: listening to Zappa right now and I'm going to that weird hologram thing in a couple weeks. I've never seen Zappa's music performed live and it would be a lot cooler if it was Dweezil playing but the ticket's free so...
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!