Poll

Which grouping of songs do you like best?

Foreplay/Long Time (Boston), Aqualung (Jethro Tull) & Jail Break (Thin Lizzy)
Runnin' with the Devil (Van Halen), Highway to Hell (AC/DC) & Southern Man (Neil Young)
Don't Fear the Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult), White Room (Cream) & Long Train Runnin' (Doobie Brothers)
Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin), Magic Man (Heart) & Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul McCartney)
Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who), Dream On (Aerosmith) & Strangehold (Ted Nugent)

Voting closes: January 11, 2025, 06:19:51 PM

Author Topic: Classic Rock Song Wars - Part II  (Read 2030 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Classic Rock Song Wars - Part II
« on: April 01, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
Vote for which grouping like you best.

3 all the way for me.  I love BOC and the Doobie Brothers, and White Room is Clapton at his best.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Classic Rock Song Wars - Part II
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 07:24:16 PM »
Definitely a hard choice between 1 and 3.

In the end I went with 1.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 10:44:47 PM »
Foreplay/Long Time 5
Aqualung 5
Jail Break 2 - Never got in to Thin Lizzy
Total: 12

Runnin' with the Devil 5
Highway to Hell 5
Southern Man 2
Total: 12

Don't Fear the Reaper 5
White Room 4 - Never got in to Cream but like this song
Long Train Runnin' 2 - Gah not more Doobie Bros.
Total: 11

Whole Lotta Love 4 - Not sure I ever need to hear this song again, but still great. I like how someone came up with "Retired Favorite." 
Magic Man 2
Maybe I'm Amazed 4 - Probably the only Sir Paul solo song I really like and always have.
Total: 10

Won't Get Fooled Again 5
Dream On 5 - Not sure how Aerosmith wrote such a legendary song so early on and then proceeded to thrive for decades on dreck. 
Strangehold 3 - Not a Nuge fan but this song is pretty good. Enough of a swing vote to send this group to the top.
Total: 13

Damn some legit 5* songs on here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
Let's see if this batch of songs is better than yesterday's!

Category 1:  Foreplay/Long Time - 4.5; Aqualung - 4; Jail Break - 1.5.  Total - 10.

Category 2:  Runnin' with the Devil - 2.5; Highway to Hell - 2.5; Southern Man - 1.5.  Total - 6.5.

Category 3:  Don't Fear the Reaper - 4; White Room 2.5; Long Train Runnin' - not familiar.  Total - 6.

Category 4:  Whole Lotta Love - 3.5; Magic Man - 3.5; Maybe I'm Amazed - 2.5.  Total - 9.5.

Category 5:  Won't Get Fooled Again - 4.5; Dream On - 3.5; Stranglehold - 1.5.  Total - 9.5.

Long Time is the "worst" of three stellar songs on side 1 of Boston's debut.

Jail Break is one of the lyrically dumbest songs of all time:  "Tonight there's gonna be a jail break somewhere in this town."  Yeah, I'm really not sure where the jail break might occur.  Maybe at Macy's?  Maybe at the VFW hall?  Gosh, I just don't know!  And no, a "town" is not going to have more than one jail.  That said, it's one of the few tolerable Thin Lizzy songs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »
Jail Break is one of the lyrically dumbest songs of all time:  "Tonight there's gonna be a jail break somewhere in this town."  Yeah, I'm really not sure where the jail break might occur.  Maybe at Macy's?  Maybe at the VFW hall?  Gosh, I just don't know!  And no, a "town" is not going to have more than one jail.  That said, it's one of the few tolerable Thin Lizzy songs.

:lol

That's funny. That's been brought up before.

But it's that last part I don't understand. Jailbreak is one of the most average songs in their catalog.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 10:15:03 AM »

:lol

That's funny. That's been brought up before.

But it's that last part I don't understand. Jailbreak is one of the most average songs in their catalog.

There are two TL songs I know by name (I'm sure you can figure out the other).  A long time ago, the drummer in my band really wanted the guitarist and me to get into TL and played us either a "greatest hits" package or a live album.  I couldn't stand any of it.  So, when I say that Jail Break is one of the few tolerable TL songs, that really only means it's better than TBABIT and whatever else I might have heard 25+ years ago.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 10:16:31 AM »
Thin Lizzy is one of my favorite bands.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 10:25:50 AM »
That's hilarious about that lyric. I likewise couldn't name more than 2 of their songs, and 0 of theirs I enjoy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 10:39:10 AM »
You're missing out!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 11:02:13 AM »
I know I'm in the minority - and fair play, Whiskey In The Jar and Emerald are EXCELLENT - but my like/love of Thin Lizzy is forever tainted that the first two songs I heard were Jail Break and TBABIT.  I despise both those songs.   Having said that, I'm a HUGE Robbo fan, so who knows? Maybe I'll get over it and embrace the rest of their catalogue.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 11:10:13 AM »
I need more time to think about these particular groups, but I have to say I've always hated Jail Break and that utterly ridiculous line. But mostly because of that terrible vocal delivery, that half-singing, half-talking stuff doesn't jibe with me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 11:12:09 AM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 12:54:50 PM »
Are you canoodling the back of the statute's left knee?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 12:57:06 PM »
That's the best I could do. :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »
Toss up between 1 and 2.  Both have two songs I really like and one that I'm not much of a fan.  I'll pick 2

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 04:01:00 PM »
Regarding Jailbreak, maybe they were talking about 2c below. I could see that happening somewhere in town.   ;D

jailbreak

noun
   1. an escape from prison, especially by forcible means.
   2. Digital Technology.

a. an instance of gaining access to the operating system of a smartphone, tablet, etc., especially one manufactured by Apple.
            b. a software program or piece of hardware used to accomplish this: You'll need a jailbreak to run unauthorized apps.
            c. an instance of circumventing restrictions on access to any computer system or digital content.

As for the poll, Foreplay/Long TIme is probably the best track there for me but I'm not a fan of the others in the group. With that, I went 5.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »
Regarding Jailbreak, maybe they were talking about 2c below. I could see that happening somewhere in town.   ;D

jailbreak

noun
   2. Digital Technology.

a. an instance of gaining access to the operating system of a smartphone, tablet, etc., especially one manufactured by Apple.
            b. a software program or piece of hardware used to accomplish this: You'll need a jailbreak to run unauthorized apps.
            c. an instance of circumventing restrictions on access to any computer system or digital content.

So the song is really a time travel adventure?!  I'll have to give it another listen.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 08:00:12 PM »

jailbreak

noun
   2. Digital Technology.

So the song is really a time travel adventure?!  I'll have to give it another listen.

Totally! Maybe the change in context will help people. I couldn't resist.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 08:01:20 PM »
You guys are killing me. I didn't think not liking Thin Lizzy was possible!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 08:06:36 PM »
Thin Lizzy is solid, although there were like 284 rock bands in the 70's that were better.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
This thread officially blows! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 08:16:01 PM »
You could say it blows somewhere in this town.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 08:22:10 PM »
I am honestly surprised they are as popular as they are. Dude got a statue? So honest question then... I only know Jailbreak and Boys Are Back in Town and those are at best run of the mill 70s rock songs, to Kev's point. Some bands can be associated with their radio hits that are not among their best material. Is that the case here?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
I am honestly surprised they are as popular as they are. Dude got a statue? So honest question then... I only know Jailbreak and Boys Are Back in Town and those are at best run of the mill 70s rock songs, to Kev's point. Some bands can be associated with their radio hits that are not among their best material. Is that the case here?

Jailbreak has to be one of their most average or below average song in their catalog.

I never even considered that people did not like The Boys Are Back In Town. As big a fan as I am of their entire catalog, and as overplayed as it is, I will never get sick of hearing it. I consider it one of the greatest songs of all time.

The statue is in Dublin.

Emerald comes from the Jailbreak album.

Chris, I'll put something together for you and get it off to you in the next few days..

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 08:33:57 PM »
I consider it one of the greatest songs of all time.

And you called ME a dork!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »
Until you have a mullet Mike, you'll never understand.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 08:35:49 PM »

I never even considered that people did not like The Boys Are Back In Town. As big a fan as I am of their entire catalog, and as overplayed as it is, I will never get sick of hearing it. I consider it one of the greatest songs of all time.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

It's a good tune, but one of the greatest of all time??

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 08:37:35 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 08:39:09 PM »
Tell me about it.  We have some weirdo calling The Boys Are Back in Town one of the greatest songs ever. :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
Calling WildRanger….

Time for a new thread!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2019, 08:43:52 PM »

Chris, I'll put something together for you and get it off to you in the next few days..

Please share.  Because I don't see it either, but I also know enough about music to know that there SHOULD be something good there.  Some of my favorite bands look up to Lizzy as gods, and I know for a fact that both Brian Robertson and John Sykes are monster players, and Snowy White is no slouch either.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2019, 09:23:18 PM »
TAC as much as I appreciate a friend introducing me to new music, I wouldn't spend too much time on this for my sake :)

Kev, I count maybe 6-7 songs that are the respective artists' either greatest hit or most well known song. Was that intentional in this round? You usually don't seem to pick the band's most identifiable hit.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 02:17:56 AM »
Whole Lotta Love is the best song in the entire poll, but a fifth group easily rules over others.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 02:25:46 AM »
Jail Break - 1.5

It seems Thin Lizzy is really underappreciated in your book.
I know you are a Maiden fan, but I have to tell you this: most songs in the 80's Iron Maiden catalog would barely exist if not for Thin Lizzy's Emerald.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 02:42:19 AM by WildRanger »

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 02:29:18 AM »
Thin Lizzy is solid, although there were like 284 rock bands in the 70's that were better.

Wrong!  ;D